Disclaimer: All recognisable characters etc. are property of DC Comics, Warner Bros and December 3rd Productions.

Author's note: Set during 'And The Answer Is...' between Clark defrosting Lois and their walk in Centennial Park

I almost lost her today.

Completely and irrevocably.

Lois Lane nearly died today, and by my hand.

If I thought almost losing Lois to Daniel Scardino was painful, it was nothing compared to this. When she didn’t revive after I warmed her up… For those few indescribably appalling moments, I thought I’d killed her. The fact that she’d asked me to freeze her, that I’d been put in the impossible position of choosing between Lois and my parents… none of that mattered.

All that mattered was that she was dead, and that I would have to live the rest of my life- however long that may be- with the knowledge that I’d found my soulmate… and killed her. I’ve worried so often that she’d get into trouble and I wouldn’t be there to save her; I never thought that I would be the one she needed saving from.

The nightmare conclusion didn’t happen.

Lois lives.

And she loves me.

She was willing to give her life to save my parents. If I’d been unsure before about just how much she cared for me, I certainly know now.

The knowledge that Lois Lane loves me, Clark Kent- the way I’d always dreamed of- is like a bubble of elation in my chest, warming me from the inside. Despite the events of the last few days, I know I’m grinning like a fool. She loves me. And this afternoon when I let her at her apartment, I finally got to tell her that I love her too.

She almost gave her life for me. How can I do less than offer her my heart and soul?

Now I’m back, standing in front of her door. I take a deep breath and pat my pocket, making sure that the small velvet box is still safe before I raise my hand to knock.

I’m going to do it.

I’m going to ask Lois to marry me.

And then I’m going to tell her about Superman.

Last edited by NostalgiaKick; 11/18/16 09:52 AM. Reason: Changed a word

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg