Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#272703 11/16/16 04:42 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I don't remember Stryker's Island being mentioned in L&C at all, as a prison or otherwise, but if anyone knows differently, feel free to let me know. Hopefully I'm remembering correctly, though, and no one minds me turning it into an abandoned prison island for the sake of this story.

Hope you all enjoy this chapter (and by enjoy, I mean, be okay with feeling heartbroken for Clark)!

Blogger
Blogger
My goodness, you don't mess around, do you? When you tear them apart, you go full blast! The way you write Clark here feels a lot more vulnerable than anything I've read of yours with Lois. Clark passed out on the ground from heartbreak is definitely not my favorite thing, but I guess going 48 hours without sleep will do that to you. Although if I'm being honest, he's just spent so much time being strong and taking care of Lois that anything this emotional feels foreign to me! I love your ending though, letting him have that emotional low and then shooting him back up. Clark would find a way to get on, with Superman, with the Planet, with everything. I'm glad he's trying!

I also love his active role in trying to figure out what's up with the voice. It's been a good way to keep him in the action and make him more important than merely the victim of Lois's sympathetic story. You did a great job with Martha and Jonathan.

"I really do believe that we're all put here on this earth, or whatever planet we're put on, to do better than we think we can. To be kind, helpful, generous, and forgiving."
"You know something, CK? She's a class act."
"I've always thought so."
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks, Annie! This chapter was hard to write, and after reading it back through, I kind of played around with a few other ways of showing his heartbreak, but this was the only way that felt right. As you pointed out, he's had a lot of his plate besides the relationship, and the stress of it all was enough to bring him, temporarily, to his knees. But one of my very favorite things about Clark -- and one of the reasons I think he's proved to be such an enduring character -- is how he never gives up. He always comes back fighting, and I wanted to emphasize that in some way. And Martha and Jonathan are always a favorite of mine to write for!

Kerth
Kerth
“Besides,” Jonathan says, breaking the silence after a moment, “if she doesn’t love Clark Kent, she doesn’t deserve Superman.”
Well, now, isn't that the truth?! Clark's in pain right now, wallowing in rejection, but he ultimately needs to reclaim his sense of self. No one should define themselves in terms of another. After he processes his pain, I hope that Clark will see the wisdom of Jonathan's words. As RuPaul says, "If you can't love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love somebody else?" Lois and Clark should each be asking themselves that question at this point in your story!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh my! What a heartbreaking chapter! I don't blame the poor guy one iota for losing all his strength and desire to be Clark. Although, I could also see him losing his desire to be Superman too, since Superman is what he thinks caused Lois not to love Clark.

Love Jonathan and Martha! Always so level headed and loving. Clark really should listen to them though. They are totally right about him talking to Lois...

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Yeah, Clark's a mess here, groobie -- it wouldn't be one of my stories if he weren't, I suppose! cool

Jonathan and Martha are always such a joy to write, DC, especially when I get to present the three Kents as a real cohesive team!

Thanks for reading!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard