When Churches Come Crashing Down
Folc4evernaday
Part 44

“I don’t believe it,” Lucy shook her head adamantly.

“It’s right there on T.V.” Jimmy pointed at the screen. “That’s all everyone’s been talking about.”

“Clark wouldn’t lie to us like that. Lois wouldn’t keep something like that from us. It just doesn’t make sense. I think there’s something else going on here.”

“There may be something else going on,” Jimmy acknowledged, “but there is also something going on with Superman. Why does he only give the exclusives to your sister and CK? Why always the Planet?”

“My sister? You’re not claiming Lois as a friend anymore?” Lucy asked, questioning his word choice.

“I don’t know.” Jimmy shrugged. “I don’t know what I’m doing.”

“Well, I say its bologna and you need to stop reading the Tattletale Weekly. There are more important things to focus on than the latest rumor in Metropolis.” Lucy snapped irritably.

“I… I’m sorry, Luce, I guess I wasn’t thinking.” Jimmy apologized.

“Please, just stop. She’s my sister and I would know if she were hiding something this big,” Lucy pleaded. “We need to find Amanda and stop her.”

Lois reached up and grabbed both sides of Clark’s face, pulling him down to kiss her. She could still feel the moisture on his cheeks. A shudder ran down her spine as she leaned back against the mattress and pulled him on top of her. She loved kissing him. She lightly traced a path through his hair with her fingertips, enjoying the feel of his hair against her hands. He moaned into her mouth as she lightly tugged on his bottom lip with her teeth. She lightly teased him with the tip of her tongue; inviting him to explore her mouth. “Clark…” She moaned against him.

Oh, God, she needed this. She needed to lose herself in his arms. She needed to feel his skin against hers. She was hurting. She was scared. The only thing she knew was how good it felt in his arms. The passion between them slowly began to build into a raging inferno as she tightened her arms around him. She had held Jordan in her arms, rocking back and forth for what seemed like hours and then finally laid him in his room. Martha had offered to sleep in there with him to make sure he was okay so she and Clark could get some rest.

The euphoria that had taken over her mind during their lovemaking slowly began to dissipate. Their clothes lay strewn all over the floor as she lay in Clark’s arms. She let out a heavy sigh, silently resting her head against Clark’s chest. Question after question began to race through her mind as she listened to the heartbeat drumming against her ear. She could feel the sorrow that had overtaken her once before creeping up on her, but it didn’t seem quite as intense. Somehow, the idea of facing this crisis together rather than how they had faced everything a year ago was comforting in its own way.

She would find her son’s kidnapper and make her pay dearly for attacking her family.

Hannah Dorsey beamed as her colleagues surrounded her desk with words of enthusiasm and congratulations. She had cracked the case. She had solved the case even Inspector Bill Henderson couldn’t solve after over a year of working on it. She couldn’t help but feel her head swell just a bit.

“Congratulations, Dorsey,” Detective Wolf held up his glass of champagne, congratulating her once more. “Didn’t know you had it in you,”

“Thanks,” She wrinkled her nose, “I think,”

“Now, are you ready to see your work pay off?” Detective Wolf asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Your first arrest,” He prodded. “It’s your case now,”

Sam stared at the wall, drumming his fingers against his wood grain desk. He had the greatest secret at his fingertips. What would he do with it? He could sell it. He would be the richest man known to man. Maybe even richer than Lex Luthor even thought of being—

--but he couldn’t do that to his family. His daughter would never forgive him. His grandchildren would be constantly at risk.

No, he couldn’t do that. He would have to take the road less traveled in this instance—well, for him anyway—and put his family’s needs above his own for once.

First, however, he would have to talk to Lois and Clark.

“You ready?” Detective Wolf helped Dorsey with her bulletproof vest as they geared up for picking up Miranda. They’d already called for back-up. She was nervous. “Relax,”

“Is it always this nerve racking?” She asked.

“First time’s always the hardest.” He reassured her. “It gets easier with time.”

“I hope so,” She let out a long breath, “Okay, let’s get going,”

“After you,” He motioned for her to go first. “This is your show,”

“And based on the evidence before us, we can conclude that Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet is, in fact, Superman. This concludes tonight’s Top Copy segment. Thank you and Goodnight,”

The haunting image of Dianna Stride disappeared and the screen went black.

Sam Lane clicked the television off. He had to stop this. He couldn’t let the world destroy his family because of one person’s greed. Dianna wasn’t even around to contradict or validate the story. He had to do something.

Arianna tapped her fingers against her desk as she waited impatiently. She was growing impatient. Miranda was being followed. They had to act fast if they were going to pull this off. Stealing Superman’s powers was no easy feat and with the way things were going they’d have to put the plan in action sooner rather than later.

“There you are!” Arianna sighed in relief when she saw Miranda’s silhouette darken the doorway. “I was beginning to get worried.”

“I had to make sure I didn’t leave anything behind,” Miranda explained, gesturing to her cat in the small cage next to her feet.

“You brought your cat?” Arianna asked skeptically.

“He’s more than just a cat,” Miranda chastised, “He’s helped me develop most of my most successful solutions.”

“Whatever,” Arianna shrugged. “We need to get going. The longer we sit around the more likely we will get caught.”

“Yeah, the authorities are probably already searching my place.” Miranda groaned.

“Pretty smart of Mindy to bug the police station when she stopped by last,” Arianna commented.

“Yeah, she’s full of surprises,” Miranda responded dryly. “So where’s everyone else?”

“Putting the rest of the plan together,” Arianna gestured to the chair next to her, “Sit down, relax, and have a glass of wine. It’ll be a little bit before we move,”

“You sure this is going to work?”

“Positive,” Arianna beamed, “It’ll flow just like clockwork,”

“It’s clear!” Detective Wolf called out as they entered the last room of Miranda’s apartment.

“No!” Dorsey cried out in frustration. “This was it! I know it!”

“Maybe, but Miranda ain’t here anymore.” Wolf shrugged. “It happens sometimes, but at least we can search the place without any interruptions.”

Dorsey scowled at him. “I wanted to get her.”

“You will,” Wolf smirked at her, “but now you build a more solid case and figure out where she ran to and why.” He picked up a binder that had been sitting on the desk in front of them and handed it to Dorsey. “Fun reading.”

Miranda smiled to herself as she headed to the airport. The final loose ends that had been left after her murder of Lana Lang had been taken care of. No one would miss Amanda Marshall. She'd been a kidnapper and labeled a psychotic over the last year by the media after her kidnapping of Lois Lane and Clark Kent's baby. She had staged it perfectly to look like a suicide.

The note of remorse for kidnapping the Kents' baby last year and the unwillingness to face the world without a child of her own was a perfect touch. No one would be the wiser.

“Gotham Airlines,” The cab driver said, breaking Miranda from her thoughts.

“Thank you,” Miranda said, reaching into her purse to pay the cab driver before she got out and went to catch her flight back to Metropolis.

“So, Nigel St. John was behind this whole operation?” Inspector Henderson asked skeptically.

“Well, not everything, but a good part of it.” Mindy admitted shyly, “He was trying to get me to partner up with him, and I couldn’t do such a thing. All I have left of Billy is his chain of CostMart stores and he was trying to tarnish my good name by turning it into a criminal organization. Can you believe that? I’m not real smart when it comes to business, but I do know right from wrong,”

“I see,” Henderson nodded. “What exactly did Mr. St. John ask you to do?”

“Well,” Mindy leaned forward, “which time?”

Henderson pulled out a pad of paper and put it in front of her, “Why don’t you just write everything down first so you can organize your thoughts better.”

“Oh, thank you, Inspector,” Mindy beamed, “I can’t tell you how thankful I am that you’re taking the time to listen to me,”

“My pleasure, Mrs. Church,”

“Oh, Mindy, please,” She cooed.

“Mindy,” he repeated with a forced smile. “Just write down what happened and we’ll get to the bottom of it.”

Hannah Dorsey stared at the numerous piles of files in front of her, shaking her head. “Was this really what she wanted to do? Every time she broke a case would she be buried in paperwork like this?

“How’s it going, Dorsey?” Detective Wolf asked, approaching behind her.

She sat up, reaching for the next file. “Fine, just …working.”

“Yeah, I bet,” Wolf grinned back at her. “You want some help?”

“Please?” She smiled up at him, “I have no idea what I’m doing here…or looking for.”

“Well, you’re in luck. I happen to be an expert in mountains of paperwork.”

“Good, because this is a mountain of paperwork,” Hannah smiled back at him.

Arianna removed her protective goggles, blinking as her eyes readjusted to the loss of electrical light in the room once she'd turned the machine off.

She approached Mindy, removing the protective restraints she had been bound in, “How are you feeling?”

“I...” Mindy mumbled groggily.

“Come on, on your feet,” Arianna said, helping her up.

“Thanks,” Mindy said.

“Better?” Arianna asked.

“Much,” Mindy said.

“Good. We'll need to run some tests to make sure the transfer was successful.”

“Okay, I'm ready whenever you are,” Mindy said.

“How about now?” Arianna asked, turning to her with a gun.

“Arianna, no!!” Mindy screamed as she was fired upon. The bullets bounced off of her and she looked down in shock.

“I'd say you passed the first test with flying colors.” Arianna smiled. “Of course we need to do some more testing then we need to plan...”

“You can plan,” Mindy cut her off. “Look at me,” Mindy said as she floated off the ground. “I'm flying. I'm invincible. I'm going to have some fun.”

“Wait..” Arianna began, but before she could finish Mindy was gone. “That miserable ungrateful imbecile.” She muttered under her breath.

“Everyone move, move, move,” Police Chief, Gary Anderson ordered. “As stated before, James Turner aka Lex Luthor is considered to be armed and extremely dangerous. Do not underestimate him. His last encounter with the law entailed him jumping off his penthouse balcony. He will not escape justice again.”

The patrol officers nodded, grabbing their gear as they headed out the door to hit the streets and begin searching for Luthor.

Mindy stood on the roof of Turner Enterprises screaming at the top of her lungs. “Help! Help Superman Help!”

“Keep going,” Arianna ordered over the radio.

“HELP!!” She cried.

A whoosh was heard and Mindy turned to face Superman. “Oh, goody! You came to my rescue!”

“Always good to he--- lp...” Superman fell to the ground in pain, falling unconscious.

“How exactly are we supposed to get him down now?” Mindy asked.

Arianna shook her head. “You're a strong girl. You can manage.”

His empire had been destroyed. Everything he'd worked for, all his plans were in ruins. How could this have happened? Who was responsible?

Lex threw his fist against the solid brick wall, screaming in agony upon impact. His adrenaline was pumping, his anger was out of control.

He would have his revenge. His life had been destroyed. His empire destroyed. The person responsible would pay one way or another.

“What took you so long?” Arianna snapped when she saw Miranda out of the corner of her eye.

“I had to take care of some unfinished businesses.” Miranda explained.

“Such as?” Arianna asked.

“That nurse that witnessed Lana Lang's deadly accident,” Miranda explained.

“Well, so good of you to clean up after yourself without any encouragement,” Arianna said as she checked the settings on the computer once more. She turned to Miny who was standing on the other side of the room. “Are you ready?”

“I was born for this,” Mindy said coldly.

“You got Superman?” Miranda asked.

“More or less,” Arianna replied. She pointed at the metal wall on the other side of the room. Might want to take cover.”

“Well, I've gotten quite a bit of information from Amanda's old co-workers,” Lucy said proudly, stealing a chip from Jimmy's lunch that was scattered across his desk haphazardly.

“Oh, yeah?” Jimmy asked, intrigued by the new information.

“Apparently Dr. Benzen and Amanda were somewhat of an item,” Lucy said, flipping through her notes. “She had gotten pregnant and lost the baby from some kind of disorder. Anyway, long story short she couldn't carry a baby to term. She then became obsessed with trying to have a baby to replace the one she lost. Adoption, foster care, and so on...”

“And was there a reason why she never pursued these LEGAL means of having a child?”

“Yes, there is,” Lucy smiled, “She apparently couldn't pass the psychological exam.”

“Big surprise.” Jimmy snorted.

Lucy thwacked him with her notebook. “Watch it.”

“Sorry, but this one's been two grapes short of a fruit basket since we met her,” Jimmy explained. “Any inclination on where her family is?”

Lucy shook her head. “Nope. No family. Just an old house that was left to her about 10 years ago.”

Jimmy reached for the phone, “I'll phone CK,”

“I already sent the info to them and Henderson,” Lucy added with a smirk.

“Well, then what does that leave me to do?” Jimmy asked.

Lucy smiled, “So glad you asked.” She handed him the file on Dianna Stride. “Let's get to cracking.”

“Gordon,” the commissioner of Gotham City answered his phone gruffly. “Whoa whoa whoa, slow down. Inspector…You want me to what?”

“We’ve got a kidnapper at large,” Henderson said as he spoke to Commissioner Gordon on the phone. Last known address was there in Gotham City. She put a large deposit down on a town home. I need you to see if you can find her..She’s pretty dangerous.”

“What makes you think she’s in Gotham City?” Gordon asked.

“We think this home is where she planned to take the baby she tried to kidnap. Please just check it out for me? If you come up with anything you can reach me at Metropolis City Hall.” Henderson pleaded.

“Fine…” Gordon muttered.

“One more thing….” Henderson said, “How do you feel about the press?”

“Press?”

Lois took a deep breath as she watched the Gotham police break down the door to Amanda Marshall's house. She had no idea how Henderson had been able to convince Gordon to let her and Clark tag along on the raid but she was so grateful. Lucy and Jimmy were working on trying to discredit Dianna Stride’s accusations. In the meantime, Clark was trying to be extra cautious on the comings and goings of his alter-ego. So far they hadn’t heard anything from the Superman double.

Anxiety filled her mind. She fidgeted beneath the kevlar vest she'd been ordered to put on before Commissioner Gordon would allow her within ten feet of the Marshall home. Commissioner Gordon's radio chirped and the lead officer's voice resonated loudly, “We've got a body!”

<<'Body???'>>

“Oh, God!” She whimpered, trying to keep her composure as she and Clark waited to hear more information from the officers. What if she was dead? She’d never see justice served. Never see that horrible woman punished for what she’d done…Clark put a supportive arm around her, holding her close, whispering words of reassurances to her.

The chirp of the radio beeped once more, “Yeah, it looks like a suicide. Amanda Marshall is confirmed dead.”

Lois breathed a sigh of anguish. Commissioner Gordon responded, “Perimeter clear?”

“Clear,” the radio chirped. “No one else is here.”

Gordon turned to Lois and Clark, “I’m sorry,”

Lois sighed, shaking her head, “Me too.”

Sam Lane knew Clark was Superman. Lois and Clark looked at one another nervously, uncertain of how to react to this news. What would he do with this information? Sam had been a scientist first and foremost. His family had come second to him for years.

“I figured its time I came clean about a lot of things,” Sam began. “My part in that little boy's kidnapping was minimal. He was brought to me to conduct tests on and I turned him into the police. I never was a part of the kidnapping.”

“Why didn't you say something?” Lois asked.

“My life, my career, and my family were threatened. I couldn't do or say anything.” Sam explained.

Lois and Clark glanced at one another, uncertain of what to say. It seemed Sam had an explanation for everything.

“I'm sorry for the way I've been in the past,” Sam continued. “I want you to know I will not share this information with anyone.”

Lois and Clark sighed in relief, “We appreciate that, Sam,” Clark said.

“I wouldn't do anything to purposefully harm my own family,” He added.

“What about Lucy?” Lois asked.

“What do you mean?” Sam asked.

“What happened that night she was shot?” Lois asked.

“I don't know.” Sam sighed. “I wish I did, but I don't know.”

“Who threatened you?” Lois asked.

“He said he was with Intergang.”

“Who?” Clark pressed.

“Nigel.” Sam said. “I only got a first name.”

Lois and Clark looked at one another. They both knew it couldn't be a coincidence.

“Attention all units....” Clark's super hearing picked up a radio call from a nearby police car.

“Uh..” Clark gave Lois that familiar look.

“Go,” Lois nodded.

Clark stood up and spun into his Superman suit, “I'll be back soon.”

With that he was gone, leaving Sam and Lois alone in the living room. Sam stared at the space Clark had just vacated. “Wow,”

“Yeah, it does that to you,” Lois said wistfully.

Alarms were blaring from one end of the city to the other. Clark couldn’t decide where to go first. The police department had been destroyed, the fire department was in ruins and the streets of Metropolis were demolished. It looked like the work of a super-powered being. He’d thought his clone had moved past such childish behavior, but it looked like the clone was acting out again.

He had a long night ahead of him.

The room was spinning and his breath was ragged. He felt weak. “Superman?”

A voice called out to him but he couldn’t answer. What was wrong? Why couldn’t he talk? He couldn’t move. It was so dark.

“What happened here, Inspector?” Clark asked as he floated Inspector Henderson outside of the ruins of the Metropolis Police Department.

“I, uh, I wish I knew, Superman,” Henderson replied dryly. “She came in, then Boom!—This..” He motioned to the ruins of the police department building. Several officers surrounded the site, helping fellow officers and detectives to safety.

“She?”

Clark asked.

“Mindy Church,” Henderson replied dryly. “She had this red glare in her eyes then everything caught on fire. It was hard to keep track after that.”

Clark nodded, patting Henderson on the shoulder, “Thank you, Inspector,” He motioned to the sky, “I’ll be back. Do you have everything under control here?”

“Yes,” Henderson nodded, “Good luck, Superman.”

S.T.A.R. Labs was in ruins. Lex couldn’t help but laugh. He wasn’t sure what had happened but someone had made his job even easier. Scientists were running around, trying to save their experiments in the ruins; Lex was able to slip through the crowd unnoticed. He had had a map of S.T.A.R. Labs and where to find what he needed, but breaking into the Kryptonite vault may have been easier with the walls up. It was hard to find anything in the rubble that was left.

Mrs. Cox, reached down to check Superman’s pulse and shook her head, “He’s dead Arianna,”

Arianna slammed her fist against the desk, “Damn! Mindy still hasn’t returned.”

Mrs. Cox pointed to the television, “She has been busy,”

“A bit too busy if you ask me,” Arianna sniped. “Help me carry the body,”

“Blast!” Lex fumed. “No!” He was furious. The Kryptonite vault was empty. What had happened? Had someone beaten him to his own score? Who?

Could it have been Mindy? Maybe Nigel? Or Arianna?

He would have to figure it out.

“Thank you so much for your services, Mrs. Cox,” Arianna gleamed as she looked down on her body. Hobb’s Bay would gain two more bodies to be fished out today. “Always a pleasure,” She added before pushing Mrs. Cox’s corpse into the bay.

She then turned to Superman’s body, “And as for you…”

Lois watched the television in rapt attention, images of Metropolis’ destruction were shown as reporters narrated the scene. “That is so awful,”

She glanced at the phone, then to the window. Martha gave her a knowing look. “Lois,” She began, anticipating what Lois was already planning.

“I know,” Lois nodded. “It’s too late. I’m exhausted.”

“You should get some sleep. Hopefully, Clark will be home soon.” Martha added.

“Yeah,” Lois nodded, “If not, I’ll get started on this tomorrow.”

Martha laughed, “Can’t teach an old dog new tricks,”

“I’m a reporter; it’s what I do.” Lois headed upstairs. First, she stopped in Jordan’s room to make sure he was okay, reassuring herself that he was indeed safe. He lay curled up in his crib with his arm around his favorite teddy bear and the other arm tucked behind his head. She leaned down to kiss him goodnight once more, then closed the door behind her. She then peeked in on Laura to check on her. She was sleeping soundly in her bassinet. She smiled in her sleep. Lois couldn’t help but laugh. She leaned down to kiss her goodnight.

Her room seemed so empty when she entered. After everything she’d gone through today she really just wanted to lose herself in her husband’s arms. Unfortunately, her husband was also the man flying throughout the city, helping to rescue thousands of people from the wreckage that a super-powered Mindy Church had created. A small price she had to pay for being married to Superman was she couldn’t always have him home every night.

She found his t-shirt from earlier in the day and slipped it on before climbing beneath the covers and curling up in bed. The soft scent of his cologne still lingered on the shirt and she breathed it in with a sigh of relief, grateful for that little piece of him that had stayed with her for the night. She slowly drifted off to sleep, praying for Clark’s safe return.

“Stop!”

The demanding voice came from behind her. Mindy turned around with a smirk, “Superman, so good of you to join me.”

“Put the bus down,” Clark ordered. “Those people have done nothing to you,”

“But it’s so much fun,” Mindy shot back. “Do you have any idea how liberating it is to finally have some control in my life? I call the shots now. I decide what happens. No one else…”

“That’s fine,” Clark tried to reason with her, “but those people haven’t done anything to you. There’s no reason to tear up Metropolis,”

Mindy threw the bus to the ground and the people’s screams could be heard as they anticipated the fall. Clark caught the bus before it could hit the ground. He gently placed them back on the ground. Mindy laughed, “Catch me if you can?”

She was trying to get away. Clark aimed a blast of heat vision at her ankle, hoping to get her attention long enough to stop her. What happened next surprised him. “Ouch!”

Mindy and he both looked at one another in shock. “Ouch?” Clark asked.

Nigel stared out at the harbor, looking down at the water. The police had been there earlier, fishing out two more bodies, Superman’s—or at least what appeared to be him—and Mrs. Cox. She had been a loyal employee for years and now she was gone. He hung his head solemnly. He hated that she’d succumbed to the likes of Arianna. He’d have to take his revenge soon.

A cold hard object pressed against the back of his neck and a hand grasped his throat from behind. Only one person would have the guts to come at him like this. “L-Lex?” He rasped out.

“One false move and you’ll be joining the rest of your funeral party,” Lex snapped. “Where is it?”

“Where is what?” Nigel asked.

“You know what! The Kryptonite. What have you done with it?” Lex asked angrily.

“I-I…”

“Is it really worth dying over, Nigel? You can’t use it if you’re dead; which you will be in 3, 2, …”

“Okay okay…” Nigel caved, pulling a small box out of his pocket. “I have it,”

TBC...

Last edited by folc4evernaday; 11/01/16 10:44 AM.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube