Print Thread
#272451 10/31/16 02:35 AM
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Feedback folder.

This is a WIP; I've got multiple chapters up my sleeve, but it looks like it's going to be a long one (at least by my standards).
I'll be posting once a week.

It bugs me that Luthor didn't make an attempt to figure out Superman's identity after The Foundling, and it also bugs me that he apparently didn't recognise Jack in Fly Hard. So this is my attempt at righting those two things...

Feli

Last edited by NostalgiaKick; 10/31/16 02:43 AM. Reason: added note

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow--really interesting, Feli smile !

And you know? Your points really do make a TON of sense! I've never found myself really thinking through either thought, but totally! wallbash

Just why wouldn't Lex look into Superman's identity after The Foundling? It seems pretty crazy that Lex didn't figure things out (or at least look into things a little closer). And Jack! shock Talk about a glaring irony! Lex would have to recognize him, and yet, nothing comes of this...

I was really impressed by the process Lex used--looking into Jack's theft, which led Lex to Clark's burglary, which then led Lex to Clark's friendship with Jack, and then to Clark's history. If anyone were to look into 'Clark Kent' it really wouldn't be too hard to find the connections to Superman (plus, that nagging fact they look pretty much alike wink ).

Looking forward to more!!!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 10/31/16 06:02 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Morning smile

Originally Posted by LMA
Just why wouldn't Lex look into Superman's identity after The Foundling? It seems pretty crazy that Lex didn't figure things out (or at least look into things a little closer). And Jack! shock Talk about a glaring irony! Lex would have to recognize him, and yet, nothing comes of this...

The only explanation I've ever been able to come up with is that Luthor puts the whole 'marry Lois/destroy the Daily Planet/kill Superman' scheme into action before he gets a chance to look into anything else, but even that doesn't make a lot of sense. Considering that Luthor is definitely familiar with Sun Tzu (he quotes 'know thine enemy' and correctly attributes it in Neverending Battle), you'd think that he would put more energy into figuring out Superman's secrets- and thus possibly discovering an Achilles heel- before trying to kill him.

When I first saw Fly Hard, I thought for sure that Luthor would recognise Jack and try to figure out the connection; it's not really a difficult trail. But that's what fanfic is for lol.

Thanks Laura smile

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I love the idea for this.... <3 I'm hooked. smile

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow! clap

I also have wondered why Luthor never followed up on that conversation he had with Nigel at the end of The Foundling. That's when he decided that Superman is not his only identity. And Luthor knew that Clark could reach Superman in one episode (Pheromone?); another clue he missed in the show as to how close the two of them were. If Nigel saw Jack at the Daily Planet, perhaps he would have recognized him. I always wondered if that's one reason Mrs. Cox suddenly appeared in the last 2 episodes instead of Nigel who worked more closely with Jack than Luthor.

If John Shea had continued as a regular how would the last three episodes of Season 1 have changed? Maybe they would have been like this story...

I'm also impressed with the logic you have Luthor following leading from Jack to Clark to Superman. Looking forward to seeing how you develop this story. Off to a great start! thumbsup

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Originally Posted by cuidadora
I also have wondered why Luthor never followed up on that conversation he had with Nigel at the end of The Foundling
I had a random thought; what if the show's creators intended on continuing this storyline, but it was derailed by the departure of John Shea?

I know I probably should've stuck with Mrs Cox as Luthor's personal assistant, simply to keep it in line with the episodes, but her addition seemed odd to me. Nigel works better for my purposes smile

Originally Posted by cuidadora
If John Shea had continued as a regular how would the last three episodes of Season 1 have changed? Maybe they would have been like this story...
Hehehe... I doubt it devil It gets a little... dark. (Probably should have warned for that).

Thanks, folc4evernaday and cuidadora... glad you enjoyed the first chapter smile

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Wow an interesting premise you have started here. I too found it odd that Lex didn't recognise Jack, but that could have been attributed to the fact that Lex was more focused on the object and dismissing Jack as another petty criminal ready to do his bidding in which he could have bought for a dime a dozen. He also has a way of dismissing people he thinks are beneath him like in The Pilot where he put the sword at Clark's throat clearly thinking that Clark would be intimidated. I like the fact that he is perhaps seeing that Clark is in actuality a formidable rival regardless of whether or not he suspects that Clark is Superman

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is my kind of story! Imagine using Jack as a connection to Clark Kent and then Superman? Tracking backward to match Clark's travels with strange happenings and unexplained rescues? Lex Luthor at his evil genius best!

Keep going!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Originally Posted by Crazy_Babe
He also has a way of dismissing people he thinks are beneath him
That's a good point, Crazy_Babe. It's definitely possible that Luthor saw Jack as unimportant and thus not worthy of notice. As you pointed out, he definitely dismisses Clark. Big mistake, that!

Originally Posted by Morgana
Lex Luthor at his evil genius best!
He does have a way of coming up with genius, although twisted, schemes... the power plant leak comes to mind. While ultimately it didn't work, if it had he would have managed to get rid of his greatest threat while making a profit at the same time.
Sometimes I think villains are more fun to write- at least in A-plots.

Thanks smile

Kerth
Kerth
Uh oh! Lex using his brain and his resources...Clark is in trouble! Yes, a good antagonist makes for a good story. It's why Season 1 was more successful than Season 4. By the end of the series, the villains of the week became outrageous and cartoony. But Season 1's Lex was a legitimate foe - equal in intelligence, cunning, and charismatic. Credit John Shea for his portrayal of the iconic character. I'm eager to see where you take this. thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, dear. This wasn't at all what... or WHO I thought would be the one doing the unmasking? This isn't good news for Clark, the Kents, or even Lois for that matter. What would Luthor do with this information? eek What will Lois? Will Clark just disappear? Will Luthor kidnap his folks and use them to get Clark to do his bidding? What about Lois? How will she play in this tale? I'm biting my fingernails in anticipation to find out. Uh. Darker? Double eek! Let's hope not TOO dark, and you put the cookie jar back together by the end of the story. /Is that how that saying goes?/

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yikes! I haven't read an angsty story in a while and my insides are already twisting with part one! You really drew me in with Lex's conniving and deductions.

Laura said:
I was really impressed by the process Lex used
As I was reading this part, I was thinking that these are usually the steps that Lois takes to come to the 'Clark is Superman' realization. Scary that it's his arch enemy putting things together.

N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Thanks, BJ!

Yeah, it's Clark's worst nightmare waiting to crash over him.

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
This is a great start! I look forward to coming back soon and reading the next chapter.

lisa in the sky with diamonds

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard