When Churches Come Crashing Down
Folc4evernaday
Part 37

A bright light shone in her eyes as she tried to open them. Everything was blurry. Her eyes stung. “Wha..” She blinked her eyes, trying to focus her vision. Jimmy was watching her hesitantly. Her mouth was dry when she tried to speak, “Ji…m,”

“You want some water?” Jimmy asked concerned.

She nodded, wincing at the pain in her head when she moved her neck. What had happened? She took the cup of water he handed her.

“The doctor said you’d be in a lot of pain for a while; both physically and….”

“What happened?” She squeaked out. Something was wrong. A nagging sensation tugged at the back of her mind. Jimmy looked away, not wanting to meet her eyes. “Jimmy?”

He looked back at her and she was surprised to see tears in his eyes, “You were shot, Luce,”

“Shot?” She asked confused.

“You don’t remember?” He asked.

“I remember visiting Lois and,” she shook her head, “I’m sorry. The rest is a blank,”

His face was covered in sorrow. There was more. Something had happened. Something bad. She instinctually reached down to touch her growing abdomen only to find softened skin. She frowned, looking down at the lack of growth beneath her hand. “My baby…Jimmy, where’s my baby?”

Jimmy’s face visibly winced; “Luce, I’m so sorry,” He cried.

“No,” She argued, “I can’t. That’s not fair. That’ not…No no no no no!” She shook her head repeatedly. He reached out to hold her and she pushed him away, “No! Don’t touch me!”

“Lucy,” He pleaded with her.

“Don’t touch me,” She repeated curling up into a ball as she cried.

“I don’t know what to do here. What do you want me to do? I…”

“Just leave please,” She pleaded. “Just go,” She pointed at the door. He nodded, resigning himself to do whatever was going to make things easier on her. He got halfway to the door before he stopped himself.

“No!” He shook his head, turning to face her.

“What?” She asked, surprised.

“I said, ‘no’” He repeated. “I’m not leaving. You are not going to shut me out. I lost a child too, Luce,”

A knock on the door made Lucy bite her tongue. He took a seat next to her as the nurse entered the room to take her vitals, “I’m glad to see you’re awake, Ms. Lane. I know its hard, but you have a good support system. Your boyfriend, your sister…and a few friends….everyone’s been here all night waiting for you to wake up. You’ll get through this.” The nurse reassured her.

Lucy looked up at Jimmy who was avoiding her gaze. She reached out to squeeze his hand, “I’m sorry,” She mouthed to him.

“Your vitals seem to be doing well. Are you up to any more visitors? You have a whole waiting room full of people to see you,”

Lucy nodded softly. “Yeah,”

Lois took a seat next to Lucy’s bed, smoothing the imaginary wrinkles in her blanket, “You’re becoming quite the celebrity, Luce,” She teased, “Every station is talking about you,”

“Yay, me,” Lucy said dryly. “This is not exactly how I wanted to climb the ladder to stardom,”

“The doctor said they got all the bullet out and repaired the damage, but you’ve got a long road to recovery,” Lois said, changing the subject.

“You’re avoiding me,” Lucy observed.

“No, I’m not,” Lois sniffed, “I’m right here.” She gently squeezed her sister’s hand.

“Lois, I’m not gonna break. You don’t have to treat me with kid gloves.” Lucy observed.

“I’m not…” Lois argued half-heartedly.

“It’s okay,” Lucy shrugged. “I’ll get through this. It took me getting shot to finally quit fighting over the stupid stuff,” She winced as she tried to sit up.

“Are you okay?” Lois asked in concern.

“Just a pang,” Lucy shook her head, “I’m fine. I have to be,”

“I’m sorry,” Lois said, taking her hand again and covering it with her own.

“I know,” Lucy smiled up at Lois. “Me too, but I’m not going to dwell on the past. It’s of no use. I know I would have been a great mom, but that just wasn’t in the cards I guess.” Lucy’s voice was shaky as she spoke. “You know I keep on hoping this is just some big nightmare. Maybe someone kidnapped him and made me think he was dead? Or maybe I’m dreaming and I’m still at the hotel ...”

“Why were you going to dinner with him in the first place? I thought you and Jimmy..”

“I don’t know,” Lucy shrugged. “He said he had information about daddy’s case but that turned out to be a big ruse…”

“Luce,” Lois brushed a few stray tears off her cheeks.

“But I’m stupid because I saw my son’s corpse. I know he’s dead, but that hope I hold onto in the back of my mind,”

“I know,” Lois held her hand tightly offering a half smile, “Believe me, I know,”

“You’re the only one that would,” Lucy sighed, “I’m sure Clark’s probably getting antsy waiting out there for you. Why don’t you go home?”

“No, he, uh,” She stopped a moment to think. Clark had been called away by a distress call from the search and rescue team by Hobb’s bay. She hadn’t gotten many details from him before he’d left but she knew he would be awhile.

“What is it?” Lucy asked.

“Nothing. I just… Clark went to check with Henderson on how the investigation’s going on your shooting.” Lois lied.

Lucy glared at her, “In the middle of the night? Bill Henderson is not going to have anything this early in the game. It’s been; what?”

“Eight hours,” Lois answered.

“Eight hours and you need to go home,” Lucy pushed. “You have a child to take care of.”

“Mom is with Jordan right now,”

“All the more reason to go home; there’s no telling what embarrassing stories she’s telling him.” Lucy teased.

“This doesn’t make any sense,” Lois said softly.

“I got shot; it happens. I could have easily been shot coming out of the courthouse after a case or the police station when I went to go see Daddy earlier. It just happens. There’s nothing you can really do about it.”

“You went to go see Daddy?” Lois asked.

“Yeah, I was trying to get some answers about the clone,” Lucy breathed heavily. “That really hurts,” She winced.

“Sorry,” Lois apologized. “I know this can’t be easy.”

“No, not that; it’s just the pang in my side when I breathe too heavy,” Lucy explained.

“Do you want me to get a nurse?”

“No,” Lucy shook her head, “I’m fine,” She argued. “Now, where were we?” She asked readjusting herself with the pillows.

“You were talking about your visit with Daddy?” Lois prompted.

“Oh, right,” Lucy nodded, “No, I went to see if I could get any information out of him regarding the clone, but he was too busy trying to protect whomever he had been working for.”

“That’s daddy for you,” Lois sighed, “Brilliant scientist; workaholic till the end,”

“Yeah,” Lucy nodded, “He seemed scared,”

Lois’ interest perked up, “What do you mean?”

A knock on the door interrupted her. Lois and Lucy turned to see Mayson Drake standing in the doorway, “I heard they were letting you have visitors,”

“Hey, Mayson,” Lucy smiled up at her friend.

“I just heard. I came as soon as I could.” Mayson came over to hug Lucy. “Are you all right?”

“I’m good,” Lucy reassured. “It’s good to see you,”

“I’ll be back in the morning,” Lois said quietly, interrupting the reunion.

“Get some sleep then I want to see my nephew…” Lucy beamed with a forced smile.

“Luce, are you sure you’re up to…?” Lois began.

“I have already missed enough time with him. I don’t want to miss his birthday. Even if I am in the hospital.” Lucy said grimly.

Lois nodded, leaning over to give her sister a peck on the cheek. “Take care of yourself and call me if you need anything.”

“Good night, Lois,” Lucy called out before Lois closed the door behind her.

Clark had been called away by the search and rescue. He hadn’t wanted to leave Lois, but he knew he’d regret it if he hadn’t have gone. The search and rescue boat had tipped, leaving them stranded in the middle of Hobb’s Bay with no way of anyone reaching them. Why they had decided to venture out so far without a backup team was beyond him.

Detective Wolf had hounded him the minute he’d landed with the team in tow. He was determined that he would be able to find the missing body parts in the bay. It had taken everything in him not to get sick at the sight in front of him. Every joint had been severed on this body. There was still no head and no identifying limbs to make a clear identification. He searched the bay repeatedly for hours with no luck.

“Good morning, Mrs. Church,” The nurse said softly when she saw Mindy waking up.

“Wha?” She looked around, slightly disoriented.

“Calm down. You’re in the hospital.”

“The hospital??” Mindy gasped.

“Just calm down,” She laid a reassuring hand on her shoulder. “You were admitted for poisoning,”

“Poisoning?” She sat up, readjusting herself in the hospital bed.

“Please, Mrs. Church, just calm down,”

“What? What happened to me??”

“Lois?” Ellen shook her daughter insistently until she woke up.

“What? What?” Lois sat up, looking around, trying to assess what was going on around her.

“It’s five in the morning,” Ellen said as if that explained everything.

“So?” Lois asked sleepily.

“So, aren’t you just the slightest bit concerned that your husband is still not home?” Ellen asked.

“No, he was working with Jimmy. Reporters have long unpredictable hours, mother.”

“So, do doctors,” Ellen reminded her with a knowing look.

“Don’t even start,” Lois said sleepily. “We’re not like that,”

“That’s what I told myself too. Don’t you want to at least check and see where he is?” Ellen asked. “No calls; no nothing. It’s not normal,”

Lois rolled her eyes, pulling the covers up, “I’ll go in early and check,” She sighed. “Can you take Jordan to daycare for me?”

“Of course,” Ellen nodded reassuringly. Lois sighed watching her mother leave the bedroom. It was going to be a long day. It was hard trying to explain Clark’s absence in times like this. She knew he was needed and she was concerned but showing that concern wasn’t allowed when she had to help keep a secret like this.

Now, she was going into the Planet earlier than she would imagine going in even at her worst days of being a workaholic. She used to live and breathe there, but the Planet was not where she intended to go. The conversation between herself and Lucy last night had been playing through her mind repeatedly all night while she fought sleep. Lucy had had her confrontation with Sam Lane; now it was her turn.

Mayson stared at the bruised face in front of her. Lucy had been shot tonight. The baby she’d been afraid of raising on her own was gone and she was left with an emptiness that no one could fill. Lucy had fallen back asleep shortly after she’d arrived. She couldn’t bring herself to leave her when she was so vulnerable. Inspector Henderson had called her to begin the investigation into Lucy’s shooting. Knox had of course been too busy smiling for the cameras to do any of the real legwork; so she’d been left to do the dirty work.

“Morning, sunshine,” Mayson said sarcastically when she saw Lucy beginning to stir.

“You’re still here?” Lucy asked groggily, “What time is it?”

“Someone’s strange idea of morning,” Mayson said teasingly, “It's five thirty,”

Lucy groaned, “Too early,”

“Jimmy said he was going to be back later. He was going to head in to check on the investigation into your shooting; check statements and all that.”

“He’s working on the story for this?” Lucy asked confused.

“No, he’s just pushing it,” Mayson explained. “I guess burying himself in work helps, considering,”

“Yeah,” Lucy nodded, “I know the type,”

Mayson nodded with a smile. She looked around at the empty room, “So, how are you?”

“I’m alive,” Lucy said softly, “That’s enough for now,”

The door to the visitor’s room opened and Sam Lane stepped into the empty room. The guard stared coldly at him, pointing to the chair in the middle of the room.

Sam nodded, taking a seat. The guard closed the door behind him, leaving Sam to stare at the empty walls around him. Just as he was just getting comfortable the door on the other side of the room flung open.

“Morning,” Lois said sharply, walking towards him, “I understand you and Lucy had a visit yesterday. What about?”

“Nice to see you too, Lois,” Sam said sarcastically.

“Oh, forget the pretend manners, would you? Lucy came to talk to you about the Superman clone. You didn’t tell her anything; but did you warn your boss? Tell him or her that Lucy was onto them?”

“I’m not talking to you without a lawyer,” Sam snapped between even breaths.

“What did you do??” Lois snapped, banging her fists on the table as she leaned down to confront him.

“Me??” Sam stood up in anger, “How is it always my fault? No matter what happens it’s always my fault, isn’t it?”

“You’re damn right!” She snapped back. “You left. You left me and Lucy and then you expect us to welcome you back with open arms? You left us. You left mom for every…every intern or nurse or …or…”

“You’re one to talk!” Sam snapped back.

“What is that supposed to mean?” She shot back.

“The affair! You think I’m stupid or something?” Sam asked.

“What the hell are you talking about? I have never…”

“You’ve never what? You forget S.T.A.R. Labs had Superman in observation. I heard him. I heard him say your name.”

“That means nothing and you know it.” Lois snapped. “You can’t stand the idea that Lucy and I are nothing like you. That’s probably why you left; isn’t it? You had no one to carry on the legacy. Did you know that they were going to shoot her or was that just luck?”

“What are you talking about?” Sam asked in confusion.

“Lucy was shot last night; hours after meeting with you!” Lois accused, “What did you do?”

“I had nothing to do with that,” Sam argued.

“Did you call someone and tell them about her accusations or not?” Lois asked between even breaths. Sam didn’t answer. “I thought so. We’re done here. You disgust me,”

“That’s always your answer isn’t it?” He asked, “Running away?”

“Go to hell,” Lois snapped back as she knocked on the heavy metal door. “I mean it. I want nothing to do with you.”

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube