When Churches Come Crashing Down
Folc4evernaday
Part 34

Dianna jabbed the elevator button repeatedly. She could feel her blood boiling with every second that passed until the elevator doors opened on the floor of James Turner’s penthouse. She ripped open the doors as she barged in. “You!” She snapped her fingers, “We have unfinished business!”

He looked up in shock, surprised by the outburst as he pushed himself away from the blonde that was keeping him entertained at the moment. “What in the …?”

“We had a deal,” Dianna snapped glaring at him with arms crossed over her chest. She arched an eyebrow at the unwanted company sitting on the ivory desk Turner was seated at. “Do you mind? This is a bit personal?”

Turner glared at Dianna before nodding his agreement for the young blonde to leave. In a huff, she gathered her things and left, slamming the door behind her. “Well, you have my undivided attention, Dianna,”

“I told you not to call me that,” She warned, pacing in front of him, “You and I had a deal.”

“And I plan to deliver,” Turner reassured, “Don’t be so paranoid. I know you want your reputation back, but I had to do things a bit unorthodox as far as Mindy’s concerned.”

She pulled out a copy of the Daily Planet and threw it down on his desk, “Unorthodox? Look what we have here, ‘Church Widow Poisoned.’ Who do you think they’ll be looking at first? She doesn’t have a husband anymore. No family. What’s left is her business partner, Mr. TURNER. How exactly do you plan to get your hands on Intergang when you’re behind bars and I’m on the run again?”

“I was careful,”

“Apparently not careful enough because she’s still ALIVE!!” Dianna hissed throwing the paper at him.

“It was a close call,” Dr. Stevens said, shaking his head.

“Is she coherent enough to give a statement?” Henderson asked.

“She’s still unconscious,” Dr. Stevens shook his head, “I’m not even sure how lucid she’ll be when she comes to.”

“You’d be surprised,” Inspector Henderson sighed, “Please keep us posted,” He handed Dr. Stevens his card.

“You got it,”

Lois yawned, stretching her arms over her head. She could still feel the room spinning after last night. A broad smile spread across her lips as she reached out for the warmth of her Clark’s body next to her. She frowned as her hands reached the lukewarm sheets next to her. She sat up, looking around the bedroom.

“Hey, I didn’t mean to wake you,” Lois glanced across the room to where Clark stood, fully dressed for work.

“Where are you going?” She asked sleepily, glancing at the clock as she sat up wrapping the cotton sheet more securely around her body.

Clark walked towards her, “I thought you could get some rest, maybe work from home.” He suggested as he walked towards her.

Her first instinct was to argue with him, but she caught herself. She could see the concern reflecting in his eyes. “Please don’t tell me you’re fine. Dizzy spells don’t constitute as ‘fine,’” He added with a twinkle in his eyes.

“Okay,” She nodded, “You’re right.” He seemed a bit surprised that she’d caved so easily, “I’ll work from home; see what I can find out about this Intergang to connection to Daddy,”

“Good,” He nodded, “I’ll keep you updated on what’s going on; just promise me no half-baked plans, or breaking and entering,”

Lois rolled her eyes, “That was one time,”

“Yeah, right,” He muttered, “Just try and take it easy. I’m gonna take another look at what we’ve got on ACL Industries and their connection to Intergang. Maybe we can find a common denominator between them and your father; find the middle man.”

A light bulb went off as she recalled ACL Industries. So much had happened yesterday she’d forgotten about discovering Lex Luthor’s ex. “Oh, yeah, I’d almost forgotten about them,”

“How could you forget Arianna Carlin; Luthor’s ex? I don’t think Lucy seemed too happy to find out about her,” He commented dryly as he took a seat next to her on the edge of the bed.

Lois nodded, resting her head against his shoulder, “It’s just another reminder of how much she was lied to. I need to give her a call,” She said, rubbing her palms against the invisible creases in his jacket. “So, are you coming home for lunch?” She asked, linking her arms around his neck.

“Depends,” She held in her laughter as she let the sheet fall around her, watching as his gaze drifted down her body to the now fully exposed skin. He sighed, cupping her cheek, “I really hate leaving you,” His eyes wandered down her body, lingering on the curves that had become more noticeable over the last few weeks; “especially like this.” He gave her a peck on the cheek. “Try and get some rest,”

“I will,” She reassured him, leaning up to kiss him. He smiled against her lips then moved down to place a kiss against the swollen skin of her abdomen. She laughed when she felt the baby kick against the side of his face.

“Love you,” He whispered before he leaned back up to capture her lips once more. She smiled against his lips, wrapping her arms around his neck once more.

“I…” She felt his body stiffen in her arms and him pull away. She looked up at him in concern.

“What is it?” Lois asked concerned.

“Fire,” He said, shaking his head, “Metropolis General Hospital,”

“Go,” She nodded at him.

“But...”

“Clark, Superman’s taken a long enough vacation as it is,” Lois argued. He still was uncertain. He hadn’t gone to the rescue as Superman for a while. She knew he had doubts creeping into the back of his mind, but she also knew he had a voice inside him telling him he had to help. She just needed to make him listen to it.

“Everything you asked for, Mr. Dunning,” Mrs. Cox placed the large file on his desk.

“Thank you. I assume everything I need is in order.”

“I don’t know,” Mrs. Cox mused, “Was my payment in order, Mr. Dunning?” She glared at him, “You get exactly what you pay for and nothing more, Mr. Dunning,”

“Thank you for your time, Mrs. Cox,”

Mrs. Cox counted the bills in the envelope he handed her. “Nice doing business with you. Be careful what you do with that information. It could cost you your life.”

Barry laughed, “No, this is going to cost someone else their life,” He said, flipping through the file with interest. “This is exactly what I need,”

Clark listened as Henderson went over the scene with him once more, pointing out the source of the fire and the floors that had been affected. It seemed the urgent care wing had been the target. It was obvious arson. He just couldn’t understand why someone would want to burn down a hospital.

“Poisoned?” Lois asked in surprise.

“She was admitted this morning,” Lucy said, fingering the knick knacks on the mantel as she looked everywhere but at her sister.

“Any idea who would want her dead?” Lois asked.

“She’s the widow of Bill Church, head of Intergang. It could be anyone.” Lucy explained. “I really don’t know right now. She’s lucky to be alive though,”

“Sounds like it,” Lois said, watching Lucy pace around the room. “You okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Lucy brushed her off. Lois arched an eyebrow at her, “I mean considering I basically got called a ... No, never mind; I’m fine. Perfectly fine.”

“Fine,” Lois said, shaking her head. “Just let me know if you need to talk about how fine you are.” She turned back to the file in her hand. She wasn’t sure what had prompted Lucy to invite herself over, but something was obviously bothering her.

Lucy took a seat in the loveseat across from her, “So, where’s Jordan?” She asked.

“Daycare. I’m transitioning him with half days.” Lois said, meeting her sister’s nervous eyes. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Lucy said, shaking her head. “Absolutely nothing,”

“Doesn’t seem like nothing to me,” Lois closed the file in front of her, crossing her arms over her chest. “What’s wrong?” She repeated.

Lucy looked away. She could see the corners of her eyes glistening with moisture as she walked away. Lois sighed as she followed her sister into the kitchen. She couldn’t help but feel a sense of déjà vu fall over her. Every time Lucy had a fight with a love interest it seemed she was dragging it out of her. Lucy wanted the world, but when it came crashing down around her she was the last to admit it.

She stopped in front of the refrigerator, staring at the random pictures and notes across it. Lucy reached for the sonogram that was pinned to the middle of it. “Is this the most recent one?”

“Yeah,” Lois couldn’t help but smile.

“I never got to give you a baby shower before with Jordan. I was hoping you’d let me with this one,” Lucy said, staring at the sonogram. Lois could hear the crack in her voice as she struggled to fight back the tears.

“Luce,” She placed a hand on her shoulder only to have it brushed off.

“Don’t,” Lucy snapped back, turning to face her. “You have no idea. I am so tired of the constant ups and downs with everything. I just want a normal life. Is that too much to ask for?”

“No, but having your father stand trial for kidnapping while in cohorts with a known criminal organization isn’t normal, Luce,”

“Neither is having a baby from a one night stand you can hardly remember, but look at me…. I don’t even remember… It’s not fair.” Lucy sighed, rubbing her temples.

“What happened?”

“Apparently, Jimmy’s been around when I was dating Dan. He watched me let Dan in the night I broke up with him and assumed the worst. Now, I’m back to square one. Oh, and he was pretty descriptive while coming up with his idea of what had to have been going on in my apartment. I don’t understand what’s going on or why he…”

Lois wasn’t really sure how to respond. She hated how everything between Jimmy and Lucy had gotten out of control. She listened quietly, letting her sister recite what all had happened that evening. “…I mean, he should know me better than that. I would never…God, I didn’t even with Lex…Well, I slapped him and told him not to come anywhere near me again,” Lucy sighed. “I don’t know what to do,”

She placed an arm around her sister’s shoulder, unable to come up with an answer at the moment. She had watched from the sidelines as Lucy and Jimmy continued to battle with one another about their relationship. Ever since Miranda had exposed Metropolis to that poisonous pheromone their lives had been turned upside down. It was strange. What had brought her and Clark together seemed to have ripped two good friends apart. She hoped soon they would be able to work things out. If not for each other, for the sake of the child Lucy was carrying.

Dr. Klein stared at the young man in front of him skeptically, uncertain of how to respond. He was claiming to be Superman, but there was something about him that wasn’t quite right. He wasn’t sure what it was exactly.

“So, uh, Superman?” He prodded, “What exactly can I do for you?”

“I want to find out how to destroy my double.” He said as a cold expression crossed his face. That was what was off.

“Oh?” Dr. Klein did his best not to alert the young man of his suspicions of him.

“Power is key. I will be the last one standing in that battle. I have to find out what I can do to destroy him.”

Dr. Klein thought a moment. This was the best opportunity he had to study the clone without any resistance. Maybe he could use his research to help protect Clark against this double? “Of course, Superman, but in order to do so, I’ll have to run a few tests on you. Do you have time?”

“Let’s do it,” Superman said, crossing his arms over his chest.

“You called me, Barry,” Dianna asked entering the conference room folders in-hand for the next broadcast.

“Yes, Dianna, have a seat,” Barry motioned to the chair in front of him.

“Excuse me?” She asked.

“I didn’t stutter,” He said coolly. “You might want to close the door.”

She glared at him as she closed the door slowly waiting for a resounding click to sound. “Barry, are you feeling all right?”

“Perfectly fine,” He said, crossing his hands behind his head as he leaned back in the plush leather chair he was seated in. “So, tell me, how long were you going to play me for a fool until you exposed yourself?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Really? Cost Mart has been paying your bills for years; as long as Bill Church was alive. Now you get paid how? Or did Intergang drop you when you went on the run?” He let his arms fall to his sides, folding them on the table in front of him. “I’m done playing your games. I refuse to be an accessory to whatever it is you’re doing. I want you out of my office and as far away as possible by the end of the day. Are we clear?”

“Perfectly,” Dianna watched as his body fell to the floor. “I hate being pushed into a corner,” She whispered as she stood over him.

“You…”

“I win, you lose.”

“Hey, Jimmy,” Clark walked up behind his young friend, looking at him cautiously. “You all right?” he asked when he noticed the unkempt appearance Jimmy had and the dark circles under his eyes.

Jimmy turned towards him, rubbing his eyes with his sleeve. “I’m fine, CK, just had a long night,”

“Yeah,” Clark nodded.

“Uh, the Chief was looking for you earlier,” Jimmy said, motioning to Perry’s office where he was pacing around the office as he yelled into the phone at whatever poor soul had had the bad luck to be on the receiving end of one of his rants.

Clark placed a supportive hand on his shoulder before heading towards Perry’s office, oblivious to the small smile that had crossed Jimmy’s face when he left. He knocked on the door and Perry waved him in.

“You wanted to see me, Chief?” Clark asked.

“Yeah, how did it go down at Metropolis General?” Perry asked

“Everyone seems to have made it out all right. Superman and the police were working on getting everyone out of there all morning. I’ve got plenty for at least two or three follow-ups.” Clark said.

“Superman, huh? Did you find out where he’s been these past few weeks?” Perry had a twinkle in his eye. Clark wasn’t sure what the meaning behind it was.

“Uh, yeah, he said he was needed elsewhere, but he’s back and shouldn’t be leaving anytime soon.”

“I hope not. Metropolis needs him,” Perry said, taking a seat at his desk. He motioned for Clark to take a seat. “I wanted to make sure everything was all right. I know Lois was put on more restrictions. Her sister made a point to call me last night and tell me.”

Clark smiled, “She’s fine, Chief. She just needs to take it easy.”

“Yeah, good luck with that,” Perry muttered. Clark chuckled. “How’s the baby doing?”

“She’s good,” Clark nodded. “Lois is doing everything she can to make sure the baby’s all right.”

“She?” Perry asked with a smirk.

Clark laughed, realizing his slip. Lois had wanted to wait to tell everyone about the baby’s sex but it seemed like he’d ruined the surprise for at least one person, “I, uh, wasn’t supposed to tell you that, Chief, sorry,”

Perry smiled, “Tell me what?”

James Turner looked over the reports he’d gotten back from his team on Miranda’s pheromone. It would be interesting to see how Metropolis reacted to this version of ‘Revenge’ when he had it used against those trying to stop Intergang. If all went well he was looking at having complete control over the city. He craved that feeling more than anything. James Turner was known and respected but he was nothing compared to what Lex Luthor had been. People still shuddered at the name. Soon he would have that respect once more.

“Day dreaming?” Nigel’s voice interrupted him.

Turner looked up and smiled, slightly surprised, “Well, well, I was wondering how long you would stay in hiding,”

“I had matters to straighten out. You forget I’m not at your beck and call anymore.”

“Ah, yes, and what a shame. You really did play the perfect butler,”

Nigel’s eyes darkened, “I was more than a butler,”

“Yes, you were,” Lex admitted, putting the files in the top drawer of his desk and walking towards Nigel, “For a time, I thought we were friends. You were my confidant, the one person I thought I could trust. You betrayed that, though.”

“You were dead, Lex, what did you want me to do? Watch the entire empire I helped build crumble?” Nigel asked.

“You betrayed me much before my demise and you know that, Nigel. You worked hard to discredit Lucy during our courtship and ultimately on the day of our wedding. Where were you? Were you already trying to rob the company from under me or did you wait until I jumped to my death?”

“That wasn’t in the plan, Lex,” Nigel warned, “Being tied down was never in the plan. I wasn’t going to watch you throw away everything we’d worked so hard to achieve. Besides, what difference does it matter anyway? She was leaving you. Did you forget that memory when you came back? You had to blackmail her into walking down the aisle to you.”

“She loved me once; she’ll do it again, and you will have to learn to deal with it. In order to have a partnership, we have to have trust. Can I trust you not to interfere in my personal matters?”

Turner could tell Nigel was seething with anger, but he didn’t care. Nigel narrowed his eyes, “I don’t want anything to do with your petty love affair, but don’t let it cloud your judgment.”

“My judgment is crystal clear,” Turner reassured.

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube