When Churches Come Crashing Down
Folc4evernaday
Part 31

“Lex Corp has found new life. The only missing piece seems to be the Daily Planet.” Arianna commented as she looked at the map of Metropolis’ companies.

“Is the Daily Planet a necessary asset? Lex didn’t obtain it until the very end.” Mindy reasoned.

“Everything is necessary!” Arianna hissed angrily. “Everything.” She whispered quietly. She shook herself from her reverie, “Everything is necessary in the world of Lex Luthor which is why we will make sure we are one step ahead of him. Do I make myself clear?”

Mindy nodded, slightly intimidated by the underlying rage that burrowed beneath Arianna’s calm exterior, “Completely,” She then changed the subject, “So what’s the plan for getting the Daily Planet?”

Lois pressed the call button to the elevator, impatiently tapping her foot against the tile floor. “This elevator takes so long sometimes,”

“I thought that was a good thing sometimes,” Clark teased.

Lois shot him a mock glare, “You have a dirty mind,”

The elevator dinged, announcing the arrival of the elevator car. Clark leaned over to whisper, “You’re the one that brought it up,” He teased. The door opened and Lois and Clark entered the elevator car in silence as they waited for the elevator doors to close before resuming their conversation.

“I was making an observation,” She shot back.

“So was I,” Clark said, pushing her back against the corner of the elevator.

“You wouldn’t,” Lois teased, her eyes gleaming with mischief. “We have work to do and,” She was cut off by Clark’s lips capturing hers.

“So?” He murmured against her lips, wrapping his arms around her waist, lightly massaging her rounded abdomen, “A girl,”

She smiled up at him, “I know,” She wrapped her arms around his neck as he recaptured her lips once more, tightening his arms around her. She gasped when he lifted her up slightly, pressing her against the elevator wall. “Clark!”

She could feel her stomach tightening as her blood rushed downward. His hardness pressed up against her. They were treading dangerously close to the point of no return. She wanted nothing more than to have an encore performance of the previous night’s activities, but they were in the elevator on the way up to the newsroom; on their way to work. They didn’t have time, and neither of them had thought to pull the emergency stop.

“Oh, God,” She moaned in pleasure as she felt his body press further against her.

The elevator dinged, announcing the arrival to the newsroom, “Oh, elevator!” Lois pulled away from him, straightening out her blouse, “Rain check. Definitely! Next time if you want to start something; pull the emergency stop,” She reminded him as the elevator doors opened.

She ignored the catcalls being thrown their way as they stepped into the bullpen and headed towards their desks. You’d think after being married for almost a year their co-workers would be used to their public displays of affection, but there were still a few that felt the need to tease them.

“Lois, CK, how was your day off?” Jimmy asked, walking up to them with an armful of files in hand.

Lois smiled at her young friend, “Oh, you know,” She shrugged. “Were you able to get anywhere with the research on ACL Industries?” She felt like her face was flushed. Was her face flushed? Was she blushing? Could everyone tell what they had been doing not even two minutes ago? She nervously rubbed at her neck. Jimmy could probably read her thoughts right now.

“Uh, here,” Jimmy handed her the bottom files from the stack in his hand. “That’s everything I’ve got. I need to get these over to copy and…”

“No, you’re fine,” Lois waved him off, “Go. I’ve got this,” Anything to get away from him and hide over by her desk. Jimmy had a knack for having the worst timing and pointing out the obvious at the most inopportune time. She watched as Jimmy headed up the stairs to the elevator, his arms still full of files. She shook her head and then turned back to her desk.

“What have we got here?” Clark asked, whispering in her ear. She shivered slightly as she felt his breath against the nape of her neck. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” She nodded. Was she okay? Her skin was still sensitive; tingling from their encounter in the elevator and having him this close to her made her knees weak. “Jimmy gave me everything he’s got so far on ACL Industries.” Lois handed him the files.

Clark took the files from her, flipping through them at super speed as Lois shielded him from the prying eyes of their co-workers. He stopped halfway, pulling out one of the file folders to take a better look at it.

“Find something?” She asked. “A connection to Intergang?”

“Yeah, but not what we’re thinking,” Clark shook his head, taking a seat at his desk. Lois followed him, perching herself on the edge of his desk.

He handed her the file. Lois opened it and began reading. “Oh, my God,”

“Yeah,” Clark shook his head, “I’d say he has some explaining to do,”

“Which one?” Lois asked. “Jimmy or my father?”

“Mr. Turner, what is it exactly you are interested in here?” Mr. Knox asked as they walked through the hallways of the Prosecution office.

“I want to help. I want to help bring Metropolis back to what it once was. All the crime and mayhem that has taken over the city. We’re allowing Superman to do for us what our justice system should be doing in the first place. I want to change that.” James Turner explained.

“Metropolis has never been a crime-free city,” Mr. Knox argued. “I’ve been the District Attorney of this city for the last four years and since Superman came to town crime has gone down…”

“Maybe you just need a change of pace?” Mr. Turner suggested. “Is Mayson Drake around? I was hoping to speak with her about something.”

“Mayson? She’s taken a leave of absence after her disappearance last week.”

“Yes, I heard about her unfortunate predicament,” Turner said.

Ryan Knox opened the door in front of them, “Lucy, I’d like to introduce you to James Turner.”

“A pleasure,” Turner took Lucy’s hand, kissing her palm.

She jerked her hand back forcefully, “Uh, nice to meet you,”

“Mr. Turner, Lucy Lane has been working closely with Mayson Drake over the past year on all her cases. I’m sure any questions you have for Mayson can be answered with Ms. Lane.”

“What can I help you with, Mr. Turner?” Lucy asked.

“I’d like to discuss a campaign,”

“Pardon?” Lucy asked.

“A campaign for District Attorney,” Turner explained.

“Excuse me?” Ryan Knox glared at Turner, but he paid him no mind.

“I have the resources,” Turner smiled, “I’d like to have a chance to get to know both you and Ms. Drake. I believe both of you would be the best candidates,”

“Mr. Turner,” Mr. Knox argued.

“I …I don’t know what to say,” Lucy stammered.

“Don’t say anything.” Turner cut her off, handing her a business card. “I’ll be expecting you this evening at the Metro Hotel’s Dining Hall at seven,”

Lucy stared on in amazement as Turner turned to leave, Ryan Knox in tow. What had just happened?

Her father had been working on a super powered clone? She couldn’t believe it. She knew her father had had some crackpot ideas over the years but she’d never thought he’d go to such an extreme.

Perry’s voice droned in and out during the staff meeting as she contemplated how she would confront him; if she could even find him. He’d been broken out of prison and no one had heard from him. The clone he’d been working on had kidnapped him and there was no telling where he could be.

“I want everyone on this. Keep the city updated on every step the police are taking to ensure Metropolis’ safety,” Perry continued.

Another staff meeting full of useless information. The same speech he’d given them earlier in the bullpen. She sometimes wondered if Perry realized how much he repeated himself from meeting to meeting.

She felt a nudge on her knee. She glanced down to see a notepad on her lap. “What’s wrong?”

Lois smiled up at Clark who was still looking at her in concern. She grabbed a pencil and quickly wrote, “My dad’s a liar,”

She then placed the notepad on his lap. A few seconds later he passed it back, “Still have to double check.”

She rolled her eyes at that. “If it looks like a duck…” She wrote.

She looked up at him and watched as he lifted up the notepad and placed it face down on the table in front of him. End of conversation, she supposed. They had so much work to do; mainly research. Intergang’s founders may be dead and gone but its presence was still very much in Metropolis and she was sure ACL Industries was connected.

His right hand covered her own, removing it from her lap beneath the table. She smiled up at him. Ever since this morning at the ob-gyn Clark had been more and more attentive. Seeing their child on the monitors and discovering the child Lois was carrying would be a girl was overwhelming.

He moved her hand to her knee, resting it there as his thumb lightly grazed her upper thigh. She suppressed a gasp when he guided her hand upward, stroking her upper thigh lightly until they were no longer in contact with the silk covered thighs. He released her hand, outlining the edge of her silk stockings.

She inched herself to the edge of her chair as she did her best to hide the effect Clark was having on her. He hadn’t even begun to scrape the surface of where she wanted him and she was already getting hot and bothered. Two could play this game.

She stretched her right arm across the table and knocked a pen in his lap. He caught her gaze as she reached into his lap and grabbed the pen, brushing her hand against his inner thigh as she did so. She smiled when she heard him take a sharp breath, gasping as her hand brushed against him. Oh, yes. This would be fun. She glanced around the room to make sure no one was paying attention then, feeling bold, she slipped her hand in his lap once more...

“All right, that’s it,” Perry said. Everyone around them began gathering their things and making their way toward the exit.

She opened her mouth to protest but found herself with cotton-mouth; unable to speak. She watched as her colleagues left the conference room one by one. All but one anyway.

“Hey, guys,” Jimmy said, taking a seat next to Clark, “You haven’t by chance found an unmarked file lying around, have you?”

“Unmark-Unmarked file?” Lois stammered. “What kind of unmarked file?”

She wasn’t sure what he was talking about. All she could focus on was the fact that there were no longer colleagues or a meeting going on; and now she could finish what Clark had started. “I don’t know,” Lois said evasively.

“But…” Jimmy began to argue.

“Listen, Jimmy, can we talk about this later?” Lois cut him off, “We have a lot of …uh, research…to do this afternoon. We’ll talk later,” She patted Jimmy’s shoulder before pushing him out of the conference room.

“Research?” Clark caught Lois’ eye, “Right research!” He made sure she was standing in front of him to keep from embarrassing himself. His arms wrapped around her from behind, resting just below her breasts. “We’re really busy right now, Jimmy. We gotta call…”

“Dr. Klein…” Lois supplied.

“And…Inspector Henderson,” He supplied another name for her.

“We’ll talk later. Don’t want to keep them waiting.” With that they watched as Jimmy closed the door behind him. Clark kept a pasted grin on his face as he watched Jimmy walk away. “You get the blinds.” He said huskily.

It was strange being out; away from the guards and other inmates. The air was much fresher outside the prison walls; the sun much brighter. Amanda walked through the remains of the condemned Metro Club. The room was filled with ashy residue. Nothing like what she’d found before when she’d found Mayson Drake there a few days ago. Whoever had been holding her captive had obviously cleaned up fast. There was no sign of the glowing cage that had been there before.

“Where were we?” Lois asked as Clark pulled her in his lap. He had resumed his place in his chair and she now hovered over him, straddling him as he hiked her skirt up, exploring her flesh with his palms.

“Here,” Clark murmured, brushing his lips against hers. She helped him brush his suit jacket off, tossing it to the ground. She began unbuttoning his dress shirt, running her palm against his chest.

“Oh, Clark…” she gasped when she felt him unclasp her bra from beneath her blouse.

“You are so sexy…” he whispered as he unbuttoned her blouse, exposing her to him. “…and gorgeous…” he pushed the white lace off her shoulders and watched it fall.

“Cl…” she gasped, throwing her head back in pleasure.

He pulled his head back a moment, “Shhh…” he warned.

She shuddered involuntarily against him. “Oh, God, Clark,” She moaned in pleasure, raking her hands through his hair. He lifted her up in his arms, pressing her hard against him. “Oh, yes,”

He tensed in her arms for a moment. He couldn’t seriously be hearing a call for help now; could he? She could feel her body crying out for release. He wasn’t seriously going to leave her like this; was he?

“Clark?”

“Nothing,” He murmured, “It’s nothing. I just thought I heard something,” He then leaned up to recapture her lips.

District Attorney? Lucy shook her head in amazement. She’d always thought about climbing the ladder and one day trying for a little more, but she’d never expected it to come to her on a silver platter like this.

She was so excited she felt like she was going to burst. She reached for the phone but stopped herself midway. The first person she always thought about calling was always Jimmy. Shouldn’t that tell her something?

She grabbed her purse then pressed the speaker button on her phone, “Cheryl, I’m gonna take an early lunch. Can you forward all my calls?”

“Yes, Ms. Lane,” She responded.

“Maybe you’re going about this the wrong way, Sarah,” Barry argued. “Superman’s obviously on to you. He knows you’re not really in trouble. That’s why he isn’t coming,”

“Superman will come to the rescue when he’s called,” Dianna assured him. “Just watch.”

“Who the hell are you?” Sarah asked in outrage.

“You called for help,” Superman responded, looking around the building. “What’s wrong?”

“You’re not Superman,” She shot back at him.

“Yes, I am,” He crossed his arms in front of his chest.

“No, you’re not,” She shook her head as she headed back inside the building. “Nice try, but I need the real thing.” With that she shut the door behind her.

Superman glared at the closed door in fury. She was mocking him. What did the other Superman have that he didn’t?

“Jimmy, hi,” Lucy said, walking up to him in the lobby.

“Hey, Luce,” Jimmy smiled weakly at him. She noticed his gaze drifted immediately toward her growing abdomen, “How are you?”

“You know,” She shrugged, “Busy,”

“Yeah,” Jimmy smiled. “Well, Lois and CK left about an hour ago. You can try them on their cells if you need to talk…”

“Actually, I came to talk to you,”

“To me?” Jimmy asked surprised.

“Yeah,” Lucy smiled weakly, “Do you got a minute to talk?”

“I think I can steal a minute or two,” Jimmy smiled at her. “What’s up?”

Dr. Tony Benzen had been murdered. She had cried for a week when she’d found out. So far, no one had found his murderer. They had been too occupied with framing her; Amanda Marshall, an innocent woman for Lana Lang’s murder.

She tugged at the scarf wrapped around her head self-consciously. She knew it was just nerves but she still felt so exposed out in the open. There had to be a way she could escape this life.

She’d had dreams of a wonderful life with Tony at one point. He’d promised her everything until ...

He didn’t understand…

She’d done it for him. She’d done everything for him…

Superman watched with his x-ray vision as Sarah and Barry disappeared down the stairwell.

<<“You’re not Superman,”>>

What had that meant? He was Superman. His father had told him so much.

The imposter that had attacked him was phony. He would prove it.

Lois tapped her fingers impatiently against the wood grain of Dr. Klein’s desk, “So, you have no idea how this could have happened?”

“I don’t specialize in cloning research, Lois. That was your father’s specialty and no one knows where he is,”

“So, you haven’t heard anything?” Clark asked. “He hasn’t shown up here?”

Dr. Klein sighed, “Not that I know of. I’d think he’d be contacting you before he would me.”

“Not necessarily,” Lois explained, “He’s always been married to his work. Family always comes last.”

“Oh,” Dr. Klein said quietly, uncertain of how to take Lois’ confession.

“It's fine,” Lois shrugged,

“So, who would know?” Clark asked, changing the subject.

“Pardon?” Dr. Klein asked.

“You said you don’t know much about cloning. Who other than Lois’ father does know enough about cloning to help us?” Clark asked.

Dr. Klein thought a moment. “There are a few known experts in the field.” He made a few clicks on his computer, browsing the S.T.A.R. Labs database, “Dr. Luis Keating, Dr. Ronan Faust, and Dr. Isaac Mamba,” He read the article he had pulled up. “Aside from your father they’re the top scientists in the field.”

“So, any idea where we can find any of these guys?” Lois asked.

“Well, Dr. Keating is in Russia, Dr. Faust in Japan, and….Dr. Mamba is based in Gotham,” Dr. Klein read.

“Gotham?” Clark asked surprised.

“Well, you know all the research Wayne Enterprise works on for the military. They’re our biggest competitor in scientific breakthroughs. Just when I think I’m onto something Bruce Wayne always beats me to the punch. He always keeps the best on staff to do so,”

“Well, we owe Dr. Mamba a visit,” Lois said.

“I’d be careful,” Dr. Klein warned. “Dr. Mamba is a brilliant scientist, but there is a fine line between brilliance in lunacy; more so in his case.”

“So, Dr. Mamba is crazy?” Clark probed.

“Some of the time,” Dr. Klein answered carefully.

“You wanted to talk?” Jimmy skirted nervously as he watched Lucy push her food around her plate with her fork.

“Yeah,” Lucy smiled nervously up at him, “I know I’m the last person you want to hear from right now,”

“No,” Jimmy shook his head, “I like hearing from you. There was a time you used to actually wanted to talk to me on a regular basis.”

“I know,” Lucy said, brushing a stray strand of hair behind her ear, “We used to be best friends, which is what I wanted to talk to you about,”

“What do you mean?”

“Jimmy, we used to be best friends. When I had a bad day or a good day you were the one I told. I miss that.”

“You do?” Jimmy asked skeptically.

“Yes!” Lucy cried, “Do you have any idea how hard these last few months have been? I haven’t had anyone to turn to. Lois and I just now started getting back to where we were, but it’s still not the same.”

“I’m sorry,” Jimmy apologized, placing his hand over hers. “I know this couldn’t have been easy for you,” His tone seemed more rehearsed than genuine.

“I know you’re still mad at me,” Lucy said, pulling her hand back from his.

“You think?” Jimmy asked sarcastically, “Luce, you created this. You continue to push me away over and over again; as your friend and as more. How did you expect me to react?”

“I don’t know,” Lucy said, brushing a stray tear off her cheek, “I just want my friend back,”

“Me too, but it won’t be the same,” Jimmy explained with a sigh, “You want me to be the same carefree Jimmy Olsen I was last year; I can’t do that.”

“I’m not the same either,” Lucy said quietly.

“I know,” Jimmy nodded, “You have a lot to deal with after what happened last year, but does your healing have to include banning me from my own child’s life?”

“I thought if you weren’t around then you couldn’t be missed,” Lucy explained.

“You’re so sure I’m gonna disappoint you,” Jimmy realized painfully, “Why?”

Lucy was quiet, looking down at her hands as she fought the tears that were threatening to overcome her. Stupid hormones. She hated not being able to control her emotions.

“Hi, can I come in?” Lucy asked tearfully when Lois opened the door.

“Yeah, Luce, come on in,” Lois stepped aside, motioning for her sister to come inside. “What’s wrong?”

“I just sat there and broke down. What’s happened to me? I don’t try to fight. I just break down and cry when someone says something I don’t like.” Lucy paced in the foyer as Lois tried to figure out what she was talking about.

“Lucy, back up,”

“Jimmy asked me why I am so convinced he’s going to disappoint me, and I broke down. I don’t have an answer. I’ve been pushing him away because I’m convinced he’s going to disappoint me and I don’t have a reason. I don’t know why. How screwed up is that?”

“Luce,” Lois began, taking a step towards her sister.

“What’s wrong with me?” Lucy asked tearfully.

After Jordan’s kidnapping and her shotgun wedding disaster to Lex, she hadn’t been able to turn to her sister in a long time. The wall that had been built between them seemed unmovable after the fiasco with Jordan had happened. It had been a juggle the last few months of two steps forward and three steps back. Almost like they forgot how to be sisters and friends. At first, she’d felt responsible for his death, then his kidnapping. She had been there at the hospital and had done nothing; questioned nothing. She’d sat there and done nothing as Amanda Marshall had kidnapped her nephew from the nursery.

Lois had refused to contemplate any possibility that Jordan had died. They had fought for months. She’d been convinced her sister was in denial and now that her nephew was back home with Lois and Clark she had a hard time trying to repair their relationship to where it once was. They’d been close. When their parents had been fighting Lois had always protected her, distracting her from the fights with silly games to play.

<< “Invisible or fly?”>>

“Wrong with you?” Lois asked. “What makes you think there’s something wrong with you?”

Lucy sank to the couch in tears, “I’m pregnant with my best friend’s baby and instead of celebrating I’m over here pushing him away; and I don’t even have a reason anymore.”

“Lucy…”

“There is nothing wrong with him. I mean, anyone would be glad to have him in their life, but for some reason, I can’t understand why he wants me. Why?”

Lois took a seat next to her, “Why wouldn’t he?”

“What?”

“You’re smart, successful, talented,” Lois began, “Why wouldn’t he want to be with you?”

“I’m screwed up,” Lucy said, irritably.

“You’re screwed up?” Lois laughed, bitterly, “I’m screwed up, Luce.” Lois sighed, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear, “Between the drama with mom and dad and the divorce and every ex-boyfriend I’ve had that has literally stabbed me in the back one way or another,,, And let’s not forget having my son kidnapped while I was unconscious and having everyone around me try to convince me otherwise, including my own husband. Yeah, I’m screwed up, but you don’t see me sitting here scared to face the world. You forced me to take a chance on Clark and look where it got me. I’m married with a family and I couldn’t be happier. So, I’m going to tell you, Lucy Lane, take a chance. Do you love Jimmy?”

“I don’t know,” Lucy shook her head.

“The fact that we’re having this conversation proves you do know.” Lois cut her off. “Take a chance. This last year hasn’t been easy on either of us, but you can’t give up on life. It’s very lonely.”

“I’m not you,”

“No, you’re my sister and I love you very much.” Lois smiled back at her, “Lex pulled a number on you and you crawled into a shell afraid to face anything that came your way. You pulling away like this and constantly shutting down is only going to give him more power over you from beyond the grave. Is that what you want?”

“This has nothing to do with Lex,” Lucy snapped shakily.

“Doesn’t it?” Lois asked.

“No,” Lucy shrugged, “I am so over him. I’ve gone on dates,”

“Really?” Lois challenged.

“Really,” Lucy shot back.

“Nothing to write home about, though,” Lois noted by the expressionless look on her sister’s face.

“It wasn’t great,” Lucy edged.

“You may think you’re over Lex, but you’re not; not completely. I’m not talking about being in love or anything like that. I’m talking about something bigger…What he did…” Lois shook her head quietly, “If I hadn’t been in the hospital I’d have…”

“I know,” Lucy smiled back at her sister. “I’m lucky…I just wish I had listened to you and Clark.”

“Well, then listen to me now,” Lois said softly, hugging her sister tightly, “You have so much love to give. Don’t punish yourself for Lex’s sins. You deserve to be happy. Take a chance.”

Lucy smiled, placing a hand on her sister’s growing abdomen, “How’d you get to be so smart?”

“Life,” Lois laughed patting Lucy’s growing abdomen. “When do you find out?”

“In a few weeks,” Lucy said wistfully. “Come with me?”

Lois nodded softly, “Of course,”

Lucy pulled back slightly, changing the subject to something less emotional for the time being. “So, what did the doctor say? Clean bill of health? Can I stop worrying about you?”

Lois smiled, “I don’t know about that but the doctor did say SHE looked great and blood pressure was stable...”

“She?” Lucy grinned ear from ear. “A little girl?”

“Yes, a little girl,” Lois smiled. “We found out today.”

“That’s wonderful,” Lucy grinned happily. “I can’t believe how fast this is going.”

“You’re going to be a great mother, Luce,” Lois encouraged her.

“How can you be sure?” Lucy asked, tearfully. “I’m so screwed up,”

“Because you care,” Lois said softly. “You care so much.”

“Maybe too much,” Lucy sighed. “I don’t know…”

“Don’t know what?” Lois prompted, confused as she watched her sister pace around the room.

“I had an offer today and I don’t know what to do,” Lucy said shakily.

“Offer?”

“James Turner wants me to run for District Attorney against Ryan Knox this upcoming election.”

“What??” Lois asked, baffled. “Luce…”

“The thing about it is…I’d love an opportunity to do something like this. It would be great..but…”

“But??”

“There’s something really creepy about him. Really familiar and creepy about the way he smiled at me.”

“Like you’d seen it before?” Lois asked.

“Yeah, how did you…?”

“That’s how Clark and I felt when Perry introduced us….I can’t place it…”

“Lois, I know this is crazy…but is it possible…?”

“What possible?” Lois asked.

“That Lex isn’t dead?”

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube