When Churches Come Crashing Down
Folc4evernaday
Part 20

“Not Superman’s child?” James Turner mused, watching the footage on the television once more of Leigh-Anne’s story. He glanced across the room where Jesse sat, floating a few feet above the ground, playing with a few wooden blocks in his hands.

“How does she explain the super powers then, Hunky?” Mindy Church asked.

“Transference?” James Turner mused. “If Superman’s powers can be transferred…” The wheels began to turn in his mind. “Well, then this changes everything…”

A sharp knock at the door caught Lana’s attention. She rolled her eyes as she stood up to answer the door. “Coming.” She groaned.

Inspector Henderson and Sergeant Zymack stood on the other side of the door with a grim expression on their face. “:Lana Lang?”

“Yes?” She hesitated slightly, “What’s going on?”

“I’m going to ask you this once and I’m going to expect the truth from you. Did you participate in the kidnapping of Jordan Lane Kent?”

“What?” Lana’s expression froze. “Who told you this? Mrs. Cox? That woman doesn’t know what she’s talking about. She’s a criminal. Her and Nigel!”

Henderson and Zymack looked at each other, uncertain of what to make of her accusations.

“How can she NOT know where he is?” Lois fumed angrily, throwing her purse to the ground as she fell against the soft cushioned couch.

“Henderson said she was claiming he was kidnapped from her,” Clark said, taking a seat next to her. She leaned back against him, stretching her legs out.

“Great. Now we have ANOTHER kidnapper to hunt down.” She groaned angrily, grabbing the throw pillow next to her and smothering her scream of aggravation. “Argh! I am so tired of all this.” She threw the pillow across the room in frustration. “I’m just tired of it. I’m tired of the deception and the lies. I just want this all to be over. I never thought I would have wanted to have a child so much until Jordan was taken from me. I swear that woman is lucky there were officers there protecting her. I probably wouldn’t have been able to restrain myself otherwise.”

Clark wrapped his arms around her as she continued to ramble on. “Now you see why Henderson didn’t want you in the same room as her?

“ I still cannot believe the nerve of that woman. How dare she act like the victim in all of this? I mean, who does she think she is?”

“She’s obviously seriously troubled,” Clark said, tightening his arms around her.

She smiled when she felt his hands cover hers.

“So, how’re you feeling otherwise?” Clark’s voice penetrated her thoughts.

She turned in his arms so she could face him, resting her head against his shoulder as she wrapped her arms around him. “Okay, I guess.”

“I know it’s a bit sooner than you expected.” He noted.

“We still have to confirm with the doctor.” Lois cut him off. “I need to make an appointment tomorrow. Don’t let me forget.”

“I won’t,” Clark reassured her. He glanced at the clock. “You may be able to catch them. Still 15 minutes till they close.”

She let out a soft sigh and shook her head, “I can’t … Not right now. Why do you think she did it?”

“I don’t know.” His hands slipped in between their bodies, resting on her abdomen. “I don’t understand how anyone could take any child like that, or put them in danger the way she did.”

She felt her throat beginning to tighten and fought to stifle the tears that were beginning to betray her. “I’m sorry.” His arms tightened around her, pulling her close to him.

“It hurts.” She said. “It just hurts.”

“I know, baby. I’d try and find him and bring him home, but I wouldn’t know where to even begin looking.”

“I know.” She said, tightening her arms around him.

“Transference?” Sam Lane asked, curiously. “I never knew it was possible with Superman.”

“There are a lot of things we don’t know about our friendly alien, Dr. Lane, but that’s what we need your help with.” Mrs. Cox smiled at him.

“I don’t understand why you’re coming to me. Dr. Klein has been working with him more than I have.” Sam argued.

“But you have a greater mind; more open to the possibilities that lay ahead of us. Dr. Klein is more practical.” Mrs. Cox explained.

“I’ll take a look at S.T.A.R. Labs’ file and see what I can…” He was cut off when Mrs. Cox handed him a file. “Oh? I see you already have it.”

“I always do my homework, Dr. Lane.” She smiled back at him. “When can I expect some results?”

“We are dealing with Superman here.” He acknowledged. “I should know something in about a week or two. I’ll let you know.”

“Excellent.” Mrs. Cox smiled back at him before turning to leave.

“DNA results just came back.” Detective Wolf said, waving a file in front of him. “There is no way that baby is genetically linked to either Lana Lang or Amanda Marshall.”

Henderson smiled broadly, “Get them both charged with conspiracy in kidnapping. I’ll make the call.”

“You got it, Henderson. You want to do it in person or on the phone?” Wolf asked.

Henderson pondered a moment. “I’ll do it in person. Any idea how long that medical examiner is going to take to examine him?”

“Could be a couple hours.” Wolf winced.

“I’ll cut them a break. They’ve waited over six months to find their son. They can have him checked out themselves.” Henderson reasoned.

“You just want Lane to quit harassing the hell out of you.” Wolf teased.

“That and I get to actually deliver good news,” Henderson said.

Clark held his wife close to him, marveling at how perfectly she fit against his frame. The soft cotton comforter was wrapped securely around both of them as she slept. They’d made love well into the night until Lois had finally succumbed to exhaustion. Unfortunately, sleep didn’t come as easy for him. He still had a hard time coming to grips with the fact that they’d caught Jordan’s kidnapper.

She was nothing like what he’d expected. He’d expected a monster, someone uncaring. He’d not expected a young woman worried just as much about their son’s well-being as them. What was strange was she really believed she was Jordan’s mother. The reality of what she’d done had obviously not sunk in yet.

A sharp knock at the front door caught his attention. “You gotta be kidding me.” He muttered.

Lois groaned sleepily, “Who is it?”

“Honey, just go back to sleep.” He said.

“No.” She shook her head, peeling herself out of his arms and climbing out of bed. “It could be Henderson.”

He nodded, understanding her reasoning. He could easily x-ray the door and see who was on the other side, but something was stopping him. Fear? He didn’t know. There was only one way to find out.

“I don’t like this, James Turner. Superman’s reputation being destroyed was the biggest selling point on getting him OUT of Metropolis and away from my company. What happens if Metropolis starts accepting him again?” Mindy asked.

“My dear, we have something better than the destruction of Superman. We have a human being that has successfully survived the transfer of Superman’s powers to himself. All we have to do is transfer his powers to us and we’ll become unstoppable.” Turner explained. “If you wanted to you could kick Superman out of Metropolis yourself.”

“Keep talking….” Mindy smiled.

He was beautiful. They were beautiful. His family. Lois held Jordan against her chest, refusing to let him go. He’d cried when they’d first brought him inside. Once Lois had held Jordan he stopped…almost like he KNEW, he was with his mother. He knew it was going to be an adjustment. To Jordan they were strangers. He’d been around different people for six months. He’d known someone else ‘mommy.’

Now, he lay comfortably against Lois’ chest as she slept. He wrapped his arms securely around them. There were so many things he needed to do. He wouldn’t fit in his bassinet. They would need to get a crib. Clothes, diapers… The list went on and on.

He felt the burning of the tears he’d suppressed for so long as they seeped out of the corners of his eyes. He was holding his son for the first time. The nagging fear that he’d had for the last month was gone. Jordan was not dead. He’d been so afraid that he’d grabbed onto hope too abruptly and that he and Lois would only be disappointed. Now, here he was with his family; just as it was always supposed to be.

The next morning, Lois let out a long breath as she waited for the ultrasound technician to reenter the room. She’d been able to get a rushed appointment this morning at the last minute. Clark held Jordan as she leaned back on the exam table.

“You okay?” Clark asked, interrupting her thoughts.

“Yeah.” She sighed, readjusting herself on the uncomfortable exam bed. She placed a hesitant hand over her abdomen and looked down. “I’m scared. I haven’t been paying attention…What if something’s wrong? What if I’m really far along and…”

“We will handle it; I promise,” Clark whispered. “We don’t even know how far along you are or whether this is going to be a boy or a girl yet. Calm down.”

“It just feels different,” Lois said bitterly.

“It is different.” He said, patting Jordan on the back.

The door opened and the ultrasound technician smiled brightly at them, “Okay, are you two ready to see your first baby pictures?”

“Ready to see your brother or sister?” Clark asked Jordan. He just looked up at him quizzically.

“Eight weeks.” Lois sighed happily as she looked at the sonogram. “I can’t believe…I mean…”

“I know.” Clark smiled happily, kissing her on the cheek. “I’ll call Dr. Klein and make sure he knows in case we need his help.”

“Sounds good,” Lois nodded.

“Ah, ba…” Jordan squealed.

Lois smiled. “Yes, that’s your baby brother or sister.” She looked at her watch. “We need to swing by the Planet on the way home. I gotta grab my laptop.”

“Will do.” Clark nodded as they headed to the Jeep.

“So, you wanna explain to me exactly what you’re looking for here?” Jack asked as they sifted through the files in the backroom of the Metro Club.

“You don’t have to do this. The Chief’ll get upset if you get arrested again.” Jimmy said cautiously.

“I want to help. Bibbo’s real tore up about what happened to his friend Red. After everything, he’s been doing for me lately. I figure I owe him one.”

Jimmy just shook his head. “I know there’s more going on here that what meets the eye. This Miranda keeps popping up everywhere.”

“What do think; she killed Red?” Jack asked.

“I don’t know. Bibbo said Red witnessed something and it cost him his life.” Jimmy said solemnly.

“Yeah,” Jack nodded, grabbing another stack of folders in the dark, sifting through them one by one.

“Going a bit out of your way for research aren’t you?” Jack asked.

“I figured if I broke this story the Chief would have to give me a chance on a real story.”

“Ah, trying to make your mark, huh?” Jack asked.

“Yeah.”

“Too bad you won’t live to see it.” Toni Taylor said, flicking the light on as she opened the door to the office. She held a gun on them, “Keep your hands where I can see them.”

Jack looked at Jimmy, “I guess this wasn’t part of the plan, huh?”

“Uh, no.”

Perry White smiled as he stepped into his office that morning. He opened up the front page of the Daily Planet that portrayed a picture of Amanda Marshall and Lana Lang. The headline read, “LANE KENT BABY HOAX REVEALED! BABY SNATCHERS ARRESTED!”

“Now, these are headlines.” He mused to himself.

When he’d gotten the news last night, he’d had a hard time believing Lois and Clark. For months Lois had insisted Jordan was alive and that he had been kidnapped. He’d chopped it up to denial over his death. Clark had had a hard time dealing with his son’s ‘death’ but he’d accepted what had happened. It wasn’t until a few months ago that he’d noticed a change in the young man’s attitude. Neither had told him what was going on; they both seemed more focused on finding everyone that had been in the hospital that day. Now, they were at home with their son just like they were supposed to be six months ago.

The sharp ring of his phone interrupted his thoughts. “Perry White.” He answered, “Oh, hi, Alice. What? No, no, I haven’t….Okay. I’ll call around and see what I can find out. I’m sure he’s fine…. Okay…Okay… Love you too. Bye, honey.”

He hung up the phone in aggravation, “Damn that kid. What’s he gotten himself into now?”

A knock on the door interrupted him once more. “Mr. White?”

“What is it Roberto?” Perry sighed.

“I can’t find Jimmy. He was supposed to have that research on the Turner profile, but I haven’t seen him anywhere. There’s nothing on his desk. I don’t think he’s been in all morning.” Roberto said slightly annoyed.

Perry nodded, “I’ll see if I can find him.” Roberto nodded, backing out of the office. He sighed, “What is going on this morning?”

Jack and Jimmy sat tied with their backs against one another. They were both unconscious and oblivious to the conversation around them.

“Kill them.” Miranda snapped angrily.

“We don’t know how much they know…” Toni argued, trying to reason with Miranda.

“They were snooping through your office. Do you really want them getting a close look at your books?” Miranda asked.

“I can’t have this linked to me.” Toni snapped coolly.

“Then get a professional.” Miranda snapped.

“If you want them gone so badly why don’t you do it yourself?” Toni challenged.

“Excuse me?” Miranda asked.

“You heard me. What’s wrong? Chicken?”

Clark’s brow furrowed as he listened to the anguish in Perry’s voice. “Nobody’s seen either of them? Are you sure Jack isn’t just hiding out or something? Yeah, Jimmy wouldn’t do that…Okay, I’ll call around and see what I can find out. Okay, you too. Bye.”

He turned back to Lois who was sitting at the table, trying to feed Jordan baby cereal for the first time. Neither of them seemed to like it. Jordan kept spitting it back out at her, unwilling to eat any of it.

“He’s still not eating?” He asked gently.

Lois just nodded. “I don’t know what I’m doing wrong here.”

“Maybe he’s just not hungry?” Clark suggested. He was rewarded with a look of death. “Yeah,” He decided changing the subject was probably best. “Uh, that was Perry. Apparently, Jack never came home last night from his job at Bibbo’s.”

“Isn’t he a bit young to be working at a bar?” Lois asked, attempting to put another spoonful of cereal in Jordan’s mouth.

“Who knows?” Clark shrugged. “He also said Jimmy hasn’t shown up for work.”

“And those two are related how?” Lois prompted impatiently.

“According to Bibbo, Jimmy came in last night asking some questions about Red’s murder.”

“So, you think they’re probably together?” Lois asked.

“It’s possible. I’m gonna do a scan over the city and see if I can find them. Do you need anything while I’m out?”

Lois handed him the bowl of cereal. “Yeah, find something he’ll eat.”

Clark smiled at her. She was irritated with the situation, but she still couldn’t hide the smile on her face. Waking up with his wife and son in his arms had been a dream come true. He still had a hard time believing this wasn’t a dream.

“I’ll see what I can do.” He gave her a peck on the cheek and spun into his suit, flying out the window at super speed.

He could pick up the soft whisper of his wife’s, “Be careful,” as he flew over the city.

Leigh-Anne stood outside Inspector Henderson’s office with the morning edition of the Daily Planet in her hands. “Can I help you?” Detective Wolf asked, noticing her standing by Henderson’s office.

“I’m waiting to see Inspector Henderson.” She said curtly.

“He’s in a meeting with the DA this morning. I’m not sure how long he’ll be.” Detective Wolf explained. “Is there something I can help you with?”

“Yes,” Leigh-Anne said, turning on her heel to face him, “You can put my son’s kidnapping as a priority. It’s been almost twenty-four hours. I haven’t heard anything. Police keep asking me and asking me what happened. I’ve told them five hundred times; over and over. You were able to find these reporters’ son. What about Jesse? What about my son?”

“Mrs. Stipanovic..”

“MISS” She corrected. “I want my son.” She cried. “He’s just a baby. He can’t….”

“I promise you we are looking for him.”

“Then why are there so many police officers in here? Why aren’t they looking for Jesse? We haven’t gotten a ransom demand. We haven’t had any contact… This can’t be good.” She said, shaking her head.

Lois watched in rapt attention as LNN played a recap of Leigh-Anne’s speech from yesterday. Clark had never told her yesterday. Leigh-Anne had finally admitted that she’d lied. She’d been pushed to do it, but she’d still admitted the truth. That was the important thing, wasn’t it? Hopefully, Metropolis would go back to normal and quit punishing her husband for something he never did. It had been heartbreaking to watch footage of him at rescues when all anyone could do was hound him about not taking responsibility for his child. If anyone knew him at all they’d know that was the last thing he’d do, but there was no way of telling the world that. They’d been forced to suffer through the scandal, unable to say anything.

Caroline Weeks’ face appeared on the screen, walking through the streets of Metropolis as she spoke. “The reaction of Metropolis to Leigh-Anne Steponavic’s revelation yesterday has been mixed. Many understand her reasons, but others still hold Superman to blame…”

The camera switched over to a middle-aged woman with short brown hair and glasses, “I don’t understand how this changes things. Superman is responsible for that little boy having superpowers. He should help her. It can’t be easy raising a super-powered baby.”

The camera then switched over to an elderly man in a business suit, “I think it’s sad. Superman has become such a public figure that everyone wants a piece of him. How many tabloid covers have had stories about women claiming to have his children? It’s the price of publicity, unfortunately. I do feel for this woman. No mother should have to deal with the kidnapping of their child, but I am disappointed that it took her son being taken from her for her to recognize what she’d done wrong. Superman has feelings too. This can’t have been easy for him to deal with.”

The camera switched over to a man in a leather jacket with a blue bandanna over his head. “I think Superman is stupid. He could have any babe he wants, but he never takes them up on it. If I had powers like that I’d….”

Lois switched off the television, “I think that’s enough of that.” She muttered turning back to Jordan. “What do you think?”

Jordan simply smiled up at her, opting to clap his hands as best he could. She laughed. “You really are a happy baby, aren’t you? You’ve been bounced around since birth and it's hardly phased you.”

He just laughed again, falling back against the cushion of the couch next to her. She reached out to pick him up, but he swatted her away. It had been an ongoing battle ever since he’d been returned to them last night. They could only hold him when he wanted them to. Picking him up without consent only resulted in blood curdling screaming from him. It tore her heart in two when he pushed her away.

She’d never thought of herself as a maternal person. She’d never pictured herself as a mother, but slowly she was finding herself comfortable in ‘mother-mode.’ She was still nervous with the little things. Changing Jordan, feeding him, and getting him to sleep seemed like chores by themselves. When he wanted her around him; he was pleasant and playful. When he didn’t want her around he grew moody and fussy.

She was still growing accustomed to his moods as he was hers. It was an adaption that would occur over time. Time they’d been robbed of. She couldn’t help but be grateful that Lana and Amanda were behind bars. If she were able to she’d probably try to strangle the both of them. Understanding Lana’s part in the kidnapping had been hard. She still had yet to give a statement. Henderson said she’d had Jordan when they found her, claiming he was her son.

After all the pain they’d been through….

They’d concentrated so much attention on Leigh-Anne’s son, Jesse and they’d been looking at the wrong child the entire time. It had been hard to swallow at the time. She’d felt so stupid for focusing on the wrong baby when the real kidnapper had been right under her nose the entire time.

Amanda had been working with Lucy along with Lana. Was that when they’d decided to give Lana the baby? To protect Amanda? She groaned, rubbing her temples methodically. She was going to make herself crazy trying to understand something that couldn’t be understood. Kidnapping was wrong no matter which way you looked at it, but the way they’d kidnapped Jordan…

The lies.

They’d tried to make her think her son was dead. What kind of person does that?

She swiped at the tears that had begun to fall down her face. Jordan patted on her knee, sitting next to her with his arms up for her to hold him. She smiled back at him. “Thank you, sweetie.” She whispered, holding him close.

Clark scanned the city, looking for any sign of Jimmy or Jack. No one had heard or seen them since last night. He hoped to find them goofing off somewhere having lost track of time, but he knew better. After a year of working with Lois, he’d learned that his first instinct was usually the right one. Right now his instinct told him they were together and they were in trouble.

The familiar streets of Hobb’s Bay were empty, but that didn’t mean anything. He’d learned his lesson with that a long time ago. Many criminals tried to hide their crimes from him by hiding behind lead-lined doors/ buildings. Didn’t they know that was the first place he was going to look?

He continued scanning the area until he found himself hovering above the Metro Club. “Talk about Déjà vu.” He muttered, noticing the familiar site in front of him.

“Where do you get off?” Miranda hissed angrily. “I help you get your clients back… I worked my butt off helping you get this club opened and this is how you repay me?”

“I never said I wasn’t grateful, but I am not going to go to jail for murder because you’re trigger happy.” Toni snapped. “You ordered Johnny around all the time when he was running the Metro Club..”

“And I miss Johnny dearly. He didn’t argue with my decisions. I offer services that “I help you get your clients back, staffing, money, and this is the thanks I get?”

“I never said I wasn’t grateful, but I am not going to go to jail for murder because you’re trigger happy.” Toni snapped. “You ordered Johnny around all the time when he was running the Metro Club..”

“And I miss Johnny dearly. He didn’t argue with my decisions.”

“Well, he’s not around anymore is he.” Toni snapped. “I’m not a thug; I’m a businesswoman. I told you before I was creating a new slate.”

“So, I see.” Miranda snapped, pulling a gun out of her purse. “I guess I have to take care of my own problems then.”

Toni nodded, glad she was finally being heard. The last thing she heard was the echo of a shot being fired. She felt herself enveloped in a warmth she couldn’t describe as the room faded to black.

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube