When Churches Come Crashing Down
Folc4evernaday
Part 16

Jack watched as the infamous man of steel began to move from his still position. He’d watched as Nigel and Mrs. Cox had fled the scene when Superman had charged into the warehouse at full force. Superman had advanced towards his captors and released Jack from his restraints when he had collapsed to the ground. It wasn’t long after that that the room had filled with a mysterious fog and he had found himself alone with an unconscious man of steel.

Jack pulled out the small globe from his pocket and smiled. Nigel hadn’t been quick enough to grab the globe before him when Superman had broken in. He still didn’t understand the meaning of the messages. They seemed like an advanced form of a time capsule to him.

Jack gingerly touched the sores on his face. He’d been beaten repeatedly over something he understood so little about. Why were these messages so important? Why did the man in the messages have the same crest as Superman? There were so many questions unanswered.

The reporting of a corpse sighting in Hobb’s Bay caught Inspector Henderson’s attention. He turned the radio up and listened intently. “…woman in her mid-thirties. Hair color blonde….”

He made a u-turn at the next light and headed towards Hobb’s Bay.

Where was he?

Lois peered out the window, looking for a sign. Anything that could give her a clue as to her husband’s whereabouts. There had still been no sightings of him all evening. He’d been gone for four hours now. She tried to push back the feeling of dread that had overcome her as she took a turn towards Hobb’s Bay.

All he could do was stare. The globe floated several feet in the air, projecting the same man it had before. Superman seemed oblivious to the man as he watched the man of steel rise from the cemented surface he had once been lying on. The globe remained behind Superman so as not to draw attention to itself as it projected a bright yellow light over him. Superman seemed to visibly relax as the light washed over him. He turned to face Jack and the light disappeared; the globe fell into Superman’s hand. He stared at the object for a moment then looked up at Jack, “Are you all right?”

Jack nodded mutely. What had just happened?

The sound of sirens could be heard from a distance. Superman looked at him suspiciously. “Did you call the police?”

Jack shook his head.

Before Superman could respond the slamming of a car door caught his attention. Jack looked up and was surprised to see the figure of a very angry Lois Lane advancing towards them. He was even more surprised to see the apprehension in Superman’s eyes.

He was okay. He was standing there without a scratch on him. He was okay and he’d been gone for FOUR hours without so much as a peep. He was a dead man.

“Cl….” Lois caught herself when she noticed Jack sitting close by. “Su..Superman?”

“Uh, hi, Lois.” He smiled brightly at her. He knew he was in trouble. She could tell that by the apprehension she saw reflected in his eyes.

“Where the hell have you been?” She hissed angrily.

“Uh, here?” He shrugged.

What was he doing; playing games with her when she was this upset?

“Well, I figured that.” She said in-between gritted teeth.

“Superman?” The voice of Inspector Henderson caught their attention and both Lois and Clark turned to face him.

“Inspector?” Clark stepped away from her and walked towards him.

“You have another superpower you’re not telling us about?” Henderson asked.

“What do you mean?” He asked.

“The body that was just pulled out. It hasn’t even made it on the wire yet and you’re already here. What gives?” Henderson asked.

“Body?” Lois and Clark asked in unison.

“I am so glad you’re all right, Jack,” Alice said, dabbing at the wounds on his face. “I can’t imagine what you must have gone through to get yourself like this.”

Jack winced as she dabbed at an open cut. “I’m….fi…ine.”

“Well, you’re real lucky Inspector Henderson cut that deal with you, Jack,” Perry said reprovingly. “I don’t ever want to hear about you getting mixed up in something like that again, ya hear?”

“Yes, sir.” Jack nodded. Perry handed him a rolled up newspaper. “What’s this?” Jack asked.

“You still need to find a job.” Perry reminded him with a wink.

“Dr. Gretchen Kelly.” Lois read off the autopsy report, “Age thirty-five. Gunshot wound. Time of death, to be determined….”

Clark took the file from her and laid it on the side table next to them. “Must you read that right before bed?”

Lois smiled back at him, “I’m trying to stay focused.” She argued.

“Reading an autopsy report..”

“Preliminary report.” She corrected.

“…is no way to spend the evening.” He finished. He was quite for a moment, opting to find solace in holding his wife close to him; resting his hands protectively over her rib cage rather than to speak.

“Clark?”

“Hmmm?”

“You never did tell me what happened earlier today. I mean, between Henderson and Perry and Jack you conveniently left out where you were for those missing four hours…. What happened?”

“I don’t know.” Clark began slowly. “I was looking for Jack. I tried looking everywhere. I finally ended up finding him in one of those warehouses. I remember seeing Nigel there, but everything after that is a bit hazy.”

“What do you mean ‘hazy?’” Lois challenged.

“The next thing I remember is waking up outside, Jack waiting patiently.”

“Do you think it was Kryptonite?” She asked apprehensively.

“I don’t know,” Clark said, tightening his arms around her as he buried his face into her neckline. “It was the strangest sensation. I felt like everything in me had been sucked out; then just as quickly I felt it all coming back to me at full force. If it was Kryptonite I wouldn’t have my powers.” He reasoned.

“True.” Lois sighed, stroking his head as she thought aloud. “Doesn’t make any sense.”

“And that’s only part of the problem. I don’t know what happened to Nigel.” Clark reminded her.

“Where does he fit in all of this?” Lois asked. “I mean, he was Lex’s butler for crying out loud. What would he want with Jack?”

“It wasn’t really Jack he wanted. I think it was my globe.”

“But why?” Lois asked.

“I don’t know.” He sighed.

Inspector Henderson stared at the large pile of files on his desk as he sifted through another equally large pile on the other half of his desk. Crime was one thing that never seemed to end in Metropolis. The crime rate had increased immensely ever since the Superman hate groups had come to life this past summer. More demonstrations against Superman’s activities in Metropolis had meant more extremists and more arrests.

He stared at the autopsy report and shook his head. What was the world coming to? Even a doctor wasn’t safe. This was the second doctor to be killed that week.

“Hey, Henderson, you got a sec?” Detective Wolf asked.

“Not really. What’s up?”

“I got a possible kidnapping case out here. She asked for you specifically.”

“Oh, for Christ’s sake, tell Lois to go home! I’m working on it!” He snapped back.

“Uh, it’s not Lane.” Detective Wolf said.

“Oh.” Henderson seemed to calm down a notch as he recomposed himself. “Who is it then?”

“Amanda Marshall. She works in the DA’s office.” Detective Wolf explained. “She said someone stole her baby last night.”

“You’re saying your son was kidnapped?” Henderson asked.

“Yes. He’s just a baby. I don’t understand why anyone would want to do such a horrible thing.” Amanda cried.

“Don’t worry, ma’am. We’ll find him and get him home safe to you.” Henderson reassured.

“Thank you, Inspector.” She sniffed.

“How can you be so calm? Don’t you realize once Superman comes after me he’ll be coming after you too?” Dianna hissed as she paced around Miranda’s office.

“Me?” Miranda scoffed. “Don’t be ridiculous, Dianna, I wasn’t the one stupid enough to make a move against him without testing the merchandise first. You partnered up with Bill Church and made the mistake of trusting him. How do you know he’s not in police custody right now singing like a canary?”

“You worked with him too.” Dianna reminded her.

“Prove it.” Miranda smiled back. “Now if you’ll excuse me I have a meeting with a client. I really can’t afford to be seen with a fugitive such as yourself.” Miranda opened the door to her office; a silent message to Dianna.

“Your day will come,” Dianna warned.

“And yours is already here, Dianna. Please don’t come back or I’ll be forced to call the police.”

The rain poured against the window panes, drumming a light rhythm along with the lightning outside. It was a sour beginning to any morning, but an even worst beginning when you were already running late.

No matter how late he already was; Jimmy Olsen just couldn’t convince himself to move from the place he stood outside Lucy Lane’s door. His arm felt like an anvil. Every time he lifted it up to knock on her door his arm fell down back to his side; still unsuccessful in its task.

He had to talk to her.

He lifted his arm once more to knock on the wooden door in front of him. His heart hammered against his chest and his throat went dry.

He was caught off guard when the door swung open. “Jimmy, what are you doing here?” Lucy asked.

He swallowed hard, “I…I….” He struggled to form his words, fighting the emotions threatening to overtake him.

“What’s wrong?” She asked.

“We need to talk.” He said hoarsely.

“Talk?” She asked skeptically.

He nodded, taking a hesitant step inside her apartment. “I know about the baby.”

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube