When Churches Come Crashing Down
Folc4evernaday
Part 13

The visit to the hospital was emotionally draining. Ellen Lane had been uncharacteristically quiet as everyone had spoken, trying to figure out how Baby Rage had gotten out. Lucy had been ashamed of her inability to keep Baby Rage behind bars. Lois had quietly taken everything in, choosing to chip in a word or two here and there. Her mind was elsewhere. Clark had caught her gaze drifting to the sign that read, ‘Maternity Ward’ once or twice during the visit.

He was careful to make the patrol around the city quick. Thankfully, the criminal element decided to take a break for the night. He only spotted a few minor occurrences that needed his immediate attention; an attempted break-in in Suicide Slum and a carjacking. He deposited the criminals at the police station and gave the officers his statement; then left to return home.

When he returned home, Lois was sitting on the couch with files all around her. She was typing furiously on her laptop, barely looking up when he entered the room. He smiled slightly, bemused at the intensity in which she threw herself into her work. “Hi, honey.” He said, taking a seat next to her. She leaned up to give him a peck on the cheek before she returned to typing.

After a few minutes, she stopped typing and scanned what she’d been typing so vigorously. He waited patiently for her to finish before daring to speak. She closed her laptop and placed it on the table in front of her; then turned to face him. “Sorry, I was writing up the piece on Uncle Mike’s attack.”

His eyebrows furrowed, “Lois, aren’t you a bit…”

“What?” She interrupted, challenging his accusation before he even voiced it.

“…close to this?” He asked.

“We wrote the original piece on his attack before. We get the follow-up.” She said, “Those are the rules.”

He sighed, raking a hand through his hair. She neglected to remember that Perry hadn’t wanted her working on the story in the first place and she’d had to argue with him for two days before he finally gave in.

“Fine. What’s all this?” He asked, motioning to the files surrounding them.

“These are the cases in which evidence has come up missing. I’m trying to find the connection.” Lois explained.

“I thought Lucy said they already figured out it was Lana that was getting rid of the evidence.”

Lois shook her head, “There has to be more to it. It makes no sense. Just out of the blue, she decided to start sabotaging the cases? I think we need to look at the cases that have been sabotaged. Figure out the pattern.”

“Okay.” He nodded.

Lois picked up another file on the table, “This is the file on Dr. Benzen that conducted my…caesarean. I..” She shook her head as her voice began to crack. He placed a supportive arm around her.

“It’s okay.” He soothed. “We’ll figure this out.”

“How? When? That…that woman is out there flaunting Jordan everywhere and…and we have no idea where she is or….”

“I know.” He tightened his arms around her. “I feel like an idiot. I should have listened to you. You were right.”

“I’m always right.” She smiled up at him proudly. He smiled wryly down at her. She was trying to lighten the mood. “But that’s not the point. We have to find her. We have to figure out why she took him.”

“What if we’re wrong?” Clark asked hesitantly.

“What do you mean?” Lois asked, backing out of his embrace.

“I mean, what if she doesn’t have Jordan? Then what?” Clark asked.

“She has a six-month-old baby that FLIES, Clark. How else do you explain that?” Lois asked accusatorially.

He raked a ragged hand through his hair, “I don’t know. It’s just …Nothing. Nothing makes any sense anymore. I mean, I’m full-blooded Kryptonian and I didn’t even start developing powers until I was a teenager.”

“So, what are you saying?” Lois asked, “We should just give up and let this crazy lady ruin your reputation while she raises our baby…IF he is our baby.”

“I don’t know what I’m saying.” He said shaking his head. He let out a shaky breath, “We just have to be very careful about this.” His wrapped his arm around her, pulling her close to him. “This woman’s got the entire media circus eating out of her hand right now. The last thing we need to do is draw attention to ourselves by making accusations without anything to back it up.”

“Perception is the difference between headlines and filler.” Lois nodded. “I know. I know you’re right, but I..I hate this.”

“Well, first thing first; we need to find this woman and figure out a way to find out if he’s Jordan or not.”

“I’ll know,” Lois said confidently.

“Honey. Don’t you think we need some kind of DNA test?”

“Clark, trust me on this; I’ll know,” Lois repeated, patting her abdomen. “I carried him for seven months. I heard his heartbeat. I felt him move and kick and hiccup. I’ll know.” She leaned up to kiss him, wrapping her arms around his neck as she deepened the kiss.

He groaned in pleasure as she moaned against his lips, pressing her body against his solid frame. “You sure you’re not …too…tired?” His answer was a long seductive finger running up and down his chest as she leaned up to recapture his mouth.

“No way,” She murmured, slipping her hand beneath the hem of his sweatshirt. He moaned in pleasure as her hand brushed against his abdomen. “I have…plenty of…plenty of energy.” She rasped out, lifting his sweatshirt over his head and tossing it over her shoulder.

He murmured his approval as he lifted her sweater over her head and tossed it to the ground. He planted open-mouthed kisses along her bust. She laughed in response as she disentangled herself from the garment, tossing it on the couch.

“Oh, Clark…Oh, God….” She moaned as he buried his face into the valley between her breasts.

He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her more securely against him. He felt her back arch against his touch as she fisted his hair. “Clark!” She yelled when he scooped her up in his arms, carrying her towards the bedroom.

“Need more…room…” He rasped out as he walked determined towards the bedroom with her wrapped securely against him.

The phone from the kitchen rang, causing him to stop dead in his tracks. “You have got to be kidding me…” Lois began, staring angrily at the phone.

“It could be the hospital…” Clark winced inwardly, cursing under his breath as he approached the blaring intrusion into his and his wife’s love life. He changed direction, carrying her towards the kitchen. He set her down on the counter, then turned around to reach for the phone, “Hello?”

“Clark?” Ellen Lane’s voice echoed from the other end of the phone.

“Oh, hi, Ellen…” He held in a gasp as Lois wrapped her arms around him from behind, pressing her chest against his back.

“I’m glad I caught you. I hope I’m not keeping you up. I just couldn’t sleep after…hearing what had happened to Mike. I know we haven’t exactly been on speaking terms….” He held in a moan as his wife’s lips grazed against his neck. “….I can’t believe they let that awful man out. Poor Mike. He tries to stay strong ……”

‘Oh, God, she’s killing me.’

“Clark? Are you listening to me?” Ellen’s voice intruded on his reverie.

“Mmmm hmmm,” He suppressed a groan as her hand slipped below his waistband. “I’m just really…ti…tired…El...Ellen. It’s been a stre..stressful day. I’m really beat.” He managed to squeak out. ‘Yeah right.’ He heard a resounding flop from behind him as warm fabric hit the ground, brushing against his lower calves. He bit his lower lip.

“Loiss…” He hissed in a hushed whisper. “Stop..”

She placed a kiss along his collarbone, pushing his jeans down further, “You don’t mean that.”

“Clark? Are you listening to me???”

He let out a shuddered breath. “I…I..I’m here. Sorry. Yeah, I…I…I really…ahem…really got to go. I’m sorry about what happened to your brother. We..We’ll call you tomorrow.” He quickly slammed the phone down then turned to face his minx of a wife who had been torturing him.

“Finally…” Lois purred wrapping her arms around his neck.

“That was not funny.” He murmured against her lips.

“Depends on how you look at the term, ‘not funny.’” She laughed, “I found it hysterical.”

“Not funny.” He repeated. as he lifted her up into his arms. She laughed as he raced them upstairs to finish what they’d started.

“I paid good money for this globe and it doesn’t even turn on? What seems to be the problem?” Nigel asked angrily.

“I don’t know.” Mrs. Cox said airily. “Maybe it just doesn’t like you? Or maybe the kid broke it?”

“Find him.”

“So, you say, Superman flew Lois Lane into the newsroom?” Dianna asked.

Jimmy beamed up at the camera that was aimed at him. “Yeah, I got the pictures, but they didn’t turn out that great because they were moving so fast. It was pretty cool. It was the first time I’d ever seen Lois speechless!”

“What is Lois Lane’s relationship with Superman now?” Dianna asked.

Jimmy shrugged. “I don’t know. I never really thought about that. I mean, I guess they’re friends.”

“And Clark Kent?” Dianna asked.

“What about him?”

“What’s his relationship with Superman?”

“Friends I guess,” Jimmy said. He was beginning to get a bit uncomfortable with Dianna’s line of questioning, but he’d agreed to the interview.

“Let’s discuss the bombing of the Planet a few months ago. Why do you think Superman didn’t show up?”

Jimmy nervously toyed with the strand of thread that had come undone on his shirt. He hated it when people asked about the Planet bombing. He had to relive his humiliation of that day all over again.

“Mr. Olsen?”

Jimmy looked up at the camera and gave his best smile before he spoke. This was not going to be easy.

“I really don’t understand why you insist on hiding. Superman has to pay for abandoning you and your son.” Linda said, taking a sip of her coffee.

“I just don’t want my little boy subjected to….”

“Please, Leigh-Anne, all we’re doing is trying to help you. You were wronged. You are an example of every other single mother out there that has been abandoned and not given a second thought by the father. Do you see Superman struggling with anything right now?”

“Well…”

“No! He’s too busy flitting around from one place to another; showing the world how great and superior he is to everyone else…” She stopped when she noticed the expression on Leigh-Anne’s face. “I’m sorry. That was….”

“Ms. King, he’s only ‘flitting around’ as you call it to rescue people. I don’t understand how you think he’s trying to prove his superiority in doing so.”

“I just…I have my opinions.” Linda said, trying desperately to change the subject.

“Fine, but you need to understand something. I don’t want anyone trashing Superman’s name like that. After all, he did save my life and I ….”

“Is that how you met him?”

“Uh…yeah.” Leigh-Anne said, forcing a smile.

“See, this is the type of stuff people are interested in. Your relationship, your son, you. They want to get to know the real Leigh-Anne behind the tabloids. You have a real chance of doing that if you come back to Metropolis with me.”

“Okay, I’ll come back to Metropolis with you.”

“Great. We leave tonight.” Linda said with a smile.

“Tonight?” Leigh-Anne looked up at Linda worried.

“Yes, you have an exclusive interview with Top Copy at nine. Don’t worry, Leigh-Anne, I’ll be there every step of the way.”

“This Leigh-Anne person isn’t even on the list of staff at the hospital,” Clark said, looking through the files in front of him at super speed.

“Are you sure? Maybe she changed her name.” Lois suggested half-heartedly.

“Lois, Clark, I’d like you to meet someone,” Perry said from behind them. Lois and Clark turned to face their boss. “This is James Turner. He’s a partner of Bill’s and he’ll be working with us, trying to get a hang of things. He’s a, uh, journalism major.” Lois and Clark had learned long ago to keep a smile pasted on their faces when Perry discussed Bill Church or any family members or associates.

“That’s great. Nice to meet you, James.” Lois said, forcing an even broader smile that was sure to split her face in half if she let it.

“It’s great to finally meet you both. I’ve heard and read so much about you.” James said. Lois felt a chill go down her spine when he smiled at her. She instinctually placed a hand over her abdomen.

“So, James, are you from Metropolis?” Clark asked. She was grateful Clark had picked up on how uncomfortable she was under James’ gaze.

“No, I was born and raised overseas.”

“Jamie here was born and raised in Scotland.” Perry patted him on the back.

Clark raised his eyebrows, “Scotland?” He asked skeptically.

“Yeah, peculiar thing. I have no idea where my accent is.” James said with a laugh.

“Ah,” Clark said. Lois watched in amusement as Clark allowed the forced smile on his face to disappear for a moment, sending a silent message to Perry. Perry seemed to get the message quickly and steered James away from them.

“Is it just me or is that guy creepy as hell?” Lois asked in an inaudible whisper only Clark could hear.

Clark took her hand and kissed her palm. “Something’s definitely off about the guy.”

“Hey, guys, guess what?” Jimmy bounded up to them excited.

Lois smiled up at their young friend, “What is it, Jimmy?”

“The Metro Club is reopening under Toni Taylor!” Jimmy showed them the flyer he’d found.

“What??” Lois and Clark asked in unison.

“A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mrs. Church, I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s passing,” Nigel said solemnly.

Mindy Church pulled out a cigar and lit it, taking a puff on it. “How did you find me?”

“I have my sources,” Nigel said with a smile.

“So, it would seem,” Mindy said, straightening her skin-tight dress as she paced around the office. “My Billy promised he’d give me everything. I haven’t heard a word from anyone since he left a few months ago. Nobody called me to tell me he had died or anything. I had to read it in the paper. Do you have any idea how upsetting that is?” She asked angrily.

“Yes, I know it must be very traumatizing for you, Mrs. Church, but this is your chance to claim everything that is yours. The businesses Mr. Church ran are being run by his son, Bill Church Jr.”

“Oh, really? And why would I want to run those businesses?”

“Power. People at your beck and will. Respect. The whole package.”

“But I don’t know how to run a business.” She said quietly, running a seductive hand up and down Nigel’s chest.

“Well, then you’ll need a partner to teach you, won’t you?” Nigel mused. Mindy raised a glass as a sign of a toast and he clinked his glass against hers. “Partners?”

“Partners.” She said with a smile.

“Whoa! What in the Sam Hill is going on here?” Perry asked, motioning to the files surrounding Lois, Clark, and Jimmy.

“We’re reopening the Metro Club story and trying to piece some of this stuff together,” Jimmy said.

“Metro Club?” Perry asked.

Clark handed him the flyer Jimmy had shown them before. “What in the Sam Hill? Wasn’t she injured in the fire?”

“The Metro Club was involved in a lot of illegal activities. If Toni Taylor is trying to resurrect the club she’s going to resurrect everything else that was going on at the club too.” Lois said. “We just need to figure out what that something is or was.”

“And what happened to that story on the opening of the new wing of S.T.A.R. Labs?” Perry asked.

“Perry, that story is as good as written and…”

“We’re still on it, Chief.” Clark interrupted.

Perry looked between the three of them then turned back to his office, shaking his head. Lois glared at Jimmy, “’We’re reopening the Metro Club story?’ Really? Is that the best you can do?”

“On short notice, yes.” Jimmy hissed back.

“Okay, both of you cut it out.” Clark interrupted. “What do you have on Bill Church’s will?”

“We’re getting a copy couriered over to us later this afternoon,” Jimmy said. “You think this James Turner is really a partner of Bill Church’s?”

“I don’t know. I do know he gives me the creeps. We need to figure out what he’s up to and why he’s here.” Lois answered.

Leigh-Anne stepped into her newly furnished apartment and smiled to herself as she looked around. This was definitely a better way of living. “Look, Jesse, a brand new TV.” She switched the television on, showing him the large screen.

He just stared complacently back at her.

“Don’t worry, you’ll enjoy it when you’re older.” She whispered.

He smiled up at her, clapping his hands as he floated out of her arms. “Jesse! Jesse, get back here!” She yelled.

Jesse just laughed happily as he clapped his hands in the air, watching his mother reach for him. “Jesse!”

Linda stepped into the apartment with Mike Rogers and smiled at the scene. She motioned for her photographer to take a picture. “We’ve got gold,” Mike said with a smile.

Leigh-Anne threw an annoyed look at Mike and he just shrugged.

“I don’t know how much more of this I can take,” Lois whispered hoarsely, laying against Clark’s chest wrapped in a sheet on their bed. “I feel like we keep getting the run around everywhere we go…”

“I know,” Clark sighed, placing a kiss on her shoulder. “We’re gonna find him.” He promised. “We’ll figure this out…”

“What if we don’t?” Lois cried.

“Lois..” Clark cupped her cheek, turning her to look at him.

“I’m serious. With all the kids that are kidnapped every day all around the world what makes us think we’ll be able to find him? It’s been over six months…”

“I know,” Clark said, hanging his head in remorse. “I should have listened to you then…but I’m listening now and I promise you we will find him.”

“What if we don’t?” Lois asked again. “My heart can’t take this…”

He rested his forehead against hers, holding her close. “We will find him…and we will prosecute his kidnapper to the fullest extent of the law.” He placed a kiss on her cheek, “….and watch him grow up…” he gave her a kiss on her shoulder, “…with his brothers and sisters…”

She laughed, “Oh really?”

“Yes, really,” He held her close. “He’ll need someone to play with…” he kissed her cheek again.

“When exactly did you want ….Oh, um…right there…” she whispered as his lips brushed against her earlobe.

“Whenever you want…” he whispered, holding her close. “….but I promise we will find Jordan….even if it takes a lifetime….I will find him….and bring him home to you.”

She sighed, resting her head against his chest. “I feel cheated,” she said. “I never got to see him…or hear him…”

“I know.”

“I guess it wouldn’t hurt…” she sighed against his lips as he tightened his arms around her, “….to try.”

“Practice makes perfect…” he grinned against her lips.

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube