When Churches Come Crashing Down
Folc4evernaday
Part 11

Jack had lived on the street for roughly one and a half years. After he and his brother, Denny had entered the foster care system at the age of nine and seven they both had witnessed their fair share of crime. Every home promised to be better. Every social worker offered empty promises. They soon learned to rely on one another.

After the last foster home had sheltered them with more abuse and alcoholic caretakers, Jack decided the best thing for himself and Denny was to leave. He packed his and Denny’s things and left in the middle of the night, keeping an eye over his shoulder for that unsuspecting blow to the head that might come if he were caught. Fortunately, for Jack, they weren’t.

They survived on the charity of others; willing and unwilling. His plan to save up enough money for their own place seemed like a pipe dream until he had run into a man named, Gene Newtrich. $50, 000. It seemed easy enough. Break into the home, look for any connection to Superman while making it look like a robbery.

When he’d realized the tenants were otherwise occupied he’d taken longer than usual for his raid on the home. He had been just about to investigate the hollow sound behind the bookcase when a dark figure had descended the staircase, “Where do you think you’re going?”

He fought against the figure, but to no avail. The man had a strong grip on him and was not letting go. He’d screwed up. What was going to happen to Denny? He couldn’t survive on the streets by himself. “Let me go!”

A flood of light filled the room and Jack looked up into the very angry eyes of Clark Kent, “What are you doing here?” He snapped, gesturing to the bag of loot Jack had acquired so far.

“What does it look like?” Jack snapped back sarcastically. He still hadn’t loosened his grip. Clark’s eyes narrowed. For a split second, he thought he was going to hit him.

He found himself thrown to the couch roughly, “It looks like you’re just a kid, but that gives you no right to break into other people’s homes and steal their stuff.”

“The door was open.” Jack snapped back.

Clark crossed his arms over his chest, looking disapprovingly at Jack, “Try again.”

“Clark?” A feminine voice from the stairwell caught Clark’s attention, causing him to look away. Jack took the opportunity and ran for the door.

“Oh, no you don’t!” Clark grabbed him by the collar and threw him down to the couch once more. “You’re not going anywhere.” He picked up the phone nearby, “I’m calling your parents. What’s the number?”

Jack laughed, “Good luck with that.”

“You can either tell us, or you can tell the police,” Lois said angrily as she stepped into the room. She stood next to Clark who kept a steely gaze on him.

“I don’t have a phone,” Jack said.

“Fine.” Lois crossed her arms and cocked an eyebrow at him, “Where do you live? We’ll talk to your parents in person.”

“Nope.” Jack shook his head.

“Oh, you don’t have a place to live either?” Lois asked doubtfully.

“No parents. No phone.” Jack snapped back.

“So, what; you’re in foster care? We’ll talk to your foster parents.” Lois said.

“I don’t live anywhere. I’m responsible for me. Wanna call the cops? Be my guest.” Jack snapped.

Her face softened as well as Clark’s. “What do you mean you don’t live anywhere?” Clark asked. “You’re just a kid.”

“I’m seventeen years old. I’m nobody’s problem.” Jack sighed, “What do you want from me? An apology? Fine; I’m sorry I broke into your place and tried to steal from you, but I got to make a living somehow.”

“By stealing?” Clark asked.

“Pays the bills.” Jack snapped.

Lois and Clark looked at one another for a moment before turning back to him. He wasn’t sure what to expect. Were they going to let him go? They hadn’t called the police yet. Maybe that was a good sign.

Lois grabbed a pen and paper and jotted something down. She then turned and handed him the paper, “Call this man. He’ll get you a job. A real job without having to steal from other people.”

“Thanks,” Jack said cautiously.

“As far as this.” Clark gestured to the pile of loot on the table. “If we catch you trying to do this again you will go to jail. This is your warning.” He pulled out his wallet and handed him a forty dollars. This should help.

“I don’t need your charity.” Jack snapped. His tone softened, “But thanks.”

Lois opened the front door for him to leave. “Don’t let this happen again.”

“I can’t thank you enough.” Amanda smiled at Lana, “First the money you’ve given me; now this job. I don’t know what I would have done without your help.”

“It’s no problem. I know it can’t be easy raising a child on your own.” Lana smiled sweetly down at the sleeping baby, “He’s so cute.”

“Yes, he is. He’s surprisingly such a good baby. I just wish he didn’t cry so much when I hold him.” Amanda sighed. “It’s an adjustment.”

“Well, maybe he’s teething,” Lana suggested.

“Maybe.” Amanda sighed, “Thank you for helping me out. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

After putting everything back in its place at super-speed, Clark reentered the bedroom only to find Lois asleep on the bed. He knelt down to kiss her before turning towards the bathroom to take a very cold shower.

“What is it?” Denny asked, looking at the round globe before them.

“I don’t know.” Jack said, “But hopefully it’ll be worth something.”

Superman. He had come to Metropolis as a hero; uplifted by many and feared by some. He had never met as much fear and resentment as he had in the past few months. Mike Rogers smiled as he looked at the latest report on the S.T.A.R.’s subscriptions. Their readers were growing more and more angry with Superman. Letter after letter came in demanding the government step in and rid Metropolis of this alien. Superman would soon be out of the picture, making room for Intergang.

Ellen Lane stepped out of the yellow checkered cab, carrying a single suitcase. She paid the cab driver then looked up at the apartment complex before her. Her daughters had been avoiding her phone calls for the last few months and it was time she put an end to the lack of communication. After all, how else were they supposed to know what was going on in her life; and vice versa?

She headed up the steps to her youngest daughter’s apartment, determined to fix the problem.

“You couldn’t even do it yourself? You sent…a KID?” Dianna scolded Gene as she paced around her office.

“Yeah, we’re still trying to locate him. I don’t know what he was able to find out.” Gene explained. “Don’t worry, Ms. Stride. I’ve worked with him before. He’s good.”

“What if he got caught?” Dianna asked nervously. “We can’t afford for this to come back on us.”

“He doesn’t know anything about Intergang; or you,” Gene reassured him. “He also knows what would happen if he ran his mouth.”

Dianna drummed her fingers against the wood grain of her desk for a moment, contemplating what to do next. “Any word on the Kryptonite?”

“None of my guys have been able to find the green variation, yet, but we did come across some old files of Bureau 39’s. We’re going through them. Hopefully, they’ll point us in the right direction.”

“Alice, I really don’t understand…” Perry began to argue but was cut off by the expression on his wife’s face. He sighed, realizing she wasn’t going to back down from the issue at hand.

“Perry, you’ve been having nightmare after nightmare about your abduction. Obviously, however, you’ve been dealing with it hasn’t worked. You need to try something different.”

“Mr. and Mrs. White?” a soft feminine voice interrupted them.

Perry looked up to see an older woman in her mid-forties with blonde curly hair. “Yes?” Alice answered.

“I’m Dr. Friskin.” The woman said, extending her hand out to shake theirs. As Alice greeted the woman, Perry could only wonder how he’d gotten talked into seeing a shrink.

James Turner stared at the Metropolis Bridge in anticipation. The last few months he had watched Metropolis change. The change had been for the better. He had been hired to do one thing: get rid of Superman. So far, he had had no such luck. Despite the constant support he had rallied behind him and the berating he often did whenever Superman showed up to a rescue; the man of steel proved to be a worthy adversary.

He checked his watch once more. “4:59pm” One more minute before show time.

Below the Metropolis Bridge four timers blinked as they counted down to the inevitable…

30 seconds…..25 seconds…..

“I know you are not WORKING on a Saturday.” Ellen Lane scolded.

“Mom, I don’t have time for this,” Lucy said angrily. “I have a lot of work to do. I have to prep for court on Monday. What do you want?”

“You used to have time for me.” Ellen sniffed. “You and your sister both. Now, I’m just an afterthought…”

“That’s not true.” Lucy sighed, realizing her mother was in her self-pity mode.

“Isn’t it? You’ve hardly said two words to me after that fiasco with Lex Luthor.” Ellen said bitterly, “And let’s not forget your sister who won’t return anyone’s calls…”

“Mom…”

The sound of a large blast resonated in Clark’s ears. He looked up, zeroing in on the source. Followed by the blast was the flood of cries for help.

“Help Superman!”

“My baby….”

“I can’t get out!”

“Help, I can’t breathe…”

“Please, God, no!!!”

James Turner watched in amusement as he took in the symbolism behind the destruction of the Metropolis Bridge. The bridge that symbolized peace and brotherhood was gone. Maybe now Metropolis would do what was right and rid itself of its alien invader.

“Everything is set, Ms. Taylor.” The nurse handed her the discharge paperwork. “Good luck.”

“Thank you.” Toni Taylor took the paperwork from the nurse and headed for the exit. She’d been hospitalized after a fire had broken out in her club. She’d been bedridden for months as she’d had to undergo surgery after surgery to repair the damage the fire had done. During this time she’d had time to contemplate what she would do to the person responsible. She was ready for revenge.

Lois wrapped herself up in a fleece blanket, glued to the television as she watched the footage of her husband and the hundreds of men and women of public service, fighting to save the many lives that had been put in danger by such a sinister act. It had been seven hours since he’d been called away by the cries for help only he could hear. She ‘d known from the expression on his face that it was bad. She’d never imagined this kind of catastrophe.

Who would do such a thing?

Jack held the wooden box in his hands firmly as he threw on his overcoat jacket. He’d finally gotten word of a buyer for the globe he’d found. Hopefully, he’d get enough money off of it to start making a real life for him and Denny.

Lois awoke to the sound of the shower in the master bath turning off. She looked around the room groggily and was surprised to find herself in her master bedroom. She had remembered falling asleep, watching the coverage on the Metropolis Bridge. She had filed the story hours ago with Perry, but Clark still had yet to return.

“Hey, I thought you were sleeping,” Clark said sinking into the bed next to her.

“I was.” She said, reaching out to caress his cheek, “Are you okay?”

He shook his head. “We got everyone out.” He said simply, pulling her into his arms. He breathed a sigh of relief as he held her close.

“What does that mean?” Lois asked, curiously. She knew she may be pressing the issue, but something about his tone was off and the reporter in her wouldn’t let her leave it alone.

He sighed, letting out a bitter laugh, “It means that everyone got out, but not everyone survived.” He sighed, tightening his arms around her. “A lot of people were hurt. Some didn’t make it.” His voice cracked slightly as he spoke.

“Oh, Clark, I’m sorry.” She gently stroked his chest. Her hand instinctually went to her abdomen where Jordan used to be. Even though she knew he wasn’t there anymore she still had an instinctual reaction to touch her abdomen whenever hearing about the loss or danger to a child. She leaned up to capture his lips. She was surprised by the intensity of his kiss. She moaned in pleasure as he dipped his tongue inside her mouth, exploring the inner confines.

Jack cautiously opened the box and peered at the unfamiliar globe that was inside. He carefully reached out to touch the globe. A bright light appeared and a man in a white robe appeared.

“My name is Jor-El…”

He dropped the globe and stepped back. There was something strange about this globe.

A pair of headlights caught his attention. He closed the box over the globe and stood up. His buyers would have to pay a lot more than they originally anticipated.

The painful cries that had haunted Clark for the last several hours slowly began to dissipate as he continued the exploration of his wife’s body. “I love you so much, Lois…”

“Cla…Clark…please don’t stop…” she moaned.

“I won’t.”

The soft cries of their recent lovemaking echoed in his mind as he held Lois against him. “Wow…” she lazily smiled up at him.

He withdrew from her and held her close. “Definitely.” He whispered.

She smiled up at him and opened her mouth to say something, but he was unable to hear what was being said. His mind was filled with a bright light and the image of his birth father, Jor-El. “I am Jor-El…”

Just as quickly the image disappeared. He shook his head, trying to focus.

“Clark?” Lois’ voice reached his ears. “Are you all right?

“Fine….I think.” He said, shaking his head. “It was really weird. For a moment I felt like I had another of those messages from the globe playing…except it was in my head.”

“What’s your price?” Mrs. Cox asked.

“Five thousand,” Jack said.

“Done.” She waved several hundred dollar bills in front of her.

“You found this?” Nigel challenged.

Jack nodded, “In a dumpster on Third. People throw away strange stuff sometimes.” Jack said casually.

“Indeed,” Nigel said, turning on his heel.

Leigh-Anne sat across from Dan Rox and Dianne Lennon, hosts of Wake Up Metropolis as she nervously toyed with the gold chain necklace around her neck. “H-How many people are watching?”

“Hopefully all of Metropolis,” Dan said with a smile. “Thanks again for doing the show for us. You have no idea how hard it was for our producer to find you…”

Leigh-Anne smiled nervously and muttered under her breath, “That was the point.”

“What was that?” Dianne asked.

“Nothing.” Leigh-Anne smiled. “I really don’t want to do anything to hurt Superman. I just…”

“It’s okay.” Dianne laid a sympathetic hand over hers. “We’re here to help you.” She arched an eyebrow at Dan and in an authoritative tone said, “Aren’t we, Dan?”

“That and our ratings,” Dan muttered under his breath. “Yes, Leigh-Anne, we’re here to help you…and your son. What Superman has done to you is a tragedy.”

“All right, we’re rolling in five….four…three…two…and one.” The director called out.

“Check this out, guys. Superman’s approval rating keeps going down more and more.” Jimmy pointed to the cover story in the Metropolis S.T.A.R. describing a recent poll among readers.

Lois angrily grabbed the paper out of Jimmy’s hands and threw it into the garbage bin, “I thought Perry told you not to bring that rag in the newsroom!” She snapped.

Jimmy looked at Lois warily, “Something…wrong?” He broached cautiously.

“No! Of course not, Jimmy. Why would anything be WRONG???” She angrily glared at the news coverage on the television screen, depicting an image of Leigh-Anne with her son. She closed her eyes, trying to will the lump she felt in her throat to disappear. “Please shut that garbage off.” She snapped vehemently.

Jimmy was used to Lois’ outbursts over the years, but the anger she felt over this woman’s accusations was out of character; even for her. She silently counted to ten as her young friend returned. “You wanna talk about it?”

‘Talk about it?’

What was there to talk about? This woman was refusing any contact from the Planet for interviews while she went on national television bragging about a fake relationship she’d had with HER husband. To top things off, she was flaunting a child she claimed to be Superman’s and neither she nor Clark knew how to prove her wrong. What if he was their son? What if he wasn’t?

“Lois?” Jimmy waved a hand in front of her, trying to bring her back to the present.

“I just really….don’t like seeing Superman portrayed in such a manner.” She harrumphed.

Jimmy nodded, understanding. “Yeah. I know you guys are friends.”

“Yeah.” Lois nodded.

“Where’s CK?” Jimmy asked.

“Police station.” At Jimmy’s questioning look, she pressed on. “Some kid broke into our house last night. We didn’t realize until later that he’d taken something. Clark’s trying to find him.”

“That sucks. Did he take anything valuable.”

“Yeah, something priceless,” Lois said softly.

TBC..

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube