Print Thread
#272324 10/28/16 04:40 PM
P
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Hi all,
I'm new to folc fanfiction and have really been enjoying reading the archives and forums here the last few months. I know authors appreciate feedback, and other readers appreciate reviews, but I don't know the protocol for posting on stories that are years (decades) old and messing up the flow of the fanfic forum with necro'd threads. Most of the emails on the old stories are defunct, so that doesn't help either.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.
Thanks!

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello PuffyTiger,

(What a fun name you chose!) First, welcome to the message board! I think you'll find that the FoLCs here are a warm and friendly group.

I know that I absolutely love receiving feedback for stories I have written, and if I get feedback for an older story, I have the added delight of seeing comments long after I had had any hope of doing so.

My suggestion would first be to use the site's search facility to see if you can find the original feedback thread. There is a trick to using it, though: By default,the site will only show you posts newer than a week; be sure to clear the "newer than" fields (leave them blank) if you are looking for older feedback. You might also want to search through the TOCs rather than the stories themselves, since the former won't return each and every feedback post, but will only show one line per story found.

Another way you might be able to find the feedback thread would be to search on Google for site:lcficmbs.com "story's name"
The site: tag narrow's Google's search to just the MB, and by putting the story's name in quotation marks, you will find only posts that have the name as a phrase (as opposed to having the words possibly spread throughout the post).

If you still can't locate the appropriate feedback thread, it seems to me that it couldn't hurt to start a new one.

I hope this helps. Once again, welcome aboard. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 10/28/16 05:15 PM.
Top Banana
Top Banana
What Lynn said but you may be able to find the FDK thread by searching the TOC forum for the story. If the story had a FDK post/reply it is most likely in the TOC entry for the story. You can Search the TOC forum by clicking the Search option in the menu across the top of the forum page. You then put the story name or words from the story name in the Keyword box. Click Lois and Clark FanFic TOCs selection in the box on the left side of the page. Then blank out the default 1 and Week in the Newer Than option and click the Submit button. Hopefully that will pull up a small number of entries and you can select the one that matches the story you have been reading. Click that Story's TOC and look for Comments or FDK. Generally there will be one for each Part/Chapter but some just have one overall FDK thread. As Lynn said if there is not one, then just start one. If you do, could you let me know so I can add it to the TOC entry.

Thanks and happy reading

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Hi Puffy Tiger!

So glad the archives have yielded a rich treasure trove of wonderful stories about our favorite reporting duo which you enjoy reading!

Don't forget to make comments about stories that are currently on the boards. The writers and readers love to see feedback.

Welcome aboard! hyper

Last edited by Morgana; 10/29/16 09:23 AM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
D
Merriwether
Merriwether
D
Hi Puffy Tiger,

Our index tables have the stories in alphabetical order with links to TOCs which have feedback threads included. That will be simpler than using the search engine. A link to the Fanfic Index is provided at the top of the fanfic forum and nFanfic Index at the top of the nfanfic forum.

Enjoy!
Dawn & the Index Crew

P
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Thanks to everyone for the comments! I'm not having trouble with searching (though it really is a bit awkward to use properly) and have figured out the TOC concept, so I know where the feedback threads are.

I was mostly worried about kicking really ancient feedback threads to the top of the forum where they might swamp out newer works that are actually active. Other forums I've been on hate this practice, and I haven't read anything specific about it here.

Also, is it even worth signing up on zoomway's board anymore? Most of what I've tried to find there, or links going there, seems to be broken. Something to do with a migration and her death? Does anyone maintain it anymore, and is the old stuff still available somewhere?

D
Merriwether
Merriwether
D
Hi Puffy Tiger,

Not sure about your question regarding feedback, though I suspect that isn't a problem.

There are a number of stories on Zoomway's board you won't find here. The index notes broken links and if the story is available else where: http://www.lcficdirectory.com/zoompgindex. There are also other forums besides fanfic that are very active that might be of interest.

Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by PuffyTiger
I was mostly worried about kicking really ancient feedback threads to the top of the forum where they might swamp out newer works that are actually active. Other forums I've been on hate this practice, and I haven't read anything specific about it here.

I don't think it's a problem. Feedback is wonderful, no matter when an author receives it. I think it's great that new readers are still coming back to enjoy the stories that are here and on the archives. New feedback on older stories often prompts me to reread favorites or discover ones that I had missed before.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I, for one, always enjoy feedback, no matter how far from the original posting date. And, as groobie said, it does prompt me to revisit and discover new ones.

You may also want to check fanfiction.net. Some of the older stories from here are on there (mine and AntiKryptonite's come to mind, as well as other). You can drop feedback directly into the story there if you wish, without it "resurrecting" them the way it would on a message board.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
I've gotta agree with groobie and DC here. Feedback is feedback; it doesn't matter when it was posted.
And I always feel a little bit flattered when someone comments on an older story. I got a message about the first story I ever posted on here a few weeks back, and I was so pleased to see that someone had taken the time to go back and read it.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Totally agree! I really enjoy reading people's reactions to stories--what they thought, what they liked, what worked for them. It doesn't matter when the story orignally posted, IMO.

I didn't start posting here or reading fanfic till about 2013--I LOVED the show as it was originally airing, taped every episode, bought the DVD's, but because I didn't have such regular internet availability, had always enjoyed the show just as it was...the show.

I've read a TON of fanfic over the last few years--here and on the Archive, but I know in some ways I've only grazed the surface.

Hearing what you (PuffyTiger) or anyone is currently enjoying, will probably lead me to new authors, and new, different--wonderful--stories smile...

Go for it hyper

Laura

Last edited by LMA; 10/29/16 01:00 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
P
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
P
Great, thanks for the input! I'm not a writer myself, but I love reading and love encouraging those with the gift and the drive.

I've only been reading here for a few months, but it's been a wonderful experience. Thanks to everyone who contributes, and I hope you never get discouraged just because people are shy or lazy. Rather than assume that people don't leave feedback because they think things are bad, just assume that they don't because they are a bit lazy or antisocial. That's definitely the case for me.

Hugs to everyone who likes them!

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've always been very impressed by the talent around here notworthy . But, what makes it even better, is just how welcoming everyone is...

This is a wonderful place to come to relax and escape for a bit--to get lost in the lives of Lois and Clark. And to talk to some really great fans (of a really great show).

Welcome smile
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 10/29/16 03:58 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Features Writer
Features Writer
This is a great idea! I know I learn a lot from reading other folks' comments on stories. And commenting on older stories is a wonderful way to find out about the gems out there.

Thanks Puffy Tiger! And welcome to the boards!

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Welcome Puffy Tiger. Yes, Zoomway's board is still active and
recent. Go Here: http://www.zoomway.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
You'll have to sign in like here. Many authors post to both boards. The difference is that there is sometimes news of Dean and Teri and things beyond fanfiction on that board. There are also
links to even older stories on that board.
Enjoy and feedback is always appreciated.
r/
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard