Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Posting a little early since I have a small Halloween treat in store for this weekend.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
After all, she'd met his parents, had seen his baby photos, had seen the awards he'd won - academic, athletic, and professional alike. She'd even seen him filing his taxes.

Tax filing? It doesn't get any more realistic than that!

[quoteIt was a sobering thought. Of course, Lois knew she would never tell a soul about Clark's dual identities. But the power of the secret she held was humbling and terrifying. It threw Clark's fears into sharp clarity for her. Ashamedly, she knew that, in the early days of their relationship, when Clark was an unwanted partner and Superman had been both a fantasy and her ticket to the Pulitzer, she wouldn't have been able to keep the secret. It would have been Page One news, that the mysterious new superhero was nothing more than a farm-raised country bumpkin. There was no doubt in her mind that she would have drowned in the awards that story would have netted her. But now she realized just how devastating the consequences would have been to the best man she'd ever known.][/quote]

As was once written in a fantastic story called The Passing of a Legend:
Clark shook his head slightly. “It’s not that I didn’t want you to know, Chief. And it’s not that I didn’t trust you. It’s just…a dangerous secret to know, that’s all. I don’t tell the people that I love about myself as a way of trying to protect them.”

That is still the best reason as to why Clark didn't say anything to Lois. The secret of Superman's real identity is a tremendous load and only the strongest could bear it.

Last edited by Morgana; 10/30/16 05:16 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hey, Morgana!

Yeah, taxes are sort of a good trial for Clark's humanity, huh? I always thought it was a neat little detail in Fly Hard, that he's filing his taxes. Solidifies him as Clark being the dominant personality in a way, and gives us a neat reference point for where we are in the calendar year. Although, Clark's such an overachiever, it's probably way before the due date!

Thanks for the plug on Passing. I'm still very happy with the way that one turned out, and I'm glad that you liked it.

I've always thought that Clark was protecting himself just as much as he was protecting Lois/his loved ones by not divulging his secret.

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi there! smile1
It was one of the worst nights of Lois' life. It might have taken the prize for the worst, if she hadn't already lived through a night where she thought Clark had been murdered right before her waking eyes.
/starts slowly counting backwards until Lois realizes that Clark *faked* being dead and that she’d grieved for nothing/
CLARK: help Maybe I get lucky and die during the night.

The worst of them featured Clark's death.
Looky there, no dream about finding Clark and Mayson in bed together.
LOIS: Can’t you *read*? The writer *said* that the worst ones features Clark’s death. What do you think happened after I found them in bed together, hmm?

In others, she frantically looked for a cure, but she was never sure what exactly it was that she was looking for
Looks like a freakzoid emerald with a lightbulb stuck inside.

some treatment option that provided him some measure of comfort while his body fought off the infection.
You mean, like Jamie Lee Curtis helped Dan Aykroyd in Trading Placing when he was sick with the flu? In order to ‘protect her investment’.

and no one was silent about their disbelief that he could have chosen Lois - someone so beneath him, so unintelligent and blind as to be completely unworthy of him.
SUPERMAN: /makes coke-bottle-shape gesture well known in advertisement/

When she finally abandoned her bed only a few short hours later, she was more exhausted than when she'd gone to bed.
That can happen when she spends the night in bed, occupied with Clark.

all before calling Perry to get both Clark and herself out of work for the day.
PERRY: I see, Lois. So, just to get this straight, you and Kent won’t be able to come into the office today after you popped the question last night? Uh-huh. I see. And how long will you to be ‘indisposed’?

This wasn't some embarrassing secret.
To be fair, he’s running around in tights and red underwear. Would *you* want to be known to be doing stuff like that?

"I just wish I'd known. I wish you'd told me or I'd been smart enough to see it for myself. How could I have missed it?"
He’s just that good a liar. Like her father.
CLARK: help Thanks. Thanks, a lot.

It would have been Page One news, that the mysterious new superhero was nothing more than a farm-raised country bumpkin.
On the plus side, he’d have been laughed out of town before he could build a reputation. A one stroke wonder and nobody would have cared about him after that.

It was decidedly worse than the previous night. "I know," she repeated. "And you will. Soon."
I just realized, they’ve managed to keep it quiet for at least 8 hours now. I’m impressed.

"Oh," Lois said, blushing. She felt just awful for being suspicious of Mayson yet again.

"You still don't fully trust me," Mayson observed neutrally.
To be fair, she’s a blond with a history with Lois’s boyancé.

"Mayson has always been a voice of dissent when it comes to Superman. It would be too suspicious if she suddenly became his champion. People would question it."
Nah, they’d just assume he’s sleeping with her.

Mayson thought it best to take her leave then, so as not to disturb his rest, but Lois stayed on in a silent, thoughtful vigil.
[Linked Image]

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi, Michael!

/starts slowly counting backwards until Lois realizes that Clark *faked* being dead and that she’d grieved for nothing/
CLARK: Maybe I get lucky and die during the night.

Dr. K: I have some Kryptonite, if you need it.

Looky there, no dream about finding Clark and Mayson in bed together.
LOIS: Can’t you *read*? The writer *said* that the worst ones features Clark’s death. What do you think happened after I found them in bed together, hmm?

Clark: help

Clark: devil dance angel-devil

PERRY: I see, Lois. So, just to get this straight, you and Kent won’t be able to come into the office today after you popped the question last night? Uh-huh. I see. And how long will you to be ‘indisposed’?

Jimmy: Okay, betting is now open for how long it will be before Lois or Clark Jr joins the team. Anyone?

To be fair, he’s running around in tights and red underwear. Would *you* want to be known to be doing stuff like that?

Bruce Banner: Could be worse, you know...

He’s just that good a liar. Like her father.
CLARK: Thanks. Thanks, a lot.

Sam: Hey! Cheap shot!
Ellen: *mutters under breath* Totally deserved it.

On the plus side, he’d have been laughed out of town before he could build a reputation. A one stroke wonder and nobody would have cared about him after that.

Something tells me he would have gained a rep anyway.

I just realized, they’ve managed to keep it quiet for at least 8 hours now. I’m impressed.

Lois: I threatened everyone involved in his care. No one finds out he's here so I can kill him in peace.

Nah, they’d just assume he’s sleeping with her.

Cat: So *that's* all I had to do to get the public to assume that?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Vicki!
Dr. K: I have some Kryptonite, if you need it.
He’s always so helpful, isn’t he?

Clark: /doesn’t like the odds of Lois asking him again anytime soon/
They probably have a lot to talk about…

Clark: /marriage and making love don’t have to go hand in hand if the author is willing/
evil

Jimmy: Okay, betting is now open for how long it will be before Lois or Clark Jr joins the team. Anyone?
Does a stroller count, too.

Bruce Banner: Could be worse, you know...
laugh Although, can you imagine if Clark smacked Lex around like the Hulk did Loki?
SUPERMAN: Puny billionaire crook.
LOIS: [Linked Image] Can you do Claude next?

Something tells me he would have gained a rep anyway.
You think?
CAT: He still looks good. Could score with the ladies even as a country hick. We don’t need brains.

Lois: I threatened everyone involved in his care. No one finds out he's here so I can kill him in peace.
clap
CLARK: help
Dr. KLEIN: I don’t know what happened. He was getting better until last night. He was even able to get up and walk around with that nice Ms. Drake.

Cat: So *that's* all I had to do to get the public to assume that?
Yep. Why does she think everyone thinks Clark and Lois slept together that first night at the warehouse?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
Kerth
It's good that Lois has reflected on her feelings, coming to an understanding of why Clark kept his secret for so long. Still, if she loved him enough to propose to him, it seems like she should be more forgiving, more willing to let go of any anger towards him that she felt upon learning the news. I do understand her lingering jealousy and suspicion of Mayson - it's harder to get past that. This is a nasty virus Clark has picked up - I can imagine how helpless a nearly invulnerable superhero would feel at being waylaid like this.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
He’s always so helpful, isn’t he?

Dr. K: I do try. *Tries to hide the Lex Labs Logo on his clipboard*

Does a stroller count, too.

rotflol

Although, can you imagine if Clark smacked Lex around like the Hulk did Loki?
SUPERMAN: Puny billionaire crook.
LOIS: Can you do Claude next?

Clark: Clark mad. Clark smash!
Claude: *enters Witness Protection Program*
Clark: *eyes Scardino next*

CLARK: help
Dr. KLEIN: I don’t know what happened. He was getting better until last night. He was even able to get up and walk around with that nice Ms. Drake.

clap

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
It's good that Lois has reflected on her feelings, coming to an understanding of why Clark kept his secret for so long. Still, if she loved him enough to propose to him, it seems like she should be more forgiving, more willing to let go of any anger towards him that she felt upon learning the news. I do understand her lingering jealousy and suspicion of Mayson - it's harder to get past that. This is a nasty virus Clark has picked up - I can imagine how helpless a nearly invulnerable superhero would feel at being waylaid like this.

She *may* be more forgiving, but right now, too much is happening too fast. Clark ran out on her proposal. He's near death. Her former rival knew about Superman before her. Her head is spinning and her emotions are on a rollercoaster.

She's definitely still a little suspicious of Mayson, even though she *knows* she doesn't need to be. A big portion of that is rooted in the fact that she and Clark have shared this secret for a good six months while she remained in the dark. It's not easy to overlook that fact.

Clark is definitely going crazy to be laid up!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I agree with Michael, those must be some horrible nightmares. It doesn't help that Mayson KEEPS stopping by whenever Lois is trying to be with her man in tights. I'm glad that Lois worked things out in her head why Clark kept his secret... well, under tights. peep Even if Martha said that he didn't want to lose her by hearing the truth. Knowing that Mayson knew for 6 months while Lois and Clark DATED is a hard thing to forgive. It doesn't say much about Clark trusting Lois.

That conversation with the Kents must have been difficult. I wouldn't want to ever be in those shoes. I feel for M&J. Unable to visit their only son while he's so sick. frown

I hope Clark's cured soon. Luckily, I have another part to read before sneaking off to bed tonight. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
I agree with Michael, those must be some horrible nightmares. It doesn't help that Mayson KEEPS stopping by whenever Lois is trying to be with her man in tights. I'm glad that Lois worked things out in her head why Clark kept his secret... well, under tights. peep Even if Martha said that he didn't want to lose her by hearing the truth. Knowing that Mayson knew for 6 months while Lois and Clark DATED is a hard thing to forgive. It doesn't say much about Clark trusting Lois.

That conversation with the Kents must have been difficult. I wouldn't want to ever be in those shoes. I feel for M&J. Unable to visit their only son while he's so sick. frown

I hope Clark's cured soon. Luckily, I have another part to read before sneaking off to bed tonight. wink

Hi, Virginia!

Mayson's really being "helpful" isn't she? She doesn't even realize she's being a "buttinsky."

Martha is definitely trying to do some damage control, which remaining truthful. And I'm sure her heart is hurting for Lois. How much do you want to bet she had this exact conversation/warning when Clark told them Mayson had found out?

I do think it says more about Clark's faith in himself more than his trust in Lois. Of course, Lois won't necessarily see it that way.

Calling the Kents would have been awful. And the Kents being sidelined is torture.

Hope you enjoy the next part!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've been off the boards for eons it feels like jump. That whole RL thing...

When I got on I happened to see that this whole story has been posted--wow, show's how behind I am shock. But, lucky me, the fun of catching up begins smile.

Personally, I think it would be really hard for Lois to move past her jealousy towards Mayson. Knowing that this other woman had genuine feelings towards the man you love is a weighted knowledge. Add into the fact that Mayson knew information about Clark that literally only Clark's parents knew about him. And then (possibly the biggest glitch) Lois having some general confidence issues and trust issues that span back not only to other previous relationships, but also with people she loves (her parents). All that, plus the fact that Mayson's been around quite a bit as of late--during a really intense time for Lois and Clark. Whether the jealousy is realistic or not (which we know its not) wouldn't matter, IMO. Lois needs time to adjust to everything.

I'm so glad that Martha and Jonathan know. And you handled that phone conversation really well, btw notworthy. My heart hurt for Clark's parents, but I did also really enjoy that clearing of air between Lois and the Kents. They reaffirmed how much Clark loves her and deep down wanted her to know, and she gave them that little bit of hope in such a horrible situation: that she feels the same way about their son regardless of his news.

Can't wait to get a bit more time to read on. Loving this! hail
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 11/21/16 04:14 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LMA
I've been off the boards for eons it feels like jump. That whole RL thing...

When I got on I happened to see that this whole story has been posted--wow, show's how behind I am shock. But, lucky me, the fun of catching up begins smile.

Personally, I think it would be really hard for Lois to move past her jealousy towards Mayson. Knowing that this other woman had genuine feelings towards the man you love is a weighted knowledge. Add into the fact that Mayson knew information about Clark that literally only Clark's parents knew about him. And then (possibly the biggest glitch) Lois having some general confidence issues and trust issues that span back not only to other previous relationships, but also with people she loves (her parents). All that, plus the fact that Mayson's been around quite a bit as of late--during a really intense time for Lois and Clark. Whether the jealousy is realistic or not (which we know its not) wouldn't matter, IMO. Lois needs time to adjust to everything.

I'm so glad that Martha and Jonathan know. And you handled that phone conversation really well, btw notworthy. My heart hurt for Clark's parents, but I did also really enjoy that clearing of air between Lois and the Kents. They reaffirmed how much Clark loves her and deep down wanted her to know, and she gave them that little bit of hope in such a horrible situation: that she feels the same way about their son regardless of his news.

Can't wait to get a bit more time to read on. Loving this! hail
Laura

Hi there!

RL has been a bear here too. It's amazing how many things creep up, especially around the holidays!

I think, under normal circumstances, Lois might be less willing to move on from that jealousy. But there's so much uncertainty and fear in the situation that I think she needs whatever potential lifeline she can grab on to. And Mayson hasn't been around all that much, in my mind. I think it would be hard for Mayson to spend *too* much time with a man she knows she has less than a snowball's chance in hell with. And who flies around in tights doing the vigilante justice, which she still isn't totally okay with, even if she understands the need for it.

I'm glad you liked the phone conversation. It's always interesting to write dialogue where one or more people can't be seen to describe how they look, what they are doing, etc.

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard