Disclaimer: All recognisable characters etc. are property of DC Comics, Warner Bros. and December 3rd Productions. I'm just having some fun

Author's note: Set at the end of 'Whine Whine Whine', after Lois turns up at Clark's apartment.

Is there such a thing as the right time to tell the person you love most in the world that you’ve been keeping something from them? Something momentous? Something life-changing?

I’m not sure, but I need to do it anyway.

I need to tell Lois the truth.

The last few weeks have been tumultuous.

The sickening knowledge that I'd injured a human being. The stress and uncertainty of the trial. The heartbreak of Lois's note at the cafe. Heartbreak that was compounded by seeing her go upstairs with Scardino.

I thought for sure that that was it; that everything between Lois and I was at an end. That there was nothing left for me here. Nothing left for me anywhere.

And then she turned up on my doorstep. Saying that she’d broken things off with Scardino. Kissing me.

I've been telling myself that I would let Lois in on the secret when I knew for sure if she wanted Clark Kent. That I had to know that I was cared for because of who I am, and not because of what I can do.

But when the time came I didn’t do it.

I couldn’t do it.

We’ve never kissed like that before. I thought that our first kiss was electrifying, but it pales in comparison to the kisses we shared tonight. Those moments were pure joy. I wanted to savour them, not destroy them by admitting to Lois that I am not what she believes me to be. Lying here in bed, it’s only now that the doubts creep in.

I’ve only delayed the inevitable. And it is inevitable; it’s been so ever since Lois Lane barged into my job interview and into my heart.
Having delayed so long, have I made it so that losing her is also inevitable? Lois doesn’t trust easily; having gained her trust, I now have to destroy it.

What else will I destroy in the process?

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg