Winner Takes All
Folc4evernaday
Part 37

Notes: Hope everyone has been enjoying the story. I finally finished editing the conclusion to Winner Takes All, When Churches Come Crashing Down so here is the rest of WTA.

WARNING: NOTHING is as it seems..

One Month Later…

“Lois?” Clark called looking through the townhome for his wife. “Honey?” He used his x-ray vision to look for her and sighed when he found her. At super-speed, he was by her side. “Lois?”

Lois looked up at him with a smile. “How’d it go?”

“Your usual.” He nodded, taking a seat next to her. “You can’t keep doing this to yourself, honey.”

“I’m not ready to let go,” Lois whispered.

Clark nodded. “I know.” He pulled her into his arms. “It’ll be okay.” He leaned down to kiss her. “Come on, we’re going to be late,” Clark said, tugging her up from the rocking chair.

“I’m moving. I’m moving.” Lois complained. “Any idea what this is all about?”

“Perry said he had some news for us.” Clark shrugged.

“I just need to get changed then we can leave,” Lois said. Clark watched as she walked out of the room. He looked down at the book she’d been looking at. Her book of clippings from their partnership at the Planet. He missed it just as much as she did. They’d been doing contract work off and on for different newspapers, but nothing was the same as working at the Planet. They’d had plenty of offers, but neither of them had wanted to do take any of them.

Lois looked up at the tall structure that once was the mystical Daily Planet. “I wish they’d just tear this place down. There're too many memories here…”

“Most of them good,” Clark said.

“You two need to get rid of those long faces.” Perry drawled, approaching them from behind.

“Hi, Perry.” Lois moved to hug him.

“How are you doing?” Perry asked cautiously.

“We’re good.” Lois nodded, looking cautiously at Clark.

“That’s good. I got some news for you; I wanted to tell you in person. This seemed like the best place to tell you.” He motioned towards the Planet’s structure. “So many things started here.”

Lois smiled at Clark, bumping his hip lightly. “A lot of memories.” She agreed.

“Well, I have several bits of news.” Perry pulled out three envelopes. “The Meriwether committee met last week and you two were a shoe-in. The chairman said he hadn’t seen that kind of writing in years. The banquet is tomorrow night. Dress to impress.”

“We won?” Lois asked mutely. “I’d forgotten all about it…”

“I know…” Perry patted her shoulder. “My other piece of news is this. You two have been getting nominated for award, after award lately. The piece you two did on Roarke and Harrington?” Perry prompted. “It’s been nominated for the Kerth. I want you two to seriously think about some of these offers that you have on the table right now. You may not get a second chance…”

Lois shook her head. “Nothing will be the Planet. That was my dream.”

Perry sighed. “I know. I know. I hate it that Luthor got his way in this one thing.”

A voice behind him bellowed, “He didn’t!”

Perry, Lois, and Clark turned to see a large truck and crane carrying the globe of the Daily Planet. Franklin Stern sat in the driver's seat of the truck. “Look!”

“Great shades of Elvis!” Perry shouted, approaching Franklin Stern with a grin on his face.

“We’ll start on the building next week, but first I thought we’d announce to the world we’re back in business. I reconsidered your proposal. I agree with you, Mr. White. Metropolis needs the Daily Planet. Besides one more nail in Lex Luthor’s coffin will suit me just fine.” Stern stepped out of the truck and Perry shook his hand eagerly.

“You won’t regret this, Mr. Stern.” Perry smiled broadly.

“There were some ideas I had about modernization.” Mr. Stern added.

“Modernization?” Perry asked wearily.

“Yes, improvements, expansions…Would you like to see the plans?” Mr. Stern pulled out the blueprints from his truck.

“Now, Mr. Stern! Wait, just a doggone minute here…” Perry followed Mr. Stern as he rolled out the plans.

Lois and Clark watched in amusement. Lois wiped a few tears out of her eyes. “All is right in the world.” She said looking up at the globe that stood where it once had for so many years.

Clark nodded, looking at Lois, “I’ve never seen anything more beautiful in my life.”

Lois smiled, turning to face Clark, “You are amazing you know that?”

“How so?” He asked.

Lois linked her arms around his neck, leaning in for a kiss, “Well, a little over a year ago I was a stubborn workaholic that never would have thought twice about not having a family…Now here we are.” She whispered against his lips.

Clark noticed the sadness in her eyes. “We’re going to be okay, sweetheart.”

Lois looked up at him with a watery smile. “I know. It’s just. I can’t let go. I can’t let go of Jordan. I keep on having these dreams that he’s out there somewhere crying for me…” Clark wrapped his arms securely around her.

“I know.” He reassured her. “It’s hard, but we’ll get through this.” He leaned down to capture her lips, cupping her cheek as he deepened the kiss. “We’ll get through this together just like we’ve gotten through everything else.”

Perry cleared his throat as he approached. “I almost forgot in all the excitement. Lois, this came for you from the Kerth Committee.” Perry handed her an envelope.

“What is it?” Lois asked, taking the envelope curiously.

Perry just smiled. “Read it and find out.”

Lois opened the letter and read. “Dear, Ms. Lane, It has come to our attention that a wrong has been done against you. The story that was run under the by-line of Claude Cluny was, in fact, your story. It is with our deepest apology that we offer you a chance to right this wrong and invite you to our Kerth ceremony this next season to claim what is rightfully yours. Good luck and thank you. The Kerth Committee.”

Lois looked up from the letter, glancing between the two men that had made this possible. Perry stood in front of her with a broad smile. She gave him a peck on the cheek and a hug, “Thank you.” Before Clark even had a chance to react, she wrapped her arms securely around him, pulling him in for a passionate kiss. “Both of you.” She whispered.

Nigel puffed his cigar as he watched the news of Lex Luthor’s death once more on the television. It seemed to be the only thing anyone wanted to discuss anymore. “Do you think they’d be making such a fuss if they knew Lex Luthor wasn’t the Boss?” Nigel asked.

Bill Church laughed. “All this time he never knew….”

“No, he was just a pawn. I made him think he was in control.” Nigel laughed. “Now we can discuss merging Intergang with my organization.”

“I don’t think so..” Bill Church said, coughing slightly.

“Something wrong?” Nigel asked amused.

“I …(..cough..) I…I ..(cough...cough) I can’t breathe.”

“It might have something to do with the drug I slipped into your scotch….Tsk. Tsk Tsk. A man with a heart condition shouldn’t drink, Bill.” Nigel scolded.

“You…can’t…”

“Your throat is swelling up. Your heart is hammering like a stallion. Soon you will have a heart attack and you will die; then I will push your son out of the way and I will run Metropolis the way it’s supposed to be run.” Nigel smiled. “Have a nice death,” Nigel whispered before turning to leave. Bill Church fell to the floor in pain.

On the outskirts of town, a small baby cried. A young woman watched as she rocked the baby to sleep. The baby she’d always wanted was here. “Hush little baby don’t say a word. Mama’s gonna buy you a mockingbird; and if that mockingbird don't sing. Mama’s gonna buy you a diamond ring; and if that diamond ring turns brass. Mama’s gonna buy you a looking glass; and if that looking glass gets broke. Mama’s gonna buy you a billy goat; and if that billy goat won’t pull. Mama’s gonna buy you a cart and bull; and if that cart and bull turn over. Mama’s gonna buy you a dog named Rover; and if that dog named Rover won’t bark. Mama’s gonna buy you a horse and cart; and if that horse and cart fall down. You’ll still be the sweetest baby in town.”

The End

To Be Continued in When Churches Come Crashing Down

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube