Winner Takes All
Folc4evernaday (folc4evernaday@gmail.com)
Rated: PG-13
Part 32

He had no father. He had searched high and low. His home was destroyed. His doctor was missing. Everything he had known had vanished before him. His father had told him of his hated enemies; now he knew the true extent of which they would go to destroy his father. They would pay.

Superman’s eyebrows furrowed in anger. His father’s enemy, Superman would pay dearly for this.

Something was wrong. Clark lay in bed, holding Lois close to him, listening intently to the sound of her and the baby’s heartbeat. He had appeared at the scene of the fire at LexCorp. The entire building had been destroyed and no one knew the whereabouts of Lex Luthor. The idea that his enemy was out there lurking without a clue as to where he was was unnerving.

He tightened his arms around Lois. He couldn’t seem to shake the eerie feeling that had fallen over him this morning.

This husband of Lois Lane’s seemed harmless. Superman watched from a distance as he paced around Lois’ apartment. He was looking around; searching for something. He seemed harmless, but he was friends with this Superman and another enemy of his father’s. He couldn’t afford to underestimate him. He would destroy him and take what Superman cared most about: Lois Lane.

Dr. Klein stared at the numerous booklets of notes before him. He had known Dr. Leek was up to no good, but this was unimaginable. He had successfully created a clone—a clone of Superman at that. This ‘boss’ had paid for the research and development of this clone. Who was this boss? He’d seen Dr. Leek being interviewed by those reporters, Lois Lane and Clark Kent. He had followed Dr. Leek after they had left and found him sneaking into the back of LexCorp towers. A few hours later a fire had been set. What did this mean?

He never was very good at investigating. His forte had always been science. Before Superman had arrived in Metropolis he had a scientific explanation for everything. Now, he wasn’t so sure. Those reporters seemed to be friends with the local superhero. Maybe they would have an idea of how to handle this development.

Lois lay in bed, curled up in Clark’s arms. She replayed their recent lovemaking in her mind and listened to his heartbeat beneath his chest. His hands rested protectively around her waist, resting against her abdomen. “So, we never did figure out where we’re going to live,” Lois said, seductively running a finger down Clark’s chest.

“I know.” Clark sighed, turning to face her so that he was on his side. “We need to look at some places. It’s just been so crazy...”

“Any more ‘help’ on rescues?” she asked.

He shook his head, “Nope, The clone seems to be making himself scarce…We’ll start looking at places this weekend…barring any major disasters or distractions..”

A sharp thump from inside her abdomen caught her attention. “I think someone agrees.” She laughed.

“Definitely your kid. He’s not even born yet and he’s already sticking his two cents in.”

Lois thwacked him with the pillow. “You are going to pay for that!”

“I’m kidding. I’m kidding.” He laughed.

Lois leaned down to tickle him; only to find him unmoving. “That is not fair.” She whined.

Clark reached up to capture her lips. “I don’t play fair.” He murmured.

“Good morning, Ms. Drake.” Lucy called out when Mayson entered the office.

“Morning,” Mayson said briskly. “I have a meeting with the Mayor and Judge Roberts this morning. I won’t be available until this afternoon. Make sure everything on the schedule is pushed back.”

“Ms. Drake, did you hear about what happened to LexCorp?” Lucy asked.

“Yes, I’m afraid the Skins are probably at it again; although I doubt it’s actually the Skins’ idea to burn it down.” Mayson sighed, “I’m sorry. Have you heard anything from Lex?”

Lucy shook her head, “No, but I’m confident he’ll show up.”

“That’s the spirit.” Mayson cheered.

“So, what exactly are we doing about the Skins?” Lana asked. “I mean, they are out of control.” Lana laid her purse at her desk, turning to face Mayson and Lucy.

“Well, I’m trying to get their bond revoked. They’ve just obtained a new attorney; Sheldon Bender.” Mayson said grimly.

“Legal representation for the corrupt and sleazy.” Lucy noted.

“How are they affording representation from him? His rates are outrageous…” Lana noticed the curious glances she was getting from Lucy and Mayson, “…or so I’ve heard.”

“Good question.” Mayson said. She eyed Lana critically for a moment before turning to Lucy. “Can I see you in my office a moment?”

“Sure.” Lucy followed Mayson across the hall into her office and closed the door.

“What I’m about to tell you doesn’t leave this room. Are we clear?” Mayson asked.

“Yes. Absolutely.” Lucy agreed.

“Good. I have reason to believe Intergang is backing the Skins.”

“Intergang?” Lucy asked, curiously.

“Organized crime,” Mayson said; as if that explained everything. “I want you to start looking into Martin Snell’s books as well as Sheldon Bender’s. I need to know what the commonality is between them. I know Martin was working for Intergang. I suspect Mr. Bender is too.”

“Does that mean Linda is a part of Intergang too?” Lucy asked.

“I don’t know,” Mayson said. “All the evidence points to her, but I can’t be sure of anything right now. Keep this to yourself. Don’t tell Lana; or your sister. I can’t afford for Intergang to know what I’m up to. You seem trustworthy. That’s a step in the right direction as far as I’m concerned. Now, I have to go.”

“Clark?” Lois called out when she awoke to find herself alone in bed. She scanned the bedroom and saw no sign of him anywhere. Maybe he was out on a rescue. She grabbed his dress shirt from the night before and put it on; heading toward the kitchen to make some coffee. She opened the door to find Clark on the other side, carrying a tray of food and a freshly brewed cup of coffee. “Mmmm, you’re good.” She grabbed the coffee from the tray and took a sip. “Decaf?” She verified.

“Decaf.” Clark nodded. “Fruit, yogurt, and croissant with chocolate drizzle. So, you still get your chocolate.” Clark leaned down to give her a kiss. “Good morning.”

“Morning.” Lois gestured towards the tray of food as they sat down on the bed. “What’s all this?”

“Breakfast.” He pointed at each item on the tray. “Fruit, bread and dairy.”

“But I don’t want to eat that much in the morning.” She argued. “You know I’m not really much of a breakfast person.”

“Too bad,” Clark said, handing her the bowl of fruit. “You need to eat healthy and we’ve both been running pretty ragged these past few days. You need to keep up your strength and eat more healthy than what you have been.”

Lois scowled at him. “I eat healthy.”

“Double Fudge Crunch bars are not healthy.” Clark argued, avoiding the swat she aimed at him.

“How is it that you know what I am or am not supposed to be eating?” Clark pulled out a book to show her. “What to Expect When You’re Expecting…” Lois read the title and shook her head in disbelief.

“I just want to make sure you and the baby are okay. I mean, we don’t know everything to expect because of my….”

Lois leaned up to kiss him. “Thank you.” She whispered. “I think it’s sweet that you care so much, but I think you’re slipping into that over protective mode.”

“You better believe it.” He whispered, recapturing her mouth once more. Lois smiled against his mouth, eager to intensify their contact when he pulled away, standing up; leaving her disappointed. She gave a pout of disapproval. “We need to get ready for work.” He explained.

“Spoil sport.” Lois pouted.

“Lois, CK, you’ve got a visitor.” Jimmy said, pointing at Lois’ desk.

Lois and Clark nodded as they headed towards Lois’ desk where an unfamiliar balding man sat. “May we help you?” Lois asked, taking a seat at her desk.

“Yes, I’m Dr. Bernard Klein. I work at S.T.A.R. Labs. I was a colleague of Dr. Leek’s…”

“Dr. Leek?” Clark asked curiously.

“Yes, I believe you spoke with him about the cloning process.” Dr. Klein prompted.

“Yes.” Lois crossed her arms over her chest. “How did you know about that?”

Dr. Klein avoided her gaze, his face flushing slightly. “I …I need to talk to you …in private about this.”

Lois glanced at Clark who nodded. He motioned toward Jimmy to clear out the conference room. Jimmy gave him a thumbs up. “We can go in the conference room.” Clark said.

“Bender!” Church hollered across the room.

“Yes, Mr. Church?” Sheldon Bender asked, running towards him.

“What is this?” Church threw down the morning edition of the Daily Planet. “This Lois Lane and Clark Kent are writing articles about how they think organized crime is implementing itself into Metropolis. I don’t like it. How do I get them to stop?”

“Well, the only person who can control what gets printed in the Daily Planet is the publisher and owners of the paper.” Bender explained.

“Get to it.” Church ordered. “I can’t afford this kind of press. Petition the board for a proposal to purchase the Planet.”

“Yes, Mr. Church.” Bender nodded.

“Are you sure about this, Mr. Luthor?” Dr. Leek asked. “I mean, we’ve been monitoring his every move for the last month. He hasn’t been without…”

“This is the ultimate test. I’m everything he knows. I want to see what he will do when he thinks I’ve been killed by my enemy.” Lex said, puffing on his cigar. “I’m sure I won’t be disappointed.”

“Yes, Mr. Luthor.”

“Have another shipment of Revenge sent over. I’ve come up with the perfect solution.” Lex said.

Dr. Leek had always been a creature of habit. He was methodical in all his experiments and developments. It was no wonder that Lex Luthor had chosen him for creating a secret weapon against his hated enemy, Superman. Dr. Leek had proven himself with the successful cloning of the frogs he had been experimenting on.

Dr. Klein had started as an assistant to Dr. Leek years ago, learning the ins and outs of the scientific community. He looked up to the scientist as he explored the science of cloning and made breakthroughs that would change medical science for all time.

Then something strange happened. Dr. Leek’s experiments began to disappear. Evidence of his medical breakthroughs would disappear over night. Dr. Klein had grown into an intelligent scientist, capable of holding his own in medical debates and able to conduct his own experiments without observation from senior scientists. When Dr. Klein had left Lex Labs to start work at S.T.A.R. Labs it had been a bittersweet moment. He was finally doing what he wanted, but he was leaving behind his mentor. This was the reason everything had been so hard.

Superman had followed Lois and Clark to S.T.A.R. Labs as they walked with an unidentifiable balding man. He wasn’t sure what was going on, but he wanted some answers. These were friends of Superman’s. Surely they would know where to find him…

“I’ve suspected for some time now that Dr. Leek’s research wasn’t all it appeared to be. The frogs we’ve been experimenting on were coming up missing along with critical research notes. When asked about the missing items Dr. Leek simply brushed me off.” Dr. Klein explained as he walked Lois and Clark through the hallway of S.T.A.R. Labs. “Now, you promise you will keep my name out of print. As a scientist; I can’t afford to be linked to this. Too many ….” Dr. Klein allowed his voice to lower a few octaves, “….crazy people.”

Lois and Clark exchanged a humorous glance between one another. “Dr. Klein, we won’t be revealing you as a source, but we need to understand exactly what it is that you’ve found..” Lois began soothingly.

Dr. Klein unlocked his office and ushered them inside. “I hid the notebooks in my safe. It's where I keep everything….sensitive.” Lois and Clark nodded in understanding and Dr. Klein turned on the light only to come face to face with... “Superman?”

“Where is he?” Superman strode forward, advancing towards Lois and Clark angrily.

“Who?” Clark asked confused.

“He’s my father’s most hated enemy. I know he killed him!”

“Oh, my....You’re the CLONE!!” Dr. Klein gasped in amazement.

“What are you talking about?” Superman asked, in annoyance.

“You see, you’re a medical evolution. The ability to clone an entire being is well...” Superman grabbed Dr. Klein by the collar, hoisting him up in the air. “I assume you aren’t interested in what I have to say.”

“Put him down!” Clark intervened, placing a hand on the angry Superman’s arm.

Superman dropped Dr. Klein to the ground and turned to face Clark. His stony gaze was met with an equal steely gaze from Clark. “Where is Superman???”

“What does Superman have to do with this?” Lois asked, hesitantly.

“My father….He ….He…I know he killed him..” Superman hissed angrily.

“Listen to me. Superman hasn’t done anything to your father.” Clark tried to reason.

“Liar!” Superman roared.

“No, I’m not.” Clark argued. “Your father made you from a part of Superman. You’re a part of Superman. He isn’t your enemy.”

“He killed my father!”

“He took a part of Superman’s body and cloned you. You’re a biological machine. You don’t have any memories of your life…” Clark continued.

“You LIAR!!” Superman lifted his arm to strike Clark, but Clark’s reflexes were quick. He caught Superman’s arm midair, forcing it back down. Superman’s eyes narrowed as he locked his eyes with Clark’s; who was staring back with his own steely gaze.

“Dr. Klein? We heard someone yell! Are you all right? I’m sending security...” The voice of the receptionist echoed through the intercom.

Superman’s face changed to panic. “This isn’t over. I’ll be seeing you.” With that Superman left.

“What just happened here?” Dr. Klein asked.

“As of right now there has still yet to have been any word on the whereabouts of Mr. Lex Luthor, elusive billionaire and owner of LexCorp. The police have yet to issue a statement as of now.”

Lana clicked off the television and turned to Lucy who was typing away, ignoring the newscaster’s report. “Wow, you must be a wreck. I can’t believe you came in today.”

“I have to work.” Lucy said.

“Burying yourself into your work. Understandable.”

“I’m sure Lex is fine.” Lucy said confidentially. “Now will you hand me that deposition?”

“So, let me get this straight; you’re Superman?” Dr. Klein asked, pointing at Clark, “but you’re really Clark Kent?”

Clark nodded nervously. “Uh, yeah. Listen, Dr. Klein, I know we don’t know each other very well, but if this got out...”

Dr. Klein laughed, “I’m not going to tell anyone. Relax. You’ve done so much good for Metropolis....It’d be a shame if someone found out about you and exposed it to the world. You could never continue doing your good work. I won’t tell anyone I promise.”

“Thank you, Dr. Klein.” Lois said, squeezing Clark’s hand in support.

“So...” Dr. Klein began. “That was the clone?”

“Uh, yeah.” Clark nodded.

“He seems very angry. What’d you do to him?”

“Nothing that I know of.” Clark sighed.

“Who’s this father he kept talking about?”

“He won’t tell me. He thinks I’m his enemy. I really wish I could help him...if he’d let me.”

“I have my suspicions on who his father is.” Lois said dryly. “Too many coincidences.”

Superman sat in a secluded area of the library, scanning book after book. Clone. That was what that man had called him. According to these books, he was a genetic copy. He wasn’t real. How could he not be real? He felt real. He flew just like Superman. He didn’t hide behind a pair of glasses and a fake name the way Superman did, but he was real. He had so many questions. Where was his father when he needed him?

“Are you okay?” Lois asked as they stepped inside Clark’s apartment that afternoon. “I know that couldn’t have been easy....telling Dr. Klein like that.”

“We didn’t have much choice.” Clark reasoned. “He seems...trustworthy.” Clark let out a shuddered breath.

“You’re still scared?” Lois observed.

“The more people that know; the more exposed I feel. It’s not like I was planning to tell him; like I was with you.” Clark explained. “But if I hadn’t done what I’d done; who knows what else that clone could have done...”

“I know.” Lois sighed, leaning up against him as they sat on the couch. “You want to know what I think?”

“That Lex Luthor is laying low somewhere and the clone has gone berserk because his father is missing?” Clark asked.

“Great minds think alike.” Lois noted. Clark gave her a weak smile, pulling her against his chest. “Clark, are you okay?”

“I’ll be fine. It just takes a little getting used to.” Clark explained.

Lois watched Clark as he sat solemnly, staring off into space. She hadn’t realized how much of a burden his secret was before. Telling Dr. Klein had been frightening. Neither of them knew what the scientist would do with the information. They had been relived when Dr. Klein had voiced his intentions to keep quiet about Clark’s dual identity.

She hated seeing him like this. His usual upbeat mood was nowhere to be seen and showed no signs of returning any time soon.

“So, Lucy said Mayson’s pushing to have Linda taken to trial this week.” Lois said, hoping the change of subject would help.

“I can’t believe they’re trying to prosecute her solely on circumstantial evidence.” Clark said.

“Well, Mayson seems like she’s on a power trip right now. She wants Intergang and she’s using everyone she can to try and get to them.” Lois sighed, resting her head against his chest as he held her close, neither needing to say anything more.

“Sir? A word.” Nigel said, entering the bunker.

Lex turned to face Nigel, “Yes, what is it, Nigel?”

“You may want to look at this.” Nigel pointed the remote towards the television. Mayson Drake’s image appeared at a press conference as she addressed the people of Metropolis.

“It is this office’s position that Superman should turn himself in. He cannot seem to act like a law abiding citizen and must be treated as a criminal just like everyone else.”

“Hmmm….It seems he isn’t taking the news of my disappearance very well.” Lex observed.

“Yes. I’ve called the lawyers to assure them not to allow any declaration of death on your part for at least a few weeks. Will that be enough time, Sir?” Nigel asked.

“Yes. I assume by the end of the week we will have the results we need.” Lex said, puffing at his cigar.

<<“I’m going to be in hiding for a little while. I have dangerous enemies that are headed towards Metropolis. I want you to know this has nothing to do with you. It is imperative that people not know my whereabouts. Is that something you can handle?” Lex asked.

“Yes, Lex. I’m sure it won’t be a problem. Lois and I usually try to avoid any subjects regarding you because we can never agree.” Lucy smiled at him.

“It won’t be this way for long. Until the proper authorities can apprehend this person I will stay in seclusion. As soon as I can I’ll come back.” Lex reassured her with a kiss.>>

“Lucy, are you okay?” Lana asked, waving a hand in front of her face.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Sorry. It’s just been a hectic week.” Lucy explained.

“Yeah, I’ll bet.” Lana said, noting Lucy’s evasive tone. “Here’s the file on Linda King.” Lana handed her the file and Lucy nodded her thanks. Lana watched her for a moment then left.

She had to keep it together. She couldn’t allow anyone to suspect that she knew Lex’s whereabouts. If something happened to him because of her; she’d never be able to forgive herself.

“What do you mean they won’t sell?” Bill Church raged. “What am I paying you for?”

“Mr. Chruch, the Planet has the discretionary to refuse a proposal…” Sheldon Bender explained.

“They have no idea who they’re dealing with. I will….”

“Mr. Church, this is just the preliminary process…”

“Enough of this legal mumbo jumbo. We’ll do things the old fashioned way,” Church snarled.

Perry White stepped out of the elevator into the lobby of the Daily Planet. He waved good night to the security guard, Wilson and headed towards the parking garage. It had been a long week. He hadn’t been home in time to have dinner with Alice all week. He checked his watch. Just enough time to stop by for a bouquet of roses and a bottle of wine.

A sharp pain hit the back of his neck. He turned to face the source of this pain only to be greeted by the scent of chloroform against his nostrils. What? No….

“Grab him. Throw him in the van,” a voice said.

He couldn’t. He couldn’t stay conscious. Why? What was happening? He tried to open his mouth to speak only to be met with pain. The serenity of darkness and unconsciousness fell upon him as his body was lifted from the concrete ground and thrown into an unmarked van.

Clark glanced at the clock and sighed. Lois had gone shopping with Lucy at the Metropolis Baby Expo they were having. It seemed to be something more for mothers so he’d decided to just stay back and work on some of the research on the Snell case while Lois and Lucy had some quality time together. Since they’d gotten back from their honeymoon the time they’d been able to spend together was infrequent and he knew Lois missed that time with her sister.

He picked up the police report on Snell’s murder and shook his head in disgust. How could this have happened and he not heard any cries for help? The fears over everything that had been creeping into the forefront of his mind over the last few weeks. The criminal element seemed to be ahead of them every time and he couldn’t figure out where it all connected. There had to be something they were missing. Clark poured over the notes he and Lois had taken on Martin Snell’s murder. Everything circumstantial was pointing towards Linda King. She had been the last to be seen with Martin Snell. The police called it a crime of passion…. Linda was the obvious suspect, but Lois insisted Linda wasn’t a killer. It amazed him how Lois was quick to defend Linda despite the obvious dislike between the two women.

The closer they seemed to be getting to everything the more destruction that seemed to be going on in Metropolis and the more he feared for Lois and his son’s safety. He couldn’t be everywhere at once. He knew that but what would happen if he was somewhere else and he wasn’t able to protect them?

The sound of jingling of keys caught his attention and he put the file down to help Lois with her bags. “Hey, honey,” He gave her a peck on the cheek as he grabbed the bags from her and headed to the living room with them.

“Thanks…You wouldn’t believe the stuff they had there.” Lois said following him to the couch to begin sorting the bags. “Lucy had a checklist for everything. We got mainly knick knacks and diapers and blankets…I still wasn’t sure what to do about sizes. I know your mom said not to worry about it…they’ll grow into it…but look at me…” She pointed to the small bump. “He’s still so tiny,”

Clark smiled, resting his hands on the small bump where their son was growing, “The doctor said everything was fine,” He reminded her. “You’re only a few weeks into the third trimester,”

Lois nodded, “I need to call mom and try and tell her. I wanted to tell both her and daddy but that seems near impossible….so…” She shrugged, leaning back against the couch and let out a breath.

He nodded, wrapping an arm around her to pull her to him, “I think your mom will be happy. I’m still not sure why it is such a big deal to tell them both…”

“Because then it's one more thing for them to fight over…” Lois sighed. “Nothing is ever easy with them,”

“Well, did you and Lucy have a good time?” He asked.

“Yeah,” Lois nodded. “It was nice to talk to her about something other than work …or murders….” She gestured to the stack of files on the table, “…and not fight with her about Lex Luthor.”

“Good,” He gave her a peck on the cheek. “Have you eaten yet?”

“No, not yet. We had a snack at the Expo but it was so hectic there we kinda rushed…” Lois explained.

Clark nodded, heading for the kitchen to fish out leftovers from the night before to heat up with Lois behind him, “We’ve got Chinese and Lasagna still left over…”

She thought about the choices for a moment and then decided, “Lasagna and egg rolls,” She said with a grin.

He made a face, shaking his head. “If it's okay with you I’ll just have the lasagna,”

“More egg rolls for me,” Lois smiled as he heated everything up with his heat vision and handed her a plate. She took a seat at the dining table and propped her feet up on the chair across from her as Clark took a seat next to her. “These are great,” She said after taking a bite from her egg roll.

“If you say so,” Clark laughed as he watched her dip her egg roll into the sauce of the lasagna.

She rested her hand on her abdomen and smiled when she was rewarded with a thump and lifted her blouse up slightly to watch as their son moved beneath her skin. “See? He agrees with me.”

He leaned down to press a kiss on her abdomen and whispered, “You have strange tastes little one,” before leaning up to kiss her.

“I don’t understand,” Linda said, huffily. “I have been working for Intergang for almost a year now and this is how I’m repaid? I’m being railroaded for a MURDER I didn’t even commit!”

“I understand your predicament, Ms. King, but patience is key.” Sheldon Bender sighed, raking a hand through his hair. “Listen, I’ve been hired to give you the best defense possible.”

“I’m being railroaded! All the evidence is pointing to me!”

“There are ways around that,” Bender replied coolly.

“Do you have any idea who you’re dealing with?” Perry hollered as he heard laughter surrounding him. A dark cloth covered his eyes. His hands were tied securely behind his back along with his ankles; preventing him from getting free of his confines. He was in trouble.

“Yeah, we’re really scared, ain’t we, Gene?” a thug joked.

“You idiot!” A loud thump could be heard.

“OW!!” the thug cried. “That hurt.”

“Don’t do anything to jeopardize this mission again.”

They were flying. They were in the air. She was pressed up against the ceiling as Clark made love to her. It was exhilarating. The freedom she felt in his arms. “You are so gorgeous.” He murmured, nibbling at her neck as he held her close. His head buried against her shoulder as he struggled to catch his breath.

“Wow..” She murmured breathlessly.

“Mmmm hmmm,” He murmured, moving to cup her cheek. “I love you, Lois…you and our son….are everything to me.”

“Oh, Clark…” She leaned in to kiss him. “I love you too.” Feeling the pressure of the very uncomfortable ceiling on her back she groaned against him, “Clark, we’re on the ceiling.”

Clark smiled sheepishly at her, “Yeah.” He floated them back down, landing on the couch. “Better?” He asked.

“Mmm hmmm.” She leaned down to kiss him lightly.

“Dr. Lane, working late I see.” Dr. Leek commented as he opened the door to his office in LexLabs.

“Well, we’re coming close to a breakthrough on this type ‘A’ clone. I think we’re making real progress.” Dr. Sam Lane announced proudly.

“Excellent. I’m sorry I was out of touch there for a while. After the fire at LexCorp, I wanted to make sure none of my experiments were jeopardized…”

“I understand Fabian…” Sam Lane nodded. “Any word from Mr. Luthor? I know the authorities are worried about his absence.”

“Uh, no.” Dr. Leek shook his head vigorously, avoiding Dr. Lane’s gaze. “I, uh, haven’t heard anything. I’m sure he’ll be all right.”

“Hmmm…” Sam Lane nodded and turned back to his work, not completely convinced.

Later that evening Lois and Clark poured over their notes on Martin Snell’s murder and the files they had on Intergang. Clark was dressed in his jeans and t-shirt. Lois opted to wear one of his old Smallville Football jerseys and a pair of shorts. A wardrobe choice that remained very distracting.

“This is creepy,” Lois said, scanning the files. “She’s been working with Snell since after college.”

“You notice who else is with him?” Clark pointed at several black and white photos they had of Martin Snell and his colleagues in a file they had.

“Mayson Drake and Bill Church,” Lois said grimly.

“But Mayson seems awfully gun hoe about putting Intergang away.” Clark pointed out.

“She also seems awfully chummy with Bill Church too.” Lois pointed out.

“You think the law abiding district attorney is really a criminal in disguise?”

“Stranger things have happened.” She pointed out.

A knock at Clark’s front door interrupted their thoughts. Clark glanced towards his front door and grimaced. “It’s Jimmy.”

“Hasn’t he ever heard of a phone?” Lois asked.

Clark laughed and got up to answer the door. “Hey, CK! Great, you’re home!” Jimmy walked into the apartment then stopped when he saw Lois. “Uh, hi, Lois.”

“What’s up, Jimmy?” Lois asked; ignoring the embarrassed expression Jimmy wore when he glanced toward the kitchen and saw the scattered clothing that still lay on the floor.

“Well, I…I was wondering if you guys had heard what that Assistant DA was doing…” Jimmy said, staring at his feet.

“No, we haven’t really had time to watch television tonight,” Lois explained, pointing to the stack of files in front of her.

“Oh, right.” Jimmy nodded. “Uh, well, she’s trying to issue a warrant out for Superman’s arrest.”

“What???” Lois and Clark asked in unison.

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube