Winner Takes All
Folc4evernaday
Part 29

Superman entered the darkened laboratory, closing the door carefully behind him. A light switched on, revealing Lex Luthor sitting in the corner, waiting for him. “Do you have any idea what time it is?”

“Sorry, father, I was just…practicing—like you told me. My ‘out of town’ tryout. I think I did good,” Superman said.

Lex nodded, “Yes, I saw you in Paris.”

“And I saved that sinking ship in Rio. That was fun.” Superman added, trying to appease his ‘father’ who seemed mildly ticked.

“All well and good, but when I say 10:00, I mean 10:00. You haven’t been flying around Metropolis, have you?”

“Oh, no, father, you told me not to,” Superman said.

Lex stood up and hugged him. “Come along. Time for bed.”

Superman climbed on Lex’s back. “Read me a story?”

“Maybe. If you’re in bed quickly with no fuss.” Lex carried him over toward the center of the lab.

Superman stood inside the vat, monitors hooked up to him; testing his vitals. The machinery hummed in the background as Lex read his ‘story’ to Superman. “…and then the Wolf said to Red Ridinghood. ‘Are you sure the policy is in your name?’ And Red Ridinghood said, ‘Yes. Grandma said when she passed away I would inherit everything.’ So, the Wolf said, ‘Let’s pay grandma a visit.’ And so Red Ridinghood took off her hood and cape and gave it to the Wolf.”

Superman finished the story for Lex, having heard it before. “And the Wolf went through the forest to Grandmother’s house and ate her, and he and Red Ridinghood split the money.”

“That’s right, as it should be. The grandmother was old and it was time for the younger, stronger generation to take over.” Luthor pressed a few buttons on the computer desk. A hissing noise echoed. “And so it is with you and the old Superman. You and I are destined to control this city and eventually the world.” A cover slowly lowered over Superman. “Remember: All that ultimately counts is winning. All that satisfies is power. Might is Right. Obey me in all these things and we shall realize our dream.” The cover sealed in Superman, letting out a low hiss from the air pressure being released. “To destroy Superman. He is my enemy. Therefore, he is your enemy. You will be the instrument of our victory, then you will be the one, the only Superman. My Superman.”

Clark stared grimly at the empty ceiling as he floated up and down from the couch. Something was definitely wrong. Lois wouldn’t talk to him. She had gone home early saying something about needing some air. He wasn’t sure what to make of it. He’d offered to fly her home, but she’d flat out refused. What was going on? Could it have something to do with Claude showing up? Maybe she was mad at him for interfering?

The phone beside the couch rang and he lunged for it, “Lois?”

“Clark?” His mother’s voice rang on the other end of the phone.

He fought to hide his disappointment, “Oh, hi, mom.”

“What’s wrong? You two have a fight?” Martha asked.

“I don’t know. I haven’t been able to get Lois to talk to me all afternoon….” He replied glumly.

“Well, she may just be having a bad day. Hormone changes can mess with your emotions.” Martha said.

“I guess.” He sighed, not really believing that hormones were the source of Lois’ bad mood.

“Clark, I wanted to talk to you about something I saw on the newsstands about…”

“HELP SUPERMAN!!” a cry for help penetrated his thoughts.

“Uh, Mom, I gotta go. Someone’s calling for help.” Clark stammered, putting the phone down. He spun into the suit and ricocheted into the air.

“You gonna talk about it?” Lucy asked.

“Nope,” Lois said flatly.

“Are you mad?”

“Hmmm.”

“Did you two have a fight?” Lucy prodded.

“Nope,” Lois said curtly.

“Lois?” Lucy waved a hand in her sister’s face. “What’s wrong???”

“Nothing.” She said flatly. “Absolutely nothing.” She stabbed her fork into the plate of food in front of her. “I’m FINE.”

“Uh-huh.” Lucy sighed. “Well, when you’re Un-fine. Let me know.” Lois turned away from her sister and Lucy sighed, “You can’t avoid me forever….and whatever it is…you need to go home and talk to Clark…”

“I’m not talking about it,” Lois said bitterly.

“Okay. You know it’s not uncommon for newlyweds to fight about stuff that seems really important at first but really silly in reality. Between being newlyweds and impending parenthood with the hormones making your emotions go on an all-time high and then the guy doesn’t know what to do…”

“What makes you think it’s MY hormones?” Lois glared across the kitchen counter at her sister.

“No reason.” Lucy smiled. “I’m going to leave now. I’ll see you later…hopefully in a much better mood?”

Superman landed on the roof of the Metropolis STAR only to find a woman dressed in black waiting for him. “Is there a problem Miss?” He asked hesitantly. Before he knew it the woman launched herself into his arms. “Miss please!” He pushed her back and was shocked to see it was none other than Linda King. “Ms. King?”

“Oh, Superman, you don’t have to be coy!” Linda purred, running a seductive hand up his chest. “If I’d known you felt that way I would have said something before…”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, but you have me confused with someone else.” He said stepping away from her. With that he ricocheted himself into the night’s sky; even more confused about the day’s events than he had before.

Clark landed in the back alley behind Lucy’s apartment, spinning back into his suit he was in earlier. He wasn’t sure what was going on, but he knew he needed to talk to Lois. They hadn’t spent a single night apart since they said ‘I do’ and he wasn’t going to start now.

“Lois?” he knocked on the apartment door. No answer. He x-rayed inside and saw Lois curled up on the couch angrily flipping channels. He sighed, raking his hand through his hair, “Please let me in…we need to talk…”

The door flung open. Lois’ face was blotchy and her eyes red. It looked like she had been crying.

What was going on?

He entered the apartment slowly, closing the door behind him. “Lois?”

“What?” Lois asked bitterly, wiping at her moistened cheeks.

“Are you okay?” He asked, pulling up a chair beside her.

“I’m FINE. Why does everyone keep asking me if I’m okay? I’m FINE. This is me just FINE.” She glared at him, crossing her arms across her chest.

“Fine. I get it. What are you crying about then?” Clark asked.

A look of rage crossed her face. “Oh, I don’t know. Maybe the fact that I don’t know anyone anymore?” She stood up and began pacing around the room. “You know you think you know someone…”

“Lois, what are you talking about?” Clark asked.

“As if you didn’t know!” Lois glared at him.

“No, I don’t know!” He shot back, getting equally angry at her. “All I know is you’ve barely said two words to me since this afternoon. What the hell is going on?”

“THIS!” She slapped a copy of the National Inquirer with a photograph of Superman and Linda King in a clinch on the front cover.

Clark stared at the cover in horror, “Lois…I…”

“Don’t!” She held up a hand for him to stop. “I already checked. It’s a screen shot from the VIDEO they had.” She slammed her fist against his chest, “How could you…?”

“Lois, I didn’t do this. I don’t know what the hell is going on here, but that isn’t me. I would never…”

“Really? You know of someone else that flies around in a cape and a big ‘S’ on their chest?” She hissed.

He moved to cup her cheek, “I would never….ever…”

She brushed him off of her. “What the hell am I supposed to think? I look up at the screen and see you in the arms of that…that…ARGH! I mean, I know I don’t have the same figure I had when we started going out, but I never thought I was that bad to look at…”

“Lois…don’t…” Clark placed an arm around her waist, “I’m telling you this is all a big mistake.” The look in her eyes was killing him. She’d never looked at him like that before. He just wanted to make the pain go away. He leaned in to kiss her. She seemed to surrender in his arms for a split second before pushing him away. “Please…you have to believe me…I would never…ever do something like this.”

The tears were flowing down her cheeks as she shook her head, “I …I can’t do this…I …I need to think…”

“Lois…”

“I need time to think and I can’t do it with you here. So, please just go…” She opened the door.
Unable to think of anything else to say, he nodded and left.

“Please…don’t shut me out,” he pleaded. She winced, trying to hold back the tears. He kissed her on the forehead before leaving.

Clark flew through the air, unable to comprehend what had just happened. Lois had pushed him away, unwilling to listen to anything he had said. He really couldn’t blame her. It didn’t look good. The man in the photo looked exactly like him, but he would never do something like that. He headed towards Smallville to talk to his folks. Maybe they would have some insight on what to do. As of right now, he was clueless.

Clark stared at the newspapers on his parents' dining table. “So, you’re saying you were never in Paris…never in Rio…none of this was you?” Jonathan asked.

“No,” Clark said, shaking his head. “I was in the doctor’s office with Lois when some of this happened.”

“So….What?” Martha asked. “There’s someone impersonating you?”

“I don’t know. Whoever it is…They’re making my life hell.” He ran a ragged hand through his hair. “Lois hates me. People are beginning to doubt Superman. Lois hates me. Crazy people are attacking me, crying wolf. Lois hates me.” He pounded his fist against his forehead, “We just got married, then something like THIS happens. Lois hates me.”

“You mentioned that,” Jonathan said.

“And it’s not true,” Martha added. “She wouldn’t get upset if she didn’t care.”

“You didn’t see her face,” Clark muttered bitterly.

“This is unbelievable.” Jonathan sighed. “Maybe you should make a public statement, get this out in the open, and let the world know there’s an imposter out there.”

Clark shook his head, “I need to know what I’m dealing with here. I mean, none of this makes any sense…” Martha placed a supportive hand on his shoulder.

Clark soared through the air, heading back towards Metropolis. The sound of childish laughter caught his attention. He x-rayed one of the Metropolis Tunnels below him and saw what looked like his double. He ricocheted down to confront this ‘double’ and have him answer some questions.

The double turned to face him. Clark stared in shock as his double wore a mocking grin. “Who are you?”

“I don’t want to talk. You’re my enemy!” His double roared.

“Why would you say that?” Clark asked.

“I am the most powerful man in the universe. You’ve outlived your usefulness.”

“Who told you these things?” Clark asked, dumbfounded.

“My father.” His doppelganger said proudly, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Who’s your father?”

“I promised never to tell.”

“I’m not your enemy.” He began cautiously. “I want to be your friend. I want to know more about you, where you come from.”

“I was born in the womb. My father took me out.”

“Okay. How old are you?”

“As old as you are!” the double snapped, letting out a mocking laugh, “Catch me if you can.” With that he flew off, leaving a very confused Clark behind.

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube