Fallout - 2016 - Matchmaker Chronicles Vol 1 CG3 7/15

Previously

The next day, after football practice, unexpectedly, Hattie was waiting for Jon as he came out of the locker room. He was dressed in dark clothes because he was planning on following Hattie if she went to yet another school to try and get inside information. Jon was surprised to see her standing there and walked up to her. “Hey, Hattie! What are you doing here?”

“Well, actually, I was looking for you. You know, you might have been right.”

“Oh, about what?”

“I don’t think I’ll be scouting the competition anymore.” Looking around and seeing the crowd, Hattie said, “Let’s walk to the car.”

As they walked, Jon asked, “What about your series of articles?”

“Nick will have to be happy with what I’ve submitted so far. You’re right. It could be dangerous.”

“What convinced you?”

“Oh, nothing. Can’t a girl change her mind?”

Stopping her in her tracks, Jon looked at her and said, “Hattie, I know you too well for you to convince me that you just ‘changed your mind’ What’s wrong? Look, this is Jon; you know you can tell me. What happened, Hattie? Do I need to go somewhere and kick some butt?”

Hattie broke down and started to cry. The story came out between sobs, “Oh, Jon, it was horrible! There was this big guy and he … he tried to force me and … he ripped my shirt and had his hands all over me. I struck out … I didn’t think it did any good, and he hit me … and suddenly he stopped and he was on the ground … and I don’t know what happened … and I don’t ever want to be in that situation again.”

She leaned into his chest and he wrapped her up in his arms, comforting her, “There, there, I don’t think he’ll be bothering you again.” Jon realized that if he wasn’t careful he would make a mistake so he stopped talking. He was thinking, <I’m glad I followed her and saved her from that. Why do guys need to be like that? Thinking they can take whatever they want from a girl, whether they want to give it or not.>

“What kind of investigative reporter will I be if I get scared off by something like that?”

Jon placed a forefinger under her chin and lifted it so that she was looking at him as he said, “A smart one that will live to investigate other stories.”

“Yeah, I guess. If I had Superman as a guardian angel like your mom had, to pull me out of spots like that, it would be another story, but I don’t.”

Jon thought, <If you only knew. But then, if you did, would it make you more reckless? Some people think it made Mom more reckless once Dad showed up and started protecting her.>

Hattie buried her head in Jon’s chest again, so she couldn’t see it, but Jon smiled. He had been her guardian angel, but she didn’t know it and it would have to stay that way. He could see though, that if nothing were done, it could become a full time job. He suggested, “Why not talk it over with my mom. I’m sure she would have some suggestions. She might help you not get in over your head.”

She sniffled and replied, “Yeah, I think I will.”

Jon was relieved. He knew that his mom would give her good advice.

And now

Chapter 07 –
September, 2016
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Prime
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Football season, but not the games, had started almost as soon as the school year had commenced. Starting the very first week the coach started tracking the player’s grades to ensure their eligibility. The first few weeks of school there were daily practices, mostly just running drills and learning plays. The actual games wouldn’t start until October.

Jon loved playing football and it showed in his performance. His special abilities served to enhance his performance. His telescopic vision enabled him to see his receivers clearly even when far downfield. The coach watched each play closely and was well satisfied that if anything happened to his starter he had a good replacement.

Jon was gratified to see that Bud and his cronies also wanted to play and were serious about winning. On plays where Jon handed off to Bud he took the handoff and ran the called play without fail. Most of his posse had been made linemen and they performed adequately, they were not outstanding players, but they did make an opening in the defensive line for Bud to squirt through.

The season finally started and in the game against the Badgers they rang up a 24 to 10 win. That had been the first game and the coach had cautioned them that they couldn’t let down with the win, because each week was a new game. They didn’t win every game, but the Metropolis Wildcats were rolling up an impressive series of wins.

With each win the players came under additional scrutiny. The school administration was anxious to make sure that they followed all of the rules because they didn’t want any student to lose a possible athletic scholarship because the school was lax on their requirements. The coach was highly motivated to have all of the players eligible and kept a constant check on his player’s grades. He actually took it a step further, requiring his players to provide weekly updates of grades on quizzes.

As long as the players kept up their grades he was happy. If he saw some grades starting to slip, he took steps to have them brought up, and he even arranged for tutors in the necessary subjects.

October, 2016

The school year was going very well for Hattie and her posse. They were all serious students and spent many study halls working together. Morgana proved herself to be an outstanding English and French tutor. Jon handled the sciences while JJ handled the maths and Hattie and Lara took care of the humanities.

Because of the easygoing attitude evidenced in Jon, Lara and JJ, Morgana had quickly warmed up to them. She was still somewhat shy around strangers, but she was rarely bothered because most of the time she was in the company of Jon or JJ. As a result other guys outside her group who were attracted to her looks and bubbly personality still stayed away from her. Morgana knew that she was attractive, but because of her shy disposition, didn’t want the attention and was happy that the other guys actually kept their distance. She was comfortable the way things were.

It actually reminded her of her previous school. Her brother Dave had been an upperclassman. She had hung out with him and his buddies most of the time. His buddies knew that a ‘hands off’ policy was in effect for his little sister and they honored it, behaving toward her like additional brothers. An added benefit was that other guys were intimidated by Dave and his buddies, so they left her alone and she liked it that way.

Dave had graduated before they had moved and was now away at college. Morgana missed her big brother and looked forward to holidays and vacations when she would be seeing him, but found the companionship of Jon and JJ. comforting with him away.

Morgana really liked the friends she had made, but in some ways, was unsure of where things stood. As an ‘outsider’ looking at the individuals involved, she could see that Hattie was carrying a torch for Jon and yet there was an obvious closeness with JJ. She could see that JJ preferred Hattie’s company over all others. She could also see that Jon considered Hattie a close friend, but that he treated her like a sister, much the same way he treated Lara.

Now, Lara had a boyfriend, but he was all the way across country in California, but they did correspond and saw each other on holidays and vacations. Morgana envied Lara her relationship. She didn’t know if she would be able to handle being separated from a boyfriend by three thousand miles, but Lara seemed to be handling it well.

Morgana found that she was attracted to the quiet, unassuming, Jon Kent. She knew that Hattie was attracted to him, but that he didn’t reciprocate the interest. In some ways he was treating her the same way, but there were hints that there might possibly be more there. Her interest only grew as time went on and she wondered more and more what it would be like to date Jon. She had never been one to make the first move, so she limited herself to expressing interest and dropping the occasional oblique hint.

At the end of the fourth week of the school year, Saturday, October 1st was the first game for the Wildcats and the team had gotten the year off to a good start with a win.

Eight weeks into the school year though, things changed.

Down a side corridor nestled in between a pair of classrooms was a door. On the door was a sign. The sign read, “Wildcat’s Lair - Authorized Personnel Only!”

Behind that door, in the old supply closet that had been converted into the school newspaper office, Hattie and Morgana were discussing their investigation.

They made a stark contrast. Hattie was a petite red head with piercing blue eyes and a fiery disposition. Morgana was a bit taller with light brown hair with blond streaks from being in the sun with large, brown doe eyes.

They were talking about an investigation that they had started as a result of an anomaly that Hattie had picked up on.

Hattie said, “I think we have proven that there has been collusion on the part of some of the members of the football team to steal the answers to algebra exams. So, you think we need to speak with Ms. Spargo.”

Nodding, Morgana replied, “I think we do and when we do, I have an idea I’d like to propose.”

“What is it?”

“Let me propose it to her and see what she thinks.”

“Okay, it’s your idea. Let’s go see her.”

Packing up their evidence they went to see Ms. Spargo. She was in her classroom, but there were no students.

Sticking her head in the door, Hattie asked, “Ms. Spargo, can Morgana and I have a moment of your time?”

Ms. Spargo, closed her grade book and turning to the door, said, “Sure, come on in. The two of you are among my better students. I always have time for you.”

As they entered, Morgana closed the door behind them.

Hattie acted as spokesperson, “Ms. Spargo, we are here from The Wildcat’s Den, the school paper.”

Ms. Spargo smiled and asked, “Ah, so this isn’t a social call or an attempt to get some hints on the latest homework assignment. What can I do for the members of the fourth estate?”

Morgana said, “Ms. Spargo, we have been tracking the grades as they are posted for all of the classes. We know, from personal experience, just how tough algebra can be, maybe a little tougher than some other courses. We noticed something that piqued our curiosity.”

“Oh, what would that be?”

“Well, there are five members of the football team that are all passing algebra and have gotten identical scores on all of the last five quizzes.”

“And?”

“Don’t you think it odd that they should all get the same score?”

Ms. Spargo looked at the door, making sure that it in fact was closed. Once so assured, she said, “I don’t want this to get into the paper, at least not yet, so, off the record?”

Hattie and Morgana both nodded.

“Okay, well, as a matter of fact, I did think it was odd. It wasn’t until the fifth quiz that I noticed that particular phenomena. That was when I pulled out the original answer sheets and started comparing them. In each case, the same answers were missed by each of the five. Now, there is a possibility that they study together, but to miss the exact same questions, somehow I don’t think that explains it.”

“Do you keep your answer key on the school’s computer system?”

“No, I guess I’m old fashioned. I have the test and the key on paper. I find it easier to grade the quizzes that way. By having the problem worked out on paper, I can not only check the answer, but I can see how the student arrived at the answer they gave.”

Morgana was eager to see where this had led and asked, “What’d you find?”

Ms. Spargo, looked around again and then in a conspiratorial tone said, “Almost identical.”

Hattie offered, “If the work is right, it should all look the same.”

“Yes, I agree, but all of the errors were in the same places.”

“Do you think someone got hold of your answer key?”

“I don’t see how. I keep it locked up in my desk.”

Hattie was tempted to show Ms. Spargo just how easily she could pick the lock on her desk, but decided that she didn’t want to put herself in that position.

She was saved from revealing that skill when Morgana suggested, “How about installing an ‘IP Nanny-Cam’? That way, if someone accessed the papers, you’d know who it was.” She looked around and spotted a chart on the wall. Pointing at it, she said, “It could be placed behind that chart. It would have a clear field of view of your desk and probably wouldn’t be noticed. You could monitor it on your home computer.”

Adding to it, Hattie suggested, “You could also make up a fake answer key with enough wrong answers so that if it is used they fail.”

Ms. Spargo, looked back and forth, between Hattie and Morgana, started to smile and said, “I like the way you girls think.”

Hattie smiled and said, “It’s the kind of thing my mentor would do.”

Ms. Spargo asked, “You are being mentored? In what? By whom?”

Hattie smiled and replied, “Yes, I am. I’m learning to be an investigative reporter from Lois Lane the best investigative reporter there ever has been.”

“Well, I must say, she is teaching you well.”

Hattie could only smile. “Once the trap has been sprung, can we have the story for the school paper?”

“I don’t see why not. I’ll try to have everything ready before the next quiz. That’s scheduled for next week.”

“I think I know someone that can help set up the IP Nanny-Cam.”

“Who would that be?”

“Another one of your students, James Olsen Junior. His father is very good with computers and JJ has learned a lot from him.”

“Thanks for the suggestion, but he’s on the team. Wouldn’t he warn the other guys?”

With confidence, Hattie replied, “No, he doesn’t like cheaters any more than I do. Besides, he’s on the paper too. He’s a real law and order guy. If there is cheating going on he will want the perpetrators caught.”

“As long as you are sure of him, I’ll trust him.”

“We’ll go talk to him and let you know.”

Hattie and Morgana left and returned to the Wildcat’s Lair office.

When they arrived Jon and JJ were both there.

As they entered, JJ and Jon both looked up from what they were studying and smiled. Hattie and Morgana both smiled back and Morgana said, “JJ, just the person we were looking for.”

“Oh, what’s up, Morgana?”

Morgana replied, “We need to set up a Nanny-Cam.”

JJ replied, “No problem. I’ve helped my dad set up a few of them.” Teasingly he said, “Aren’t you a little old to have a nanny? Or is it to check on you and not your nanny?”

Morgana gave a sour expression and said, “Poor joke. It isn’t for me or my parents, it’s for Ms. Spargo.”

Surprised, JJ blurted out, “The algebra teacher? I didn’t think she had any kids at home. I have heard of people setting them up to monitor their pets…”

Morgana interrupted him, “This isn’t for her home. It’s for here, at school, her classroom.”

“Whoa, her classroom? Why?”

Hattie stepped in, “Here’s the story. We’ve been looking at the quiz grades and we think there’s something fishy going on. Bud Kyle and his four cronies have all gotten the exact same grade on each of the last 5 quizzes.”

Jon, always one to try to see the best in people suggested, “Maybe they are just studying together. That could explain it.”

Morgana answered, “Maybe, but they are all getting the same questions wrong. That goes beyond simply studying together.”

Nodding, JJ said, “Sounds fishy to me too.”

Morgana pressed, “Then you’ll help out?”

JJ replied, “Sure. I think dad has a spare IP Webcam at the house. I’ll borrow that.”

“That’s wonderful. How soon could you bring it in to set up?”

“I don’t know, Hattie, maybe as early as tomorrow. What does Ms. Spargo want to do with it?”

“She wants to set it up in a concealed location that overlooks her desk. She thinks that someone is copying her answer key. She keeps it in her desk.”

“I think her room is empty during the fifth period tomorrow.”

“That should work. I have a study hall that period and I can just tell the monitor that I’m getting some help from her on an assignment. I can use the school’s Wi-Fi. I’ll just need a power source nearby.”

Morgana supplied, “There’s a poster on her wall that the cam can be hidden behind and there’s a wall outlet below it.”

“Sounds ideal. I’ll set it up tomorrow.”

Over the weekend, after dark, Jack, one of Bud’s cronies, snuck onto the school grounds. His destination was a window into the basement that he had used many times before. Opening the window, he crawled through and lowered himself to the floor, silently. He used a mini-flashlight so that he didn’t trip over anything that might be in his path, but he masked it with two fingers leaving only a slim slot for the light to come through. Once he was out of that basement storage room he stealthily made his way to the stairs and ascended them to the second floor. Now that he was in, he wasn’t too worried. There wasn’t a roving guard or anything. Making his way to Ms. Spargo’s room, he let himself in.

Reaching into his pocket he pulled out a key that he had made and unlocked her desk. Pulling out the contents, he used his flashlight to examine them. He stuck the base of the flashlight in his mouth so that he could use two hands and his face was illuminated by the backwash of the light reflected from the papers. Finding what he was looking for, he pulled out his cell phone and used the camera to photograph the pages.

Once he was finished, he replaced the papers, as well as he could remember they had been placed, closed and re-locked the drawer. Shielding his flashlight once again, he retraced his steps to the storage room and out of the building.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 10/19/16 02:51 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj