Winner Takes All
Folc4evernaday
Part 27

Six Weeks Later…

The honeymoon was over. Lois lightly bumped Clark’s hip in the elevator as they waited for the elevator car to arrive on the newsroom floor. She had to fight the urge to fling her arms around him and have him take her right here in the elevator just as he had a few months ago.
She rested her hands on her growing abdomen. Even at almost seven months pregnant she was hardly showing. With the right jacket and skirt she was able to pull off professional attire without drawing too much attention to the growth that was inside of her.

She was a bit concerned with the lack of growth the baby was showing. Her doctor’s appointment was this afternoon and hopefully she’d be able to find out what was going on. They’d had one visit during their honeymoon. The baby had appeared to be growing perfectly.

She hadn’t told Clark about her concerns. He was already enough of a mother hen as it was. He’d only left her side to do his patrols, but otherwise was by her side 24/7. Their honeymoon had been spent at a remote resort in the mountains away from the chaos of Metropolis. Besides the obvious lovemaking activities they had busied themselves with exploring the resort and just enjoying one another’s company outside of the chaos their jobs put them through.

The elevator was so slow and Clark was so close. She could smell his cologne…

If only they were alone in the elevator. Why had that mail clerk gotten on the elevator with them?

DING

Lois breathed a sigh of relief when the elevator arrived at the mailroom. The mail clerk left, rolling his cart with him off the elevator. Lois waited patiently for the doors to close then turned to Clark; who met her just as eagerly as she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him in for a passionate kiss.

“Finally.” Lois murmured, arching her neck to allow Clark better access as he nibbled at her neckline. “Oh, Clark right there…”

“I don’t know how we’re going to make it through the day..” He whispered tugging at her earlobe. He held her tightly to him as he continued his ministrations.

“I don’t know…” He recaptured her lips, holding her securely against his solid form. She could already feel his growing body responding to hers. “Oh, Clark…”

DING

All too soon, they arrived at the newsroom floor. Unembarrassed, Clark slowly broke off the kiss, ignoring the cat calls from the newsroom as they stepped off the elevator.

“Well, look who finally decided to show up to work.” Ralph teased. “Damn, you two not get enough? You’ve been gone for six weeks!”

“Don’t you have a politician to investigate or something?” Lois asked as she walked towards her desk with Clark.

“Lois, CK, great to see you!” Jimmy cheered when he saw them at their desks.

“Hey, Jimmy.” Lois smiled at him, happy to see a friendly face. It was time to get back to work.

“Lois?” Clark called from the living room, “we’ve got to get going,”

“Just a sec!” She called. She eyed herself critically in the mirror. In the past month, she had had to go up a few sizes in wardrobe in order to accommodate the changes her body had taken on. She hadn’t seen a huge change to her abdomen but her breasts had definitely doubled in size, warranting larger tops, bras, and dresses. She wore a long burgundy dress with spaghetti straps and a criss-cross design along the open back with spaghetti straps as well. The neckline dipped down just enough to show the swell of her bust and the dress had a long slit up to her knee. The small bump was only noticeable when you looked for it. She was still a bit nervous about telling everyone. She couldn’t put her finger on it but something scared her about telling everyone. They still hadn’t even come up with a name yet. They hadn’t found a place yet. There was so much left to do…

“Lois?” Clark’s voice echoed through the bedroom door once more.

“Well, this should do.” She said turning towards the living room to answer the door. “What do you think?.” She asked, opening the door as she brushed past him to gather her things.

Clark stood outside the bedroom door dumbstruck, “Wow…Lois, you look….incredible.”

She blushed at the compliment, “You sure it’s not too tight?” She asked, tugging at the waist.

“No.” He shook his head, stepping into the bedroom to get a better look, “You look gorgeous.”

She eyed him appreciatively. He didn’t look too bad himself. He wore a dark charcoal suit. He seemed to fill it perfectly in all the right places. “Not so bad yourself.” She winked. “We should get going.”

“So, what exactly does this ‘Bibbo’ look like?” Lois asked as they walked through the Press Club doors. She checked her purse in and headed towards the dining area with Clark on her arm.

“You’ll know him when you see him,” Clark said. “He’s a short guy with a round belly and he’s got a mouth on him.”

“So, pretty much most of the guys that work at the National Inquirer would fit the bill?” Lois joked.

Clark laughed, “Probably.”

Lois examined the surroundings more critically. “It’s been ages since I’ve been here. They’ve certainly lived things up since then.”

“Well, I’ve never been here before,” Clark said. “The membership here was just another part of the huge stack of paperwork Perry gave me to fill out when I started.”

Lois groaned. “You’re not missing much. It’s just where all the guys go to get trashed at the end of the week and compare how horrible their lives are. You wouldn’t fit in.” She laughed.

He eyed her appreciatively. “No, definitely not,” Clark whispered, leaning in to kiss her. She smiled against his lips, tracing the outline of his mouth with her tongue as she deepened the kiss.
He slowly broke off the kiss. “You know the baby’s heart beat races whenever we do that.” He whispered in her ear.

Lois looked down at the shadow of a bump on her abdomen, “Is that normal?” She asked concerned.

“I think so.” He said reassuringly. “I read somewhere that the heart rate of a fetus fluctuates throughout the different stages of pregnancy; especially in the third trimester.” Lois gave him a curious glance, “I’ve been reading a few books.” He explained.

“Lois, Clark, this is a surprise.” Linda King said, walking up to them.

“Linda,” Lois said coolly, turning to face the blonde. She kept a possessive hand on Clark’s shoulder as they spoke. Lois noticed with disgust Linda was wearing a designer dress showing off way too much bust and leg for her taste and she really didn’t like the way Linda kept eying Clark like a piece of meat.

Linda offered them a smile, “I would have thought you’d never come back here after what happened.”

Lois just stared coldly at Linda, “I don’t know what you’re talking about. What are you doing here? Trying to interfere in another investigation?”

“No. It just so happens I’m here with my date.” Linda replied coolly.

“Really? Is he invisible?” Lois asked sarcastically.

Linda sighed, “I’ll introduce you. Follow me.” She gestured. Lois rolled her eyes as she and Clark followed Linda towards the bar. “I love your dress, Lois. You’re so lucky. I can never wear anything off the rack.” Linda said casually as she led them through the crowd. Lois glared at her. Clark placed a reassuring hand on the small of her back.

To their surprise, Linda stopped in front of Martin Snell, “Linda,” He beamed.

“Martin,” Linda gave him a peck on the cheek.

Martin Snell smiled, placing an arm around her waist, “I am at a loss for words to describe her.”

“Oh, I could help you there,” Lois said.

Linda glared at Lois then turned to introduce them, “Martin, I’d like you to meet Clark Kent, a reporter for the Daily Planet. And Lois Lane, his date. Clark, Lois, Martin Snell.”

“Pleasure to meet you,” Martin said, shaking Clark’s hand.

“Likewise, but Lois and I are actually a reporting TEAM for the Planet.” Clark clarified, mildly ticked at the way Linda had downplayed Lois’ credentials.

“And much more I see,” Martin said, eying the ring on Lois’ hand. Linda arched an eyebrow as she examined Lois’ wedding band critically. “Congratulations.” He said lifting up a glass of bourbon to toast.

“Uh, thank you,” Lois said hesitantly.

The band began to play and Martin led Linda towards the dance floor. “Martin Snell?” Clark asked.

“Could be just a coincidence.” Lois reasoned skeptically.

“Maybe.” Clark said, turning back towards the bar, “But there is Bibbo Bigowski.” He said, pointing towards the other end of the bar.

Mrs. Cox sat outside the Metropolis Press Club dressed to kill….literally. She wore a black evening gown with a small knife strapped to her inner thigh and several other blades strapped beneath her dress. Her information regarding Intergang had led her to Martin Snell. Mr. Luthor had told her to take care of this personally. So she was taking care of him personally.

“Damn! What’d I do to get a look from someone like you?” Bibbo asked when Lois took a seat next to him.

She held out her hand for him, “Lois Lane. Daily Planet.” She gestured towards Clark behind them, “I believe you’ve already met my partner, Mr. Kent.”

“Oh, yeah,” Bibbo recalled. “You was with that dame…uh, Leona..or Lisa...” He trailed off confused.

“Linda King.” Lois supplied. “Mr. Bigowski, we need some information.”

“Look, I told you everything I knows,” Bibbo said, holding his hands up in defense.

“Intergang is known for using that drug, ‘Revenge’; not the Metros,” Clark said, taking a seat. “Are you sure you don’t have anything else to tell us?”

“I don’t know.” He shrugged. “I heard a lot of my information from my regulars. You know how they likes to share their stories….who banged who. That sorta thing…You know guy stuff.”

“Who gave you the information about the Metros?” Clark asked.

“I don’t know….My guys…they expect me to keep tight lipped…you know.”

Lois placed a hand on his arm, “Please, Mr. Bigowski? It would really mean a lot to us.”

He caved. “You’re good.” He said, wagging a finger at her. “Red Dixon….He’s a regular. He comes in at my bar at least once a week.”

Lois pulled out her card, “The next time he comes in. Give us a call.” She stood up from her seat then leaned over to whisper to Clark, “I’ll be right back.”

Clark nodded and followed her with his eyes. “Ah, young love.” Bibbo sighed. “Hold on to that one. You got a keeper there.”

“I plan on it.” Clark smiled.

“What? Are you following me?” Linda asked when Lois exited from one of the stalls.

Lois rolled her eyes, “You are not worth my time, Linda.” Lois sighed, leaning against the vanity to wash her hands.

“So, married, huh?” Linda continued. “What makes you think he won’t dump you like yesterday’s news when he finds something better?”

Lois glared at her. “Jealousy is so unbecoming, don’t you think?” She spotted the red stain on Linda’s dress. “What happened? Can’t balance between drinking and dancing?”

Linda laughed. “Now I’m jealous? You know, I’m surprised you were even able to get a guy like Clark. I mean, face it, Lois. You don’t exactly scream sex appeal….Now, Clark on the other hand…”

“I’m warning you, Linda, you stay the hell away from him…” Lois turned to face her.

“I’m not going anywhere near your husband, Lois, but if you remember I didn’t have to go near your boyfriend last time…He came willingly.” Linda sneered. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to get back to my date.” With that, she left Lois to ponder what she had just said.

Outside the Metropolis Press Club, Mrs. Cox loaded Martin Snell’s unconscious body into the trunk of her car. “Piece of cake.” She muttered. “Like taking candy from a baby.”

With that she slammed the trunk closed and slipped behind the wheel, pulling away from the club and headed towards Southside district.

TBC..

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube