Winner Takes All
Folc4evernaday
Part 25
One Week Later…

As the week progressed more and more wedding preparations began taking shape as Lois and Clark juggled their time between their Intergang investigation and the wedding preparations.
“What a week.” Clark murmured.

“And it’s not over yet.” Lois continued. “I have to go shopping with my mother…” She gave a shuddered at the thought.

Clark laughed. “I’m sure everything will be fine. I’m glad Perry’s been so lenient with the wedding plans.”

“I think he’s afraid of telling my mother ‘no’ and releasing hurricane Lane on the newsroom,” Lois explained wryly.

Clark gave a weak smile. “She is a handful.”

Lois nodded, curling up against him. “Yeah.” She leaned in to kiss him. “She’s a stickler for details.” She smiled against his lips when he pulled her onto his lap, deepening the kiss. “I wish we could just do this all day..” She sighed as he whispered a kiss along her neck.

“Mmmm hmmm.” He nodded, nipping at her earlobe. “How long do we have until you have to leave?”

Lois glanced at the clock on the wall. She could feel the evidence of his arousal against her thigh. “Enough time.” She whispered, tugging on the knot of his tie.
Lois sighed happily as Clark pulled her to him, wrapping his arms around her. Their limbs were still intertwined together as they laid together with a silly grin on their faces, recalling their recent lovemaking on the bed…the couch…and the shower when she’d been trying to finish getting ready. Her hair was still wet from her attempt at a shower…

“Your couch is so much more comfortable than mine.” Lois sighed, wrapping her arms more securely around Clark.

“Well I usually shop based on comfort; not style,” Clark explained.

“Mine was a gift,” Lois said dryly. “I don’t want to move.” She whined. Clark leaned down to capture her mouth eliciting a moan of approval from her. “I love you, Clark Kent. I can’t wait until we’re officially married and can take a vacation for the sole purpose of making love day and night.”

Clark groaned his approval, recapturing her mouth with his own. She squealed in delight as he scooped them into his arms and carried them back towards the bedroom. “Wait…I have to get ready….” Lois argued as he walked them into the bedroom. ”Clark!”

Clark’s head jerked up and he stared in awe in the direction Lois’ arm was pointing. The entire room was illuminated by a light streaming from the wooden box on his bookshelf, the locked, wooden box that was now floating in mid-air. He lowered Lois onto the bed and grabbed a small key from his side table.

He moved cautiously towards the floating box and floated up to reach for it and unlock it’s contents. The globe he had taken from the Bureau 39 warehouse floated into his grasp. He felt his knees begin to weaken at the contact, and floated himself back down, allowing his feet to make contact with the carpeted floor of his apartment.

“Clark?” Lois’ voice penetrated through his reverie, placing a supportive hand on his shoulder.

The globe began to change shape. A brilliant white light flared through the room. A life-size hologram of an elderly man wearing a white tunic with Clark’s “S” shield on the chest appeared from the light. Clark stared in awe, holding Lois close to him as he allowed his mind to take the implications of the image before him in. Who was this man? Why was he wearing the same “S” shield that his mother and father had found on him so many years ago?

The man spoke. His voice was calm, “My name is Jor-El. And you are Kal-El, my son. The object you hold has been attuned to you. That you hear these words now is proof that you survived the journey in space and have reached your full maturity. Now it is time you learn our heritage. To that end, I will appear to you five times. Watch for the light, listen, and learn.”

There was another flash of light as the image showed the man standing beside a young woman. Machinery surrounded them as they looked at what appeared to be some sort of advanced computer system. The man’s voice narrated the scene as it unfolded. “Time grows short and we continue to search. The immensity of space is that near infinite variety there must be some place suitable. Hope and desperation drive us in equal measure.” The young woman beside him gestured towards a capsule; its contents were invisible to them. “Lara works by my side. She is tireless and endlessly patient. Considering what is soon to come, that is my great consolation: that we are together.” A tremor shook the lab; indicators on the console flared. Jor-El took Lara in his arms. The tremor subsided.

The flash of light diminished back inside the globe and disappeared. The globe now retained the different form it had taken during the message. Clark stared at the globe for a long moment.

“Clark?” Lois placed a cautious hand on his cheek. What had just happened? She was surprised to find a stray tear falling down his cheek.

His expression was numb as he continued to stare at the globe. “Kal-El?” He seemed to pull himself out of his daze and looked towards her. “Are you okay?” He placed the globe on the bookshelf and turned to face her. She smiled at him.

“I’m fine. A little overwhelmed. You?”

“All my life I’ve had all these questions; now I’m finally going to get some answers.” He wrapped his arms around her, holding her close against his chest.

Realizing his need for comfort, she leaned up to wrap her arms around him. The echo of insistent knocking reached their ears and she sighed, “Who is that?”

Clark scanned the front door and grimaced. “I guess your mother’s looking for you.”

“Great.” Lois groaned.

“Lois, you look so beautiful!!” Ellen gushed.

“Mom, I don’t know about this…” Lois eyed herself critically in the full-length mirror. She had never seen so many ribbons in all her life.

“But, Lois…” Lois was already walking back towards the dressing room. “She never listens to me,” Ellen muttered.

“Mom, relax,” Lucy said soothingly. She headed towards the dressing room to check on Lois. “You need some help?”

Lois poked her head out of the dressing room, “Find me a dress with no bows or ribbons or….MOM…”

“Got it. Nice and simple.” Lucy turned towards the racks of wedding gowns behind her and began going through them. Lois and Ellen had been arguing over the wedding gowns all afternoon. It was obvious when they had tracked her down to Clark’s apartment that they had interrupted something. Lois was wearing one of Clark’s sweatshirts and a pair of jeans that fit a bit too loose around her hips—Obviously not hers. Her hair was soaking wet and she had a reddened mark on her neck—Obviously, something had been going on. She hadn’t said anything when Lois insisted on stopping by the apartment to change.

Lace, silk, beaded fabric. No ribbons. Hopefully, Lois would like these. Their mother’s taste in clothes left a lot to be desired. She didn’t blame her for refusing to wear that awful dress. It looked like a nightmare prom dress rather than a wedding gown.

“Here you go, Lois.” Lucy handed her an armful of gowns. “Try these on.”

“Thanks,” Lois called out through the door.

“Lucy, look what I found!” Ellen showed her a pink dress with several ribbons and bows along the waistline. “Isn’t it perfect for a bridesmaid dress?”

“No…” Lucy shook her head. “Mom, I think Lois should be the one to decide on some of this stuff. She is the bride…”

“But…”

“No, please, just relax ….”

“Okay, what do you think?” Lois asked, walking out to the waiting area.

Lucy looked towards Lois. She was wearing a long white gown with lace beaded along the waistline; sheer fabric along the train of the gown. The sleeves were a simple spaghetti strap with a lace pattern along the front.

“Wow, Lois, you look beautiful…” Lucy surveyed her sister, walking around her so she could get a better view.

“Are you sure?” Lois asked, looking at herself critically.

“This is the one.”

“But it’s…” Ellen pointed out. “It’s too…”

“Simple?” Lois and Lucy asked in unison.

“Yes.”

“We’ll get this one,” Lois said to the saleswoman.

“Wonderful,” the saleswoman gushed.
One Week Later…

The LNN newscaster showed images of a plane flying in the air over a map of Italy. “We are now getting a report that the Seven-Ninety-Seven is making it’s last circle before it attempts a landing at the Florence International Airport. It’s a giant airliner with it’s landing gear and wing flaps inoperative.”

Perry looked around the newsroom as Lois and Clark stepped off the elevator. He waved them over. Lois nodded, noticing the uneasy silence in the newsroom. “Airliner is trying to land in Florence,” he said gruffly.

“Oh, my..” Lois gasped, watching the scene unfold in front of her. She glanced back at Clark and he nodded, heading for the stairwell. At Perry and Jimmy’s look, “I forgot to grab my …Apricosa…”

“Uh-huh,” Perry nodded, giving her an odd look like he knew she wasn’t telling the whole story.

“It’s a new diet.” She explained with a smile, hoping she could charm her way out of the ridiculous excuse she just gave.

“…and instead of a lone American pilot, there are 120 passengers and a crew of ten living this last hour in the cold fear of a possible violent death. They’re only three minutes from touchdown.” The LNN newscaster continued with the report, “We now have an LNN reporter on the scene. Let’s see if we can go to their satellite feed.”

Lois held her hands together, praying Clark was able to get there in time.

Clark soared through the sky, ricocheting himself towards the plane as it made it’s final circle. He slowed himself down as he approached, grabbing the left wing as he tried to slow the plane down to help steady it.

All of a sudden he felt a jolt and suddenly the plane felt lighter…almost like someone was helping him.

“Look!” Jimmy pointed at the screen excited as Superman was on the screen, grabbing the left wing of the plane.

“Thank God!” Lois gasped.

“I don’t believe it,” Perry sighed. “Great shades of Elvis!”

“What’s Superman doing in Florence?” Jimmy asked.

“This just in. Superman, the famed Man of Steel from Metropolis, is flying alongside the stricken airliner…” The LNN newscaster continued. “Superman is setting the aircraft down, gently as a feather. It’s almost on the ground…and now…he’s done it! The plane is safe! Superman has saved the day!”

The newsroom erupted in cheers as the screen then went back to the newscaster, reporting on the coverage.

“All right, everyone, get moving! Robins get on with Florence International and let’s get a follow-up on the save for the afternoon edition. Jimmy grab a copy of this coverage and get me stills for page one! Ralph, get in contact with your guy at the Federal Aviation Administration and see what you can find out on why the plane had issues. Who is at fault? Lois, you and Clark get in touch with Superman and get me an exclusive. What was he doing in Florence?

He smiled as everyone scrambled to begin getting on top of the story, “I love the smell of fear in the newsroom!”

Lois sighed, taking Clark’s hand as she leaned back in the hospital bed with Clark next to her. “Ready?” The Ultrasound Technician asked.

“Yep,” Lois sighed, nervously. They were going to find out what their baby was today. She looked down at her abdomen. She still wasn’t growing at nearly the rate she thought she should. She was just a few weeks past twenty weeks and she was nervous. The doctors had reassured her everything seemed normal but both she and Clark were nervous about the anatomy scan.

The technician lifted up her gown and pulled out a white tube of gel and rubbed it on Lois’ abdomen, “Cold?” she asked when she saw Lois jump.

“Just a little,” Lois smiled. She was getting used to the cold gel.

The technician took a small tube and began rolling it against her abdomen. Immediately the room filled with the loud thumping. “Good heart beat,” she smiled at Lois.

Lois looked over at Clark who was watching the screen the technician had just pulled up with a broad grin. That was their baby. Their beautiful little baby. It was amazing. Even though she didn’t show very much on the outside their little Lane-Kent was definitely growing. You could clearly see the head and arms and legs as the baby moved on the screen.

“I wouldn’t worry too much about the growth. Some women don’t gain that much weight when they’re pregnant…especially with a first pregnancy.” The technician said. “It looks like everything’s developing normally. All the tests have been passed with flying colors; so I don’t think we have anything to worry about.” The ultrasound technician said as she looked at the screen. “I think we might even be able to tell what it is.” She looked back at Lois and Clark, “Do you want to know?”

“Yes.” Lois said impatiently. Clark smiled down at her and nodded his agreement.

“Well, let’s see here.” She squinted at the screen and smiled. A moment later she pressed a few more buttons to zoom in. “It looks like you are the proud parents of a baby boy. Congratulations. I’ll be right back.” She left the room, leaving Lois and Clark to their privacy.

“A boy?” Lois asked in a light whisper. Tears escaped from the corners of her eyes. She looked down at her goo-covered abdomen and smiled.

“I love you so much, sweetheart,” Clark whispered in her ear. She turned to face him, capturing his mouth with a passionate kiss.

The technician cleared her throat when she reentered the room. “I have your sonogram prints right here.” She handed them the prints. “Just get dressed and the doctor will meet with you shortly.”

“Thank you.” Lois said.

The technician nodded and then left. Lois sighed, resting her hands on her growing abdomen. “You okay?” Clark asked.

“Never better.” She whispered. “I just…wow.” She gave him a lopsided smile.

He leaned down to kiss her. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” She whispered.

“I don’t know,” Clark sighed, walking with her to her apartment door, carrying the bakery box she’d picked up on the way home to the kitchen. “It was almost like there was someone…helping me.”

“Helping you?” Lois asked quizzically, following him to the kitchen. “What do you mean?”

“All of a sudden the plane got lighter.” He sighed, raking a hand through his hair. He looked down at the box, “What is this?”

“Wedding cake samples,” she smiled.

“Cake samples?” Clark asked curiously. “I thought we decided on chocolate,”

“There is more than just one kind of chocolate…” She whispered a kiss against his lips, “…milk…dark….mint….”

“Did you pick out a dress?”

“Maybe.” She teased. “It was ….a challenge, but we finally got mom on board….I think.” She laughed, “If Lucy hadn’t have been there I’d have lost it.”

“Thank God for Lucy, huh?” Clark smiled.

“You don’t know the half of it,” Lois said, popping a square sample in his mouth.

“Mmmm…” Clark moaned when the chocolate cake hit his taste buds.

“Good, isn’t it?” Lois asked, licking the frosting off his fingers.

“Mmm hmmm…” Clark leaned in to kiss her.

“Mmmm... Delicious.” Lois whispered against his lips. “This is a good way to sample the cake.”

“Mmmm… Which flavor was that?”

“Simply Chocolate,” Lois replied. “Twenty-two more flavors to go.”

“Clark!” Lois shrieked in laughter. Clark lowered her onto the kitchen counter, nibbling at the cake crumbs that remained on her skin.

“Have to be very thorough.” Clark whispered, nibbling at the swell of her breasts as he unbuttoned her blouse. “You are so beautiful.” He murmured, pushing past the fabric of her blouse.

“Oh, God…” She moaned. She tugged at his shirt tail, pulling it over his head.

“Lois…” His lips whispered against her abdomen as he marveled at the growth beneath her skin. This was their child, growing inside her. The thumping of the small heart beat beneath her skin reached his ears and he smiled against her skin as he pushed her jeans down her legs.

“Clark..” Her body arched against the countertop when he lowered his lips to her inner thigh.

“I love you.” He whispered.

Clark walked up the steps to his apartment slightly deflated. He had gotten used to coming home with Lois; either to her place or his. Once they were married they would be coming home to their place. When he had returned to the Planet she had left to run a few errands with her mother.

His apartment seemed darker without Lois. It was strange. There was nothing obvious that made the apartment less livable; or uninviting. Where ever he was; without Lois, it seemed smaller or darker in some way.

He sank onto the bed. The pillow smelled of her perfume. He smiled wryly. There was no going back. He was madly in love with this woman and he wouldn’t have it any other way. Their wedding was in two days. He would be married to Lois Lane in two days.

A bright light illuminated the room, catching him by surprise. He looked towards the source. The globe. He reached up for it as the object hung midair; floating above him. The familiar man that had introduced himself as Jor-El, his father, appeared once more.

“This is the second of the five times I will appear. You may wonder that I speak your language and not my native Kryptonian. I don’t. That is another property of this object. Unmanned Kryptonian probes have explored every corner of the known galaxy and beyond.”

A flash of white light illuminated the room once more, revealing Jor-El next to the woman he had identified as Lara. They are standing side by side working over a very familiar looking capsule.

“For thousands of centuries, we have received data back from those probes. I have every confidence that, given enough time, we can achieve the conversion to a manned vessel. But will we have the time?”

Another tremor with more intensity and duration than the last one that had been shown in the previous message rocked the room. Jor-El and Lara held onto one another for support until the shaking ended. When it finally stopped Lara moved towards the capsule to glance inside. There was a familiar expression on her face. He had seen that look before. It was the same look Lois had when she was anguishing over decisions regarding their child.

“The pattern of core disintegration continues to accelerate. Even I cannot predict when it will end. There is an ancient Kryptonian saying: ‘On a long road, take small steps.’ Precision and care are our watchwords. Yet, we still have far to go.” The pained expression in Jor-El’s eyes rocked Clark to the core. This man that was his father cared so deeply about telling him about his heritage. He still was unsure what Lara and Jor-El were working on in the hologram. Was it an experiment to try and stop the core disintegration; or was it an escape plan?

He felt fresh tears fall down his face when the hologram stopped. He dropped the globe once more on the bed. Hesitantly he reached out to touch the globe once more. Nothing. It was cold to his touch; just as it had always been.

“We’ve already picked out a minister, the location for the ceremony, the cake…” He wiggled his eyebrows at the mention of the cake. Her cheeks flushed at the memory of how they had tested each sample of chocolate cake the night before. “You have your dress. I’ve already got my tux. My parents are coming in next week…”

Lois smiled sadly, “Perry said he’d step in since mom wasn’t able to get ahold of daddy,”

“I’m sorry,” Clark sighed, taking a seat next to her.

“His loss,” She sighed, “It’ll be perfect without him anyway. Less drama,” She leaned up to kiss him. He was just about to pull her down to deepen the kiss when a bright light shone through the room.

Lois looked up and saw the box that held his globe floating above them. Clark floated them upward to retrieve the globe, removing it from the box. “Which one is this?” Lois asked.

“Number five,” Clark whispered.

A flash of white light emitted through the room and Jor-El appeared once more. “We have installed the hyper-light drive and tested it as best we can. So much is unknown.”

The image showed Jor-El and Lara placing the globe on the console that looked familiar from before. “Contained within the sphere is the navigational computer that will guide the ship through the maze of hyperspace, as well as this account of our final days.” The image showed Jor-El and Lara looking down at a young baby inside the console of what now appears to be a ship. “All is in readiness. We have selected the ship’s exact destination on Earth and programmed it into the computer.” Jor-El’s face softened, “We give you to Earth, to a realm called America, and a place called Kansas. Remember us, but do not regret our passing, my dear son. I try to picture where you are now as you hear this last chapter. What you must look like? Are you alone? What have you become? Lara and I will never know. But that you should live to experience this ….that is enough. We are content.” The tears in Jor-El’s eyes broke Clark’s heart. How a parent could say goodbye to a child like this he didn’t know. He didn’t know how he would ever find the strength. “Kal-El, our child. Under Earth’s sun; your Kryptonian heritage will give you powers and abilities no Kryptonian has ever had. You are the last of Krypton. The last of the house of El. Carry this with you in your heart; hopefully one day a child of yours may know where it all began.”

With that the globe fell from his hand, resting on the bed in front of them. “Clark?” Lois placed a hand on his shoulder.

“I have no idea how…” His voice cracked. “How do you record a message like this; knowing you’re saying goodbye to your child. I don’t know that I would have that kind of strength. All these years I thought I was abandoned. They saved me.” He wrapped his arms around Lois, pulling her to him.

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube