Winner Takes All
Folc4evernaday
Part 24

One Week Later…

Clark watched as Lois grabbed an outfit and headed for the bathroom to get ready. She seemed to be more and more tired lately as the pregnancy progressed. Thankfully the nausea had subsided but the exhaustion had kicked in full-force. When he’d arrived at her apartment this morning she was just waking up.

He headed for the kitchen to try to fix something for them for breakfast and laughed when he saw the slim pickings that were in her pantry and refrigerator. Three eggs, half a gallon of milk and flour and sugar and some butter. He sighed, looking at the time. At super-speed, he mixed up a batch of dough for biscuits and began to cook them with his heat vision. Just as he finished the phone rang and he sighed, reaching for the phone, “Hello?”

“Who is this?” Ellen Lane asked on the other end of the phone.

“Oh, hi, Ms. Lane. This is Clark Kent.”

“Clark? Where’s Lois?” Ellen asked accusingly.

“Uh, she’s in the shower.”

“In the shower? Always running late I tell you.” Ellen muttered. “I think she does it on purpose. She never called to schedule lunch. How am I supposed to start planning everything when I don’t have a clue when you two are planning on getting married? You ARE getting married, correct?” Ellen asked, accusingly.

“Um, yes…” He began hesitantly, unsure of what to make of Ellen’s tirade.

“Then why hasn’t Lois called me? It’s been over a week! Oh, that is just so like her. Always leaving me out of everything….”

“Ms. Lane, it’s been a busy week at work. She probably just forgot…” Clark tried to reassure her.

“Forgot? Do I mean that little to her?”

“That’s not what I meant…..”

Lois stepped out of the bedroom, fully dressed, “Who is that?”

“Your mother.” He said, “You know what? She just stepped out. Let me hand the phone over to Lois. It was nice talking to you.” He shoved the phone in front of her and Lois took it reluctantly, rolling her eyes at him.

“Hi, Mother.”

“Lois! What in the world is going on? It’s six in the morning….I’m trying to get a date from you on when you want to have this wedding and you’re not home all night…”

“I’m sorry. I’ve been a bit preoccupied lately…”

“Yeah, I’ll bet…Everything else comes before me….” Ellen added.

Lois sighed, “That’s not true. We’ve been trying to figure out who is after Uncle Mike…and this new gang that seems to be involved….”

“When were you planning on calling me about lunch?” Ellen asked.

Lois sighed, “I’m sorry, Mother.”

“Never mind. I’ve hired a wedding consultant, Beverly…She’s a genius. You’re going to love her.”

“Can we afford that?”

“It’s cheap. Your father will be paying for it. He has years of indifference to atone for….”

“Mother…”

“What?”

“Please, no fighting…”

“Who’s fighting?” Ellen asked. “We’ll meet for lunch. Mike will cook. I told him to make that chocolate mousse you love so much.”

“Mom, Uncle Mike doesn’t really like Daddy. Are you sure that’s a good idea?”

“Well, I can’t have him getting beaten up by some hoodlums again, can I? Have the police caught those cretins yet?”

“We’re working on it.” Lois sighed.

“Well, when exactly are you two planning on getting married?” Her mother echoed through the phone.

“Um, sometime soon.” She looked at Clark pleadingly. He just mouthed, ‘Sooner the better’ to her. “What about the end of the month?”

Her mother seemed to choke on the other end of the phone. “Excuse me? Please tell me you’re joking.”

“No,” Lois said, more determined. “I want to get married at the end of the month. Something small.”

“But…”

“No buts. If you won’t do it; I’ll do it myself.” Lois added.

Ellen sighed. “Fine. I’ll meet you both for lunch at one with Beverly and your father. Don’t be late.”

“Goodbye, Mother.” Lois hung up the phone.

“End of the month?” Clark asked amused.

Lois laughed, leaning up to kiss him. “I’ll tell her about the baby at the reception.”

Mrs. Cox stood in a secluded alley with Nigel, shaking her head, “He’s on a downward spiral. He says he’s in control but he doesn’t see it. He’s lost it.”

Nigel nodded, “Yes, he seems to be getting deeper and deeper with Ms. Lane than he originally intended,”

“What are we going to do?” Mrs. Cox asked.

“Wait until he’s vulnerable and take control of the empire we helped build,” Nigel said firmly.

They sat at the table of a small café across the street from the Daily Planet, “I’m so thrilled to at last be able to give my princess the big wedding she’s always dreamed of. It’ll be a bit of a stretch on such short notice, but we’ll manage…”

“Mom, I really don’t need a big wedding…” Lois began.

“After her second cousin Martina married that jockey, it’s all she talked about. She’d walk around all day holding a bunch of flowers, with my slip on her head.” Ellen gushed, laughing.

“Mother, I was six,” Lois said in between gritted teeth.

“Beverly should be here any minute. Don’t be shy about picking her brain for ideas.”

“Beverly?” Clark asked, confused.

“Beverly Lipman, acclaimed bridal consultant,” Ellen beamed.

“Mom, is that really necessary? I mean, we’re trying to keep this simple.” Lois said.

“Nonsense. It’s your wedding; you should go all out. Besides, I’ve already sent the bill to your father.”

“Mother…” Lois sighed.

“What?” Ellen shrugged, “I told you before, it’s cheap, considering the years of indifference he’s got to atone for.” Ellen turned to Clark, “You know, I raised Lois and Lucy by myself for the last fifteen years. He didn’t even bother to show up for holidays. Just washed his hands of us.”

Clark wasn’t sure what to say to that statement. “I’m sorry, Ms. Lane. That must have been…hard.”

“You seem to have your head on straight, Clark. When will I be able to meet your parents?”

“My parents?”

“They are coming to the wedding?” Ellen inquired.

“Yes. They should be coming to Metropolis by that Friday.” Lois cut in, “Mother, could we try and focus here?”

An auburn in her late forties approached them. Her entire attitude was complete no-nonsense. “I’m sorry I’m late.” Clark stood up from the table to pull a chair out for her, “Don’t stand.” She took a seat and Clark reclaimed his seat next to Lois. Beverly turned to one of the waitresses, “Miss? I’d like a bourbon on the rocks.” The waitress nodded and turned to place the order. “have we picked a color palette yet? I’ve done quite a bit in tangerine…”

“Color pattern?” Lois asked, skeptically. “Ms. Lipman, we’re trying to keep this small and low key.”

“She’s kidding,” Ellen said. “They want to get married by the end of the month. I told them you could do it.”

“In a hurry for the honeymoon, aren’t we?” Beverly noted, ignoring the flush that crossed over Lois and Clark’s faces. “Well, Mrs. Lane told me if she could hold a beautiful wedding for her favorite daughter, she could die happy.”

“Mother!” Lois admonished.

“What? It’s true. Lucy won’t hardly talk to me anymore.” Ellen shrugged.

“We just don’t want this to be too complicated,” Clark explained.

“What do you mean by complicated? You do want this affair to say something, don’t you?” Beverly asked.

“I just want it to say ‘I love Lois.’” Clark said, gently squeezing her hand. Lois smiled up at him and nodded.

“That will be doves. Three hundred. White.” Beverly said.

Lois closed her eyes a moment, “Mother, could I speak with you…in private?” She motioned for Ellen to follow her towards the ladies room of the restaurant; leaving Clark alone with Beverly.

“She’s going to be difficult, isn’t she?” Beverly asked.

“Lois just wants this to be perfect,” Clark said.

“No wedding is ever perfect,” Beverly said. “I remember this Thompson wedding I did once. The groom tried to take the plunge literally off the bell tower of the church. It was horrible…”

“Lois, what is it?”

“Are you crazy? This woman is going to bankrupt us before I even walk down the aisle. I told you I wanted something small and simple. I don’t want a big to do.” Lois hissed.

“Lois, it’s your wedding day. I thought this day would never come. You won’t have to do a thing. I’ll take care of it. You just approve or disapprove what you and Clark want.”

“You better keep a leash on Beverly or I’m going to elope.” Lois threatened.

“They had the fire department out there along with a couple of squad cars. Someone told the officers he was trying to jump…literally. So, then I had to clear up that mess with the officers…” She noticed Clark’s bored expression. “Are you listening to me, young man?”

“Yes, Ms. Lipman. That sounds….uh, very…complicated..” Clark said, uncertainly.

“Hi. Sorry about that.” Lois said, reclaiming her seat next to Clark. Clark gave her a questioning look. She just smiled, giving him a peck on the cheek. “I’ll tell you later.” She whispered.

“Now where were we?” Beverly asked. “Oh, yes, a theme. We were talking about doves….”

“Please please please don’t ever hire that woman for planning anything else in the near future,” Clark said as they headed back to Lois’ apartment. “I don’t think they’ve invented a word to describe that woman.” Clark gave a shudder.

Lois laughed. “What? You weren’t totally entranced by ‘L F and G’ and what was it? She said something about an ice sculpture.”

“Lois, I don’t care if we get married in a yurt…as long as it's you I’m marrying; I’m happy.” Clark said.

“So, the crazy mother of the bride fiasco hasn’t scared you off?” Lois asked apprehensively as they walked up the steps to her apartment.

“No way,” Clark whispered, leaning in to kiss her. He outlined her jawline with his palm, cupping her cheek as he deepened the kiss.

Lois leaned back against the unlocked door, linking her arms around his neck, “I can’t wait ….until we are done… with all this planning…” She managed in-between heated kisses. She gasped in surprise when she felt his palm slip up the back of her blouse and unhook her bra from beneath it. She could feel her body responding to his soft caresses as they deepened the embrace. “Bedroom, now…”

He nodded, opening the door as he wrapped an arm around her waist, “I love the way you think…”

“Lois! Good, you’re home!” Ellen’s voice echoed from the kitchen as they opened the door.

“No, no, no, no…” Lois whimpered. “Please, no….”

“You’ve got to be kidding me….” Clark muttered under his breath as Ellen entered the room with a tray of snacks.

“Don’t just stand there! We’ve got work to do!” Ellen said.

“Miranda, you’re a sight for sore eyes,” Lex crooned as the young blonde stepped into the penthouse.

Miranda smiled slowly, “Lex, always a pleasure,”

He kissed her hand and smiled, “Speaking of pleasure…” He picked up a file off his desk and handed it to her.

She opened it, “What is this?”

“The ultimate testing ground for ‘Revenge’ and a way to bring my own revenge on a certain man of steel at the same time. Can it be done?”

“I’ll have to run some tests…It may take a while,” She warned.

“Just do it,” Lex ordered.

Lois looked next to her on the couch. Clark looked absolutely bored out of his mind. If her mother hadn’t interrupted they’d probably be in the bedroom by now…. Why had her mother chosen now to come over with all these samples? Who knew there were so many different shades of white? An involuntary shudder ran through her as she imagined just what she and Clark would have been doing if they hadn’t been interrupted. She could still feel his arms around her…his lips on her…

“Lois? Hello? Are you listening to me?” Ellen Lane’s voice penetrated Lois’ daydream. She looked back at Ellen and Beverly who were sitting across from them pouring over the book of wedding themes. She glanced at Clark who had an expression of pure torture on his face. If only…

Things had begun to heat up the minute she and Clark had gotten to her apartment, but the mood was quickly spoiled. Now she was stuck sitting here with Clark as they listened to Beverly and her mother plan their wedding.

“Rose petals strewn by a small child as you come down the aisle. Do you know any small children? If not; we’ll provide one.” Beverly was saying to her. She glanced at Lois and Clark, waving a hand in front of them. “Hello? Anyone there?”

“Sorry.” Lois apologized. “You were saying?”

Ellen shot her a look, but she ignored it. Choosing instead to move closer to Clark, resting her head on his chest as they listened to the never-ending list of wedding details to iron out before the end of the month.

“Now, invitations….My printer can do something real stylish on Japanese linen. You get a price break when you order in lots of five hundred.” Beverly said.

“Five hundred???” Lois asked, aghast.

“It’s cheaper. We have plenty of family and friends, Lois.” Ellen sniffed.

“I understand that Mother, but this is supposed to be small.” Lois countered.

“Twenty hundred has been budgeted for L, F, and G; and I have a small gazebo at the local church we can look at tomorrow for the ceremony….” Beverly rambled.

Lois rolled her eyes. “Isn’t that a bit much for just….flowers?” Lois asked.

She noticed Clark had chosen to just let the women talk; not adding a comment unless he was addressed. It was probably the safest venture, but she couldn’t let her mother turn their simple ceremony into a circus. She wanted something small and quaint. She didn’t need five thousand strangers staring at her as she recited her vows to Clark. All she needed was her friends and family and the man she loved, but her mother seemed to have jumped on the bandwagon with these wedding preparations. She wasn’t sure if her thoughts were even registering with her mother.

“They’re not just flowers. They’re loose flowers and greens…” Ellen corrected.

“Do we absolutely need them? Because I really….”

“Well, you don’t absolutely need shoes. But sooner or later your feet are bloody stumps.” Beverly sniffed. She then flipped the page in her book. “Does anyone here have a serious objection to white Polonaise sauce with shitaki mushrooms? I need to know.”

“Pardon?” Lois asked confused.

“I guess we’ve pretty much given up on the idea of those little hot dogs, huh?” Clark whispered in her ear.

“Mother, how exactly are you all going to get all this by the end of the month? I mean, can’t we just stick to something simple? Our friends don’t really have such….complicated tastes.” Lois tried to reason.

“There’s nothing wrong with them broadening their horizons.” Ellen sniffed. “Trust me. You’ll love it.”

Lois rolled her eyes. “If you say so.” She then turned her attention to Clark who was still scanning the file they had on Martin Snell and the various files they had on him from the investigation into Intergang. It was going to be a long night.

“Finally!” Lois groaned, closing the front door and locking it behind her mother. “I thought they’d never leave.”

“Tell me about it.” Clark groaned. “Are you hungry? I could make some pasta…or a …” He was cut off by Lois launching herself into his arms. “Lo-is…” Clark hissed as Lois nibbled at his ear. She let out a low giggle as she tugged on his earlobe. He struggled to maintain his balance as he slowly walked them back towards the bedroom.

“Oh, God, I can’t believe they took three hours to go over everything…” Lois grumbled as she pushed Clark back onto the bed, climbing on top of him as they continued their embrace.

“I know.” He whispered. “I didn’t know there were so many different shades of white…”

Lois laughed as she tugged at his tie. “My mother the perfectionist.” She whispered, unbuttoning his dress shirt. “Clark…” She gasped in surprise as he flipped them over.

He captured her mouth as he allowed his hands to roam up and down her body, pushing her skirt and panties down her body as she pushed his dress shirt off his shoulders. “I love you, Lois…” He whispered.

She smiled up at him, “I love you too, Clark.” She let out a small moan as he pressed his solid frame against hers.

Clark rolled them over so she was on top of him once more. She lay against his chest completely sated. “Oh, God, I needed that.”

“Mmm hmmm. It took everything I had not to push your mother and Beverly out the door earlier.” Clark murmured, tightening his arms around her.

“I know. I told you we get interrupted too much.”

“Well, this time next month we’ll be on our honeymoon and no one will be around to interrupt.” He whispered, leaning down to kiss her.

“Can’t wait,” Lois whispered, leaning up to deepen the kiss.

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube