Winner Takes All
Folc4evernaday
Part 23

“Clark, what happened?” Lois asked. He hadn’t said a word since he entered the newsroom. He had led her to the conference room then began closing the blinds. “Clark, you’re starting to scare me.”

He pulled her close against his chest. “I almost didn’t make it.” He let out a shuddered breath, pulling her close to him.

“Clark, honey, what is going on?” Lois asked exasperated. She’d never seen him so shaken before.

“I found the lawyer Bobby warned us about.” He said slowly. He held her close to him as he recited everything that had happened from the time he had left. “I don’t know what to do, Lois. If I show up over there trying to put out a fire they’ll try to kill you…or Jimmy…or Perry…or Ralph.”

“Clark…” Lois leaned up to kiss him. “Calm down. We’ll figure this out.”

“You need to tell your Uncle Mike to stay out of Southside. I can’t protect him otherwise. Scratch that; he just needs to get out of town period.”

“Clark, I think you’re overreacting. Just take a deep breath…”

“What if those missiles had been real, Lois? You could have died…our baby…” He whispered hoarsely as he held her close against his chest. “I don’t know what I would do if I ever lost you.”

“Well, you won’t have to find that out,” Lois said, leaning up to kiss him. She grabbed his hand and pulled him with her as they exited the conference room. “Jimmy!”

“What’s up?” Jimmy asked.

“Get me everything you can on Martin Snell and have it couriered over to my apartment. We’re calling it a day.” She said, guiding Clark over to the elevator after gathering her things. “Let’s go.” She said, pulling Clark into her arms as they entered the elevator car. “I refuse to let that man ruin what started out as a perfect day for us.” She then leaned up and kissed him with all her might. “And don’t you dare let him either.”

The drumming of rain against the windows whined in the background throughout the night. Lois lay curled up in Clark’s arms as they sat in bed after their recent lovemaking going over the files on Martin Snell. “So, five years ago Martin Snell was a staff council for Bill Church.” Lois read off the report.

“Cost Mart again.” Clark shook his head. “Keeps popping up. It’s hard to believe someone that senile could be behind one of the world’s largest crime organizations.”

“Well, it's probably an act,” Lois said.

“Like Luthor’s act of being an honorable citizen?” Clark asked.

“Something like that,” Lois whispered, flipping the page. “Let’s see what we’ve got here. Worked in corporate acquisitions. Responsible for buying up overseas companies.”

“Maybe Snell was doing Church’s dirty work?” Clark asked.

Lois nodded, “That’s what I’m thinking. I mean, we already know that Cost Mart has shown up everywhere Intergang’s gotten a foothold….Where’s that report on the history of Cost Mart?” Lois asked, craning her neck to look through the stacks of papers laying on the floor by the bed; yet not wanting to move out of Clark’s arms just yet.

“Right here.” Clark handed her the report.

“Okay, let’s see here.” Lois scanned the report. “Denver, 1975 is when the first Cost Mart opened it’s doors.”

Clark nodded, picking up another report, “And in the same city, same year, the first police report on Intergang showed up.”

“First overseas Cost Mart: Australia.”

“First overseas Intergang activity: Australia.”

“And Bill Church doesn’t have any type of record. Not even a parking ticket.” Lois pouted grumpily.

“Well, neither does Luthor, but we both know he’s guilty as sin.” Clark pointed out.

“This is so frustrating.” She muttered. “I mean, it’s not like we can drag Snell into the DA’s office. We’d need more than just Superman’s word to get Mayson to even listen…”

“I know,” Clark said softly, running his hands through her silky hair. “Did you call your uncle?” He asked.

Lois nodded. “He’s going to stay with mom for a few days,” Lois said, laying the papers back on the night stand. “So, what’s the plan for tomorrow?”

“Work on nailing Snell to the wall, then see what we can find out about Bibbo. I’ve got a few feelers out trying to find out when he’ll be back at the Press Club. So far nothing.” Clark sighed, wrapping his arms around her. “I just don’t understand these people. I mean, I was so scared I wasn’t going to get to you in time.”

Lois leaned up to kiss him, wrapping her arms around him as she straddled his waist. “But you did.” She whispered, brushing feather light kisses along his jaw line, “I’m fine.” She guided his hand to her abdomen, “Our baby is fine.” She leaned down to nibble at his neck, “So, stop brooding.”

“I’m….not…brooding..” He said half-heartedly. She inched her way beneath the covers, nibbling at his collarbone as she inched herself lower, “Oh, God, baby…”

Lois lay in the aftermath of their lovemaking; her mind in a dream-like state. “Clark?”

“Hmmm?” He lazily turned to look at her.

“When do you think it was?” Lois asked quietly, wrapping her limbs more securely around him.

“When was what?” He asked confused.

“When we made our baby….” Lois asked.

“I don’t know.” Clark sighed. “I mean, it could have been the elevator, kitchen counters…” He wore an amused expression as she lightly smacked him, We were pretty active that week…”

“I’m not complaining.” She whispered, seductively.

“Definitely not,” Clark murmured, leaning down to kiss her, “I’ve missed this,” He said softly.

“Me too,” She said sadly. “Kinda scary, huh?

He let out a shallow breath, “Yeah, knowing I have all these powers but couldn’t do anything…” He shook his head and Lois placed a hand on his chest. He wrapped his hand around hers, “I’m not used to being helpless,”

“Me neither,” She sighed. “I’m so glad that’s all over. We can start trying to plan everything…baby and wedding…”

“You said you didn’t want to wait long…” Clark recalled.

“Yeah, I think we can probably get something together in about a month. I’m almost five months now... I want to try and have the wedding before I have the baby. That way we’re able to get settled in as husband and wife before the baby comes. Because once it does I know it’s going to be hectic.”

Clark nodded, “Yeah, but in a good way.” He smiled at her. “I’m looking forward to finding out what the baby is,”

“One of the perks of the second trimester,” She smiled at him. “I’m so glad all that morning sickness is done. Now, we can start enjoying the pregnancy advantages…” She slipped a hand down his thigh seductively. He let out a soft groan and she laughed. “Increase in sexual drive, check,” She laughed when he rolled them over so she was beneath him, intent on repeating their earlier activities well into the night.

“Over half the Skins have been released on bail,” Jimmy said, laying the file on Lois’ desk.

“What? How did that happen?” Lois asked.

“An OR bond?” Clark asked, reading the copy of the report from the detention center. He scanned the papers Jimmy had given them and grimaced, “Look at this. Every one of them has been assigned Martin Snell as their legal counsel.”

“There’s over fifteen defendants. How can he represent them all?” Lois asked.

“This reeks,” Clark muttered bitterly, sifting through the papers. “What I want to know is what the connection is with Intergang and Southside. Why the interest in that property?”

“Well, it used to be owned by the Metros…Maybe they just want to push them out?” Jimmy suggested.

“We don’t know for sure WHAT the Metros were running, to begin with.” Lois pointed out. “For all, we know the line Linda was feeding us was just a bunch of crap. It wouldn’t be the first time she tried to interfere in one of my investigations.”

“What do you mean?” Clark asked. Lois sighed, giving him a pointed look. “Okay, fine. I get it. You don’t want to talk about it.” He then turned to Jimmy, “Jimmy, get everything you’ve got on the properties the Metros own, Bill Church, Martin Snell, and Lex Luthor.”

“Why Lex Luthor?” Jimmy asked.

“Well, his shipments were attacked at the same time those fires were set. Maybe there’s more to it than that.” Lois said. “Get!” She said pushing him off the edge of her desk.

Lois and Lucy sat at a small table outside their Uncle Mike’s café. “I am still in shock,” Lucy said, examining her sister’s ring. “You…engaged.”

“I know,” Lois grinned. “I never thought of myself as the marrying type…but…there’s just something about Clark.”

“Yeah, I’ll bet…” Lucy teased, wiggling her eyebrows. Lois blushed, laughing. “You’re happy?”

“Very,” Lois smiled.

“Good,” Lucy grinned. “We’re going to have to get this wedding planned before mom gets wind and starts taking over.”

“Oh, God…” Lois groaned. “It may be too late. She cornered me at the Planet…”

Lucy nodded, “That’s mom for you….”

“She loves Clark..”

“Poor Clark,” Lucy sympathized.

“Poor everyone,” Lois corrected.

“I think the sooner the better, but I just want small and simple…just family and close friends.” Lois said.

“Yeah, mom will love that.” Lucy laughed. “No, you and I both know how this is going to go. She is going to try and take control like always…You may just want to elope.” Lucy teased.

“We should begin testing with Dr. Leek’s latest subject. I want to be kept up to date on all the developments. You say the subject shows no signs of being affected by this…Kryptonite?” Lex asked.

“No, Lex. The subject has all the powers of Superman and not the weaknesses.” Mrs. Cox said. “Should make for an interesting fight.”

“Yes, well, we’ll broach that bridge when we get to it. First, I need to test it’s morals and ethics. Make sure we share the same ideals.”

“But, Lex, you don’t have any morals or ethics.” Mrs. Cox pointed out.

“Precisely.” Lex smiled.

“Mr. Church?” Martin knocked at the door of Bill Church’s office. “Everything’s all set. No sign of Superman in Southside thus far.” Martin Snell said reassuringly.

“Excellent. Have you sent the men out on the Scavenger Hunt?” Church asked.

“Already done.” Martin Snell reassured him.

“Once we’ve gotten a stronghold on Metropolis we can start showing these people who’s in charge around here. It certainly isn’t Mr. Luthor.” Church grinned, taking a puff of his cigar.

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube