Winner Takes All
Folc4evernaday
Part 20

The next day, Lois and Clark spent the day hunting down Bobby Bigmouth after having no luck in finding Bibbo Bigowski. Bobby had only been able to point them back to the club, leading them in a huge circle. Lois was glad Perry had given them the freedom to leave early to prepare for the Charity Ball. She had picked out the perfect dress, confident that Clark would love it. Even though her body was changing shape she still had her slim figure.

“So, who usually comes to these things?” Clark asked, walking Lois up to her apartment.

Lois shrugged, “Everyone really. A lot of Government officials, politicians, anyone who’s anyone usually shows up trying to get on the good side of the Planet. A lot of the Planet’s competition usually shows up too.” They reached Lois’ apartment and she turned around to give him a peck on the cheek. “I’ll see you in a few.” She whispered.

“What? You’re not going to invite me in?” He asked, pretending to be hurt.

“Later.” She said. “I worked really hard to find this dress. I don’t want you to ruin the surprise. I’ll see you at six.” She pulled him to her for a long kiss before breaking away. “Don’t be late.” She whispered before sashaying into her apartment. Clark watched in amusement as she closed the door. Tonight was going to be a night neither of them would forget.

Later that evening, Lois was finishing getting ready at her apartment. She examined herself in the full-length mirror. She wore a pair of thigh highs with a garter belt and lace black panties with matching bra. She slipped on a long black dress with an open back with a zig zag design on the back and halter neckline with just enough cleavage showing to be sexy without being too revealing. Thankfully she still wasn’t showing yet so she was still able to pull off an a-line dress without any baby bump showing.

The last few weeks had been hell in regards to her body adjusting to the pregnancy. She’d finally stopped having as many food aversions. Clark had found a blend of Decaf coffee she’d been able to tolerate without getting sick making mornings a bit easier. It had been hard…not being able to do what she was used to doing due to the sickness that came with the pregnancy. It had also been hard not being able to be with Clark like she was used to. After jumping the gun and making love on their first date they’d gotten used to the physical side of their relationship. It had been hard to refrain from sex for the last couple of weeks but they’d both found different ways around the restrictions. The last time they’d made love had been when they’d been in Smallville and it felt like torture to her to wait this long. Now that she was feeling better she had every intention of making up for lost time. She’d been cleared by her doctor to resume sexual activity and was now well into her second trimester so there was less of a chance of something going wrong.

In the Honeymoon Suite at the Lexor Hotel, Clark was finishing up setting everything up. He laid petal after petal around the living room. He had a basket of wine, food, and champagne glasses on the coffee table. Candles were set up around the hotel room, ready to be lit when he brought Lois back here for a romantic picnic.

He wrapped his hand around the small jewelry box he’d been carrying for the last few weeks, saying a silent prayer. A knock at the door caught his attention and he went to open it. “Thanks for coming,”

Lucy smiled, handing him a small overnight bag, “You have no idea how hard it was to sneak this out without her seeing me.” She glanced around the room and smiled, “So tonight’s the night, huh?”

He just smiled, “Yeah,”

“Good luck…and hopefully congratulations,” Lucy said. “Do you need anything else?” she asked.

“No,” he shook his head. “I’ve got it from here. Thanks for your help.”

“You kids have fun,” Lucy teased as she closed the door behind her.

Clark looked around the room, making sure everything was perfect. He glanced at his watch and then headed out to pick up Lois.

After doing a quick check over the city then headed back to his apartment. He stopped at one of the florist shops on his way to purchase a bouquet of roses.

It was seven o’ clock on the dot when he knocked on Lois’ door. “Coming,” Lois called, rushing to open the door for him. “Hi,”

Clark struggled to find his words as he drank in the sight before him. Lois was dressed in a long black dress with spaghetti straps. The gown came down to the ground, covering her ankles. It had a neckline that accented her body in just the right way. The lace front had small beads sewn into it. She had her hair permed. She looked incredible. “Wow…”

“Is that translation for ‘I like the dress?’” Lois asked flirtatiously.

“Lois, you look absolutely gorgeous!” He said handing her a bouquet of white roses. “These are for you.”

“Thank you.” She leaned up to give him a kiss. “I’ll put these in some water and we can go.”

He held his arm out for her and they headed out. “Shall we?”

After changing back into his tux and arriving at the Lexor where the Charity Ball was being held Lois noticed Clark seemed awfully nervous. She eyed him suspiciously as he readjusted his tie for the tenth time as they entered the Lexor. “Are you okay?” She asked.

“Yeah. I’m fine.” He said, opening the door for her, “Shall we?” He asked.

“Sure,” Lois said, wrapping her arm around his. They made their way inside where they were greeted by their colleagues at the Planet that had already begun in the festivities. Many of the bigwigs of Metropolis were there as well. The Mayor and his girlfriend, Ryan Knox, and many others were there along with journalists from other papers and news stations.

“Nice turnout, eh, kids?” Perry asked with a beaming smile.

“Very nice, Chief,” Clark said impressed, looking around.

“Enjoy the food. The band’s already started playing. Go have fun.” Perry said, patting Clark on the shoulder before turning away.

They made their way into the main room where several couples had already begun dancing. After checking her purse in Lois and Clark began to mingle with a few co-workers, discussing various stories.

“Hey, kiddo, I thought I recognized you.” A familiar voice from behind her said.

Lois turned around and saw her Uncle Mike standing there. “Uncle Mike, what are you doing here?” She gave him a big hug.

“Catering. I gotta do something while I’m waiting to rebuild.” He shrugged.

“I heard what happened,” Lois said solemnly. “Um, Uncle Mike, this is Clark Kent, my partner.”

Mike took Clark’s hand and shook it, “Pleased to meet you. I’ve heard a bit about you from Lucy.”

Lois rolled her eyes. Leave it to Lucy to blab her personal life around. “You didn’t happen to bring that chocolate mousse that I love so much, did you?” Lois asked, changing the subject.

Mike shrugged, “I’m all out, kiddo. I’ll tell you what I’ll make some later and bring it by for you sometime next week.”

“Deal.” Lois nodded.

A shout from the kitchen caught Mike’s attention. “I gotta go. Duty calls. We’ll catch up later.”

“He seems nice,” Clark commented.

“He is.” Lois nodded, “I still can’t believe someone tried to burn his restaurant down like that. He’s had it for almost fifteen years.” Her eyes took on a dream-like expression, “You have got to try his chocolate mousse, Clark. It is to die for.”

“Well, since you can’t have chocolate will you settle for a dance with me?” He asked, holding his hand out for her.

Lois smiled up at him, “Anytime.” She whispered, following him onto the dance floor.

“Those two look like they were made for each other.” Alice White commented, gesturing to Lois and Clark’s dancing figures.

Perry smiled. “I’ve never seen her so happy in my entire life.”

Alice nodded. “She’s glowing.”

Perry turned to face his wife, “May I have the honor of this dance, Mrs. White?”

“I don’t know. My husband’s a very jealous man. He might come after you.” She teased.

“Well, then we’ll have to be quick, won’t we?” Perry teased back, walking her out to the dance floor.

“You know this isn’t what I call real dancing.” Clark murmured in Lois’ ear as he held her against his chest.

“Me neither.” Lois winked at him, wrapping her arms around his neck.

“That’s not what I was talking about.” He said. “I’ll show you later.” He promised.

“I’ll hold you to it.” She teased. “It feels like ages ago since we shared our first dance.” She sighed reminiscing.

“You stormed out of my arms that night,” Clark recalled.

“You were beginning to get to me,” Lois admitted sheepishly.

“Oh, really?” Clark asked as he dipped her in his arms, eliciting a squeal of laughter from her.

“Yes, really.” She admitted, pressing her body against his. “Hasn’t the past few months taught you anything about the effect you have on me, Mr. Kent?” She asked seductively running her hand down his chest.

“All too well,” Clark said, holding her close.

Dancin' in the dark, middle of the night
Takin' your heart and holdin' it tight
Emotional touch, touchin' my skin
And asking you to do what you've been doin' all over again
Oh it's a beautiful thing, don't think I can keep it all in
I just gotta let you know what it is that won't let me go

Lois immediately recognized the song playing as the one they had danced to in Smallville at the Corn Festival. “I made a request with the band.” He whispered, resting his hands on the small of her lower back as they swayed to the music.

Lois gave him a light smile, lifting her arms up to link around his neck. “I love this song.”

“I know.” He said, leaning in to kiss her.

It's your love
It just does something to me
It sends a shock right through me
I can't get enough
And if you wonder
About the spell, I'm under
Oh it's your love

“I think this song speaks perfectly for us. I mean, I still can’t describe the way you make me feel.” Clark whispered, holding her close. “All I know is I just can’t control myself when I’m with you. You’re everything I’ve ever wanted.” He gently brushed a stray strand of hair out of her face.

“Oh, Clark…” The emotion behind his words was not lost on her.

Better than I was, more than I am
And all of this happened by taking your hand
And who I am now is who I wanted to be
And now that we're together,
I'm stronger than ever
I'm happy and free
Oh it's a beautiful thing,
Don't think I can keep it all in
If you asked me why I've changed,
All I gotta do is say your sweet name

They had stopped moving. Both were staring into one another’s eyes as the song continued to play in the background. Neither were aware of the set of eyes that remained on them.

It's your love
I can't get enough
And if you wonder
About the spell, I'm under
Oh, it's your love
Baby, Oh oh, oh,
Oh it's a beautiful thing,
Don't think I can keep it all in
I just gotta let you know what it is that won't let me go

“Lois,” Clark knelt down before her, pulling out a small jewelry box from his pocket.

“Clark..” Lois gasped. She felt like she was going to cry.

“Before you say anything I want you to know this has nothing to do with what we found out in Smallville. I’ve been trying to get the nerve up to ask you for the last few months. I love you more than anything. You mean everything to me. You are the first thing on my mind in the morning and the last thing on my mind when I fall asleep. These past few months have been a dream come true. I want to spend the rest of my life making you as happy as you’ve made me; if you’ll let me.” He opened the box, revealing a three stone, one karat diamond ring, “So, Lois Lane, will you marry me?”

It's your love
I can't get enough
And if you wonder
About the spell, I'm under,
Oh it's your love
It's your love, it's your love, it's your love

Lois bit her lip, fighting the urge to cry. Marriage? Could she do this? She knew she loved him, but her track record with relationships hadn’t been that great. Everyone she had ever thought she could count on had lied and betrayed her.

<<”I love you.”>>

<<“You’re the only one.”>>

<<” I can’t really control myself when I’m with you. You seem to bring out a part of me that I didn’t know existed.”>>

<<”I love you.”>>

She looked into his eyes and saw the vulnerability she had only seen in the beginning of their courtship. Any other time he had been so self-assured and confident. Even when challenged by Luthor with a sword to his throat he hadn’t shown any signs of hesitation—If Lex had tried to hurt him his secret would have been exposed and his life over…But now, Clark was on his knee in front of everyone asking her to be his wife. He claimed it wasn’t because of the baby…

<< “I’m feeling I don’t know…a bit taken aback. I mean this is huge. We didn’t plan this and I have no idea what to do. I mean, you haven’t met my parents …well, not really…” She rambled on. Clark leaned down to kiss her.

“We’ll be fine.” He whispered against her lips.>>

<<”I love you.”>>

<<“Slow.” He repeated. “I promise not to use the L-word until you’re ready if you promise not to run off on me like that.”>>

<<”I love you.”>>

<<“Was this your fantasy?”>>

<<”I love you.”>>

<<“Clark is a really great guy. All you have to do is say the word and he’d probably whisk you off to Vegas no questions asked.”>>

<<”I love you.”>>

<< Without a word, she linked her arms around his neck and pulled him in for a passionate kiss. She felt him begin to respond to her and slowly pulled away. “I love you, Clark Kent.”

He smiled back at her. “I love you, Lois Lane.” He lowered his mouth to hers.>>

<<”I love you.”>>

<< Clark lifted her up and carried her back to bed. He wrapped a protective arm around her and held her close. “Clark?”

“Hmm?”

“If you hadn’t have had to worry about your parents when were you going to tell me?” Lois asked.

Clark sighed, “I probably would have told you around the same time of our first date, but like I said…it wasn’t just my secret. I couldn’t risk my parent’s lives without their input too. I never meant to hurt you, Lois. I hope you can believe me.”>>

She did believe him. She trusted him more than she had trusted anyone in her life. He had captured her heart before she had even realized it. Somehow he had wormed his way through all the barriers she had built around herself.

<<“Clark?”

“Hmmm?”

“Um, we’re floating…”>>

<<”I love you.”>>

<<“Clark…” She cried against his chest.

“I know…” He held her close, allowing her to release whatever emotions she needed to. He lowered his head to rest his forehead against hers.

She let out a shuddered breath, “Every time I close my eyes I keep seeing Trask there with that rock…”

“Shhh, “ He moved his hand to cup her cheek, “It’s over.”>>

<<”I love you.”>>

<<“Lois…Honey…Get a grip…” He gently pushed her away from him.

“Believe me, I’d love too, baby..” She teased, lightly cupping him with her right hand.

“Lo-is!” He hissed. “What?”>>

Any other man would have taken advantage of her that night, but not Clark. He had seen something was wrong with her. Instead of being worried about his own physical needs he had taken care of her…just as he always had.

<<”I love you.”>>

“Yes.” She whispered. In one fluid motion, Clark stood up, wrapping his arms around her. He slipped the ring on her awaiting hand then leaned in to kiss her.

Every little thing that you do
I'm so in love with you
It just keeps getting better
I wanna spend the rest of my life with you by my side
Forever and ever
Every little thing that you do

“Oh, boy..” Perry shook his head as he watched the scene unfold.

“What’s wrong?” Alice asked.

“Nothing.” He sighed, “I’m just gonna have to learn to live without my favorite duo in the newsroom when they start having kids.”

Alice smiled, “It may be too late.” She murmured. “Look at Lois…She has that motherly glow about her.”

“Oh, honey, I think you’re reading too much into that…” Perry admonished.

“You never know.” Alice shrugged.

Another surprise. That’s what Clark had said when they’d left the ballroom. Knowing him they could be anywhere. The elevator dinged and Lois stepped off the elevator with Clark covering her eyes to make sure she didn’t peek. “Okay, I know we’re somewhere with an elevator. Are we at the Planet?” she asked.

“Nope,” he smiled, “Keep them closed,” he instructed as he pulled the keycard out of his pocket to open the door. He guided her in the room.

She smirked as she heard the door close behind them, “Now, can I open them?” She heard a click and a song came on the stereo and smiled when she heard the music begin playing.

I remember trying not to stare
The night that I first met you
You had me mesmerized
And three weeks later
In the front porch light
Taking 45 minutes to kiss goodnight
I hadn't told you yet
I thought I loved you then

Clark wrapped his arms around her waist, “Okay, now,” he whispered.

She opened her eyes and looked around, “When did you…?” She looked around the room, candles were lit all around the room. Rose petals laid all around the ‘picnic’ he had set up on the floor with a bucket of ice with wine and two long-stemmed glasses in front of it. Gourmet truffles and Chinese food sat in the center.

“I thought a picnic would be a fun way to celebrate,” he acknowledged as he swayed with her to the music.

“The Honeymoon Suite,” she asked, tightening her grip around his waist.

Now you're my whole life
Now you're my whole world
I just can't believe
The way I feel about you girl
Like a river meets the sea
Stronger than it’s ever been
We've come so far since that day
And I thought I loved you then

“When Roarke destroyed the room the hotel manager had a reservation on call for us as a way of making up for any inconvenience during our stay,” Clark explained.

“And you never told me, why, exactly?” Lois asked.

“I wanted to save it for a moment like this,” Clark whispered, cupping her cheek.

Lois gave him a light smile, lifting her arms up to link around his neck. “I love it.” She whispered.

“Good.” He said, leaning in to kiss her.

I remember taking you back
To right where I first met you
You were so surprised
There were people around
But I didn't care
I got down on one knee right there
And once again
I thought I loved you then

“So, when are we getting married? I don’t think I can have a long engagement. I’m really not patient enough.” She said, rubbing her body against him, seductively.

“You are killing me.” He murmured against her lips. “Why so impatient?”

“Let’s see, where do I start? I want you to be legally mine as soon as possible so that when certain women start eyeballing you they can feel guilty for hitting on a married man…I want to have the excuse of being newlyweds as a reason to drag you into the storage closet and have my way with you..”

“Wouldn’t it be easier to just fly home?” He laughed.

“Maybe…maybe not.” She murmured.

Now you're my whole life
I just can't believe
Like a river meets the sea
Stronger than it’s ever been
We've come so far since that day

“Our parents are going to have a field day,” Lois whispered, linking her arms around his neck.

“I still haven’t even met your mother.” Clark whispered, “Is she like that all the time?”

“Mostly, but she means well,” Lois said, nibbling at his neck.

I can just see you
With a baby on the way
I can just see you
When your hair is turning gray
What I can't see
Is how I'm ever gonna love you more
But I've said that before

“I told you earlier, this isn’t dancing,” Clark whispered as he held her close.

“Oh, really? Then what IS dancing?” She gasped in surprise when he floated them above the ground, continuing the rhythm of the dance they had begun as if nothing had happened. “Oh, my…”

Now you're my whole life
I just can't believe
We'll look back someday
At this moment that we're in

“This is dancing.” He whispered, leaning in to kiss her.

And I'll look at you and say
Jimmy looked around the party that had picked up it’s pace a bit. He watched as Lucy and Lex danced on the floor. He wasn’t sure what it was about the guy, but he just didn’t like seeing Lucy with him. If he was perfectly honest with himself he really didn’t like seeing her with anyone. He really cared about her, but she had never seen him as more than a friend.

“What’s wrong, son?” Perry asked, taking a seat next to him. “Aren’t you having a good time?”

“Yeah, it’s great, Chief. I just wish I had a date.” Jimmy said glumly.

“A date or a certain date?” Perry inquired, following Jimmy’s gaze. “Try opening your mouth once in a while. You may be surprised what you hear back.” Perry patted Jimmy on the back. “If Kent was able to take a risk like he did tonight there’s hope for you..”

“What risk?” Jimmy asked confused.

“You didn’t see?” Perry asked. “The boy got down on one knee in the middle of the ballroom and asked Lois to marry him.”

“You’re kidding,” Jimmy said. “I must have missed that.”

“Well, you just missed ‘em when you came in. They left a little while ago. I think they wanted to celebrate in…uh, private.” Perry winked at him. “I’ll see you around, kid.”

That evening after the Charity Ball Jimmy had decided to visit Lucy with some Chinese food and a movie. She’d welcomed him in with a hug and now they were seated on the couch, watching Die Hard. Jimmy noticed Lucy wasn’t really focused on the movie. “So, Lois Lane engaged….never thought I’d see the day,” Jimmy said, passing her the bowl of popcorn.

“I know,” Lucy said, grabbing a handful from the bowl. “I know she has her hang-ups with relationships. I’m happy for her, though. She deserves to be happy.”

Jimmy smiled, watching Lucy’s expression change to sadness. “You do too,” he reminded her.

“I am happy, Jimmy,” she gave him a big smile, “really,”

Jimmy wasn’t sure if he believed her.

“So, what’s the deal with Allison?” Lucy asked, tossing popcorn at Jimmy’s head. “You over her or are you trying to get her back? Dish.”

Jimmy shook his head, “She wasn’t right for me. She’s happy with her new boyfriend and I’ll find the right girl one day.”

“You deserve better. Cheating should never be the way a relationship ends. If you’re unhappy, you leave. Cheating hurts everyone for no good reason. You lose trust,”

Jimmy nodded, “Yeah, I could have done without being cheated on. That’s for sure.”

“I’m sorry,” Lucy patted his hand. “I don’t know what I would ever do if Lex ever cheated on me. I really don’t. I saw how it tore my mom up when I was growing up and I never understood why my dad did that to her…to us.”

“Selfish,” Jimmy muttered. “That’s the only explanation.

“Yep,” Lucy muttered, glancing at her phone. “She still hasn’t called me,” she asked worriedly.

Jimmy shook his head, “I’m sure they’re ‘celebrating’…and she will call you later.”

“Jimmy!” she smacked a pillow against his head.

“I’m just saying …” Jimmy shrugged, “They’re spending the night in the Honeymoon Suite,”

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube