Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Aaaaand Clark knows he's in trouble. devilsplat

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
Aaaaand Clark knows he's in trouble. devilsplat
And in more ways than one.

Clark not telling Lois his secret because he needed to know if Lois loved him for him, not Superman... sure puts a kink in his loving her. Truth be told, I bet it's more along the line that when it came to Lois, he didn't have the self-confidence in Clark to tell Lois the truth, especially after he told her on the bench that he loved her (before she accepted Luthor's proposal); therefore, putting the blame squarely on Lois's shoulders is doing her a disservice and makes her sound awfully shallow (then, again, she did accept Luthor'r proposal when not being in love with him and being in love with Superman). This isn't a comment on your story per se, DC, but that plotline from canon in general. After Lois rejected Superman to date Clark is really when he should have told Lois. Big ol' chicken!

It's ironic that Clark used Mayson learning that he was Superman as a way to let her down gently. Although, it was tackless to say (while she's in the room) that the real reason he couldn't be with Mayson was that she wasn't Lois. (So much for letting her down gently).

I was worried about Superman being in the hospital until I remembered that he had been in the hospital before during Top Copy. Jeffery C. (the guy who answered the phone at STAR Labs), isn't he the guy who tried to develop a virus from Kryptonite? The same one who framed Lois for her informant's murder in Metropolis V. Lois Lane? You really did jumble up the timeline in this story. smile

I hope Dr. Klein can find out what's making Clark sick.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
What an interesting situation--to have Mayson be fully 'in' on everything, for Lois and Mayson to get along, and for Mayson to be helping them (probably) in their most scary situation yet! I like it, DC, and the way you have set it up does really create a reality where I can see this easily playing out notworthy.

I was really feeling for Lois--to put yourself out there so thoroughly with a proposal and then have your boyfriend ditch you during it, show up at your 'rival's' house, and then find out the boyfriend has a secret identity and has been lying to you--(And!!!) that this woman also KNOWS his biggest secret! That is a lot to take in help thud. It would completely rattle anyone...

Curious to see how things play out at the hospital. And looking forward to when Lois and Clark can talk--without so many distractions.

Excited for more!!! smile
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 10/15/16 12:28 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Vicki!
/eyes icon/ Happy Birthday! party
Mayson's face was white with embarrassment and fear. "I...I...I thought you knew," she said softly.
So, that would be an ‘oops’, then? On the plus side, at least Lois didn’t find them in bed together. *Then* ‘I thought you knew’ would have been *really* awkward.

"How do you know?" she demanded.
Good question! I figured, she noticed it after she tucked him into bed.

"Lois, now's not the best time..."
Or they played ‘ADA and Naughty Vigilante’.

"No, you should stay," Lois challenged. "As much as I hate to admit it, I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling embarrassed here."
Yes, but keeping Mayson here won’t make Clark any less embarrassed wink

"Sit and I'll explain everything as best I can."
That should be fun! [Linked Image] My money’s on four.
LOIS: Four?
Yeah, he’ll put his foot in his mouth four times trying to explain why she found him at his professional caregiver’s apartment, suffering from what *could* be an STD.

"I never told Mayson about my secret," Clark repeated. "She found out by mistake."
/marks one down/

"By mistake. What, did you start floating in midair after a make out session or something?" Lois hissed, well aware of how juvenile she sounded.
Sounds reasonable? Maybe they had *more* passion than he and Lois did?

"Lois, please. Do you really think I could have ever cheated on you?" he pleaded.
Well, he *is* a Kryptonian lord. Is having a professional caregiver giving him care considered cheating?

"I couldn't lie to her," Clark added.
/marks two down/

"It's not like that! She'd almost died and I..."
/marks three down/

"Oh!" Lois spat, cutting him off. "She almost died! Well then, maybe I should go put myself into mortal peril too, so you'll finally be honest with me for once!"
Won’t help. Otherwise, she’d already know at least…37 times.

"I'd spent so much time hating Superman, to the point of almost villainizing him, all the while so relentlessly pursuing him in a different set of clothes."
Sounds familiar.

"I needed to know, Lois. Could you love Clark Kent, without the powers?
Aaaand there’s four.

How could I know for certain that you weren't with me to live out the 'Superman's girlfriend' fantasy?
That’s easy. When she gets all annoyed at the costume for restricting access during naughty times, it means she wants Clark Kent. If, on the other hand, she suggests he keep it on, it means she is only there for the cheap thrill of…dating a super hero.

"I know," Clark said quietly. "I messed up, Lois. I was too afraid to tell you. Because...because of this moment, when I'd have to be afraid that my lies would have put too great a wedge between us. I was terrified of losing you. I still am."
But now he’s sick and he likely hopes that Lois will *not* kick a sick puppy.

"Of course not!" Clark wheezed as another cough wracked his body. "The only reason I didn't say yes was because of this!" he said, sweeping a trembling hand over the S on his chest.
Oh dear. Is it wise to tell her that he can’t marry her because she’s just a baseborn human and not fit to marry into the Kryptonian royal line?

"I don't know. It's not like there's a lot of knowledge out there on what's normal for a Kryptonian," Clark said, closing his eyes.
Hey, what if they develop flu-like symptoms when they tell lies? And now, Clark has managed to *really* make a mess of things and his body is telling him it would rather die than host a person like him?

Clark managed a smirk. "Hey, I may be a first timer, but I do know how it's done," he limply joked.
Yes, he’s a v…very patient man but he still knows where to put…things.
CLARK: *cough* Documentaries. *cough cough*

Mayson looked up, studying her, as if trying to discern whether or not Lois was telling the truth. "You would?"

Lois nodded. "Former Girl Scout's honor."
Good one! ‘Former Girl Scout’ as in they kicked her out for lying rotflol

The other woman nodded in turn, slowly, as if not quite trusting the entire situation not to backfire on her somehow. "All right."
Nah, what’s the worst that could happen? Her car getting bombed again?

"Now you listen here. This is Mayson Drake, Deputy D.A. I need that number and I need it now, or so help me I will personally see to it that the police pay you a visit and get that number for me. Do you understand?"
Oooh! So, he’ll say ‘Yes, ma’am. When they arrive and provide proper credentials, I’ll be happy to hand the number over.’?

"Dr. Klein? It's Lois Lane," she said by way of an introduction. "I know it late, but Superman needs your help."

"What?" Dr. Klein said after another yawn.

"Superman. He's in trouble. He needs your help, right now."

"What's going on?" At least he sounded a little more alert now.
What’s he thinking is wrong? Superman’s Girlfriend is calling in the middle of the night. Most likely, Superman took one of the green pills and now has developed some medical issues. Or, maybe, he’s had a zipper malfunction.

Lois didn't know what to say to that. Clark was quite literally placing his life in her hands. It humbled and terrified her, all at the same time.
But that’s what she had asked him to, earlier that night.

A heartbeat later, the paramedics entered the room. It wasn't a huge bedroom by any means, so Lois made herself useful by leaving the room.
I wonder what they’re going to think and chat about, after finding Superman in the bedroom with two knockouts. Also, why not just cut him out of his uniform and muss up his hair? They’d never recognize him.

"Thanks...for everything tonight. I'm glad Clark had someone he could trust and come to when he was in trouble. I...I know you and I haven't gotten along in the past but...well...you aren't so bad," Lois said in halting tones. She gave Mayson a tentative smile.
Well, Lois *does* need a maid of honor.

Please, be okay, she silently prayed as Mayson pulled away from the curb.
Well, he’s got to be. Otherwise, she’d have to end up with Mayson and that would be a really…weird ending.

Looking forward to the next part! hyper

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful, and having Mayson in on the secret is perfect.

Framework4
Kerth
Kerth
"It's not like that! She'd almost died and I..."

"Oh!" Lois spat, cutting him off. "She almost died! Well then, maybe I should go put myself into mortal peril too, so you'll finally be honest with me for once!"

Yeaaaaahhhh...not the best argument there, Clark. razz

"I know," Clark said quietly. "I messed up, Lois. I was too afraid to tell you. Because...because of this moment, when I'd have to be afraid that my lies would have put too great a wedge between us. I was terrified of losing you. I still am."

Sure, Clark, but when Lois asked you to marry her, you had your answer to the question of whether she loved Clark or Superman. Fear over losing her is not a suitable justification for waiting, because it will cause you to continue to wait. I stand by my earlier suggestion that he just spin into the suit before he took off for Japan. laugh

"Clark trusted you enough to help him tonight. I think he'd want you to come. And...I want you to come. Look, you and I have had our differences. And maybe we don't really like each other all that much but...I'd feel better, if you came with us."

Hmmm...awfully charitable of Lois. She's not usually one for playing nice! rotflol I wonder if Mayson and Lois will end up being friends by the end of this story. Neither of them seem to have too many!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi, Virginia!

And in more ways than one.

Oh yeah!! devilsplat

Clark not telling Lois his secret because he needed to know if Lois loved him for him, not Superman... sure puts a kink in his loving her. Truth be told, I bet it's more along the line that when it came to Lois, he didn't have the self-confidence in Clark to tell Lois the truth, especially after he told her on the bench that he loved her (before she accepted Luthor's proposal); therefore, putting the blame squarely on Lois's shoulders is doing her a disservice and makes her sound awfully shallow (then, again, she did accept Luthor'r proposal when not being in love with him and being in love with Superman). This isn't a comment on your story per se, DC, but that plotline from canon in general. After Lois rejected Superman to date Clark is really when he should have told Lois. Big ol' chicken!

Clark definitely has his baggage. He's been tossed aside in one suit, only to be propositioned in the other, then both get shoved aside while she almost marries a man he knows she doesn't love. So he's perhaps justifiably nervous about the "will she love Clark or Superman" thing. But after 6 months and a marriage proposal...well...his excuses are smoke in the wind.

It's ironic that Clark used Mayson learning that he was Superman as a way to let her down gently. Although, it was tackless to say (while she's in the room) that the real reason he couldn't be with Mayson was that she wasn't Lois. (So much for letting her down gently).

Well, to be fair, he never wanted Mayson to find out. And no one said that's how he let her down. I think Mayson always knew in the show that she didn't really have a chance with Clark, and that's why she was so aggressive in trying to pursue him and change that. Why else would she offer a weekend away in the woods with him so quickly after meeting him (The Eyes Have It)?

I was worried about Superman being in the hospital until I remembered that he had been in the hospital before during Top Copy. Jeffery C. (the guy who answered the phone at STAR Labs), isn't he the guy who tried to develop a virus from Kryptonite? The same one who framed Lois for her informant's murder in Metropolis V. Lois Lane? You really did jumble up the timeline in this story.

That's exactly what I was thinking. He's already been to the hospital in Top Copy, not that that would make him any less nervous about the prospect of going back! smile Jeff is just a guy I made up. No connection to any other plotlines.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LMA
What an interesting situation--to have Mayson be fully 'in' on everything, for Lois and Mayson to get along, and for Mayson to be helping them (probably) in their most scary situation yet! I like it, DC, and the way you have set it up does really create a reality where I can see this easily playing out notworthy.

I was really feeling for Lois--to put yourself out there so thoroughly with a proposal and then have your boyfriend ditch you during it, show up at your 'rival's' house, and then find out the boyfriend has a secret identity and has been lying to you--(And!!!) that this woman also KNOWS his biggest secret! That is a lot to take in help thud. It would completely rattle anyone...

Curious to see how things play out at the hospital. And looking forward to when Lois and Clark can talk--without so many distractions.

Excited for more!!! smile
Laura

Thank you! I've been wanting to do a story with Mayson in the know for a long time now, so it was a relief to finally have an outlet for it.

I do feel for Lois. She's done nothing wrong, but keeps getting kicked in the teeth here. I hope she can weather the storm.

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
HI, Michael!

Thanks for the birthday wishes! smile

So, that would be an ‘oops’, then? On the plus side, at least Lois didn’t find them in bed together. *Then* ‘I thought you knew’ would have been *really* awkward.

Mayson: evil

Or they played ‘ADA and Naughty Vigilante’.

She detained him? wink

Yes, but keeping Mayson here won’t make Clark any less embarrassed

Lois: My point exactly.

Yeah, he’ll put his foot in his mouth four times trying to explain why she found him at his professional caregiver’s apartment, suffering from what *could* be an STD.

Only four? He must be getting better.

Well, he *is* a Kryptonian lord. Is having a professional caregiver giving him care considered cheating?

Clark: Um, I thought that was required by law?

Won’t help. Otherwise, she’d already know at least…37 times.

And that's just this week!

That’s easy. When she gets all annoyed at the costume for restricting access during naughty times, it means she wants Clark Kent. If, on the other hand, she suggests he keep it on, it means she is only there for the cheap thrill of…dating a super hero.

rotflol

But now he’s sick and he likely hopes that Lois will *not* kick a sick puppy.

Lois: No, I won't kick a sick puppy. But I might put him down if he's sick enough.
Clark: help

Oh dear. Is it wise to tell her that he can’t marry her because she’s just a baseborn human and not fit to marry into the Kryptonian royal line?

Of course it's bad! He needs to tell her the truth - he's already married to the queen of Krypton.

Hey, what if they develop flu-like symptoms when they tell lies? And now, Clark has managed to *really* make a mess of things and his body is telling him it would rather die than host a person like him?

rotflol

CLARK: *cough* Documentaries. *cough cough*

Don't forget all the, ah, research papers.

What’s he thinking is wrong? Superman’s Girlfriend is calling in the middle of the night. Most likely, Superman took one of the green pills and now has developed some medical issues. Or, maybe, he’s had a zipper malfunction.

It's been more than four hours?

Well, Lois *does* need a maid of honor.

Lucy: Hey!!! mad

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Framework4
Delightful, and having Mayson in on the secret is perfect.

Thank you! Glad you are enjoying it! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[/quote][quote]Yeaaaaahhhh...not the best argument there, Clark.

Clark: *hides under the blanket* I'm trying...

Sure, Clark, but when Lois asked you to marry her, you had your answer to the question of whether she loved Clark or Superman. Fear over losing her is not a suitable justification for waiting, because it will cause you to continue to wait. I stand by my earlier suggestion that he just spin into the suit before he took off for Japan.

He did! And that's why he was going to tell her the truth. Which he should have done before flying off.

Hmmm...awfully charitable of Lois. She's not usually one for playing nice! I wonder if Mayson and Lois will end up being friends by the end of this story. Neither of them seem to have too many!

They will definitely see a bit more eye to eye after this.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Mayson and Lois going head to head is the absolute least of Clark's troubles!

He nodded. "Yes. I thought I would fix the leak and save as many people as I could, then swing by your place with an offering of wine and chocolates as part of my apology. But the longer I stayed at the accident, the sicker I felt. I've never experienced anything like this. I've never been sick before. I barely made it back to Metropolis. Mayson's place was closer than either your apartment or mine. I landed just in time. I passed out just after I landed and she found me."

Superman has faced radioactivity before, it has even been used to cure him during the whole Top Copy episode. So that makes me wonder what was in that particular reactor to make his body react in such a manner? Perhaps Lois - once the immediate crisis is averted - can investigate that whole situation. After all, anything that can make him so seriously ill cannot be good for the rest of humanity.

It was her turn to nod. She brushed her hand over his forehead. He felt inconceivably hotter beneath her touch.

If Clark was exposed to radiation I should think he would be radioactive has well. That means Mayson and Lois will both be affected.

"Dr. Klein...he doesn't know," Clark quietly warned her. "I'd like to keep it that way. Unless...unless it becomes absolutely necessary. I'm trusting you to make that decision. I'm trusting you to make all the decisions, if I'm not able to."

In the series Bernie was kept in the dark, just as you are doing now. Why? I should think it would be important for him to know. Bernie might be a little fuzzy sometimes, but he understands the big picture once it is explained.

They left the apartment together, with Lois letting Mayson lead the way. It was a strange feeling, to be getting along with the woman who'd once been her most hated rival. But, in a way, it was kind of nice to drop that animosity toward her. More than that, it was a relief. Especially now, now that Lois knew Clark wasn't interested in Mayson in that way.

Letting go of resentment is not easy, but I'm happy to see in this story Lois is willing to try in Mayson's case. After all, she is not Linda King!

Last edited by Morgana; 10/24/16 07:37 AM. Reason: Additional comments

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
HI, Morgana!

It's definitely not the radioactivity that's affecting him. I went with the mystery illness from Home Is Where The Hurt Is. So the poor trapped workers only have to deal with the high levels of radiation they were exposed to. smile

Radiation seemed to be...only as inconvenient as the show needed it to be. The only time we saw Clark as being a threat to regular people after being exposed to radioactivity was during that rather regrettable Nazi episode with the bomb in the mine tunnel. All the other times, he was good to go - Luthor's nuclear leak, his treatment for ingested kryptonite in Top Copy, even the reactor leak he was tending to while Lois was on that rigged up mat doing jumping jacks after she learned his secret (episode name escapes me at the moment). So maybe he had some sort of natural shield to it that neutralized it enough for him not to be a threat to others? Who knows? I just followed along with the "he usually isn't a threat" trend.

I could see Bernie being let in on things if the need came. But right now, CK=S isn't really relevant to the treatment. So keeping him the dark is the better option - after all, you can never untell a secret. smile

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Vicki!

Oh, dear, it’s been… shock oh dear!
*Then* ‘I thought you knew’ would have been *really* awkward.

Mayson: /thinks she can use this idea in a future episode/
evil

ER: Or they played ‘ADA and Naughty Vigilante’.

She detained him?
MASYON: /hides handcuffs/ He’s been a naughty *naughty* boy!

Only four? He must be getting better.
laugh He’s sick and can’t talk *that* much.

Clark: Um, I thought that was required by law?
LOIS: /looks up division of property laws for Kryptonian Lords/
LAWS: The previous female partner has to remain at the Lord’s disposal in case he requires urgent stress release and the current female partner is not available or sufficient.
LOIS: cat mad
NOR: [Linked Image]

Lois: No, I won't kick a sick puppy. But I might put him down if he's sick enough.
Clark: /must get better soon. Quick, some chicken noodle soup!/
clap

Of course it's bad! He needs to tell her the truth - he's already married to the queen of Krypton.
clap
CLARK: [Linked Image] What a great excuse!
LOIS: mad
CLARK: [Linked Image]

Don't forget all the, ah, research papers.
laugh

It's been more than four hours?
[Linked Image]

ER: Well, Lois *does* need a maid of honor.

Lucy: Hey!!! /Doesn’t like blondes either/
evil
CLARK: It’s a big wedding. You could share?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Michael!

Hi Vicki!

Oh, dear, it’s been… oh dear!

No worries! I always enjoy your comments, no matter when they come in.

Lois: sick

He’s sick and can’t talk *that* much.

Clark: Finally, some kind of reprieve!

LOIS: /looks up division of property laws for Kryptonian Lords/
LAWS: The previous female partner has to remain at the Lord’s disposal in case he requires urgent stress release and the current female partner is not available or sufficient.

Everyone: Yikes! peep

CLARK: It’s a big wedding. You could share?

Lois: Any chances I can get a green, radioactive stone made into the husband...err, *cake* cutting knife?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
smile1

Lois: /Does not enjoys beautiful visuals/
evil

[Kryptonian Laws]

Everyone: Yikes!
Right? They’re fun, though devil

Lois: Any chances I can get a green, radioactive stone made into the husband...err, *cake* cutting knife?
clap

wave Michael

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard