Print Thread
#272038 10/08/16 08:32 AM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Hi, y'all! I'm back! smile1

I currently have four longer tales I keep pecking at in between health crises (illness, hospital stays, generally feeling lousy) and general life interruptions, but earlier this week I opened a treatment I had on this, decided to jot down a few notes, and this came out. Hope some FoLCs like it.

I'd initially thought to include this as one of the First Sight series of vignettes, but I don't think it qualifies. So it will have to stand on its own two feet and reach out, waiting to be picked up and cuddled. Don't worry, it doesn't bite.

But it would like some feedback from all you good people.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Kerth
Kerth
Terry! Welcome back! wave

I'm sorry to hear that you've had health problems. I hope you're on the way back to full health now.

This was fantastic. You did a great job of getting into Lex's (or is it Alexander's?) head. Right up to the bitter end he was unable to admit his role in all the damage he caused. No one likes to think they're a monster, right? I also found it wonderfully ironic that he was clinging to the hope that Superman was going to save him. Superman! After everything he had done to destroy our hero, it was delicious to have him think it didn't matter or that somehow Superman's instincts to save people could save him. Thinking of himself as an innocent was a brilliant touch.

I loved the last minute reveal! I enjoyed Clark's reactions. And I loved the research you did, with all the minutia of death row.

I'm glad you're back. I hope we see many more of your stories in the near (and distant) future. thumbsup

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
It's great to see another story from you, Terry. You've captured Luther's slimy ways well. How like Clark to reveal his secret to Luther in such an understated manner.

Joan

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Welcome back Terry!!! Hang in there. Writing helps recovery. Good vignette. I like Lex's bit of revelation at the end.
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I find writing a great way to get out of one's own head (and away from reality) and into someone else's. You demonstrate that brilliantly here. You show Lex's ego and superiority, his belief that he hasn't done anything worth dying for, and also his inner fear that he refuses to share with anyone else.

I wondered if Clark would reveal something to Lex at the last second, remove his glasses. But the red eyes makes more sense, since removing his glasses might project sadness at this event. While Clark might not like death, I don't see him as sad at Lex's passing.

Beautifully written. clap Feel better soon.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Welcome back to the boards, Terry! So sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope you are on the mend now.

That being said...

This story was magnificent. I loved all the little details throughout that pulled me in and made me walk right alongside Lex as he faced his final comeuppance. And the little revelations throughout - Lex deciding that a sports figure was suddenly important if it meant he could live, that the idle talk is distracting him in a positive way, etc - all leading up to the ultimate, final revelation about his two archenemies.

You also did a fantastic job in capturing Lex's "voice." His complete arrogance and self importance - Lois would leave Clark for him, Superman would save him - even as he's being humbled by facing his mortality. Well done!!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow--this was amazing, Terry! clap clap clap

Your ability to capture Luthor's voice gave me goosebumps on many occasions. It was so eerily real, so precise--the way that you were able to find his mannerisms, his word choices, his amazingly high perception of himself wink. Oh--and the use of 'Alex'/'Alexander' really had a lot of impact, btw.

I was so easily drawn into the situation. You did such a great job of putting just the right amount of specifics into what was happening. The story's details were 'real' enough to know how serious the situation was for Lex, but you left out the details that didn't need explained, things that would have made Lex's march to death (and his death) more graphic.

Clark's red eyes! Wow--the visual of that notworthy ! Lex so clearly seeing Clark looking at him (as he sits dying), and then knowing at that last moment--his last living breath--that Clark IS Superman. I did not miss the irony that in Lex trying to expose Clark by yelling, he inhales more of what is killing him. Brilliantly played hail.

Amazing job! I'll be looking forward to those stories in the works then smile...
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Bonjour !
I'm delurking to tell you how awesome your story is.
You sneak into LL's mind accurately and frighteningly, to the last down-to-earth tidbit... I was torn between a smirk and incredulous astonishment when he thought Superman would rescue him. How typical. After all Lex's attempts to kill him, and knowing Superman was well aware of it, too! In a way, it's a back-handed compliment to Superman's values.
For a Frenchwoman whose country has abolished the death penalty, your story was quite chilling... and yet, considering who Lex is and what he did (or ordered it done), this is another kind of Justice.
The revelation at the very end was a kind of poetic justice, an ironic one with very dark undertones, too... and it shows how much Clark was shaken by Lex's actions. This taunt was kind of cruel, in a way, and Clark is anything but cruel... This was enlightening to see how far Clark could be pushed.
Thank you.
PS : I do hope your health will be better.

Kerth
Kerth
Loved this! This story is particularly special for how you've found some true emotions hiding behind these characters. Lex is hiding his fear and his desperate wish to be saved under his arrogant and aloof manner. Clark, who cares so deeply for everyone else, hides the ugly truth that he's relieved by Lex's death. That the two of them connect at the end, that last cruel irony, is written brilliantly. Powerful super-short, so well done! thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Ooh, all the lovely feedbacks! Thank you all for your positive comments and for your good wishes for my health to improve. I'm not sure how well my body will respond - I've reached that certain age when it's more realistic to hope for a slowdown of the deterioration than to plan for a full recovery. But I have good doctors, so we'll see what happens.

Sue S. - My take on Lex is that he thinks he's right no matter what anyone else believes. This hubris has invaded every aspect of his life for so long that it's taken root and driven out any inherent decency or kindness. That's why, instead of fearing Superman, he challenged the hero at their first meeting ("Let the games begin!") to a contest, one which he was certain he would win. Even facing his imminent death, he can't admit he was ever wrong or even truly defeated. To me, that's the tragedy of Lex Luthor.

scifiJoan - Thanks. I was working on finding the "inner Lex," if you will, and it looks like I hit pretty close to the mark.

VirginiaR - I don't think Clark is pleased that Lex is dead either. But I did want to show that he was glad that the pressure Lex placed on his life was now gone. As far as "getting out of one's own head," I'm always pleased to do that. It's dark and scary in there. Of course, my muses cackled over the cauldron of this tale more than once. And they don't "bwahahaha" in harmony.

Deadly Chakram - Thanks for the kudos. I'm glad the small details didn't distract you from the central theme. Lex' arrogance had to come through. I couldn't let him weep and beg for his life. It would have been out of character.

LMA - You're too kind. I wanted to put in enough details to outline the locale and the situation, but not so many that it turned into a landscape. I'm glad you thought the balance was effective. I couldn't let Clark stand up at the very end and announce that he was Superman. It had to be a personal revelation. I even considered having Clark interview Lex just before the execution, but that would have turned into a negotiation, a la "Save me or I reveal your secret!" And maybe - just maybe - Clark knew Lex would be startled into drawing in a big lungful of air to shout out the secret as he momentarily forgot what he'd be inhaling. One last act of mercy from Superman?

Millefeuilles - Thank you for your insightful comments and for delurking. You should come out from the shadows more often. Yes, Lex' self-delusion that Superman would "rescue" him was not one of his best thoughts. And I deliberately refrained from having Lex plan to apologize for all the bad things he'd done or tried to do to Superman. That would have been terribly out of character. If you've read some of my other work, you'll know that while I don't focus on death and suffering exclusively, neither do I shy away from it. I was actually going for "chilling" in this tale, so I'm glad that came through to you.

Groobie - Lex and Clark connected? Hmm. That wasn't my intention, but I can see where you got that. Clark's reveal was certainly a personal message to Lex. I prefer to think, instead of Clark being relieved by Lex' death, that he's relieved that he and Lois won't have to lose sleep wondering when he will show up next and what devastating scheme he'll bring with him. But your thoughts and reactions are perfectly legitimate, especially since I try not to tell my readers how to think about what I've written.

I have a few longer stories I keep poking to see if they're ready to take out of the oven. Hopefully at least one of them will be sufficiently baked by the end of the year, just in time to get lost in the annual Kerth furor.

Begin editorial comments:
I believe that any society has the right to invoke any reasonable and equitable punishment for wrongdoing which it desires, which means that I take no position on whether the US or France is "right" on the question of capital punishment. This story should not be read as any kind of endorsement or condemnation of the death penalty.
End editorial comments.

Thanks for letting me play in this fun sandbox. See y'all soon!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
Begin editorial comments:
I believe that any society has the right to invoke any reasonable and equitable punishment for wrongdoing which it desires, which means that I take no position on whether the US or France is "right" on the question of capital punishment. This story should not be read as any kind of endorsement or condemnation of the death penalty.
End editorial comments.

Thanks for letting me play in this fun sandbox. See y'all soon!

Terry, I NEVER thought that you endorsed or condemned capital punishment. As a matter of fact, I read your story as a very factual and down-to-earth tale, with Lex reaping his just rewards in the US system he lives in. As it is proper.
Living in a different country with a different legal and justice system doesn't mean I cannot appreciate nor understand facts that are out of my experience.
On the contrary, I really admire that you told what you had to, without judgement or criticism. The most chilling is that your Lex isn't even a monster, he is a rational warped being caught to the end in his reasoning.
And I really understand Clark's relief. Not having to watch over his shoulder anymore, fearing Luthor's next scheme, must be a huge relief.
clap

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Millefeuilles, please understand that I put that comment in for everyone, not just you. The only reason it appears in my later post is because I forgot to put it in my first post. I should not have pointed my finger at France, because there are intelligent and reasonable people on both sides of that particular debate in most countries.

I view Lex as a greedy psychopathic amoral opportunistic monster, but he doesn't view himself that way. Except for the long-form "Road" trilogy my muses forced me to write, I've always presented him in that manner, and that's what I was trying to show in his point of view.

Here's another note. When my muses tossed this idea to me, it was going to be a story where the reader thought it was Lois' execution, and it wouldn't be made clear until the very end that it was really Lex who was about to die. But I couldn't figure out how to show a Lex-centered internal monologue that sounded like Lois. Lois is sure of herself most every time she makes a choice, but that's because she adheres to a legal and moral standard (she'll break into an office to find evidence to help convict a criminal but not to advance a personal agenda or steal money). Lex, on the other hand, thinks only of enriching himself and accruing more power and influence. If he orders a break-in, he expects personal gain and never mind any plebeian concepts such as "right" or "wrong." For him, they simply don't exist as objective standards.

Anyway, enough pontificating. Let's read (and write) some more L&C fanfic!

Last edited by Terry Leatherwood; 10/22/16 11:41 PM.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow, this was very good. I was drawn into the story right away and was following along on all the details -- really intrigued by how Lex was waffling between terror and arrogance, which as a weird combination but completely worked and made it seem more real. But then, the moment he was thinking about Superman and then saw that Clark was there, that's the moment I was completely and totally involved in this story. I admit, I may have laughed just a bit when Luthor noticed that Clark was looking a bit predatory. And of course he would think that Clark was afraid Lois loved Luthor more than him. The real moment that made me fall in love with this story, though, is when Clark knowingly and PURPOSELY reveals his secret to Luthor...and Luthor, still wanting to destroy Superman (or rather, justly reveal him, in his mind) takes in the breath that will kill him, which is so ironically fitting -- and so telling of Luthor's entire downfall -- that I had to reread it a few times.

My favorite line is Luthor's description of Clark: "...the model of mid-western blandness. His face usually seems to wear either a smile that hints that he knows a secret none of the rest of us know, or an expression of firm determination to accomplish something he deems important." That's so perfect! And I love that Clark isn't HAPPY about Luthor's death, but the sun is certainly shining. He might be too good to be vindictively satisfied that Luthor's gone, but I'll feel triumphant enough for the both of us. smile

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Terry!
End of an Era
Wonder which era?

“It’s time, Mr. Luthor.”

The prison chaplain’s final message to the condemned.
Ah, I see. Lex finally managed to get Superman convicted for trying to subvert humanity and establish a Kryptonian colony on Earth while making the female population his professional caregivers.
LOIS: mad
CLARK: shock Lois, you can’t believe him! I *never* wanted more than *one* professional caregiver!

The state allows the condemned to choose the “method of passing from this world to the next,” as the warden so tenderly phrased it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Python's_The_Meaning_of_Life (Parth Vii)

Where is Superman? Surely he’s nearby, ready to swoop down and carry me away from my imminent demise. Or perhaps he’s waiting until the very last moment – for dramatic effect, of course. He has saved so many innocents over the last few years, so what’s one more? And he could come back at any time to repair any damage done during the rescue.
dizzy Probably had some prescription drugs for his last meal, huh?

The colorfully clad hero who has dedicated himself to saving lives must feel obligated to save mine.
SUPERMAN: Ribbon cutting at the local pet shelter or saving Lex Luthor. Hmm…tough call.

He must be anticipating my demise and my permanent absence from his wife’s life. He still fears that she will come to her senses, terminate her relationship with him, and return to my side where she belongs.
Yes. That must be it. Uh-huh.

Then he turns to me and stares at me through the window. “May God have mercy on your soul, Alexander Luthor,” he intones.
[Linked Image]
LUCIFER: We’re getting a new permanent resident, Maize.
MAIZIKEN: I know! It’s going to be *fun*!

So. Despite my desperate situation, it appears that I cannot count on Superman’s help.
What an ungrateful alien. After all Lex has done for the man.

Odd. I never realized how much the shape of his face resembles that of Superman. The expression also reminds me of the caped hero. His eyes—

Are glowing.

They’re glowing!
Oh dear.
CLARK: What? I did explain this to Tempus already. Can’t keep repeating myself, though, now can I?

And both he and Lois would sleep better tonight.
But what if Mrs. Cox was carrying Lex’s love child? What if Lex Jr. will now come after them?

What a grim tale you spun, Terry. Very well done! clap

I currently have four longer tales I keep pecking at in between health crises (illness, hospital stays, generally feeling lousy) and general life interruptions, but earlier this week I opened a treatment I had on this, decided to jot down a few notes, and this came out. Hope some FoLCs like it.
Oh dear, so sorry to hear that. frown

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Terry, it's always a pleasure to read one of your stories. Your research and character building in this piece are stellar, as usual, and this slice of Lex's life is fascinating. Thanks for sharing it with us.

lisa in the sky with diamonds

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard