Part Sixteen

In the Honeymoon suite of the Lexor Hotel Lana was happily admiring her reflection in the floor length mirror. Her petite figure was elongated by a sleeveless close fitting sheath of creamy satin with a short train. The diamond and emerald jewelry Daae had given her was simple and uncluttered. Altogether her appearance was the perfect ensemble for a woman preparing to renew her wedding vows.

Since arriving from Zurich she and Gregory had slept apart in anticipation of this event.

She thought about the RSVP’s that had arrived from guests, many of whom she did not know, most likely friends or business acquaintances of Gregory’s. Several of her co-workers from the museum and Chloe Foster, her roommate would be there as her Maid of Honor. She seriously doubted if she would spend any time with them today – or in the future. Gregory wanted to live in Switzerland and after the Age of Napoleon exhibit was officially unveiled her time at the museum would come to an end.

Pete Ross as well as every person she had invited from Smallville had returned the invitation with the NO box firmly checked off. Her mother had warned her, she should not have been surprised that so many of their former neighbors had sided with Clark Kent. Lana snorted mentally, those small minded people lived in an aptly named town; they had no idea that her relationship with Clark had been simply going nowhere. Gregory offered her everything. Someday soon she intended to present him with the one thing he wanted above all else – an heir.

Mrs. Lang’s voice from behind broke into her thoughts, her gentle tone soothing. “The dress looks lovely Lana! I am very happy that you and Gregory are renewing your vows. This means a lot to your father and me, seeing our daughter married.”

Lana turned and hugged her mother. “It wouldn’t be right not having Daddy give me away and you watching it all happen. Is he ready yet?” She asked.

“No, still fighting with his tie, after all the formal affairs he’s attended over the years, it should be simple. But he’s a little nervous; it’s not every day that a man walks his only child down the aisle.”

“Although he’s trying hard not to show it, Gregory is nervous as well. But Daddy will be just fine. This is a big day for our family! Th … thank you both for being so understanding,” Lana’s eyes gazed downward and for a moment she looked like a little girl embarrassed by her poor behavior. “I … I knew our courtship and marriage was a bit rushed, but Gregory didn’t want to wait until we came here to be married … neither did I.”

Her mother’s eyes welled up with tears and she nodded knowingly. “Yes it’s all right dear; you’ve made us both very … happy.” Behind the joyful tears Mrs. Lang could not help but be apprehensive about her daughter’s choice for a husband. Gregory was charming and attentive enough, but there was something in his manner that made her just a little uneasy.

Lex stood before the door to Arianna’s room, he could never understand why a woman as vibrant and intelligent as she would chose such a drab, lifeless shade like grey as the room’s main color. After all, this was supposed to be her favorite room in the penthouse. He shrugged mentally, it was her and that elite designer’s choice, and they said the color was tranquil, easy on the eyes. He thought it sterile and tedious. Nevertheless he had given her license to do whatever she wanted with the space.

Right now though they needed to depart, he believed in punctuality whether for business or pleasure. This day’s event would be pleasurable for him; Arianna’s emotion state on the other hand was another matter.

Knocking on the heavy oak door was out of the question, she was his wife and this was their home. No doors should come between them. Oddly enough it had been weeks since he had entered this room. As the door swung open, his eyes fell upon Arianna wearing a lavender dupioni silk robe, seated on an elegant lounge, staring out the windows, watching the day slipped lazily from morning to afternoon.

He cleared his throat and said, “My dear, it does not appear as if you are ready.”

The voice which responded, overlaid with the aristocratic British accent, was not firm and resolved, but lost and jagged with wretchedness. “Lex, please don’t ask me to go. It is distressing enough that he married her, but witnessing the exchange of vows is more than I can bear.”

Lex answered with a strange gentleness, “Do you really love him so deeply?”

Her sad brown eyes were a mixture of curiosity and caution. At first she wanted to deny it, but unfortunately; it was impossible to conceal the obvious from this man.

“Yes.”

His face was a studied composition of once sharp angles softly blurred by age, normally the public mask smiled with the ease of an accomplished manipulator. This afternoon that smile had been replaced by a deep frown.

“I have always suspected that you still loved him, nonetheless, Gregory has made his choice, just as you have made yours. This is the social event of the year, it is paramount that we, as the leading couple of Metropolis society, make our appearance. He is, after all, my business partner and as the papers says our ‘dear’ friend. He looked at his Rolex watch, “I expect you to be ready in fifteen minutes.”

Arianna looked up at him, realizing he would accept no excuse, her eyes previously brimming with sadness were now beacons of anger mingled with defeat.

“Fifteen minutes,” she answered mechanically, got off the couch and walked to her bedroom.

As he prepared for today’s event Daae listened to the second movement of Mozart’s Violin Sonata number 35, the piece was one of his favorites from the Austrian composer. His mind drifted back to his detractors and enemies such as the annoying reporter Armin Rissler and the editor - from years before. They were a problem, but with judiciously applied pressure in the right places their interference with his affairs had ceased. He mused, each decision for good or ill he had done had lead him to become one of the wealthiest men in the world.

His mind turned to Lana, she with her youthfulness and intelligence had brought spark into a life that heretofore had been consumed by the accumulation of wealth. In time, he hoped she would become enceinte and provide an heir. Normally he did not consider himself a jealous man, but the matter of her former boyfriend was of some note to him. He was certain Templar’s Daily Planet minion would be of assistance in that quarter, although he had no intention of telling Templar that.

His chauffer and butler interrupted his thoughts when they entered the master suite. The butler surreptitiously set about laying out his black tuxedo jacket, shoes, shirt and cufflinks. The burly Duncan said with a slightly disapproving tone, “Mister Templar is here to see you sir.”

His business acquaintance was supposed to be at the Lexor Hotel, he was curious to know why the man was here, he said, “Send him up.”

“Which vehicle do you wish to use today?”

“The Silver Spirit would be perfect for this occasion.”

“Very well sir. I will make sure the champagne is chilled. Is there anything special Mrs. Daae would like stocked in the bar?”

“No, we shall remain at the hotel after the réception de marriage. Just be certain a cup of hot chai tea and a vegetable platter are waiting for her tomorrow morning on our way to the airport. Please make sure the plane’s crew will have everything ready.” He thought for a moment and said, “Duncan, assign one of your associates to keep an eye on Mr. Templar.”

Duncan smiled tightly, nodded and exited the room. The administrative staff of DMG was not the only ones who disappointed of Jasper Templar. Moments later a fairly jovial Templar came in smiling.

“Congratulations again on your upcoming nuptials! I still find it rather odd that no one is standing up with you. After all, the gossip pages say her friend, Chloe something or other, will be with her acting as Maid of Honor.” Jasper said.

Gregory stood motionless as his butler carefully tied his black silk tie. He responded offhandedly, “Reading gossip is a poor use of temps Jasper. Lana wanted a proper ceremony with her family. It was her desire to have a Demoiselle d'honneur, but I have no wish to press anyone into service as meilleur home.”

Neither man spoke as the butler completed dressing Gregory then silently departed once his task was complete. Templar couldn’t resist saying, “Perhaps Lex Luthor could have stood up with you? After all, the tabloids and society columns keep referring to you as his ‘best friend’ in Metropolis.”

Daae stiffened and did not trust himself to answer that particular statement. The irony was not lost on him, the husband of his former lover acting as Best man at his wedding. Even he could not do something so cruel to Arianna. Instead he ignored the jab and decided to change the flow of the conversation and said, “Yes the media is also correct in referring to him as my business partner. As such it is important that I maintain the ‘upper hand’.” Changing the subject abruptly he continued, “I want all the latest reports for the LexCorp takeover on my desk as soon as I return from my voyage de noces.”

Templar nodded, “Bonesteel will deliver them personally.”

Daae studied his reflection carefully and then swiftly turned around, staring at Templar with appraising blue eyes which seemed to be cooler than usual. “Much as I cherish the lovely distraction my wife provides, it is time to get back to work. Every stock purchase must be flawless as we are closing in on LexCorp.”

Templar’s throat was suddenly dry and he swallowed before saying, “Of course,” without his usual swagger. Silently he reminded himself to look over the reports and make sure nothing was there that would leak his real intentions for DMG and LexCorp. They were at a critical juncture and the last thing he needed was for Daae to suspect the truth.

Abruptly, Gregory interrupted his thoughts, “Oh, has our source within the Daily Planet been able to break into either Lois Lane’s or her partner’s computer?”

“No not yet, why?” Templar asked.

“They need to be discredited as soon as possible. I have been extremely patient with Miss Lane over the past few years – it amused me to watch her struggle to put together an expose against DMG. But now that Mr. Kent is working with her, he might use her story as an act of revenge against me.”

Tempus nodded in agreement and said. “Our source will be ‘encouraged’ to find something tangible we can manipulate for our own use.”

“Good. Destroying his reputation will have a twofold use. No decent newspaper will hire him so his paycheck will be non-existent and any story he or his partner have produced will be called into question.”

A pensive Linda King and her date Preston Carpenter sat in a luxurious Cadillac, on route to the Lexor.

Preston took her ice-cold hand in his and gave it a little squeeze, “Why so quiet Linda? I thought attending an event like this would be to your liking?”

She turned to him, a gloomy expression plastered on her face. “Sure, if it was anybody else. But we don’t exactly have a friendly relationship with that snake. This is more a grand ‘entre’ to society for his pretty little wife. Who only three months ago was working in the bowels of the Metropolis museum as an assistant to her father! I wonder if the former Ms. Lang realizes just what kind of man she has married. It wouldn’t be to her benefit to disappoint him in any way. Speaking of disappointment, I hope this business arrangement with Jasper Templar doesn’t blow up in our faces. There’s something about him … he’s evil.”

The atmosphere within the car had plunged into further gloom, Preston leaned heavily back in his seat. Linda was correct, he would much rather be on the links than taking part in this ‘celebration’. Who did something so asinine? He had been married twice; in each case he did not see the need to renew those vows. Unfortunately, an invitation from Daae was more like a royal command which neither of them dared disobey. He too hoped that his alliance with Templar would be beneficial.

Stephanie Aronnax moved around the sunny bedroom of her tastefully appointed condo preparing for her employer’s wedding. While putting on a pearl necklace, she mused about the upcoming ceremony.

<Mr. Daae’s courtship and marriage is so different from when Arnaud and I married thirty years ago. Everything between them happened so abruptly. Some people with DMG are accepting it and some are not. Ah well, that’s not my concern. Perhaps they will have a proper life together.>

She rubbed scented lotion over her hands thinking of the many comments she had heard for the past few weeks from her co-workers. She also thought about Bonesteel and his curious habit of copying sensitive documents on her personal copier late at night. Sooner or later that behavior of his had to be addressed.

<This RoyalPoint Financials matter is what truly concerns me, next Saturday I must sit down with my friends Emma and Tina, between the three of us we should be able to ascertain the reason for this shell company and what Templar’s objective is. There is definitely more to RoyalPoint than meets the eye. Meanwhile, it’s time for me to finish getting dressed for this wedding.>

James Olsen slipped easily into his meticulously tailored tuxedo jacket in pure wool highlighted with satin lapels and buttons; he really enjoyed getting dressed for occasions such as this. It was an improvement over his usual uniform of white shirt and khakis. Besides he wanted to look his best, Daae’s wedding was bound to get a lot of media coverage. He made sure that the story would be on the second page rather than the society section for such weddings. The Daily Planet’s research department had informed him that a number of upwardly mobile women read the Daily Planet and would be eagerly reading every morsel about the fabulous pair.

Fortunately, Perry did not have Peggy Becker drop the bombshell in her column that Lana had been dating a Daily Planet staff reporter. He had heard that Kent had taken his girlfriend defection badly, but after a few days off was back at his desk. James admired the man for his determination to put the malevolent episode behind him.

No, for the Daily Planet’s purposes it was important that the soon-to-be-wed couple represented the ultimate contemporary fairytale. Lana was the smart young working woman who went to Europe on assignment and came back with a wealthy husband. She was to be depicted as a modern Cinderella success story. Still James knew where to draw the line between fact and fiction. If he didn’t, Perry White would call him on it, whether he was the Daily Planet's owner or not.

It was one of the reasons why the Planet had retained a loyal readership and was still holding its own in the emerging world of technology and the internet. The stories and reporters were first rate, especially Lane and Kent. He thought about how they exposed New Troy’s Governor Montgomery’s bullying tactics. Apparently, one of the mayors in their state infuriated the Governor by not endorsing him in his bid for the White House.

In retaliation, one of Montgomery‘s top aides had decided to teach the mayor a ‘lesson’ and had the docks and ferries around his city closed for two days for no apparent reason. The closures had caused massive problems for the city and a few dock workers were injured. At the time many thought this was through negligence on the part of the mayor. Happily Lois and Clark investigated the situation by going undercover; a heavily disguised Lois in the mayor’s office and Clark on the docks. The upshot was the governor and all of his cronies were now under investigation and his bid for the oval office was permanently stymied.

James thought gleefully, <They had scooped every newspaper and media outlet in the state. Now there was even talk of them being a shoo-in for a Kerth … possibility even a Pulitzer. Needless to say, the Daily Planet’s circulation for the days the series of article ran had been impressive to say the least.>

Perry was right to put them together as the ‘hottest team in town’.
He wondered what the intrepid duo could possibly do to top that story …

Peggy Becker popped a breath mint in her mouth as she got out of the cab and stood outside the Lexor Hotel, watching eagerly as the elite of Metropolis’ society entered the building. Daae had not invited her or any society columnist in the city to the event, but it didn’t stop her from asking some of the guests a few pointed questions about the bride and groom.

Some, like Daae’s assistant, Stephanie Aronnax, and her own boss James Olsen smiled at her and gave happy comments. Others seemed to almost grimace and avoid her altogether. She thought for sure that Preston Carpenter was going to punch her and Linda King looked like she had swallowed a nasty bug.

Arthur Chow had been invited, but his was the only name on the high-powered guest list that would not be attending.

But the most puzzling was watching Lex and Arianna Luthor; he was his typical, suave and self assured billionaire, shaking hands and smiling with the other guests as they entered the hotel. Arianna - normally a diva of fashion - wore a dark green gown that made her look positively gray, as if she were attending a funeral rather than a wedding.

Peggy did not consider herself an empathic person, but even a blind person could sense there were a lot of out-of-the-ordinary emotions surrounding this wedding. She speculated just how long the quickly formed Daae/Lang union would last in such an atmosphere.

“Come on, it’ll be fun Molly! When was the last time we hung out together?” Lois asked.

The voice on the other end of the phone sounded disappointed and distracted. {Yeah, it has been too long! But my computer consulting business won’t run itself; otherwise visiting the golf range with you would be the perfect way to blow off a little stream. Unfortunately, my newest client is under a great deal of pressure, he wants this program written up immediately. Can’t Lucy go with you?}

“Nope, she’s studying for her finals.”

Over the phone line a mischievous giggle reached Lois’ ears, much like a champagne cork bursting from the bottle. {What about that hot guy you’re partnering with. The one you call Kansas? He should be free.}

“Molly!” Lois answered, “Today is not a good day for him! His ex-girlfriend is getting married or renewing her marriage vows.”

The amusement turned to sympathy. {Oh no, that’s gotta hurt! All the more reason for him to get out of his apartment! Of course, I don’t know if he is in his apartment. But if he is, he shouldn’t be by himself.}

Lois bit down on her lower lip. Molly was not aware of what had happened between herself and Clark a few weeks ago. Only Ellen Lane knew and she wanted to keep it at that way. But she couldn’t deny wanting to help her ‘friend’ through what must be a tough day. Their work relationship had improved immensely, but she was reluctant to go any further. Despite the impressive front her partner at put up, he still hurting.

{Lois!} Molly’s voice broke through her musings. {At least stop by and offer to treat him to a coffee after leaving the driving range.}

“Okay, just to keep you quiet!” Lois groaned.

Across town in Clark’s slowly gentrifying neighborhood, he paced his apartment. Today, the normally spacious and bright loft seemed dim and oppressive. His mind was clouded with a myriad of thoughts. <What am I doing at home on a beautiful day like this? I should be outside enjoying the sunshine and the delights Metropolis has to offer. Maybe I should fly to Kansas and work the wheat fields with Uncle Wayne? Or perhaps like H.G. said make my debut as Superman?> He knew why he was feeling so agitated, anything not to think of the event that was taking place in the swanky Lexor Hotel - Lana’s ‘wedding’.

He was about to step onto the balcony, spin into the suit and leap into the air, when abruptly his thoughts were interrupted by a loud knocking at his door.

“Hey Clark, open up! It’s your old roommate!”

With steps taken at super speed he spun into street clothes and was opening the front door. He said with genuine relief, “Pete! What do I owe this visit?”

His friend walked inside and said. “One of the doctors had to work an extra shift; he gave me his tickets to the Metros’ football game. I thought since neither one of us is exactly doing handsprings about today’s ‘celebration’ we could go. What’s the worst that could happen? Maybe our favorite team will win for a change.”

Clark’s face split into a grateful smile. “A game would be great! Let’s get out of here!” Taking only a moment to grab his wallet and keys the two friends exited the apartment talking excitedly.

Fifteen minutes later Lois knocked on his front door, she waited for him to answer, but the apartment was silent.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.