Winner Takes All
Folc4evernaday (folc4evernaday@gmail.com)
Rated: PG-13
Part 19
Two Weeks Later…

It had been two weeks since their scare that had ended them in the hospital in the middle of the night. Sure enough, the spotting seemed to have subsided along with the nausea. Lois had had the restrictions on her pregnancy lifted but they were both still very cautious, unwilling to take a chance until Lois started the second trimester.

“Lois, CK, you’ve got a visitor.” Jimmy pointed out when they walked down the ramp to the newsroom the next morning.

“Linda, what are you doing here?” Lois asked coolly.

“Well, I haven’t heard back from you; I thought you’d forgotten about our deal. You are still investigating the Metros, aren’t you?” Linda inquired.

“Yes, we are, Ms. King. It’s been a busy few weeks.” Clark explained apologetically.

Linda smiled, giving Clark a once over. “I understand.” She smiled at them, “I got a guy that’s willing to talk about what’s been going down over at the Metro Club…I can bring one of you…He’s kinda skittish.” Linda shrugged. “Clark, what do you say?”

Lois’ eyes narrowed. Clark looked between Lois and Linda skeptically, “I don’t know..”

“You either want the scoop or you don’t. My guy says he’s got the inside track on the Metros. No offense, Lois, but you might scare him off.”

Clark gave a pleading look to Lois, unsure what to do. He was a bit surprised when she just nodded. “You sure?” He asked.

“Yeah, we don’t want to lose a possible lead on this.” Lois sighed. “I’ll see you later.”

“Okay.” Clark leaned in to give her a peck on the cheek before leaving.

Lois watched him leave with Linda, trying to squash the inner doubts that kept trying to surface. “It’s just business.”

“Hey, Lois, I got that coroner report you and CK wanted,” Jimmy said, laying a file on her desk.

“Thanks, Jimmy.” Lois nodded, brushing him off.

“You okay?”

“I’m fine.” Lois glared at him.

“Okay.” Jimmy backed away from her desk.

“Clark, this is Bibbo Bigowski. He knows everything that happens around here with the Metros.” Linda said, introducing him. “Bibbo, this is Clark Kent.”

“From the Planet?” Bibbo asked.

“Yes.” Clark nodded.

“Yeah, I’ve read your stuff. What can I do for you?”

“Ms. King said you had information about the Metros…concerning the drugs they were dealing with?” Clark asked.

“Yeah…That Toni Taylor…she’s an evil one. She and her brother took over their dad’s business a few years back. They got mixed in with this doctor that created these drugs…messed with the mind. Because of the Club’s…ahem…recreational activities..they used ‘em for kinda…eh…forcing the customer’s hand…if you will.”

“How did you find out about it?” Clark asked.

“I know a few guys that got hit real hard with the stuff…”

“And this doctor?” Clark asked.

“Name starts with a ‘M’. That’s all I know.” Bibbo said, holding his hands up.

Clark nodded, “Okay, thank you for your time.”

He followed Linda out of Bibbo’s club, “He didn’t seem skittish to me.” He said, cornering Linda.

Linda shrugged, “Hey, I don’t get along with Lois. I’m willing to share leads…but I don’t like spending any more time with her than necessary.” Linda smiled, running a finger down his arm, “I’m not that bad of company, am I?”

Clark shrugged his arm out of her reach, “I don’t appreciate what you’re trying to do.” He said coolly.

“Clark, I’m just teasing, sheesh,” Linda said, opening the door to the cab that had just pulled up. She looked at him expectantly when he didn’t get in with her. “Aren’t you coming?”

“I’ll walk, thanks.” He said, closing the door behind her. He then turned on his heel towards the remnants of the Metro Club. If there had been drugs in there, maybe he could try and find some clues to who this mystery doctor was.

“I thought you said Southside would be burnt to the ground, Martin. Half of it is still standing. I don’t like disappointments.” Bill Church glared across the table at Martin Snell.

“My apologies, Mr. Church. Superman showed up and ended up dousing out a majority of the fire. It…took us by surprise.” Martin said.

“It took you by surprise?” Bill Church mocked. “How’s this for a surprise? If you don’t have Southside under Intergang’s control by the end of the week your face will be the next one everyone sees on the milk carton, got it?”

Martin nodded, “Got it, Mr. Church.”

Lois drummed her fingers impatiently on her desk as she waited for Clark. It had been two hours. Something probably came up. A Superman emergency? She sighed, looking across the aisle at his empty desk once more.

“Boyfriend problems?” Cat sneered, as she approached Lois.

“What do you want, Cat?” Lois glared.

“I’m just stopping by to say, ‘hi.’” Cat smiled at her, “How’s the sex?” She whispered.

Lois’ eyes widened, “What are you talking about?”

“Oh, come on, don’t act coy. You have NEVER been this relaxed in your life.” At Lois’ blush, Cat continued. “Don’t worry I’m not saying anything. Some things are better left private. I figure you suffered enough a few years back. It’s good, isn’t it? Makes you wonder why you waited so long, huh?” Cat grinned impishly at Lois.

Lois glared at her, “You can go, now, Cat.”

“So, tell me, I’m dying to know. Are you two just having fun or is there more to it than that?” Cat asked.

Lois spotted Clark coming down the ramp and gave him a pleading look when he met her gaze. “Clark, what’d you find out?”

“Plenty..” He said, sitting down next to Lois. They both shot Cat a look.

“Okay, I get it. Three’s a crowd. We’ll talk later.”

Cat left and Clark gave her questioning look. “What was that about?”

“Nothing. She just surprises me sometimes.” Lois replied sweetly. “Where’s Linda?”

Clark shrugged. “I’m not sure. I went investigating around Hobb’s Bay and the wreckage of the Metro Club after she left in her cab. What is up with her anyway? I mean, she acts like there’s no such thing as boundaries..”

“Linda’s always had a problem with boundaries. Let me guess, she tried to hit on you?” Lois asked.

Clark nodded. “Her source did have some good information, but she was taking advantage of the situation if you ask me.”

“You’re the one that wanted to include her in the investigation.” Lois reminded him.

“I know.” Clark sighed. “Anyway, I found a clue in the wreckage of the Metro Club.” He pulled out a slightly burnt bottle marked ‘Revenge’ and handed it to her.

“What is it?” She asked.

“It’s got a very distinct scent to it.” He explained. “I think it may be animal based…which is what chemists use with pheromones. I think this is the drug being used by the Metros.”

Lois looked at it skeptically, “Not much to go on…”

“Oh, and I found out one other thing.” He pulled a paper out of his pocket. “Two soldiers were found in Hobb’s Bay last night. Henderson said it looked like they’d been there since last month.”

Lois nodded. “What’s the connection?”

Clark shook his head, “I’m not sure, but they had the same drug in their system…along with ID…for Bureau 39.”

“WHAT??” Lois’ eyes widened at the implication.

“Henderson said he’d fax us the autopsy report when it’s ready.” Clark said, “Meanwhile, I got us an appointment with the DA, Mayson Drake, that’s covering the case on Southside. We’re meeting her for lunch.”

“Nice.” Lois handed him the file Jimmy had given her. “Roarke and Harrington were drugged with the same drug.”

“The connection.” Clark nodded.

“Yep.” Lois nodded.

Clark glanced at the clock on the wall, “We better get going. We’ll be late for lunch.”

“I’m coming.” She muttered, following him up the ramp to the elevator.

“Ms. King, excellent work.” Martin Snell handed her an envelope filled with cash. “Keep them distracted. We can’t afford to have Lane and Kent on our tails. You will be compensated fully for your efforts.”

“So, I keep them looking at the Metros while you guys move in? What do I do if they don’t want to work with me? I mean, Lois and I don’t exactly get along.” Linda said.

“Get inventive. You’re an attractive woman. I’m sure you can figure something out.” Martin sneered.

Linda rolled her eyes. “Yeah.” She nodded then headed out, “Nice doing business with you, Mr. Snell.”

“Ms. Drake, this is my partner, Lois Lane.” Clark introduced the two women as they took their seats.

“Nice to meet you.” Mayson nodded. “You said you had a few questions about the case against the Skins.” Mayson prompted.

“Well, yes and no,” Clark began. They were interrupted by the waiter coming by with the menus. After pouring them all glasses of water and handing them the menus, the waiter left. “We’re investigating a possible connection between the fires that have erupted in Southside and a criminal organization…”

“Intergang.” Lois finished for him. Mayson seemed to tense up at the mention of Intergang.

“Tell me what you’ve learned,” Mayson said, taking a sip of her water.

“It’s a worldwide organization; been in existence for almost twenty years…”

Lois continued, “All they seem to do is acquire. Companies, other criminal organizations, even governments…”

“They just swallow them whole and start running them, always from a distance.” Clark narrowed his eyes, “You think they’re funding the Skins, don’t you?”

Mayson shook her head, “I can’t officially comment on what I think, but my gut does tell me Intergang is connected.”

“In the last month, the police department has slowed down…criminals have been getting away unless Superman apprehends them…What is your office doing about it?” Lois asked.

“Well, Superman apprehending criminals isn’t exactly a comfortable situation for me,” Mayson said with a chill in her tone.

“Well, if he’s the only one willing to stop the criminals…” Lois argued.

“He’s a vigilante,” Mayson argued.

“That’s not necessarily true…” Clark argued.

“He’s trying to help.” Lois cut in. “Something the Metropolis P.D. has no problem taking advantage of might I add.”

Mayson shrugged her off, “Look, I have my opinion, you have yours. We’ll leave it at that.”

“Ms. Drake, two soldiers bodies were found in Hobb’s Bay last night…” Clark began, trying to change the subject. “The same drug was in their system that several other victims have been attacked with.”

“Revenge.” Mayson nodded. “It’s Intergang’s calling card. They leave it on their victims.” Mayson nodded. “A small exposure just increases the endorphins in your body, heightening your hormone level to the extreme. A lethal amount will kill you.”

“Wait a minute, you’re saying Intergang is behind Revenge?” Lois asked, confused.

“We had a source implicating the Metros in this,” Clark said.

“The Metros are a small time gang compared to Intergang,” Mayson said. “They could never get their hands on Revenge without the help of Intergang,” Mayson said.

Lois and Clark looked at one another in confusion. The pieces were beginning to fit.

“I say we go back and talk to this Bibbo Bigowski without Linda King interfering,” Lois said, sitting down next to Clark as they entered the conference room for Perry’s weekly staff meeting.

“I’ll make some calls and see if I can hunt him down,” Clark promised, giving her hand a gentle squeeze.

Perry entered the room, reminding them all of the Charity Ball the next night. Clark watched Lois as she took notes on the meeting. He still amazed him that Lois was carrying his child. He had finally gotten everything he’d ever wanted: someone to love and a child to call his own. He wanted to ask Lois to marry him, but he wanted to give her a proper proposal, not some spur of the moment proposal based on a pregnancy test. Lucy had gotten under his skin a few weeks ago when she had attacked him for not putting a ring on Lois’ hand after finding out she was carrying his child. He hadn’t known what to say when she’d compared him to Luthor.

She had insinuated Lois was having doubts about the stability of their relationship. He hadn’t seen any sign of her supposed doubts. Part of him suspected it was more Lucy’s insinuation, not necessarily Lois’ feelings. He had everything set. He just had to keep cool until tomorrow night.

TBC...

That's all for now. Have a great week. FDK appreciated as always.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube