Winner Takes All
Folc4evernaday
Part 17

It was ten o’clock. Clark was still fighting to control the fire in Southside. The fire workers and rescue teams were growing tired. Lois watched the footage from home. There had been a few fatalities and many injuries. The look on Clark’s face when the television crew had closed in on his face had been heart-wrenching. Somehow watching Superman in action and knowing it was Clark ... It seemed so surreal. She had admired Superman’s integrity and the way he had chosen to help others. Now knowing it was Clark--the father of her child—pulling out the injured… That changed the way she looked at the scene. Was this how a police officer’s wife felt? Watching the man she loved go to the rescue…watching the torment in his eyes...

He may be invulnerable. Well, aside from Kryptonite, but he wasn’t invulnerable emotionally. He was just as affected by this tragedy as the men and women he worked beside trying to put the fire out.

The front door swung open and Lucy closed it behind her, sinking down into the couch next to her. “I thought you had a date with Clark.”

“Something came up,” Lois said, motioning to the footage on the screen.

“Is Clark covering the fires? I heard about that. Lex was pissed. All the money he’s spent on rebuilding the area down the tube.”

“Well, we need to try and figure out who’s behind this,” Lois said sadly.

“Are you okay?” Lucy asked.

“Yeah. I’m fine.” Lois said briskly.

“You don’t seem fine,” Lucy said.

“I’m going to bed. I’ll see you in the morning.” Lois said, brushing her way past Lucy. Lucy narrowed her eyes in disgust as she watched the scene continue to unfold on the screen.

At around two a.m. Clark finally walked up to his front door. The fires had finally been put out and all the injured had been taken to the hospital. He hated rescues like this. Physically he was fine other than being a bit smoky and dirty, but emotionally it drained him. He opened his door and stepped inside only to be greeted by Lucy Lane sitting impatiently on his couch. “Lucy, what are you doing here?”

“I think we need to talk.” Lucy snapped irritably.

“Can’t it wait until morning? How did you get in here anyway?” Clark asked as he made his way into the kitchen for a glass of water.

Lucy followed him, “I found Lois’ key. That’s not the point. We need to talk about your priorities.”

“My what?” Clark asked, turning to face her.

“You blew Lois off tonight for a story! I mean, how cold can you be?”

“I didn’t blow her off. She knew exactly where I was. You don’t understand..”

“No, I don’t understand. I don’t understand why my sister’s having your child and yet you two aren’t even talking about it. Or why you’ve left her to question the stability of your relationship with her…I mean, you should at least make an honest woman out of her…That’s the least you could do.”

“Lucy, this is none of your business,” Clark said curtly.

“Lex would never…”

“You don’t know Luthor as well as you think, Lucy.” Clark snapped.

“What is that supposed to mean??” Lucy asked.

“My advice? Stay the hell away from him. His day will come and I’d hate to see you caught in the crossfire.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about. Lex is a perfect gentleman. He’s done so much to help this city. If you and Lois would get your blinders off you’d see that.”

“I’m not the one with blinders.” Clark snapped.

“Oh, and I am?” Lucy mocked. “I’m not blind, Clark. I know Lex didn’t get to the position he is in by being nice, but that’s no reason for you to lead a witch hunt against him.”

“I am not doing this. I’m exhausted. Now if you don’t mind, I’ve had a very long night and I would like to get some sleep…in peace.” Clark snapped.

“Oh, that is so typical!” Lucy snapped. “Just run away like every other man does…”

Clark turned on his heel, “I am not running away.”

“Oh, really? Sure looks like it to me. You blow off a date with my sister to chase a story until two in the morning. Who does that? Do you even care about how this is affecting Lois? What she must think about the fact that she’s pregnant with no sign of commitment from you?”

“This is none of your business.” Clark hissed out. “You need to leave.”

Lucy was quiet for a moment then finally spoke. “I don’t want to see Lois get hurt again.”

Clark sighed, “I’m not going to hurt her. This is between Lois and me. I appreciate that you’re worried about her, but breaking into my apartment to fight with me isn’t going to solve anything. Please leave.” He opened the door.

“You still never answered my question; are you going to marry Lois or not?”

“Good night, Lucy.” Clark closed the door behind her.

Exhausted. That’s how she felt. She’d tried to fix coffee again this morning, hoping she’d be able to handle it this morning but once she’d gotten a whiff of the smell it had been too much and she’d spent half an hour hovering over the toilet. Thankfully, Lucy had removed the smell from the apartment and gotten rid of the pot of coffee for her. After brushing her teeth and showering she finished getting ready for the day, lacking the usual spark she usually had in the mornings.

She was just finishing buttoning her blazer when she heard a knock at the door. “Lucy?” She called. No answer. “Fine. I’ll get it.” She made her way to the living room and unlocked the door. “Clark!” She gave him a good morning kiss. “I thought we were meeting at Cost Mart..”

He stepped inside the apartment, “I thought you might want some breakfast.” He handed her a cup of hot tea and a white pastry bag. “I wasn’t sure if you were doing any better with the coffee …hot tea and a plain croissant…”

Lois gave him a slow smile. “Thanks. How are you doing? That fire was pretty intense.” She took a bite of flaky croissant he had given her. “Mmmm..These are to die for. Where did you get them?”

“Uh, a little shop in Caen..” At her dubious look, he prompted, “France?”

“Oh.” Lois gave him a light smile, “Well, thanks. You didn’t have to go to all that trouble.” She sat down on the couch, enjoying the rest of the pastry. After emptying her stomach all morning it felt good to put something on her stomach. Clark took a seat next to her.

“It wasn’t any trouble. It only takes me two seconds to fly over there.” He explained.

Lois shrugged shyly, “Yeah, well, still. Thanks.” She leaned over to kiss him. “So, you never answered my question. How are you?”

“I’m fine. It was intense. I’m sorry about our date.” He replied.

“We’ll reschedule. No big deal.” She shrugged it off.

“You haven’t had any more nausea?”

“No.” She shook her head, finishing up the pastry. “I need to finish getting ready then we can head over to Cost Mart.” She patted his knee lightly, heading for the bedroom.

“What a waste of time.” Lois groaned, pushing the elevator button in the Daily Planet lobby.

“Well, we learned how much Mr. Church loves to talk about golf,” Clark said sarcastically, walking into the elevator with Lois. He pressed the button for their floor then turned his attention back to Lois.

“Clark, I know there’s more than what meets the eye here. I can feel it…I mean, Cost Mart is the only store that is everywhere Intergang has shown up. That’s not a coincidence. That has to be the same store Bobby was talking about.”

“Even so.” Clark shrugged, “We can’t write anything until we have proof. Being a complete bore isn’t reason enough to suspect Mr. Church.”

Lois rolled her eyes, “I will never understand men’s fascination for GOLF.”

DING

The elevator chimed, announcing the arrival on the newsroom floor. They stepped off the elevator and made their way to their respective desks. “Well, everyone has their hobbies.” Clark reasoned. “So, what’s the angle? Department store tries to run small businesses out of Metropolis?”

Lois sighed, “I don’t know.” She remarked bitterly. “There’s something we’re missing here. What’s been going on lately? Drugs at the Metro Club. Unexplained fires. Lucy kidnapped.”

“Don’t forget the mess with Harrington and Roarke,” Clark added. “They were drugged to remember?”

“Oh, I almost forgot about that,” Lois said, jotting some notes down on her pad.

“So, we should probably have the coroner check to see if there was any sign of this pheromone in their system as well. If there was, we may have found our connection.” Clark said.

“But what about those fires?” Lois asked.

“I don’t know,” Clark said. “A competitor maybe? My vote is on Intergang.”

“You don’t think Lex is behind it?” Lois asked.

“No. It doesn’t seem like his style.” Clark said. “Burning down just the Metros property…maybe, but not the entire Southside district.”

“Intergang?” Lois prompted.

“Maybe or maybe someone entirely different.” Clark reasoned.

“CK, this fax just came in. I thought you and Lois might want to see this.” Jimmy handed him the papers.

“What is it?” Lois asked as Clark scanned the fax in his hand.

“LexCorp’s entire stock of shipments were blown up last night.”

“So, Southside was a diversion?” Lois guessed.

“Somebody’s after Luthor,” Clark said grimly.

“But who?” Lois asked.

“I was very impressed when I read over your resume. We are always looking for new people.” District Attorney, Ryan Knox said extending his hand to the young blonde across from him.

“Well, I’ve been working at the DA’s office in Smallville for four years now. I decided it’s time to spread my wings a bit and branch out.” The woman replied.

“Well, I’m sure you’ll find Metropolis is a good fit for you. You’ll be working with Lucy Lane. She just started about a month ago, but she’s really good.” Ryan gestured towards Lucy’s desk. “Lucy, I’d like to introduce you to the newest member of our team. This is Lana Lang.”

“Pleased to meet you,” Lucy said, extending her hand to shake Lana’s.

“Likewise.” Lana gushed.

Ryan left them to get more acquainted. “I guess I’ll show you around,” Lucy said.

One Week Later…

Lois sat in the waiting room, impatiently tapping her foot against the carpeted floor. Clark still wasn’t there. He said he wanted to go with her this morning. Then this morning he’d left a message that he was running late and would meet her at the doctor’s office. Hopefully, whatever had delayed him it wouldn’t take too long. She looked nervously at her watch again. He promised he’d be there. Hopefully, Superman wouldn’t get in the way. She still didn’t know how she felt about the pregnancy. The wave of emotions she’d been on the last few weeks were a roller coaster.

She looked over towards the television set in the waiting room where LNN was reporting on a plane in Paris that was having trouble landing. She moved closer to the television set so she could get a better idea what was going on. A familiar red, yellow and blue figure appeared on the screen, “This just in. Superman, the famed Man of Steel from Metropolis, is flying alongside the stricken airliner.”

Lois crinkled her nose, a bit taken aback. “How did he hear a cry for help all the way in Paris?”

“Superman is setting the big aircraft down, gently as a feather. It’s almost on the ground…and now…he’s done it! The plane is safe. Superman saved the day!” Lois breathed a sigh of relief as she watched the scene unfold. Clark had done it again.

Just then Clark entered the waiting room. “Hey, honey, sorry I took so long. There was a wreck on I-9 and….. I’m sorry I’m late.” He gave her a peck on the cheek. Lois did a double take, looking from the television screen to Clark…then back again. “What?” He asked.

“Lois Lane?” The nurse called.

“Uh, nothing.” She said. “Come on.”

Once she had undressed and wrapped the thin hospital gown around her she made her way back into the room where the Ultrasound technician was waiting by the hospital bed with Clark. “Ready?” She asked.

“I guess,” Lois replied skeptically, lying back on the bed.

The technician lifted up her gown and pulled out a white tube of gel, “Now, this is going to be a little…”

“Ah!” Lois cried out when the cold gel hit her skin.

“Cold.” The technician finished.

“No kidding,” Lois muttered dryly. Clark let out a low laugh. She held his hand as the technician took a small tube and began rolling it against her abdomen. She clicked a button on the machine and a loud thumping could be heard throughout the room. “What is that?” Lois asked.

“That’s the baby’s heartbeat.” She answered. “We’re definitely pregnant and…”

“It’s so fast,” Lois commented in wonderment. She looked over at Clark who was watching the screen the technician had just pulled up with intrigue. She squeezed his hand and he looked down at her, giving her a supportive smile.

He then turned his attention back to the screen. “Okay, it looks like you’re about twelve and a half weeks along…” The technician said, looking at the screen. She pointed at the middle of the screen where an object seemed to be pulsating. “There is your baby’s heart.” She pointed at another part, “Your baby’s head…”

Lois stared at the screen in wonderment. This was her baby. The little parts the technician was pointing out seemed lost on her. She couldn’t really tell what she was talking about. Did that make her a bad mother? She felt the tears falling down her cheeks at their own accord. Clark leaned down next to her and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She noticed the technician had left the room. Where did she go? She looked at Clark expectantly. He seemed able to read the question in her eyes.

“She went to print off copies of the ultrasound for us. I’m not really sure what she was pointing at either….even with my enhanced vision. I can make some of it out, but with the baby constantly moving the way it was…it’s hard to make out.”

She smiled up at him. Even Superman couldn’t see everything the technician had pointed out. “I love you.” She whispered, leaning up to kiss him.

Clark placed a protective hand over her abdomen in awe, “Pregnant,”

“Pregnant,” Lois repeated shakily.

After finishing up with the ultrasound technician Lois was moved to an exam room where they waited for the doctor. Clark sat in a chair next to Lois who was waiting on the exam table nervously. “I wonder what’s taking them so long…” Lois sighed, looking around the room. She stared at the poster on the wall describing the different stages of pregnancy, uncertain of how to imagine herself going through everything depicted in the diagram.

A knock at the door announced her doctor’s arrival and she gave a weak smile when she recognized Dr. Reeve come through the door, “Everyone decent?”

“If you count a hospital gown as decent,” Lois muttered with a half smile.

She smiled warmly and extended her hand to Clark, “I’m Dr. Reeve,”

“Uh, Clark Kent,” He said, shaking her hand nervously.

“Nice to meet you,” She said taking a seat on the stool across from Lois as she pulled up the chart on the screen in front of her. “So, it looks like you’re around twelve weeks is that right?”

Lois nodded, “Yeah, I’m still a bit…stunned. I hadn’t missed a pill….I’m trying to figure out how…”

Dr. Reeve seemed to sense the impending babble of questions Lois was trying to find a way to ask and stopped her, “I know. I know, but according to your medical chart you were on antibiotics a few months ago…”

“So?” Lois shrugged, not seeing the point.

“Antibiotics can decrease the effectiveness of birth control,” Dr. Reeve explained with a smile.

“Oh,” Lois said softly as she recalled every time over the course of that week she’d been on antibiotics that could have resulted in her pregnancy.

“So, you told the nurse you were having morning sickness…” Dr. Reeve prompted.

“Whoever came up with that name for it is a liar,” Lois muttered bitterly.

Clark laughed, taking her hand and giving it a squeeze as he added, “She also hasn’t been able to eat a lot,”

Lois nodded, “Apparently coffee doesn’t agree with the baby…”

“First trimester is like that. You actually lose quite a bit of weight during the first trimester. Are you able to keep anything down?”

“Yeah,” Lois nodded. “It’s just…constant nausea,”

“I can prescribe you something for that,” Dr. Reeve said. “Any other symptoms?”

Lois shook her head. “No,”

“Well, you’re almost out of the first trimester. You should start to feel a bit more like yourself in a few weeks when the hormone levels adjust. I’m writing an anti-nausea prescription along with a prenatal vitamin for you to take once a day. If you have any concerns just give me a call,” She handed her a business card.

“Uh, thanks,” Lois said softly as Dr. Reeve turned to leave. She glanced over at Clark who was watching her with a smile.

“Lucy, you have a call on line one.” The receptionist called.

Lucy smiled apologetically at Lana, “Excuse me, I have to take this.” She picked up the phone, “Hello? Hi, Lex, how are you? Yes, that sounds terrific. Okay, I’ll see you soon. Bye.” She hung up the phone and stared at it slightly dreamily.

“Boyfriend?” Lana prompted.

“Yeah. We’ve been dating for a few months now.” Lucy sighed.

“Lucy, I want you and the new girl consulting on the Southside fire case.” Mayson Drake, the assistant DA said laying a stack of files on Lucy’s desk. “I can’t afford for any screw ups when we take these characters to court.”

“Were there any witnesses?” Lucy asked, sifting through the files.

“Yeah, a Michael Lane. Some restaurant owner…”

“What?” Lucy’s face drained in color. “He didn’t get hurt, did he?”

“No. He was the one that called the police.” Mayson replied. “Why?”

“That’s my uncle.” Lucy said a bit taken aback. “I thought he was out of town…”

“Well, apparently not. Are you going to be okay handling this?” Mayson asked concerned.

Lucy’s eyes narrowed in determination, “You bet.”

“Good. I’ll give you two a couple days to go through all this. We have three guys, claiming to be a member of some street gang….The Skins…Monday morning is the arraignment.” She instructed.

“Not a problem, Ms. Drake, we’ll be ready.” Lucy said confidently.

Mayson nodded then left. “Your family’s from Metropolis?” Lana prompted.

“Yeah, my sister and I have lived here all our lives.” Lucy said opening the first file up to begin scanning. She handed Lana a file.

“Must be nice…having family close by.” Lana smiled.

“Eh.” Lucy shrugged. “We don’t really talk with our family that much. I mean, except for Uncle Mike. The chocolate mousse he makes at his restaurant is to die for. You should try it sometime.”

“Maybe I’ll try it sometime.” Lana nodded.

“Close your eyes,” he had instructed her after they left the apartment. He had changed into his Superman suit and scooped her up in his arms.

“Clark, where are we going?” she asked impatiently.

“Just close your eyes,” he whispered.

She sighed, closing her eyes, “Fine,” she gasped when she felt the cool air hit her face, “Cl…”

“You can open them now,” he whispered.

She looked around and saw they were flying up above the clouds. “Clark!” she whispered, looking around at the stars. “It’s beautiful,”

He nodded, wrapping his cape around her, “I used to come up here a lot by myself and just…drift. Not part of the stars, not part of the Earth. Not knowing where I fit in…until I met you.”

“Oh, Clark…” she cupped his cheek, “You’re not alone anymore.” She whispered, leaning up to kiss him.

“I know,” He said softly, “I’m not going anywhere. You mean everything to me…you and …our baby…” He couldn’t hide the smile on his face.

She smiled up at him, “Our baby,”

One Week Later…

“Hey, kids,” Perry handed them tickets to the Planet’s Charity Ball. “Here’s the tickets for the ball. Invite people with money to spend and who know how to dance.”

Lois smiled, taking the tickets from Perry, “Thanks, Perry.”

Perry then moved on to his next set of victims. “Charity Ball?” Clark inquired.

“The Daily Planet throws one every year. All the proceeds go to a charity of Perry’s choosing each year.”

“I never knew the Planet did all that,” Clark said in admiration.

“The Planet does and it doesn’t…Perry’s the one that pushed for these things. He organizes it every year. The board is just impressed with the circulation improvement; so they’ve made it an annual thing.” Lois winced slightly, rubbing her temples.

“I never knew Perry was such a softie,” Clark said in wonderment as he watched his editor in a new light. He noticed the expression on her face, “Are you okay?”

“Headache…” She said weakly, “And don’t let anyone know I told you that. You’re not supposed to know that any more than I am.” Lois whispered. “I found out by accidentally overhearing a conversation between a couple of the bigwigs at last year’s Christmas party.” Lois wagged her finger at him, “You know nothing.”

“Got it.” Clark nodded, rubbing her shoulders softly. “Anything I can do?”

“Just a side effect of the pregnancy….” Lois sighed.

“I’m sorry,” He apologized.

“It's fine. I think I need to try and eat something…” She smiled up at him. “How’d the fire go last night?”

Clark sighed and shook his head. There was a war going on between the criminal element for territory and so far Southside seemed to be where everyone was trying to stake their claim. He’d fought to keep arsonist attempts at bay but last night had been hard. The fire seemed to take over the entire business district in a matter of seconds. “It was….”

“Lane, Kent, what’s the status on that Southside fire piece?” Perry bellowed across the newsroom.

“We’re still on it, Chief,” Lois called.

“Well get to it!” Perry hollered gruffly before turning to go back into his office. “The paper won’t print itself!”

Lois let out a low laugh, “Come on.” She stood up, gathering her things.

“Where are we going ?” Clark asked.

“Well, Perry wants us to work on the Southside fires. We should probably track down Superman, don’t you think?” She winked at him.

Still not understanding, he followed her up the ramp, “What?”

Lois pressed the call button. Once the elevator arrived they entered and Lois continued, pleased to see they were alone in the elevator. “We can’t very well write the article with an interview with Superman without at least PRETENDING to look for him, can we?” She reasoned.

“Well, no…”

“So, we get lunch…you give me a couple Superman quotes…then we’ll finish up the article…” She shrugged as they stepped off the elevator.

“Shouldn’t we also talk to the fire department, the police, and …Oh, I don’t know the DA about who started the fire?” Clark asked.

“Yes, and we will..” Lois said, pushing the lobby doors open. “After I eat.” Clark just rolled his eyes, shaking his head as he followed her.

Clark looked at Lois questionably after looking in her refrigerator, “Pickles and ice? Really? Do you actually grocery shop at all? How do you expect to eat six small meals a day on pickles and ice?”

“It’s been a busy couple of weeks and Lucy doesn’t really cook. I haven’t felt up to grocery shopping lately. We’ll order take out.” Lois said, picking up the phone.

Clark took the phone from her and put it down. “What do you want?”

“I was just going to order Chinese..” At super-speed, he flew out of her window and returned with a bamboo box in his hand and a twelve pack of cream soda. “You didn’t even ask what I wanted.” Lois pouted.

“Chicken Lo-Mein, six egg rolls, pot stickers, and vegetable fried rice. If you don’t want it..” He teased pulling the box away.

“Give me that!” She grabbed the box from him. She looked at him appreciatively. “You fly in your business suits often?” She asked, opening the first container and pulling opening the lid. She reached for a fork and sighed when she took a bite, “This is so good!”

“Well, I changed on the way.” He explained. “I used to fly in just about anything before I came up with the idea for Superman.” He explained, opening one of the containers and beginning to eat his own lunch. Lois handed him a cream soda. “Thanks.”

“What made you come up with the idea anyway?” Lois asked.

“Well…do you remember when I first got partnered with you…that morning there was a man trapped in the manhole because of an explosion?”

“Yeah…” She recalled the incident vividly. She had thought the man must have been out of his mind at the time. “He pointed at you and said you had rescued him….You said he was delirious.”

“And then you told me to bring a change of clothes to work….at the time I was trying to figure out what in the world you would need a change of clothes for. Then it kinda dawned on me….Undercover assignments…you don’t want to be recognized. I figured if you could go undercover as a reporter and not be recognized I could probably go in disguise as someone that helped out.”

Lois grinned at him, “Did Martha really make your suit?”

Clark grinned sheepishly, “You should have seen the reject pile.”

Lois laughed, “There’s a reject pile?”

Clark nodded, “I’m surprised my mom didn’t pull it out while you were visiting over the weekend.”

“No, she was too busy going through the embarrassing baby pictures.” Lois laughed.

“Oh, God…” Clark hung his head in shame.

“Oh, come on, it wasn’t that bad. I like your mom. She’s very ….” Lois struggled to find the right word.

“Mom?” Clark suggested.

“Well, she’s more than that.” Lois admonished. “I don’t know. I can’t really think of the right word. She’s really down to earth…easy going. It must have been nice growing up with that kind of support.”

Clark nodded, “Yeah, it was. I mean, they’re the only parents I’ve ever known. I still don’t know why I was sent to Earth.”

“How do you know where you came from? Was it on your ship or something?”

“No.” Clark shook his head. “I don’t know where my ship is. Dad had buried it after he and mom found me. Then when I went looking for it…when Trask raided the Planet?” Lois nodded in recognition, “It wasn’t there.”

“Oh, Clark, I’m sorry. That must be horrible…knowing someone has a possible key to something that’s a part of you.”

“I know who has it…or had it. When we broke into the Bureau 39 warehouse I found it. I found this globe that had all these maps on it. When I touched it, it changed and suddenly I just knew what I was looking at was Krypton. I hid it in my jacket pocket when Trask came in.” Lois was quiet for a moment, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” She nodded. “It just kinda makes me mad …. Trask took so much from you and…”

He put an arm around her. “Hey, don’t dwell on that.” Clark gave her a peck on the forehead. “He’s gone. Hopefully, that Kryptonite is too. I’m not really that attached to the missing ship. It’s just a pile of metal.”

Lois gave him a twisted smile, “I guess.” She sighed. “That’s the last of the egg rolls. We should probably get to work on that Southside article.”

“What do you want to know?” Clark asked.

“Well, where did the fires start? How many were injured? What do you think caused the fire? That sorta thing.” Lois said, pulling out her notebook and pen.

Clark sighed, “Okay, but it’s not really that cut and dry.” He warned, leaning back against the kitchen counter. Lois pulled out her notebook, preparing to take notes. “Okay, the fire started from the beginning of Southside district and moved down to Hobb’s Bay. Every building was set fire to. There were….” He took a deep breath, pinching the bridge of his nose. “A lot of injured…and some ….fatalities.”

Lois noticed his change in tone, “Clark, are you okay?”

“I’ll be fine.” He said, shooting her a small smile. “It was just a VERY long night…Anyway, the firefighters were completely outnumbered with the fires. They had every man out there and still weren’t able to keep up. I was barely able to keep up. It’s really sad. I mean, you take your family out to dinner and then you end up trapped in the middle of a chaotic fire…”

“Clark..” Lois put down the notebook. He was definitely not ‘okay.’ He was brooding over what had happened last night. “You’re not okay.”

“Lois, I’m fine. I’ll just be glad when we can catch whoever’s behind this. Enough people have been injured..” Clark said solemnly.

“You don’t have to put on the invulnerable act with me, Clark. I know it must have been hard pulling out all those people.” She noticed Clark squint his eyes as he pinched the bridge of his nose. He was fighting whatever emotions were festering within him. Without a second thought, she grabbed both sides of his face, pulling him into a passionate kiss.

“Lois..” He moaned against her lips. She moaned in pleasure as he devoured her lips hungrily. His arms tightened around, pulling her into his arms. She squealed in delight when he picked her up in his arms, sitting her down on the edge of the counter. She linked her arms around his neck, enjoying the feel of his body against her own. She reached up to remove his glasses, laying them on the counter next to them. “I love you…” he whispered, intertwining his fingers with hers.

She smiled up at him, resting her forehead against his, “I love you too,” She leaned up to kiss him lightly then pulled away. “Come on, we still have four more hours of work.”

Clark groaned following her as she gathered her things, “All right, let’s go.”

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube