Fallout - 2016 - Matchmaker Chronicles Vol 1 CG3 5/15

Previously

The rest of the summer of 2016 passed as an unremarkable one for the Kent family. Jon celebrated his sixteenth birthday. With each passing day, Jon became more and more impatient for his eighteenth birthday, because he knew that it would be around that time that he would be able to fly and he desperately wanted that power above all of the others. The times he had flown with his father had been marvelous.

Lara too was looking forward to when she would be able to fly herself. She was almost a year and a half younger than Jon and she just knew that the first time she saw her brother fly under his own power; she would just die from envy. There was some question about when Lara would be able to fly. Early on, Jon had demonstrated a slight ability to float. His parents had noticed this, but not remarked on it. It was becoming apparent that the powers were, to a certain extent, tied to puberty. The onset of puberty was slightly earlier for Lara than Jon and Lois suspected that she might just not have to wait to the age of eighteen. In fact, she would be surprised if they didn’t both start to fly at about the same time.

The incident over the Fourth of July holiday had only whetted both of their appetites that much more. Diving from that height had been so much like flying …

Jon and Lara were as close as any brother and sister could be and there wasn’t a situation where she wanted him to fail, but the she dearly wished that she could join him. She would be happy for him when he was able to loose the bonds of gravity and soar into the sky under his own power. It was something that she looked forward to with both joy and trepidation. Joy for her brother and trepidation about her response. She didn’t want to rain on his parade. It was just going to be hard.

Ever since they had started getting their powers, they had used them together. It had all started in 2014 when Grandma Kent had made their uniforms at Halloween. They had acted together to save Maisie from the robber that had been threatening her life. That had been their unofficial debut and they had helped out a few times since when more than a couple pair of hands had been needed.

Lara still chuckled when she thought about the time that she and Jon had helped out in the California earthquake. That had been, more or less, their ‘official’ debut. It was Thanksgiving and they had all been in Smallville. Mom and Dad had decided to take them along to help out. When things were winding down she and Mom had been looking for Jon and Dad. When they had found them they were each being kissed. Dad was being kissed by the TV and movie actress Teri Hatcher and Jon was being kissed by her daughter, Emerson. It was a result of that encounter that Mom and Dad decided that they needed to announce to the world that Superman and Ultra Woman were in fact married, not just super-work partners.

In the announcement that Superman and Ultra Woman were married, they had said nothing about the new heroes so they were considered ‘fair game’ by everyone. That was the main reason that on the occasions that Lara and Jon helped out, frequently, Kam-El was on the receiving end of female appreciation. It had happened the previous Thanksgiving season, when they had helped a neighbor family. Their neighbor’s teenage daughter had managed to ambush Kam-El and kiss him. Most recently, over the fourth, a girl named Cynthia had kissed him. Lara was happy that she hadn’t been subjected to the same, although she did realize that her time would be coming … all too soon. Fortunately, for her, young males tended to be somewhat intimidated by women that were stronger than them and she most definitely was, while most young women were attracted to a strong man.

The identities of Jon and Lara were kept ambiguous. As a result speculation was rampant as to their origin. The one time that the press had been around to ask questions after a rescue, Ultra Woman 2 had been asked why she had chosen that particular name. The reporter was obviously attempting to get her to admit that she was Ultra Woman’s daughter, but her reply had been simply, “Ultra Woman is my role model. It is a sign of my respect for her that I have chosen to name myself after her. She would be a positive role model for any young woman on whom to model her behavior.”

Since Ultra Woman had been absent for about seventeen years, only returning about six years previously, in 2010, the predominant theory was that the new superheroes were additional visitors from New Krypton which Lois and Clark didn’t discourage.

The fact that Ultra Woman had been absent, presumably having returned to New Krypton since her first, brief, appearance, the apparent age of the new superheroes couldn’t correspond to her return, but now that it had been announced that Superman and Ultra Woman were in fact married, there was rampant speculation about a Superman Junior at some time. Once the announcement had been made papers like the Star started running contests trying to guess when Ultra Woman would actually become pregnant. The odds makers in Las Vegas were even taking bets on the sex of the child and when it would be born.

They were to be sorely disappointed because if a pregnant Ultra Woman were to appear at the same time as a pregnant Lois Lane it might threaten the family secret.

The one saving grace was that Lois and Clark had started using makeup to appear to age somewhat while Superman and Ultra Woman hadn’t appeared to age in the 29 years since he first appeared and Ultra Woman looked the same age as when she had first appeared about 27 years earlier. Along with that they had decided to finish raising this current generation before starting the next. The nice thing was that with Lois’s physiology having started off as Earth human, birth control pills still worked on her. If anything happened and Lois became pregnant, Ultra Woman would simply be called back to New Krypton for a time.

To facilitate Sean and Celeste’s preparation for their roles in the family business, as well as continuing to refine the use of Jon and Lara’s powers, the family spent a lot of time at the farm in Smallville so that they could practice. They were joined for part of the summer by Mike Lee, Wayne Irig’s grand-nephew when he came to help out on the farm. Lara and Jon spent most of their evenings with him. It had become an open secret that Mike liked Lara and that she reciprocated.

They were already making plans to go to school together. Mike was using a program for early admission available to students that carried high academic averages with AP class and Lara was doing the same. Both were carrying 4.0 averages and the deal was that as long as they maintained it they would be accepted at the school of their choice, with academic scholarships. They had both applied to Stanford, pre-law and had been accepted. Lara was taking extra classes in summer school so that she could finish a year early and she and Mike could start the same year. As it stood, she, Mike and Jon would all be graduating after the next school year.

On vacations and also on some weekends the family went to Smallville. On some weekends they went to Smallville Lake for the day and the figures that fourteen year old Lara and twelve year old Celeste were developing were on display because they copied their mom’s beach attire which was a skimpy string bikini. Nine year old Jessie wore a more modest two piece and four year old Lucy continued to wear a one piece suit. Lois made sure that Lucy and Sam were safe allowing Lara the time to be with Mike.

Lois and Lara had had a number of talks and Lois had explained about the Kryptonian love at first sight trait and Lara managed to convince Lois that what she felt for Mike was undeniable. She had been drawn to him the minute that she had stepped out of the van that first day of 4-H Summer Camp three years previously. Lois and Clark had spoken with Wayne and as a result had a good feeling about the match.

As the summer had progressed, Sean and Celeste turned twelve and after Martha had made them their uniforms they joined Jon and Lara in practicing their powers. They were twins, but as Lois had surmised, Celeste’s powers started manifesting slightly earlier than Sean’s. They both had their super-hearing, were strong and fast.

Sean was showing a musculature that would be the envy of a weight-lifter and Celeste was filling out and showing the promise of an attractive womanly figure, perhaps slightly on the voluptuous side.

In school, Sean and Celeste hung out with a select group of friends that shared some common academic interests, but neither of them had any interest in dating. As was common with the rest of the family, they were both involved in karate training. There were certain shows on TV that interested them above any others and they all dealt with hospitals. Lois could see their interest and was looking forward to both of them becoming doctors.

Lois smiled a self-satisfied smile in the knowledge that her family was on the way to be the leaders they were destined to be on the road to utopia.

And now

Chapter 05 –
September 03, 2016
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Prime
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The week before the Labor Day weekend was very hot and humid. It was the end of the summer vacation and so it was a time when most of the teens wanted nothing so much as to be at the beach or a pool.

There were some activities that required special motivation in that kind of weather and one of them was tryouts for the varsity football team. Most of the guys that were considered ‘Jocks’ were there as well as some surprising candidates. Eligibility for the tryouts was based upon the previous year’s academic standing. Anyone on academic probation or with less than a 2.0 average was barred from the tryouts.

After a grueling week of running drills, on Friday, it was finally time for the candidates to actually show what they could do. The returning members of the previous year’s varsity team were pitted against those that were trying out in a scrimmage. After the mock game the coaches decided just who had made the cut.

Jon was there and just like his father, tried out for the position of quarterback. Since it was his first year he was not selected as first string, that honor going to Matt King, the senior that had been the previous year’s starter, but Jon did become the second string quarterback.

Jimmy junior was also there for the tryouts. Because of his weight and size he tried out as a lineman and won a first string position as a left tackle. The coach was amazed at the quickness he displayed for someone of his size.

Jon was surprised to see him, but Bud Kyle was also there. Apparently, even with the time he had been out over the winter, he had managed to bring his grades up. He was trying out as a fullback. He won a second string position. Jon wasn’t too surprised when Bud’s cronies also show up for the tryouts. Half of them also made the second string as linemen and one of them as center. Two of them didn’t make the cut, but were placed in the reserve. Because of that, Jon started to worry. With the animosity shown by them toward him, would they actually play their position, or would they deliberately throw a game to get at him?

Practices would start right after the Labor Day weekend. The games would start in October. In some ways, Jon dreaded this because it meant that he would have to work with Bud. Since they were both second string he would, as the quarterback, be passing off the ball to the fullback or halfback for running plays. That is, of course, if they even got the chance to play. As second string, The only playing time they could look forward to was a few plays at the end of the game if it was already in the bag or if the first string got hurt.

It was Labor Day and the Kent family was preparing for a picnic. This was to be a large gathering. They had invited The Olsens, the Lanes and the Kaplins. Martha and Jonathan Kent were already there. Superman and Ultra Woman had picked them up on Friday night. The rest of the guests were due to arrive around noon.

While Sam, Lois’s youngest, was two he was almost as much of a handful as his sister, Lucy, had been at that age, almost, but not quite. She still held the crown. Lucy and Sam had been born just over a year apart so Lucy was now four while Sam had just had his third birthday.

At the last second, Jimmy and Lucy begged off, but dropped off their kids so that they could attend the party.

As part of the set-up there was a picnic bench under an awning. This had been set up in deference to Jimmy Junior (JJ) and Hattie, each of whom was a fair-skinned red-head that sunburned fairly easily.

Clark had set up a Wi-Fi extender so that the kids could use their pad computers to play games at the table instead of having to go inside.

As soon as the Kaplins arrived, Hattie spotted JJ, Jon, Lara, Sean, Celeste and JJ’s brother and sister at the picnic bench and headed over in that direction. They were already playing a FPS game and Hattie pulled out her pad and joined in. They decided to jump onto a web-server and be a team.

Jack and Melissa had joined Lois and Clark on some lawn chairs and were talking. They were all smiling at what they could only perceive as a successful combat patrol as the kids coordinated their activities and warned each other of dangers.

After a while there was a lull in the battle and the kids spent the time talking.

“So, what’s been happening? We just got back from a vacation to the Poconos. We went camping at a place called Promised Land. It’s a manmade lake. We were in the rustic camping area. It was nice and cool. There were streams to wade in, a swimming area and lots of hiking trails. I even saw a bear! He was at a distance, so no problem.” Hattie related.

Lara replied, “Sounds like fun. I wish I’d been with you. We had to stay here because of the guys.”

Curious, Hattie asked, “Why, what were they doing?”

Jon replied, “Football team tryouts.”

“Oh, that’s right! How did you do?”

Jon smiled and said, “Second string, quarterback. Now, JJ, that’s another story – first string left tackle,” as he clapped him on the back.

Hattie looked at JJ smiled and said, “I’m impressed! My football hero. Are you going to win any games?”

JJ, with an embarrassed smile, shook his head and said, “Not too many games won by tackles.”

Hattie was upbeat as she replied, “There’s always a first time. I guess I’ll have to go to the games so that I can cheer my hero on.”

JJ asked, “You’d go to the games just because I’ll be playing?”

“Well, there is that. But I thought I’d go to all of the games.”

“Home and away?”

“Yeah, home and away.”

With a quizzical expression, JJ asked, “How will you manage that?”

Hattie laughed and said, “By being a cheerleader! I’m trying out for the Pep Squad.”

Jon laughed and asked, “Are you doing that just because my mom was a cheerleader?”

In a fake, innocent tone, Hattie asked, “Was she?”

Lara replied, “You know very well that she was.”

Hattie laughed and replied, “Yeah, I knew that.”

Jon shouted over to their parents, “Hey, Mom, Hattie wants to be a cheerleader!”

Hearing this, Clark barked out a laugh and said to no one in particular, “Two peas in a pod.”

Lois smiled and shouted back, “If she wants any pointers, I’m available.”

Mel Kaplin, Hattie’s mom said, “I take it you were a cheerleader.”

Lois nodded and replied, “Yeah, I was the captain of the squad. It was a lot of fun. I got to date a lot of the jocks.”

“I don’t know that I like the sound of that.”

Lois reached over and patted Mel’s hand and said, “I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Yeah, I dated some, but I was too interested in my future career as a journalist to get serious with any of them. I think Hattie will be the same way. Like Clark said, we are as alike as two peas in a pod. She is really following in my footsteps. I suspect that like me, eventually, she will have her own personal super guardian angel. Once Superman showed up, I might have gotten into some trouble, but he always protected me.”

In a worried tone, Mel asked, “You think that Superman will watch over Hattie? What makes my daughter so special?”

“Oh, I don’t know, he seems to watch out for kids and investigative reporters. Besides, he isn’t alone anymore. Since Ultra Woman returned about six years ago, she’s been helping him watch out for people. There’s word on the street that there are a couple of new heroes in town. I guess they are real because they were there on the Fourth of July, helping Superman and Ultra Woman. People are saying that they are also from New Krypton. Maybe they’ll help too.”

“So, Hattie is going to be a cheerleader, because you were. You’ve been giving her tennis lessons and she is going to try out for the women’s team. She is studying karate. Next thing you know, she’ll be joining the school newspaper.”

Lois laughed and said, “I wouldn’t be too surprised.”

“Before I met and got to know you, I was concerned. Hattie was using you as a role model and I have to admit, I was a little jealous. I was disappointed that I wasn’t her model, but if she wants to be a reporter, I don’t think she could have a better model.”

“She has almost become a part of our family. The friendship between her and our kids … it’s almost as close as siblings. She’s like another daughter. I’ll do my best to keep her safe.” Mel wasn’t to know it, but there was a much, much deeper meaning to this promise than she could ever imagine, because it was Ultra Woman making that promise and there would be a time in the future when she would literally save her life when the Main Street Bomber tried to blow her up. (See Hattie and the Main Street Bomber)

With a relieved sigh, Mel replied, “I appreciate that.”

Turning to Lara, Hattie said, “I wish I had thought to ask you along on our vacation.” Hattie apparently thought of something else and said, “Would you believe that while I was on vacation, I met someone that is transferring into our school? Her dad was just transferred to Metropolis by his employer. We hit it off right away. I’m sure you would have liked her. Her name is Cynthia, but nobody calls her that. She likes to be called Morgana, you know after the Jazz singer Morgana King. Apparently her grandmother was a big fan and started calling her that and the name just stuck.”

Jon and Lara were both thrown back in memory to the Fourth of July when they had helped rescue the passengers from the cruise ship. The name Morgana and her statement that she had just moved to Metropolis hit both of them, but they had to make sure that they didn’t betray the fact that they had actually met her already.

Lara replied, “I’m sure that if you like her, we will also.”

With a smile, Jon added, “Yeah, I’m sure she’s a nice girl.”

Hattie picked up on something in the tone and expressions on her two friends and challenged, “Okay, what is it? What do you know?”

Jon and Lara verbally walked over each other as they said, “No, nothing.” “Uh, nothing. What could we know?”

Hattie looked at them skeptically, “Yeah, nothing, huh?”

Jon calmed down and said, “No, really, we don’t know anything. You just met her while you were on vacation. We were stuck here in Metropolis all the time. We were just happy for you, that’s all.”

Hattie was still skeptical as she replied, “That’s all it was, huh? Okay, if you say so.”

Lara replied, “We say so. We were just happy that you made a new friend.”

“I guess you guys will meet her when we start school. Lara, you’re in our building now, right?”

Lara smiled a secretive smile and replied, “Yeah, I move to your building this year.”

Hattie chalked off Lara’s smile to the fact that they would finally be in the same building, but she didn’t know Lara’s real reason.

The following week signaled the start of the school year. Once again, Jon and Hattie were in the same homeroom with Bud Kyle, but there were no immediate problems

Cynthia’s last name was Winley so she was in a different homeroom.

First period, Jon, J.J. and Hattie had Algebra with Ms. Spargo and as they walked into the room. J.J. followed along as Hattie grabbed Jon’s arm and pulled him to a desk in the center of the room. As they were approaching, Jon recognized who was sitting there. It was Cynthia. He recognized her even if her hair wasn’t plastered down from being wet. This time she wasn’t wearing a shorts outfit, she had on a skirt that dropped to her knees with a short sleeve oxford shirt, ankle socks and loafers. Now her hair was fluffier and shoulder length, dark brown with naturally occurring blond streaks. Jon thought, <She’s prettier when she hasn’t had a dunking.> Jon knew that he had to be careful not to reveal too much.

Cynthia looked up as they approached and she smiled when she saw Hattie, but retired slightly at sight of Jon and J.J.

As they approached, seeing this, Hattie said to them, “She’s a bit shy around strangers, but once she gets to know you, she’ll loosen up.”

When they got to her desk, Hattie said, “Morgana, this is Jon, Jon Kent and his cousin, JJ Olsen. I guess that J.J., Jon and his sister Lara are my best friends.” Indicating Jon whose hand she was holding, she continued, “Don’t worry, he’s tame and won’t bite.”

Morgana started to laugh when Jon added, “At least not much.”

They were all surprised when Lara entered the room and moved in their direction.

Jon was stunned and asked, “What are you doing here, Sis?”

“I wanted to surprise you. As you know, I’ve been taking AP classes, well I’ve moved up a grade as a result. Are you going to be able to handle having me in some of your classes?”

“That’ll be great, Sis!”

Hattie chimed in, “I agree with Jon. It’ll be great having you in the same classes. By the way, this is Morgana. I was telling you guys about her at the party.” Turning back to Morgana, she said, “This is Lara, the girl I was telling you about.”

Lara reached out her hand and said, “I feel like I already know you. Hattie has told us so much about you. You’ll have to come over some time.”

Smiling shyly, Morgana replied, “I’d like that,” as she shook Lara’s hand.

Just then Ms. Spargo came into the room so everyone selected desks to sit at, all clustered around Morgana.

As Ms. Spargo was taking the roll, she said, “We have two Kents in the class. Any relation?”

Jon spoke up, “Brother and sister.”

“That’s unusual. Twins?”

Lara replied, “No, actually a year apart. I skipped a grade.”

“Is that so? Well, we’ll see how well you do.”

Lara smiled in reply. She had an ace in the hole, Jon. She just knew that her big brother would help her out if she was having a problem.

After finishing the roll the class proceeded.

Next class period was a study hall for all of them and they all started discussing their class schedules and forming study teams.

Jon and JJ were at another table going over a homework assignment while the girls chatted.

Hattie asked, “Have you heard about the new superheroes?”

Lara asked, “Who hasn’t?”

Morgana replied, wistfully, “Yeahhhh, isn’t Kam-El just a dreamboat?”

Hattie replied, “I couldn’t tell. The pictures I’ve seen weren’t good enough to tell.”

Morgan let out a sigh and said, “Trust me, he is.”

Hattie was more than a little curious and asked, “How do you know?”

Morgan was cast back in her memory, “It was the Fourth of July, we were on a cruise. The ship was in trouble. Some of us were thrown over the side. Kam’El and Ultra Woman two flew in to our rescue.”

Hattie interrupted Morgana, “You saw them flying?”

Morgana replied, “It sure looked like it to me. They came diving out of the sky and dove in near us so that they could rescue us. Anyhow, they got us all back on the ship and then Superman and Ultra Woman started to move the ship. I was almost thrown over the side again. Kam-El caught me. He wrapped those big strong arms around me and made me feel safe. When it was all over, I thanked him.”

Hattie, let out a breathy, “Wow!”

Seeing her response, Morgana decided to really blow her away and said, in a more matter-of-fact tone “That’s when I kissed him.”

Hattie felt light headed as she asked, in a raised tone, “You did what?”

The study hall monitor noted Hattie’s raised voice and said, “Not so loud.”

“I kissed him. To thank him … for saving me.”

Hattie complained, “I’m the investigative reporter and I keep missing him. I’m never there when he’s around.”

Lara asked, “What about Ultra Woman two? What is she, chopped liver?”

Hattie looked at her and replied, “She’s another girl.”

Lara was disappointed and it came out in her voice, “Oh, just because she’s another girl, she’s not important. She’s a superhero too, but you dismiss her, out of hand, because she is a girl. I bet she saved just as many from drowning as Kam-El.” Lara got up, in a huff and stormed over to the table that JJ and Jon were and flopped down.

Jon asked, “What’s the problem, Sis?”

She spat out, “Women!”

“Oh, okay, you know you’ll have to explain, later.”

In a disgusted tone, she replied, “Yeah, I know.”

That night at home, Lara and Jon were talking.

“Well, that was weird! What would be the odds of that happening? I never expected to see Morgana again.”

Lara laughed and replied, “Just remember … Don’t let her kiss you. She might remember where she kissed you before.”

“Yeah, something to think about.”

“Is she the one?”

“Nah, I don’t think so, sis. She’s a nice girl and all that, but it wasn’t like what Mom and Dad described. She’s just a nice girl and a friend, I hope.”

“Yeah, I agree. I’d like her as a friend. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.”

“I have a feeling that we are going to be seeing a lot of her.”

“We just might at that.”

With a little encouragement from Hattie, both Morgana and Lara went out for pep squad and became cheerleaders.

The three girls became almost inseparable and one was rarely seen without the others. They were like a female three musketeers.

TBC

comments go here

Last edited by KenJ; 10/05/16 10:12 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj