Winner Takes All
Folc4evernaday
Part 15

“I still can’t believe you did that,” Clark muttered under his breath as they drove down the road towards the farmhouse.

“Oh, you enjoyed every minute of it.” Lois teased. She placed her hand on his inner thigh, rubbing her palm against him to prove her point. He let out a low moan. “See?”

“Hands to yourself.” He warned as they parked.

“Fine.” She sat back and leaned against the seat. “I’ll behave.”

“Is that possible?” He asked, opening the door. Lois noticed with amusement that he was doing everything in his power to stay as far away from her. She had to laugh. Clark was pretty cute when he was trying to hide his arousal.

They entered the farmhouse and found a table full of food attached with a note. “Lois, I thought you may get hungry. Enjoy, Martha.” Lois smiled at the note. “Your mom is so sweet.” She said.

“Uh-huh.” Clark nodded, taking a seat across from her.

Lois gave a fake pout, “You don’t want to sit next to me?” She asked innocently.

He unwrapped one of the plates on the table and handed it to her. “Here. Chicken Salad.”

Lois opened up one of the containers in front of her, “Brownies…” She took a bite, “Mmmmm, these are to die for.” She murmured.

Clark just groaned. “Lois…” He warned.

Lois pushed the plate back, “On second thought, I’m not really that hungry.” She stood up and headed for the stairs. Clark just stared at her dumbfounded for a minute, “I think I need a shower after walking all over Smallville today…” She was cut off by him grabbing her from behind, carrying her the rest of the way upstairs as she squealed in laughter.

“What do you want to do, Jonathan? I don’t even know how we’d even begin to destroy this thing. What if one of the slivers from the meteorite falls somewhere and Clark or Lois accidentally get exposed?” Martha asked.

“I don’t know. I just know we can’t keep this here. We can’t let Clark get hurt like this ever again. Clark has always been super. Ever since he was a teenager he always had these gifts…and he’s done an extraordinary thing with them…until I opened this box. Now his powers are gone. If that Trask ever got a hold of this…”

“You want to melt it down or just beat the hell out of it?’ Martha asked, holding up a sledgehammer.

Lois lay against Clark’s chest, arms wrapped around him. “I should tease you in public more often.” She whispered against his lips.

“Don’t even think about it,” Clark muttered. “That was not funny.”

Lois leaned up to capture his mouth, “I thought it was very funny...Did you see the look on her face? I’m very possessive.”

Clark moaned against her lips as she dipped her tongue inside his mouth. “Mmmm.” His hand moved to cup her cheek as he deepened the kiss. She always felt like she was floating when she was in his arms. She slowly broke off the kiss and began to explore the muscles of his well-defined body. “Oh, God…” He moaned. She inched her mouth lower as she trailed a path of open-mouthed kisses down his chest. Her body was beginning to feel very heavy. She moved to readjust herself then frowned when she moved to adjust her legs around him and didn’t feel the anything beneath her.

“Clark?”

“Hmmm?”

“Um, we’re floating…”

Clark’s head jerked up and looked down, “What??” With a jolt, they came crashing down on the floor. “Oops!” He stopped a few millimeters away from the floor.

Lois grinned, “I want my exclusive.” She reminded him.

Perry slammed the phone down in irritation, “What in the tarnation is going on out there?” He muttered. “OLSEN!”

Jimmy raced into the office, “What’s up, Chief?”

“Any word on Lois and Clark?” Perry asked.

“Nope.” Jimmy replied, “I’ve been calling all day.”

“Oh, this isn’t good…..You know how Lois’ nose for trouble is….”

“Well, her nose for trouble is usually linked with an exclusive. Maybe you should…I don’t know…send a photographer down there …just in case.” Jimmy suggested, hoping Perry would pick him.

“Good thinking, Jimmy. Where’s Robertson?”

“Utah.”

“Johnston?”

“City Hall covering the scandal in the mayor’s office.”

“Sevison?”

“Winnipeg.”

“Arg! Photographers! Just when you need one, you can’t find one.”

“Maybe there’s a new guy looking for an opportunity.”

Perry looked at Jimmy hesitantly, “No, Jimmy, I can’t take the chance.”

“Somebody had to take a chance on you once, didn’t they, Chief?” Jimmy pleaded.

Perry sighed, then grunted, “All right. All right. You go.”

“Yes!” Jimmy did a fist of triumph in the air. At Perry’s amused expression he straightened up, “Thanks, Chief!” He then instinctively reached over and gave Perry a hug then left.

“Jimmy!” Perry hollered.

“Yes, Chief?”

“Don’t you ever…EVER hug me again!”

“Yes, Chief.” Jimmy nodded with a smile then turned to leave.

“We’re tracking Irig, Sir, he’s headed north towards a farmhouse ….it’s owned by a Jonathan Kent.” One of the soldiers informed Trask.

“Kent?” Trask’s eyes narrowed. “How convenient.”

Martha and Jonathan stood in a secluded part of the woods with the meteorite that had caused their son so much trouble. Jonathan was beating at the rock with all his might, but it was barely phasing it.

“Nothing seems to be phasing this,” Jonathan muttered. “Hand me that ax.”

“Maybe we should try melting it again? Or maybe…I don’t know….What do we do if we can’t destroy this thing?” Martha asked as Jonathan lifted up the ax for chopping wood.

“I don’t know. I gotta try something to get rid of it. This rock could kill not only Clark, but our grandchild too. I’m not willing to risk …”

Jonathan’s words were cut off by two armed guards approaching them from behind with their weapons drawn and aimed on them. “Oh, my!” Martha looked around trying to assess the situation, “What do you want?”

“I believe you have something that belongs to me.” Trask said.

“Everything in working order?” Lois asked nervously. She and Clark were out in the barn where Clark could test his powers out without any witnesses.

“Yeah, it looks like it.” Clark nodded. “I’m going to head over to Wayne Irig’s and see what I can find out. Stay here until my folks get back.”

“Oh, no you don’t!” Lois argued. “You are not going to leave me here while you chase the story…”

“Lois…” Clark said exasperatedly.

“We are partners. Just because I’m a little inconvenienced doesn’t mean I can’t chase the bad guys as well as you.”

“Inconvenienced?? Lois, we’re not talking about your petty criminals here. These guys have guns and could do some serious damage and…”

“Jonathan, open up!” A knock at the door interrupted their argument. Clark looked over towards the door and scanned it. “It’s Wayne Irig.” He moved to open the door, “Wayne, come in.”

“Clark! Oh, my God! We’ve got a problem…Where’s your father?” Wayne asked, looking around.

“Um, I think they’re still at the festival,” Clark said hesitantly. He wasn’t really sure where his parents were. He took a look at Wayne as he sat down. His fingers had been broken. His mouth was swollen and he had cuts and bruises all over. “My God, what happened?”

“Does he need a doctor?” Lois asked.

“Probably,” Clark said, shaking his head in disgust.

“Clark, there’s men…at my place…men with guns… They’re looking for that rock I gave your father. We’ve got to get the police. They nearly killed me. I got away…” Wayne slurred.

“We’ve already warned Sherriff Harris about Trask. Is he still over at your place?” Clark asked.

“Why don’t you ask him yourself?” A voice from behind them called out.

Clark turned around to face Trask, taking a step protectively in front of Lois, “Trask.”

“What do you want? What are you doing here in Smallville?” Lois asked.

“So many questions…I think you already know the answers to them don’t you, Ms. Lane?” Trask asked. “Where’s Superman?”

“I told you before Superman hasn’t ever been in Smallvi…” Trask slapped Irig across the face.

“Don’t lie to me!”

“That’s enough!” Clark hissed. “This ends now!” Clark took a step towards Trask.

“You know for someone in such a precarious predicament you talk a mean game, Mr. Kent. That almost sounds like a threat. Would your parents approve of you threatening a Federal Agent?”

“My parents?” Clark asked slightly taken aback.

“You’re not a federal agent, Trask, you’re a fraud; a phony! You’re insane! That’s why they kicked you out!” Lois snapped.

“You are really starting to piss me the hell off,” Trask warned. “Get her out of my sight.” He ordered.

“No!” Clark blocked the agent from moving towards Lois.

“Ah, protecting your girlfriend. Very noble of you.” Trask nodded. “Take the old man out back. Wouldn’t want to traumatize him any more than absolutely necessary.” Clark watched nervously as two guards grabbed a hold of Wayne Irig and drug him out of the barn.

“Leave him alone. He hasn’t done anything.” Clark pleaded.

“Oh, but he has. Protecting you and your girlfriend…that’s treason, Superman.” Trask’s eyes narrowed as he advanced towards Clark. Clark stood firmly in place, not showing any emotion to give himself away to Trask.

Jimmy pulled up to what appeared to be the residence of Wayne Irig. He pulled out his camera and strode up the dirt road, looking around. Readying himself to take some shots of the scene before him, he knelt down and began snapping shots.

“Hey, you can’t be here!” an officer approached him.

“I-I’m looking for my friends Lois Lane and Clark Kent…” Jimmy stammered.

“This is private property. We’re in the middle of an investigation.” The officer sneered. “No press.”

“Hey, Dwayne, cool it.” Rachael approached them from behind. “Did you mention Clark Kent?”

“Yeah, I’m trying to find them. We haven’t heard from them and we started getting worried. That usually means trouble…”

Rachael laughed, “Well, from what I saw at the Festival earlier they may just be preoccupied.”

“You don’t know Lois,” Jimmy said, shaking his head.

Rachael sighed, “Your welcome to take a look around and see if you can find them here, but I think they’re probably at Clark’s parents' house. It’s just up the road.”

Jimmy nodded. He sniffed the air, smelling smoke. “What’s that smell? You guys barbecuing?”

Rachael shook her head, “No.”

“HELP!” A cry for help reached their ears.

Rachael noticed the smoke coming from the wooded area on Irig’s property. “Call the fire department NOW!” Rachael ordered.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about, Trask!” Lois snapped, trying to move forward to face him, but she found herself blocked by Clark’s arm.

“Oh? Well, according to your parents' little heart to heart out in the woods while they were attempting to destroy the meteorite I’ve been searching for; both Clark here… and …What did they say? Oh, yes, their GRANDCHILD….could be affected by the meteorite. No one else seems to have any adverse effects to it. My only conclusion is that you ARE Superman….and Ms. Lane here has committed treason by procreating with an ALIEN…” Trask sneered.

Clark got a far away look in his eyes, as his super hearing picked up his mother’s cry for help. “Where are my parents?” Clark hissed out.

“Enjoying some quality time together by the fire.” Trask grinned, taking another step forward. “Shall we test it out?” He pulled out the lead box of Kryptonite he was carrying behind him and set it down. Clark stared at the box nervously, anticipating the worst.

“Martha, Jonathan, are you all right?” Rachael asked, wrapping a blanket around them.

“Clark! We have to get to the farmhouse. That man…Trask…he’s going to try to kill Clark!” Martha cried.

“WHAT??” Rachael asked confused. “Why?”

“He’s insane,” Jonathan added.

“Lois get out of here, now!” Clark pushed her down to the ground. Lois found herself on the ground near the doorway. She watched in horror as Clark leaped forward to tackle Trask to the ground. The lead box fell open, exposing him to the lethal rock. Lois felt the wave of nausea hit her. She had to get out of here. As Trask stood up, brushing himself off; Lois inched her way out the door away from the lethal rock. She sighed in relief as she rested her head against the wall of the barn.

“Please no…” She pleaded silently to no one in particular. She had to do something. She couldn’t just leave Clark to fight Trask by himself. She couldn’t go back in the barn. There was no way she could handle the pain from that meteorite. She spotted the two soldiers guarding Wayne Irig by an unmarked white van. They were trying to push Wayne Irig into the van. She may not be able to help Clark right now, but she could help Mr. Irig.

“You think you’re better than human, son. Flying around, oh-so-perfect and superior. But those days are over now, aren’t they?” Trask moved the meteorite towards Clark.

Clark yelled out in pain, “Go to hell!”

Trask laughed, “Oh, this is terrific. You’re dying and still fighting me tooth and nail. It’s over. This little piece of home is going to be the death of you, Superman.” He taunted, “I’ve already taken care of the traitors that sheltered you all these years; now to take care of the bastard spawn growing inside your girlfriend.” Trask moved towards the door.

Lois…

“NO!” Using up every reserve he could find he moved to tackle Trask once more, knocking him to the ground. Trask pushed him off.

“You’re going to regret that.” He warned. He moved towards the meteorite.

Clark struggled to find the strength he needed to fight Trask. He reached for the meteorite and yelled out in pain as the rock touched his skin. He had to do this. Had to get rid of it. With all his might he threw it in the air. A loud blast could be heard from outside.

“That was very foolish, son,” Trask warned as he advanced towards Clark. “Do you really think that’s all I have?” He laughed and lunged forward towards Clark. Clark struggled to remain in control, keeping Trask at bay. A hefty punch was thrown in his direction, knocking him down once again. Trask stood up and reached for his gun, “Now to take care of unfinished business…”

At first, he thought Trask was going to shoot him. He winced, anticipating the worst, then froze when he saw Trask advancing towards the door. Lois. He was going after Lois. Summoning up all his strength, he shoved Trask to the ground, wrestling with him as they fought outside the barn. He couldn’t let Trask win. He couldn’t let him near Lois. He didn’t see her anywhere near the barn. Hopefully, she was safe.

Clark struggled against Trask, continuing to throw punches in order to fight this madman. They were getting awfully close to that pond. He stood arm against arm with Trask, facing him down as he struggled to remain standing against him. He felt his left arm begin to go. NO. He fell forward, pushing Trask with him as he fell into the water, struggling against Trask. The resistance against Trask was becoming less and less. He had him. He held Trask against the large rock that stood in the middle of the pond, throwing punch after punch. The rage inside him was overtaking him. He hated this man. He had attacked everyone he loved then tried to kill his unborn child.

“Go…ahead…kill me…” Trask stuttered. “I want to kill you, Superman…”

‘Kill’ He couldn’t kill. This wasn’t him. He couldn’t kill. He stopped. He grabbed Trask by the collar, “That’s not how I work!” The sound of sirens approaching in the background echoed through his mind as he threw the madman against the rock.

“Clark!” Lois called out, running up to him with open arms. He breathed a sigh of relief as he waded through the water, reaching down to grab the glasses that had fallen off his face during his struggle with Trask. Lois’ face changed from relief to horror, “Look out!” He turned around to see Trask holding a gun aimed at him. He held his breath, preparing for the oncoming pain.

BANG

A shot rang out. Clark turned to see Rachael at her squad car, gun aimed at Trask. “Oh, my God!” Lois ran up to him throwing her arms around him. “Are you okay?” She showered his face with kisses as he struggled to catch his breath.

“I’m fine. I’m fine. Are you…?”

“A little shaky, but that’s it,” Lois answered, holding him firmly against her.

“Clark!” His mother’s voice rang in the air. He turned to see his parents running toward him, brushing off the blankets the officers had given them. He turned to embrace his mother who was in tears, “Oh, thank God!” She cried.

“I’m okay, mom.” He reassured her. “I’m okay.”

He looked over at Rachael who had just saved his life. She looked shaken. Officers were moving around the property surveying the scene. A familiar face came out of one of the squad cars.“CK! Lois!” Jimmy ran up to them. “Are you okay?”

Jimmy ran up to them, camera bag in tow. “I…I’m fine, Jimmy..” Clark stammered out shakily.

“Man, CK, that was so cool! I didn’t know you had it in you!” Jimmy complimented, patting Clark on the back.

“Jimmy, what are you doing here?” Lois asked.

“The Chief thought you might need a photographer,” Jimmy said. “I ran into Sherriff Harris over at Mr. Irig’s property and…”

Wayne Irig. He remembered Trask had had him drug out of the barn by those two officers. “Wayne!” He scanned the area for his father’s friend.

“Over here!” Wayne Irig waved, walking up to them from the farmhouse.

Jonathan and Martha moved towards Wayne to check on him. Clark let out a shaky breath, holding Lois tightly against his chest, saying a silent prayer that everyone was safe. Rachael walked up to them, “Anyone want to tell me what just happened here?”

“Sir, we’ve just received a call. Apparently, Mr. Trask suffered a fatal wound this evening.” Nigel informed Lex.

Lex puffed at his cigar. “Mmmmm, has his package arrived yet?”

“Yes. We have a large specimen of this meteorite Mr. Trask is certain will kill Superman. Where shall I store it?”

“Take it to the safe house and keep it under lock and key. I want it kept with my most prized possessions.” Lex instructed.

“Certainly.” Nigel nodded.

“I think we should use the information we acquired during testing to implement the ultimate test for Superman, don’t you, Nigel? Experiment with our new discovery. I’ve always been a fan of the scientific method.”

“Of course, sir.”

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube