Winner Takes All
Folc4evernaday
Part 12
The body of Lucy Lane was laid on the ground roughly. Sgt. Jeremy Jenkins stood at attention, waiting for further instructions. “What are you doing, Sergeant? This isn’t the army.” Trask muttered.

Sgt. Jenkins moved to an at ease position and nodded, “Just as you instructed, Sir. Kenn and I brought the subject in question.”

“You idiots!” Trask slapped Jenkins across the face. “I said bring me, Lois Lane! This…” He gestured at Lucy’s body, “isn’t her. Do you realize what you’ve done?”

“Uh, not really…She looked just like the picture you gave us in the club…well, sorta..” Jenkins began.

“How am I supposed to cover this up?” Trask fumed. “You’ve jeopardized our entire operation, Jenkins!”

“Look, Sir, I’m sorry.” Jenkins began.

“Sorry won’t cut it. Take her back to Metropolis then get rid of her. We can’t afford for this to be linked to us…or better yet..... Make it look like a petty crime attempt.” Trask ordered, “Then I want you to bring me, Lois Lane and Clark Kent. Are we clear?”

“Completely,” Jenkins answered. “Are you sure that stuff is gonna kill Superman?”

“I’m confident the meteorite will eradicate the alien and any others like him,” Trask remarked smugly. “I’ll be in touch. Don’t disappoint me.” He ordered. With that, he was gone.

Clark stood in the corner of the hospital room as far away from Lois as possible. Every time he had tried to sit next to her she had taken it as an opportunity to try and feel him up and start something. He silently prayed for the doctor to get there as soon as possible. He hoped it wasn’t anything lethal. He had gotten her here as fast as possible. There was no way he was going to leave her to change into Superman; especially after Lucy had been kidnapped. Hopefully, the police would be able to find Lucy. Who would want to kidnap Lucy?

“Clark, I hate hospitals…” Lois whined. “No privacy…And why won’t you sit next to me?”

“Because every time I do; you attack me.” Clark answered. “I told you before. There’s something wrong with you and I’m not going to take advantage of you when you’re like this.”

“How exactly is it taking advantage when I want you to…”

The door opened, stopping Lois mid-sentence. A tall man in his mid-thirties entered. “HI, I’m Dr. Robertson.” He held his hand out to shake both Lois and Clark’s hand. “I understand you’ve been drugged, Ms. Lane?”

“Oh, my God! I have not been drugged. I am just free to express my feelings…” She held her arms out to emphasize her freedom. She then pointed to Clark, “Isn’t he gorgeous? We’re dating…He’s even more gorgeous when...”

“Lois…” Clark groaned. He knew he was probably doing a really good impression of a tomato right now. What was going on with Lois? It was almost like she was drunk on love. Could Lucy be going through the same thing? He really needed to get out of here and help with the search.

“Uh-huh. Well, why don’t we take a look at your blood and see how free your feelings really are.” Dr. Robertson said. “How much have you had to drink tonight?”

“I’m not drunk!” She snapped between gritted teeth.

“She had a sip of her sister’s drink, but that’s it.” Clark explained.

“Okay, I’ll send the nurse in. We’ll do a full work up on her blood and see what exactly in her system.” Dr. Robertson made a beeline for the exit leaving Clark alone with Lois once more.

“Clark…” She crooned. “Why does everyone think I’m drunk? I’m not drunk. I’m perfectly fine. I mean, it’s a perfectly normal reaction. Whenever a girl gets around a gorgeous man ...” Clark felt his cheeks begin to burn as she spoke. He really needed to get out of here. Lois was making it very obvious what she wanted, and he wasn’t about to give in. He was afraid to leave her alone. Something had happened to Lucy and Lois at that club and he needed to figure out what.

“Clark, are you listening to me?” She pouted, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Yes, sorry.” Clark gave her an apologetic smile.

“I still don’t understand why you insist on staying on the other side of the room.” She pouted, sticking her lower lip out for effect.

“When whatever that is that you were drugged with wears off you’ll be happy I stayed over here.” Clark said.

“No I won’t. I don’t understand. It’s not like we’ve never had sex before. I just really want to…”

Another knock at the door interrupted her tirade. “Mr. Kent?” The nurse asked. Lois glared at the petite blonde.

“Yes?” Clark asked apprehensively.

“Inspector Henderson is here to see you.” The nurse said, shooting Clark a generous smile before leaving.

“Okay thank you.” Clark nodded then turned to Lois. “I’m going to talk to Inspector Henderson. Stay put.”

“She likes you.” Lois remarked angrily.

“Lo-is..” Clark sighed, exasperated.

“Didn’t you see the way she smiled at you?” Lois added.

“I don’t care. You’re the only one I want to be with, but right now I need to talk to Inspector Henderson and find out what’s going on with your sister. Now, promise you won’t do anything adventurous?”

“Fine.” Lois retorted crossly.

“Thank you.” He gave her a peck on the cheek before leaving the room. He closed the door behind him and sighed in relief. This was too much. He may be Superman, but even he had his limits; especially when it came to Lois Lane.

“Kent?” Henderson approached him hesitantly. “You okay?”

“I’ve been better.” Clark said.

“How is she?”

“Not…..herself.” Clark said evasively; not wanting to go into detail about the side effects of Lois being drugged with Henderson.

“That’s a bad thing, how exactly?” Henderson joked. Clark glared at him. “Sorry. I’m kidding.”

“Have you found Lucy yet?” Clark asked.

“No. We’ve got a road block around the entire perimeter, but no sign yet.” Henderson said. “What would really help is having Superman look for her.”

“Yeah.” Clark sighed. “Listen, I’ve got to get out of here. Maybe I can find Superman and get him to help with the search.”

“Anything would help.” Henderson muttered.

“Can you stay here with Lois?” Clark asked.

Henderson glared at him a moment. “She’s driving you crazy, huh?” He asked. “Sure. I need to get her statement anyway.”

“Thanks.” Clark patted him on the shoulder and left.

“The things I do…” Henderson said, shaking his head.

Clark was in the sky within a few seconds, headed towards Luthor towers. If anyone had a grudge against Lucy it would have to have something to do with Luthor. It wasn’t any secret about their courtship and if someone had hurt Lucy as a way to get to Luthor …He squashed the fears that began to run through his mind. ‘She’s okay. She’s okay.’ He kept telling himself.

He hated having to turn to Luthor for help, but if it meant finding Lucy any sooner then he would do whatever it took. Lois would never forgive him if anything happened to Lucy and he could have prevented it. He still didn’t understand how Lucy had been kidnapped without his being aware of it. He’d heard no cry for help; no screams. ‘Lucy. Just remember you’re doing this for Lucy.’ He told himself as he landed on the balcony of Lex Luthor’s Penthouse.

“Are you sure this is a good idea? I mean, this is the Metros. I’ve heard stories.” Jeremy Kenn said.

Sgt. Jeremy Jenkins glared at Kenn. “Exactly. The Metros are known for their petty crimes throughout Metropolis. This warehouse is owned by the Metro Club. All we have to do is make it look like an assault…”

“We’re not gonna…”

“What do you think?” Jenkins asked.

“Right.” Kenn gulped.

“Well, Superman, this is a surprise,” Lex said, turning to face Clark.

Clark glared at him. “You’ve made some serious enemies, Luthor.”

“I’m a businessman. I didn’t get here by being friendly, but I assure you I am innocent of whatever crimes you’re accusing me of.”

Clark arched an eyebrow at him. “Then why don’t you tell me who would be kidnapping Lucy Lane from the Metro Club and why?”

The blood drained from Lex Luthor’s face. Under any other circumstances, Clark would have enjoyed leaving the businessman speechless. “What is it, Luthor? Money? Revenge? Who did you piss off?”

“Wha—When …When did this happen?” Lex stammered.

“Earlier tonight,” Clark said.

“You said she was kidnapped from the Metro Club?” Lex stammered.

“Yes. The police have been all over the place but to no avail. You still didn’t answer my question. Who did you piss off tonight?”

“Toni Taylor. She wanted me to finance the expansion of the Metro Club, but I declined.” Lex remarked solemnly. “Oh, God…I hope she’s all right.”

“Okay, so assuming this Toni Taylor kidnapped Lucy..where would she take her?” Clark asked.

“There’s about seven different warehouses on the Pier along with real estate up north…” Before Luthor could finish Clark was gone.

“Well, I believe I have some calls to make.” Lex mused, picking up his phone. “Asabi, round up the boys. It's time we teach the Metros a lesson in respect. No, I want to make sure I get Lucy back unharmed. Yes, that’s perfect.”

Clark ricocheted himself into the sky and headed toward Hobbs Bay. He scanned all the warehouses, carefully looking for any sign of Lucy. Every warehouse had a lead lined roof; so he had to float down and scan through the walls. Nothing. He moved on to the next warehouse. He noticed two men standing in front of the next warehouse on Pier 21. They seemed awfully suspicious. They kept staring at him. He turned to address them. “Excuse me, have either of you seen a young woman in her early twenties with brown hair?”

“I don’t know. I’ve seen a couple of broads tonight if you know what I mean, but I don’t really remember…” One of the men slurred.

“Thank you anyway.” He said, then moved toward Pier 21 to examine it’s content. He gasped when he saw what was inside. As super-speed, he turned to grab the two men that had begun to run away from the scene. After securely tying them to one of the beams on the dock behind the pier, he went inside the warehouse.

“Lucy?” He called.

“Who’s there?” Lucy called.

“It's Superman…” He stated firmly. He began to detach his cape from his suit to use as a cover for Lucy. She had been tied up and stripped. He didn’t even want to imagine what she must have been through.

Lucy began to cry. “They took my clothes…” He laid his cape over her.

The echo of a siren from the distance could be heard. “The police are on their way. I think I caught the people who did this to you.”

“I want my sister…” She cried, wrapping the cape more securely around her.

Several hours later, Clark reentered Lois’ hospital room to find her fast asleep. Henderson sat in the chair against the wall. “She’s been out for hours. The doctor slipped her a sleeping pill.” Henderson remarked dryly. “By the way, you owe me.”

“For what?” Clark asked.

“I don’t know, stud muffin…” Henderson teased. Clark groaned, feeling the blood rush to his face. “I had to listen to lovey-dovey talk for two hours straight until that drug kicked in. You’re lucky I consider you and Lois friends, or I’d charge her with assault. Cruel and unusual punishment on my mental state.”

“Uh, I’m sorry, Inspector. She was drugged and I’m not really sure what’s wrong with her.” Clark explained.

“Well, the doctor should have something soon. I heard they found Lucy.” Henderson said, pointing to his radio.

“Yeah,” Clark said solemnly.

“Uh-oh. I’m guessing that face means something bad happened to her.”

“I’m not sure,” Clark said.

“I’ll check it out.” Henderson stood up and stretched. “I’ll be in touch. Keep an eye on her.” He said, pointing at Lois.

“I will,” Clark said, watching Henderson leave. He pulled up a chair and sat next to Lois, waiting patiently for the doctor to return with the test results.

“Lucy, I was so worried about you.” Lex crooned, placing a supportive arm around her.

“Can you please not do that, Lex?” Lucy cringed. “I really…I just need some space…”

“Certainly,” Lex said, stepping back. “What happened?”

“I don’t know. I woke up blindfolded and…”

A knock at the door interrupted her. “Lucy Lane? “ At Lucy’s nod the nurse entered. “I’m Nurse Lowe. The police are going to need to get your statement along with the doctor. Would you care to do this alone or..?”

“I want my sister. Where is my sister?” Lucy cried.

“What’s your sister’s name? Perhaps we can contact her?” The nurse prompted.

“Lois Lane.”

“Lois Lane? From the Daily Planet?” Nurse Lowe looked at her for recognition then laid her clipboard down. Lucy nodded. “I’m sorry, Ms. Lane, but your sister was admitted to the ER earlier tonight.”

“What?” Lucy asked in disbelief.

“I can stay with you, my dear.” Lex soothed.

“What happened?” Lucy asked.

“I’m not sure. We really need to get started with the rape kit.” Nurse Lowe prompted.

“Rape kit?” Lex’s eyes narrowed.

“We’re not certain. It's just a precautionary. If you’re uncomfortable, Ms. Lane…”

“No, no. I want Lex to stay.” Lucy said emphatically.

“Okay, let’s get started.” Nurse Lowe said.

“Pheromones?” Clark echoed.

“Yes, a very large dosage of pheromones was found in her blood stream.” Dr. Robertson stated. “It looks to be a diluted solution. Just make sure she stays hydrated. I’m guessing she should be better by morning.”

“What do we do if it isn’t?” Clark asked.

“Make her sweat it out?” Dr. Robertson shrugged. “Just let it run it’s course. I’m prescribing a mild sedative and some antibiotics to help counteract it’s effects. She’ll wake up with a killer migraine and she’ll probably be achy once this stuff wears off. Don’t let her go back to wherever it was that she was exposed to this.”

“How did it get in her system?”

“Through her nasal passage.” Dr. Robertson said. “Pheromones are hardly used in liquid forms other than fragrances. I’d say someone sprayed her with something. I’m releasing her…”

“You’re releasing her? You don’t even know if this stuff is going to wear off..” Clark argued.

“If it does then you can bring her back. We have to make room for more patients.” Dr. Robertson sniffed before turning to leave. “I should have her discharge papers ready within the hour.”

“Clark? What are you doing here?” Martha asked in concern, seeing Clark’s look of worry.

“Mom, I need your help,” Clark said hurriedly. “Lois was drugged.”

“Oh, my word! That’s awful.” Martha said, placing a hand over her mouth in shock.

“Any idea what it was?” Jonathan asked.

“The doctor said something about ‘pheromones’ but I’m not really sure. Mom, I need your help. I can’t handle her like this by myself and the hospital is releasing her and…”

“I’ll get my coat,” Martha said.

“See, darling, everything’s fine. They didn’t do anything.” Lex soothed.

“But they tried.” Lucy cried.

“But they didn’t,” Lex reassured. “Rest up. We’ll handle this tomorrow.” He kissed her forehead then turned toward the door to leave.

“Lex?”

“Yes, darling?”

“Thank you.” She wrapped herself more securely in the hospital blanket; Lex closed the door behind him.

“They will pay, my darling. They will pay.” Lex muttered, heading toward the elevator.

Her head was pounding. The pressure against her skull was excruciating. Lois slowly lifted her eyelids and squinted at the bright rays of sunlight streaming through the windows. She slowly sat up, rubbing her head in an attempt to ease her throbbing head. “Oh, you’re up.” A familiar feminine voice said.

Lois turned to face the source of the voice and saw Her sister sitting next to her, handing her a cup of coffee. “Whoa ..Wha..OW!”

“Here.” Lucy handed her a cup of coffee. “Have some coffee. It’ll help with the pain.”

Lois was willing to take anything to make the pain go away. She took the cup from her sister gratefully. The hot liquid hitting her throat was soothing and the aroma of the coffee did wonders for clearing her nasal passage. She still had a bit of a headache, but it seemed to have subsided to a dull ache. She reexamined her surroundings, recognizing that she was in Clark’s bedroom; she smiled. “Where’s Clark?”

“Oh, he’s probably hiding,” Lucy said with a smile. “After you threw your arms around him; telling him you wanted to have your way with him on the kitchen table he darted out of here real quick….”

“Oh, God…” Lois moaned, burying her face in the comforter.

“He mentioned something about swimming laps in the Arctic,” Lucy added.

“I want to die. Can I die?” She asked.

“Hey, no one’s judging. You’ve probably already had him on the kitchen table, haven’t you?” At Lois’ blush, Lucy laughed. “It's okay. You’re in love…”

“Where did you get that idea?” Lois asked defensively.

“You told me, Clark, the bartender, Inspector Henderson, Clark’s mother, and the doctor at the hospital…all about how much you LOVE Clark and wanted him bad,” Lucy listed off.

“Clark’s mom?” Lois echoed.

“Yeah, Clark needed reinforcements in resisting you last night,” Lucy explained. “Superman flew her here as a favor.”

“That was nice of him.” Lois mused. “I need a shower.” She looked down at the old worn shirt she was wearing. Still a bit woozy, she hobbled toward the bathroom and began to get herself cleaned up. She stared at her reflection in horror once she entered the bathroom. “Oh, my God!” Her makeup was all smeared and dried on. She apparently hadn’t even taken the time to remove it. She definitely wasn’t wearing the same thing she had worn last night. It looked like one of Clark’s old college t-shirts. It was extremely comfortable, but she wasn’t sure how she had ended up wearing it. Had Clark undressed her last night or had she changed herself? They hadn’t…He wouldn’t...Not when she wasn’t herself…would he? Clark wouldn’t do that. He just wouldn’t.

She stepped into the shower and enjoyed a hot shower, praying the hot water would do some good for the dull ache still teasing the back of her head. No, Clark would most definitely not have taken advantage of her when she was that far gone. What was it Lucy had said? He mentioned something about swimming laps in the Arctic. He wouldn’t ever do something like that. He may have been tempted, but he would never ever do something like that. Would he?

“Lois? Do you need some clothes?” Lucy called from the other side of the door.

“Um…” Lois hesitated. She hadn’t brought any clothes with her. “Maybe.”

The bathroom door opened and Lucy handed her one of her outfit’s. “Here. Clark brought this by earlier.” Lois noticed, Lucy hadn’t poked her head in the bathroom; just laid the outfit on the floor.

“Thanks, Luce,” Lois said gratefully. She quickly dressed, lightly combed her hair with her fingers then headed back to join Lucy.

When she emerged from the bathroom she found Lucy sitting at the kitchen table, idly stirring her coffee. “Lucy?” Lois asked hesitantly.

Lucy looked up sharply and Lois gasped when she got her first look at Lucy’s face. “Lucy! Oh, my God, what happened?”

Lucy stroked the swollen side of her left eye tenderly. “I guess I pissed the wrong person off. I just wish I knew what I did.”

“Lucy, I am so sorry.”

“It's not your fault. You were drugged. I was too…or at least I think I was. I remember watching you leave to dance with Clark then I had stepped outside…I don’t know. It's all blank after that. Superman found me several hours later…Who knows what would have happened if he hadn’t found me when he did.”

“I’m sorry you had to go through that, Lucy,” Lois said, sympathetically.

“Yeah. Superman was really nice. He didn’t even look at me. Just took his cape off and covered me so I didn’t have any perverted cops ogling me.”

“Lucy, what you were wearing last night wasn’t that bad,” Lois argued.

“Well, what I wasn’t wearing later was,” Lucy said bitterly.

“What?”

“I really liked that dress too. I bought it special for yesterday and they cut it up.” Lucy sniffed, wiping a few tears out of her eyes.

“They didn’t…”

“No…but they might as well have.” Lucy sniffed. “The police and doctors kept asking me all these questions that I didn’t have any answers to. I know Lex was mad about what had happened; even if he didn’t say anything. He was really great, but I really wanted you there, but you had been drugged, and I hate that this happened…” The tears were flowing freely down her face as she rambled on. Lois leaned up and hugged her sister.

“Hey, it's okay. We’ll find the creeps that did this to you and make ‘em wish they never crossed us.”

“Yeah.” Lucy sniffed.

“Where is Clark at anyway?” Lois asked, looking around.

The front door opening caught their attention. “That’s probably him,” Lucy said.

Clark came into the room with an elder woman carrying a couple of white paper bags. “You’re awake.” Clark entered the room and handed her one of the bags. “Breakfast.” He stated simply.

Lois smiled at him and took one of the fluffy croissants out of the bag gratefully. She took a bite and moaned, “These are to die for..”

“I got them at this little French bakery I know,” Clark said hurriedly. “I know this isn’t the introduction everyone hoped for, but Mom, Lois...Lois, Mom.”

“It's nice to finally meet you.” The woman said, giving her a light hug. “I’m Martha.”

Lois gave a light laugh and blushed, “Uh, Lois..”

Toni Taylor was fuming when she left the Metropolis P.D. Someone had the nerve to try and set up the Metros? She would find out who was behind this and make them pay; no one crossed Toni Taylor and got away with it.

“Are you sure that’s Lane?” Kenn asked.

“Yeah, but just to be sure we’ll keep a twenty-four-hour surveillance to make sure we don’t have a mistaken identity again.” Jenkins retorted. “I’m not interested in making enemies with Colonel Trask.”

“Yeah. You don’t think those kids will squeal, do you?” Kenn asked.

“Nah. They know what’ll happen if they do.”

“I want the Metro Club and any other property owned by the Metros burned to the ground. Nothing should be repairable. Is that understood?” Luthor snarled.

“Completely, sir.” Nigel nodded.

“Good. It's time these hoodlums understood who they’re dealing with. Also, I want Toni Taylor brought to me. We have some unfinished business to discuss…and send a large bouquet of flowers to Ms. Lane. It's important that she knows I’m still thinking of her.”

“Sir?”

“What is it, Nigel?”

“Are you sure you’re not getting too…involved with Ms. Lane?”

“I’m in complete control, Nigel. Never question my judgment.” Lex retorted.

“Of course.” Nigel nodded. “Will that be all, sir?”

Lex nodded and waved for him to leave.

After a morning of embarrassing stories of Clark when he was younger and a full stomach, Lucy had taken Martha to go shopping in Metropolis Square; leaving Lois and Clark some time alone. Lois watched as Clark studiously worked on washing the breakfast dishes. “So, your mom seems nice.”

“Yeah. I didn’t mean to blindside you or anything. It's just last night I wasn’t sure what to do..” Clark explained apologetically.

“So, I heard. Was I really that bad?” Lois asked.

“Not entirely…” Clark managed.

“I guess it must have been hard to listen to and not be able to do anything about it…Most guys would have taken advantage. Thanks for that, Clark.” She smiled up at him. “You didn’t have to call the police or take me to the hospital.”

“Of course I did.” Clark turned to face her. “I didn’t know what had happened to you. All I knew was you weren’t yourself. It scared me. And as far as Lucy’s concerned…there’s no way I could just leave knowing she was still missing.” He moved to cup her cheek.

She smiled up at him, “So, Lucy told me a little bit about what happened last night…” Lois began, looking away.

“Yeah, it's okay. I know you weren’t yourself.” He said hesitantly.

“Well, that’s only partly true,” Lois said nervously, holding up her right index finger a few inches away from her thumb.

“What do you mean?” He asked.

“I meant what I said last night.” She said, taking a step closer.

Clark looked back at her apprehensively. “What exactly are you referring to? You said a lot of things last night..” She didn’t blame him for being cautious. She had definitely given him more than enough reason to be fearful of taking big steps in their relationship. It looked like she was going to have to say the scary words this time.

Without a word, she linked her arms around his neck and pulled him in for a passionate kiss. She felt him begin to respond to her and slowly pulled away. “I love you, Clark Kent.”

He smiled back at her. “I love you, Lois Lane.” He lowered his mouth to hers.

The sound of the front door closing forced them to pull away from one another. “Am I interrupting something? If so I can come back. What do you need two..three hours?” Lucy teased.

“Very funny.” Lois snapped, throwing a towel at her sister.

“Hey, is that any way to treat your favorite sister?” Lucy retorted.

“You’re my only sister,” Lois added.

Martha wore an amused expression. “Clark, I’m going to head to the airport. My flight leaves in an hour and a half and I don’t want to miss it.” Martha and Clark shared a knowing look and Clark nodded. What was she missing? Martha turned to Lois, “Lois, it was wonderful to meet you. I hope you’ll come to Smallville to visit. I know Jonathan would love to meet you too.”

“Sure.” Lois nodded, “No problem, Mrs. Kent.”

“Martha.” She corrected.

“Martha.” Lois echoed. Martha moved to embrace Lois then turned to leave.

“Here. I’ll walk you out.” Clark followed Martha out.

“I hear wedding bells. Let’s see. Mother loves you..hot guy…from what I heard the other night…”

“Lucy!” Lois admonished.

“Yep, definitely a future.” Lucy teased.

“We should get going,” Lois said. “You have to go to that police line-up.”

“Don’t remind me.” Lucy groaned.

“Come on,” Lois said, dragging her sister along.

They left the apartment and Lois found waved a final goodbye to Martha before hailing a cab to the Metropolis P.D. After the cab pulled away the echo of a sonic boom could be heard on Clinton Street.

“I don’t know. Do you think it could be Lex Luthor?” Toni asked, pacing around the board room. “I mean, he was pretty disturbed about my offer yesterday…”

“Yeah, what was up with that? Didn’t you pack your secret weapon?” Johnny Taylor asked.

“I was wearing the pheromone, but it still had no effect on him,” Toni said crossly.

“Maybe you’re not Mr. Luthor’s type,” Johnny said smugly. “Either way we need to plan our attack.”

“He’s pretty fancy about this Lucy Lane …maybe we can try her,” Toni suggested.

Johnny shook his head. “No way. Don’ t go after his dame like that. He already thinks we were behind her kidnapping that’ll only stoke the fire.”

“Speaking of fire…do you smell something?” Toni asked, sniffing the air.

After dropping his mother off back in Smallville, Clark headed back to Metropolis to start investigating the Metros. Last night had scared him. Lois had been completely out of control and he hadn’t known how to handle it. He had had women throw themselves at him before in which he had politely declined, but Lois had never acted that way before. The fact that she had been exposed to this pheromone by simply being at the Metro Club with Lucy was unnerving. How many other women had been exposed to this drug? What was the purpose of exposing someone to a pheromone…other than the obvious reason? As he approached the Metro Club he noticed several warehouses on the Pier was on fire. Changing direction, he zoomed down to help the fire department extinguish the fires. It seemed like the entire line of warehouses along the pier was on fire. This was obviously no accident.

“Superman!” The Fire Chief turned to face him in awe.

Ignoring the man’s expression, Clark got down to business. “What can I do to help?”

“I’ve got all my men spread out. We’re trying to contain the fire, but it's spreading too fast…I’ve never seen anything like it before. Thirteen warehouses set fire to at the same time.”

Clark moved toward the water in Hobbs Bay and lightly blew. His freezing breath froze the bay rock solid. He moved at super-speed to drill a place inside the frozen bay. Once he was below the bay, he lifted the part of the bay he had drilled and flew it over the stretch on the Pier that was currently in flames. The frozen bay quickly melted as it came in contact with the flames, extinguishing the fire as it did so. The echo of cheers from the firefighters could be heard as the last of the flames flickered out. Clark sighed in relief when he scanned the buildings. No one had been inside.

“Attention all unit’s; we have a fire on Southside Pkwy…”

“How are you feeling, Luce?” Lois asked.

“How do you think I’m feeling? This has got to be the single most degrading moment of my life. Can we please get out of this place? I want to go home.” Lucy snapped bitterly.

“Fine,” Lois said. “Taxi!” She waved at the cab, passing by.

The cab stopped and the driver rolled down his window. “Where to?”

“Carter Avenue,” Lucy said, climbing in the backseat with Lois.

As the cab pulled around the corner the news broadcast on the cab’s radio caught Lois’ attention, “All units are fighting to keep the fire under control…”

“Turn that up,” Lois asked.

The driver obliged. “The entire Southside has been attacked by raging fires that appear to be arson. We have never seen anything like it…”

“Lois, don’t…” Lucy warned.

“As of right now all units are fighting to keep the fire at the Metro Club from spreading, but it seems to be a losing battle. Even Superman seems to be…”

“How fast can you get us to the Metro Club?” Lois asked.

“No way. There’s gonna be cops all over the place and I can’t afford another soliciting ticket…” The cab driver argued.

“There’s a fifty in it for you,” Lois added.

“I’ll have you there in ten minutes.” The cab driver replied.

The flames were overpowering her. Which way was the exit? She turned toward what appeared to be an open door when a large beam came crashing down. She screamed. A sonic boom announced the arrival of Metropolis’ newest superhero. “It’s going to be all right.” He picked her up and carried her out of the burning building. This was going to be some story…

Clark carried the young woman out of the Metro Club and handed her to the awaiting paramedics. “Superman, I think we’ve got everyone out. Can you see anyone else inside?” The Fire Chief asked.

“No, sir.” He shook his head.

“Excuse me, Lois Lane, Daily Planet…” Lois’ voice echoed through the crowd.

Clark couldn’t help but smile. “Figures…” He muttered. He put on his best poker face as Lois approached him.

“Superman, can I get a statement?” Lois gave him her best smile.

If only she knew what that smile did to him. “The fire department seems to have been able to get the fire under control finally.” He began walking through the crowd with Lois as he subtly guided her away from the damaged building that had just a few minutes ago been filled with flames. “The smoke inside was very intense. Visibility to the human eye was probably close to zero. I’m just glad we’ve been able to get to everyone in time without having any serious injuries.”

“Any idea who could be starting the fires?” Lois asked.

“It’s hard to say. There have been rumors about a rivalry gang since the property that has been attacked is all owned by the Metros, but nothing has been confirmed.”

The woman he had rescued earlier approached them, “Excuse me, Superman, could I…”

Lois turned to face the woman. Her eyes widened, “What are YOU doing here?”

“Lois, it’s nice to see you too.” The woman said. “I was working undercover for the Metropolis Star, but I guess that story’s been killed…”

“The Metropolis Star? Well, Linda, it figures, you’d be working for a rag like that…knowing your expertise is sleaze...” Lois snarled.

“Well, I tried to get a job at the Daily Planet, but for some reason, after I gave my name your editor refused to speak with me. I wonder why that is…”

Clark noticed the tension between the two women and it was making him very uncomfortable. “I have to go…” He muttered.

Linda noticed his departure, “Wait, Superman, could I get a statement…”

“I gotta go…rescue someone or something…” He stammered, taking off into flight before either could argue with him further.

Linda turned to Lois, “See what you did!”

“Why should I care? I’ve already got what I need for my story.” Lois replied smugly.

“Yes, you always get what you want, don’t you, Lois?” Linda remarked bitterly. “Like blacklisting me at the Daily Planet?”

Clark walked up to Lois and Linda; neither seemed to notice his presence. Lucy was standing on the sidelines watching the encounter amused. “What’s going on here?” Clark whispered to Lucy.

“Linda is Lois’ ex-best friend from college; a royal bitch. They had a falling out in case you couldn’t tell.” Lucy whispered back.

“It wasn’t that hard. Everyone’s heard of your reputation, Linda.” Lois snapped back.

“Speaking of reputations; I’ve heard a lot about yours going up in flames a few years ago. Claude Cluny?” Linda had stuck in the knife.

“Time to intervene. That was below the belt.” Lucy whispered to Clark then spoke up, approaching Lois, “Lois, we really need to go…” Lucy attempted to drag her sister’s arm away from Linda.

“You don’t know anything…” Lois snapped back.

“Lois, don’t…” Lucy warned.

“Well, according to my sources…the synopsis on you in college wasn’t that far off.”

“Don’t use big words you don’t understand, Linda. You might bust the last few remaining brain cells you have.” Lois wagged her finger in Linda’s direction.

Two strong arms pulled her back, away from Linda, “Don’t do something you’ll regret.” Clark whispered in her ear.

She turned around to face him. “When did you get here?”

“A few minutes ago.” He replied, leaning down to kiss her. It wasn’t a total lie. Clark Kent had just gotten there a few minutes ago. He wasn’t sure what was going on between her and Linda, but he really didn’t like the way it was upsetting Lois.

Lois wrapped her arms around Clark, pulling him in for a deeper kiss. The sting from Linda’s words a few seconds ago still ran through her mind. No, don’t think about that right now. Think about kissing Clark. He was definitely making the kiss last longer than usual. She suspected he was trying to help give Linda a bit of a show to put her in her place a bit. Who was she to complain? She loved kissing Clark. She could feel the pent up frustration behind his kiss. He had good reason to feel frustrated; after she tortured him mercilessly all night.

“It was nice meeting you again, Linda, but next time just stay away from my sister’s personal life or you’ll have me to answer to,” Lucy warned; ignoring the show Lois and Clark were putting on.

“Lucy, you haven’t changed a bit.” Linda chided, patting her on the head.

“I know you did not just PET me…” Lucy huffed, “I can still kick your ass,”

Clark slowly broke away from the kiss, eliciting a groan of disapproval from Lois. “Thank you.” She whispered in an inaudible tone, knowing full well he could read her lips.

“No problem.” He whispered in her ear.

“So, are we done here? Can I go home yet?” Lucy asked impatiently.

“I don’t think we were formally introduced.” Linda held out her hand towards him. “Linda King.”

Lois looked at him warily. In college, Linda had always been the girl the guys had gone after. She was blonde and beautiful. She hoped Clark wasn’t going to be another man to be swayed by Linda’s conniving. “Clark Kent,” Clark said, hurriedly, extending his hand to her. He then began moving them towards the waiting cab on the curb. “Excuse me, but we’ve got a deadline.” He opened the cab door for both Lois and Lucy then climbed in next to them. The look on Linda’s face was priceless. She had never seen any man rebuff Linda ever. “You wanna tell me what that was about?” Clark asked, interrupting her thoughts.

“Not now,” Lois said shakily. “Thank you...by the way.”

“No problem,” Clark said. He gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

“Haven’t you two had enough, yet?” Lucy asked; the teasing in her tone was evident.

They pulled up to Lois’ apartment and Lucy handed the cab driver money for the fare. Lois turned to Clark with a gleam in her eyes. “I’ll be right back. I need to change. I smell like smoke.”

“Okay,” Clark said.

“Meter’s still running, lady.” The cab driver hollered.

Lois waved, acknowledging the comment then hurried inside to hop in the shower. “What’s the hurry?” Lucy called after her. “You usually don’t care if you smell like smoke when you cover stories like this.”

“I’ll be out in a few,” Lois called.

True to her word, Lois emerged from the bathroom wrapped in a towel a few minutes later. She then ran into her room to change. Lucy eyed her suspiciously. Lois reemerged fully dressed, her hair still slightly damp in a black suit with a dress skirt. Lucy eyed her suspiciously. Lois was going out of her way to dress sexy. She noticed the silk thigh highs Lois was wearing. A small smile crossed her face. Poor Clark wasn’t going to know what hit him. Lois moved back into the bathroom to dry her hair and style it for the day. She then reemerged from the bathroom fully dressed, makeup applied and hair was done. She waved a final goodbye to Lucy then left.

At the Daily Planet, Lois and Clark emerged from the cab and paid the remainder of the fare. Clark decided to take this opportunity to question Lois about Linda King, “So, you gonna tell me what was up with you and Linda King back there?” Clark asked as they pushed open the lobby doors to the Daily Planet.

“What’s to tell? A hideous part of my past has reared it’s ugly head.” Lois muttered as she took a sip of her coffee.

Clark laughed at her description, “Well, never let it be said that Lois Lane doesn’t have a flair for exaggeration.”

Lois turned on her heel to face him. “You don’t know this woman, Clark. She has no conscience. She can’t even spell it.”

Clark laughed, taking on a melodramatic tone, “It was a dark day for the Daily Planet when Linda King rode into town.”

“Go ahead, mock me.” Lois sniped. “You don’t know the depths to which this woman will stoop to get a story…or anything else for that matter.”

“Ah, now we’re getting somewhere,” Clark said pointedly. “Do I detect the scent of jealousy?”

“Jealous, hah!” Lois mocked. Just as she opened her mouth to speak the sound of Linda King’s voice interrupted.

“Lois, hi. I thought we could catch up.” Linda held out her hand for Lois to shake. Lois just glared at her. “Or not.”

Lois scoffed and turned to Clark, “Come on, Clark, we’ve got a story to write.”

“Lois, don’t you have time to catch up with an old friend?” Linda asked.

“Funny, I don’t see an old friend here,” Lois said dryly. She then turned toward the elevator and hit the call button. Clark followed her close behind. “Stay out of my way, Linda,” Lois warned before stepping into the empty elevator car with Clark.

As the doors to the elevator closed, Clark asked, “What was that about?” Her answer was launching herself into his arms, giving the lobby of the Daily Planet and Linda King an eyeful of their embrace before the elevator doors closed.

“I think…I …like this…elevator…” Lois rasped out between heavy breaths.

“Definitely ….” Clark whispered back, resting his head against hers. He wasn’t sure what had happened. The minute she’d launched herself into his arms neither of them was able to stop. All the torture from last night…not being able to do anything....

“Oh, God…” she shivered involuntarily.

“Just don’t even bother with undergarments at all next time..” He rasped out.

“But how would that look?” she asked impishly.

“Like you want to get laid as quickly as possible…” He teased.

“We’d never leave the bedroom…” Lois said.

“Who says that’s a bad thing?” Clark asked, tracing the curve of her chest with his tongue.

“I think this is the first time we’ve succeeded in making love without removing all our clothes…” Lois noted, gesturing to their current state of dress.

“Mmmm hmmm…We better get moving before they call elevator maintenance.” Clark whispered.

“I don’t want to,” Lois whispered.

“Me neither,” Clark said shakily. “But we do have to write up that article on the fires.” He whispered, “Tonight.”

“I’ll hold you to that.” She whispered, pulling him down for another kiss. She pulled a handkerchief out of her purse and worked on cleaning themselves up. After assuring herself there were no signs of their encounter on the wall or the floor she tucked the handkerchief back into her purse. They both quickly redressed themselves then removed the elevator stop on the panel.

They arrived at the mailroom to face a very angry mail clerk, “Finally! What the hell? I’ve been pressing the call button for over half an hour. What happened?”

Lois and Clark avoided looking at one another. “Elevator stopped.” They replied in unison.

“Uh-huh.” The clerk pushed his cart onto the elevator car and pressed the floor for the newsroom, unaware of the heated glances being exchanged between Lois and Clark.

“Olsen!” Perry’s voice echoed through the newsroom. “Has anyone got the story on these fires? Mitchell? Newman?” The reporters shook their heads ‘no’ and Perry let out a frustrated yell, “Doesn’t anyone know how to chase a story anymore?” Lois and Clark smiled at one another as they stepped out of the elevator car after the mail clerk. Perry looked up at the duo and hollered, “Lane, Kent, what in the Sam Hill are you doing here? I thought I told you two to take the day off.”

“Oh, so you don’t want the piece on the fires?” Lois inquired innocently.

“Wha..? How did you…? Never mind, I don’t want to know. Write it up then I want to see both of you in my office pronto.”

“Someone’s edgy this afternoon.” Lois noticed.

“I heard that.” Perry shot back.

“We’re moving.” Lois said, sitting down at her desk.

“Okay, the piece has been written. The copy’s on your hard drive. What’s up?” Lois asked, closing the door behind herself and Clark as she entered Perry’s private sanctum; also known as the Editor’s office.

“How’s your sister doing, Lois?” Perry asked.

“She’s fine…you know…considering..” Lois said evasively.

“And you?” Perry asked, eyes narrowing. “Henderson called me this morning to tell me what happened.”

Lois groaned. “Great. Remind me to thank him later. What is this all about?”

“I want to make sure I’m not putting you under any undue stress.” Perry replied. “It’s been a hectic few weeks…”

“I’m fine, Chief. We’re fine.” Lois argued.

“Good. So, why don’t you explain something to me?” Perry remarked, leaning back in his chair to reflect a calm aura about him.

“Explain what?” Lois asked.

“How exactly did the elevator get stuck for half an hour then magically go back to working?” Perry’s eyes wore a glint of humor behind them.

“I don’t know.” Lois lied. Clark looked down at the floor, avoiding eye contact with Perry.

“Uh-huh. Well, I’m just throwing it out there. If you need to take a long lunch to take care of ….things…do that…I’m not above giving a little…just keep it professional in the office, ya here?”

“Uh, got it, Chief.” Clark said, trying to keep the blush from creeping into his cheeks.

“All right, get out of here. Enjoy the weekend and the rest of your day off.” Perry said.

“Bye, Perry.” Lois said.

“Take care, kids.” Perry laughed. “Oh, by the bye…since your articles are beating the pants off the Metropolis STAR; the publishers want to run some ads. So, rest up and look pretty come Monday morning.”

“Perry...” Lois began to argue.

“Bye, Chief. We’ll see you Monday.” Clark said hurriedly, pulling Lois out of the office before she went into a full tirade against Perry.

“Sir, we have a bit of a situation,” Nigel said hesitantly.

Lex looked up from his desk, “A situation, Nigel? What kind of situation?”

“Well, sir, it appears that when we sent our men to destroy the Metros…they were beaten to the punch…” Nigel explained.

“What do you mean?” Lex inquired.

“Someone else had already set fire to the entire strip on the Southside; owned by the Metros,” Nigel remarked.

“Hmmm, well, perhaps we should find out who it was and …thank them,” Lex suggested.

“Perhaps.” Nigel nodded then turned to leave.

TBC...

That's all for now peep

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube