Next Thread
Print Thread
#271790 09/22/16 02:15 AM
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Complete vignette

Cat never got a proper send off at the end of Season 1. I hope you enjoy my take on resolving her story line.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
C
Kerth
Online Content
Kerth
C
Haven't read a story on these boards in many years, but I love your take on this. Cat's departure from the series was never explained in the series and in fact there was no mention of a gossip column in the paper once she left. I have always felt that there was more to Cat than meets the eye after all you don't become a gossip columnist and not know a few hidden truths about people. We'll done!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Crazy_Babe and I are in total agreement on your latest fic. There have been many stories, long and short about Cat's departure, in Stranger In Our Midst Cat gets married and moves to Seattle.

This story packs an emotional wallop that stays with you long after the final sentence is read:

Cat scoffed. “I’ve been with more men this week than you’ve probably been with in your entire life. I’ve been in love, out of love – you name a relationship status and I’ve been in it. So you can moon over Superman and try to convince yourself that your fantasy attachment to someone completely unattainable is what’s keeping you from embracing the person you really want, but I’m not buying it. I know you too well, even if I don’t know you well at all.”

There was so much more to Cat Grant than the writer's allowed her to be, which is a deep pity.

Lois smiled. “The plane goes both ways.”

Yes, it does. When the muse hits you, it would be fantastic to read a sequel.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Bravo! Another one in agreement here. I very interesting and powerful story. As far as a sequel, I am not sure. I mean you certainly could continue the story but it ends at just the most appropriate spot for me.

I think you got the tone of Cat Grant down very well. Tracy Scoggins was rarely given lines except snark to perform. You have done the character justice in this piece.

Thanks for brightening my day

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I agree. Cat had a lot of unmet potential.

Thanks for taking time from the campaign trail to give us a great story!

Shallowford
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Shallowford
Thanks for taking time from the campaign trail to give us a great story!

I had forgotten about that! How goes the campaign?

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
What an unusual and poignant story. I like your interpretation of Cat.

I'm sorry to hear that the impetus was a parting between you and a friend. May the geographic distance only bring you closer together emotionally.

Joy,
Lynn

groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone! I really appreciate it. smile

Originally Posted by Morgana
There was so much more to Cat Grant than the writer's allowed her to be, which is a deep pity.

In "Strange Visitor", Cat sorts through her closet full of outfits and selects a sweatshirt and jeans to wear in what is played as an attempt to seduce Clark. I believe if Cat was a real person, that outfit would represent her true self, and the closet is full of costumes. I'm happy that you all like my take on her. smile

Originally Posted by Lynn S.M.
I'm sorry to hear that the impetus was a parting between you and a friend.

Fanfic lets me process my personal emotional drama. wink

Originally Posted by Mike M
How goes the campaign?
I currently have zero votes in the Electoral College. wink I officially suspended my campaign the day after the California primary (no one ever stops running for President...they just "suspend their campaigns" LOL). Not so coincidentally, that was about a week before the end of school. It was a lot of work, but I enjoyed the project and really believe that my students learned a lot about the political parties, the major candidates, and the electoral process. We also got positive attention for my school, which gave me the chance to shine a bright light on my great students.

I do have to say...as the campaigns are nearing November, more and more people tell me, "I should have voted for you!" laugh

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Kerth
Kerth
You know you always have my vote! thumbsup

I love your characterizations of both Cat and Lois. I also love that they were able to make peace with each other. You're right, they have a lot more in common than either of them were willing to admit. Very well done! notworthy

It's been my experience that neither time nor distance can diminish true friendship. twins

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey Susan wave...

I have been looking forward to reading this story (well, definitely since you told me about it) but especially since I saw it post later last week. Busy weekends, argh! wallbash Anyway, today, finally, this was totally worth the wait notworthy clap notworthy clap.

First off, I really like that you gave Cat a goodbye. The character needed that, us--we all needed that, too. It was so frustrating how much retooling happened after the first season, and a story like this really gives a lot of closure.

Your take on Cat was spot-on, IMO, dialogue included thumbsup. There seemed to be so much more going on with her, a very sensitive person trying to put on a disguise for others and keep them away. I really admire how you expanded on such a great character hail.

And I LOVE that it is Lois that Cat wants to say goodbye to. They really have so much in common, don't they? I was really impressed by how you connected them together in the story by their 'acts' that they put on outwardly to others, and then how you let them bond together because of that insecurity. Neither of them has had anyone to relate to, really, and experiencing that commonness with each other, I'm sure, will create a friendship into the future.

Oh--and knowing me, I was very drawn in to Cat's understanding of Lois' true feelings towards Clark. Cat gets it: how amazing of a connection they have, how rare that connection is, and how valuable and lucky Lois is to have that right there in front of her. Yeah Cat for trying to help her friend see that dance! Cat has such a clear understanding of Lois' heart, and because of that, I can totally see her being pretty envious of what Lois and Clark could have. Cat feeling so alone--as Lois does--and not having a 'Clark'? Sad mecry.

Cat smiled. “We both have our specialties. We just write about different things. People pick up the paper to read about your scandals, but they stay to read about mine.”

So true! Love this notworthy .

“So start speaking. Talk to him – really talk. Don’t let days and weeks go by. Don’t let time cement you where you are now. Use this vulnerable place you’re in as a starting point, a chance to start again. Be honest about who you are and what you want, and hope that he’ll do the same.”

Lois sucked in a breath. “That’s such a gamble.”

“You’ve already lost. So what else do you have to lose?”

Cat-is-awesome! How great is this? She is so perfect with her reasoning. I especially really like the last line clap.

Cat scoffed. “I don’t have anything that matters. I don’t have a lot of friends.” She caught the look in Lois’ eye and frowned. “I’m sure it seems like I do. I’m at the center of the Metropolis social scene. I’ve gotten the phone numbers of half the men in the city, and I could get a date faster than you could hail a cab. But…” Cat hesitated, because the truth she tried to hide constricted her throat.

“Rub it in, why don’t ya?” Lois muttered.

“I’d trade it all for what you have with Clark.” Cat said it plainly, quietly, without a trace of her typical flirtatious innuendo. “A real connection. A deep and meaningful bond that goes beyond surface attraction or casual interaction. A true friendship that will stand the test of time.”

Perfection. Such gripping honesty. Great writing, Susan sloppy.

Cat shrugged. “Maybe just a realist. I’ve seen enough of the transient to recognize the true. If I’ve ever felt any jealousy towards you, it’s because you’ve found something I never have.” Cat gave a rueful smile. “Don’t let it go.”

Powerfully sums up everything between Cat and Lois the first season. So great!

Lois smiled. “The plane goes both ways.”

Big impact sentence! Love it hail.

Wonderful job, Susan clap...
Laura (who really wishes this scene could have taken place in the series--it was so easy to visualize while reading, it would have been awesome seeing it acted out grin )

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
LMA #272088 10/12/16 07:14 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I really really like your take on Cat.

Yes, there was more to her than meet the eyes. And I always thought she was a competent and intelligent woman: after all, she must be one of the best in her line, if she Planet hired her... (If we consider she went on and ended being head of CatCo, she was indeed very smart.)

I'm glad Lois and Cat connected, even if "in extremis".
I always felt there was something missing between them in the show: we once saw her join the Tsunami investigation, and I regretted this was the only one we saw Cat join the gang.

Another very enjoyable story! Thanks...

groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally Posted by Sue S.
It's been my experience that neither time nor distance can diminish true friendship.
I heartily agree!

Thanks, Laura! I love how you always seem to connect with what I'm trying to express, and your feedback absolutely brightens my day.

Originally Posted by Millefeuilles
I always felt there was something missing between them in the show: we once saw her join the Tsunami investigation, and I regretted this was the only one we saw Cat join the gang.
In my mind, though we only saw that one example of it, I believe that Cat was involved in other investigations, both before Clark's arrival and around the edges after he appeared on the scene. That Lois and Cat had a working relationship beyond trading snarky quips. And that, if they had set aside their differences and looked past the walls, they would have seen pieces of themselves in the other.

Crazy Babe, Morgana, Mike, Lynn: Thanks again for leaving feedback. I'm very glad you all liked the story, and satisfied that I could transform a moment of personal pain into something beautiful. smile

C
Blogger
Blogger
C
I just read this on the archive and I really enjoyed this story. I've always had a soft spot for Cat. Not so much from L&C but Superman lore in general. In the comics, she was a normal woman who ended up like her L&C portrayal after the death of her son. I've always wanted to do a story invoking that element in this show's continuity, but...well, I'm not a good fiction writer.

That's part of why I love Dandello's "All I have to Give" fanfic so much. That story really captured Cat and Clark's friendship to me. In the comics, I don't think Cat and Lois were ever friends. Cat was jealous of Lois because of Clark. It's cool when fanfic writers like you and Morgana make them friends. The differing perspectives on life shown here allow both women to be better people. Cat draws her out of her defensive shell, Lois makes Cat see the value of real emotional connection(which is ironic, since Lois runs from it too). I'd like to see a sequel where they have kept up on the phone over the course of the show. Just an idea.

I'm probably boring you, but Cat has always been one of my favorite characters in Clark's supporting cast. She was an interesting contrast with Lois. While Lois initially sneers and mocks Clark's small town values and shy, mild mannered demeanor...Cat was attracted to it. A lot of this character development was given to Mayson instead in the show.

Last edited by Crazee; 12/08/16 02:22 PM.
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Oh, thanks Crazee for leaving feedback! If Cat had been around longer than season 1, the writers would have been given the opportunity to show multiple facets to her personality. I'm glad you liked my take on her. smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard