Fallout - 2016 - Matchmaker Chronicles Vol 1 CG3

Previously

Lois called all of her neighbors and arranged a meeting. A couple of hours later they were all assembled in their living room and Lois addressed them, "I want to thank you all for coming out on such short notice. As you all know, one of our neighbors had an unfortunate incident today. As a result, they are not able to prepare any meals. This situation could pertain for a week. Perhaps, we, as their friends and neighbors could get together and share the load to provide them with the meals that they would need. Breakfasts and lunches don't necessarily need to be cooked so we will concentrate on dinners."

Florence Rose, one of the neighbors grumbled, "Why can't they just order take-out?"

Lois looked at her and asked, "If it were you, would you like to depend on take-out for a week. Or would you appreciate your neighbors chipping in and providing meals?" Lois looked around and caught the eye of Donna Jordan. She addressed the crowd, "When we got there to see what was happening, I spoke with Donna. Donna remembered that I am a close friend of Superman's. I want to point out something, all Superman does is help people. He takes people to the hospital when they need it, he prevents crime, he pulls people from mud-slides and floods, he even prevented a huge asteroid from crashing into the Earth and killing almost everyone and Ultra Woman, ever since she arrived, is right there beside him, also helping out. I realize that those are big saves, saves on a global scale, but in our little corner of the globe, helping out our neighbor in need is every bit as important as those flashy rescues. Now, I ask you, what would Superman and Ultra Woman do? Would they say to the Livingstones, ‘Order take-out,' or would they help?"

Looking around at her gathered neighbors, Donna spoke up, "Lois is right. What would Superman and Ultra Woman do? I think they would help and I for one want to follow that example. Carol, I'll be providing your dinner tomorrow night. In fact, why don't you guys come over for dinner and the evening? It'll be fun."

Following Donna and Lois's example, it had not been mentioned, but everyone knew that the Kents had invited the Livingstones to their home for Thanksgiving dinner, the Livingstones were scheduled for visits for the rest of the week. One of the invitations came from Florence Rose.

After the meeting broke up, Carol turned to Lois and said, with a tear in her eye, "Lois, I don't know how to thank you. I'm overwhelmed. You really have made a difference here. I know I can speak for Karl when I say, we appreciate all that you have done for us."

Lois shrugged it off, "It was nothing, Carol. It's just neighbors helping neighbors."

"But you did it. If not for you we'd be eating take-out and be miserable. This way, we can concentrate on the repairs."

Lois gave her a hug and said, "It's just what Superman or Ultra Woman would do, Carol. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone did it too?"

"Yeah, you're right. You know, I haven't been the best friend I could be to some of my neighbors, but that is going to change. I'm going to use Ultra Woman as my example. I'm going to try to be more helpful, be a better neighbor."

"You do that, Carol. I'm sure that would make her happy."

In the evening of Friday, the twenty-seventh, the doorbell was rung and when Lois answered it, Bud Kyle was on the stoop, holding a pumpkin. When she had opened the door, she said, "Well, Bud, did you want to see Jon?"

When he looked up she could see that he had some healing bruises on his face and around his eyes and he said, "I came to replace the pumpkin I ruined." He proffered the large orange squash to her, "and to say that I'm sorry."

Lois accepted the pumpkin and said, "I hope you have learned a lesson."

In a somewhat belligerent tone, he replied, "Yeah, I have." As he turned away, she saw that he moved stiffly, as if her were in pain. Using her x-ray vision, Lois checked and saw bruising and red welts on his back and ribs.

Bud didn't hear her gasp of dismay. She stopped him, "Bud!"

He turned back to her as she asked, "What did your father do to you?"

He hung his head and said, sullenly, "Nothin'. He didn't do nothin',' as he turned away and left.

Lois placed the pumpkin on the porch where the other had been and then stepping back into the house, called her husband, /Clark!/

Having just returned from a rescue, he replied, /I'm upstairs./

She rushed upstairs and plopping down on the side of the bed, she said, "I think we have a major problem."

"What would that be?"

"Bud Kyle was just here to deliver the replacement pumpkin. Clark, I think he is a victim of child abuse. I think his father beat him because of what he did. His face was bruised and when I checked using my x-ray vision, so is his body and he had red welts on his back."

"Lois, you know we aren't supposed to violate individual's privacy by using our x-ray vision on them."

"This was justified. That kid was injured."

"I know and I sympathize, but there are just some things we don't do."

Chagrined, Lois replied, "I know. It's just like old times. I was jumping in before checking the water level, but it was probably my fault! I was the one that took him to the police."

He could sense that she was on the verge of breaking down, so taking her in his arms, he said, "Look, maybe the appearance in family court will help. We can only hope that it will and that they will be ordered into counseling."

Lois relented and slumped in his arms, "Yeah, you're right. I guess we'll just have to wait and see."

And now

Chapter 3 – From Christmas 2015 - Matchmaker Chronicles Vol 1 CG2
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120
Local designation - Canon Universe also called Prime
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

When Ultra Woman entered the courtroom, the judge welcomed her and said, "I know how valuable your time is so if you will take the stand we will precede."

After the bailiff swore her in, the judge addressed her, "Ultra Woman, are you aware of why you were asked to appear?"

"I had assumed that it was to testify about the evening I apprehended two teen aged boys in the act of damaging private property and littering."

"Yes, actually, it is about that night, but not about that act."

The lawyer standing next to Bud and his family started to speak and Lois was astonished at what she was hearing.

"Bud claims that you beat him up for this minor infraction because you and Superman have a special connection with the Kent family." He produced some pictures and said, "Your honor, I have here pictures taken of Bud shortly after he was picked up by his parents from the precinct. They clearly indicate bruising of the face and black eyes. These injuries, he claims, are the result of the handling he received from Ultra Woman. These are the pictures already placed into evidence." He then handed the pictures to the judge.

The judge leafed through the pictures, a thoughtful expression on his face as he refreshed his memory. As he placed them down on his desk, Ultra Woman asked, "May I see them?"

The judge nodded said, "Certainly," and handed them over. Ultra Woman looked them over and then handed them to the judge.

The judge asked, "Do you have anything to say?"

"Yes, your honor, those injuries look real enough, but he did not sustain them at my hands. When I dropped him off at the precinct, he was … unblemished."

Bud's lawyer challenged, "Then how do you explain these injuries?"

"I have no explanation. All I know is the he was uninjured when I dropped him off. The sergeant on the desk that night can verify my statement. If he sustained his injuries after I dropped him off and before he was picked up by his parents they were either self-inflicted or else he had a fight with the other teen that was with him when apprehended."

The judge said, "I thought of that and asked for the cell tapes for the night in question. Unfortunately the camera in the cell was malfunctioning. I had already tried to contact the sergeant. Again, unfortunately, he is unavailable. He just got married and is on his honeymoon."

Ultra Woman thought for a few seconds and then a thought came to mind. She said, "That night, when I brought them in, there were a number of patrolmen there. Some of them were taking pictures of me. Perhaps the boys could be seen in some of those pictures."

The judge smiled and said, "There will be a short recess while I contact the precinct and request that those patrolmen e-mail those pictures to me. We will reconvene in one hour." He banged his gavel and said, "We stand in recess."

When Ultra Woman made that suggestion, Bud started to sweat. His lawyer gave him a close scrutiny and as the judge exited, he said, "We have to have a discussion." Inviting Bud's parents to accompany them, he led the way from the room.

Lois had been blind-sided by this accusation and hadn't known what to do. Instead of being there simply to testify as to what Bud had done, she had been the one placed on the defensive. She continued to sit in the witness stand as she watched Bud, his family and lawyer leave. She knew she was innocent, but had no way, other than possibly the pictures taken by those patrolmen to prove it. She decided that she needed to talk to Clark.

Lois walked out of the courtroom, down the hall and out the door so the she wouldn't disturb anyone any more than necessary. Once outside however she moved faster than the eye could follow and within a split second she was on the roof of the Daily Planet building. As she passed through the roof access door she spun back into her beige business suit before descending the stairs at super-speed. Exiting the stairwell, she crossed to Clark's desk and said, "We need to talk. Conference room."

Clark could see that she was upset, but had no idea as to the cause so he stood and walked with her to the conference room, his hand at the small of her back. He could feel the tension in her body which added to his concern. As soon as they were inside he closed the door and the blinds then he turned to her. He could see that she was having difficulty restraining tears. In a comforting tone, he asked, "All right, what happened?"

Stepping to him and throwing her arms around his neck, she sobbed, "Oh, Clark, they accused me of child abuse."

"What? How could they?"

"Remember the night that Bud brought over the replacement pumpkin? I told you about the bruises. He is claiming that Ultra Woman did that to him."

Clark stuttered out, "But you didn't. You wouldn't have. There's just no way."

"I know, but he had pictures and is claiming that I did that to him."

"There's always someone looking to turn us into a big payday. Don't they have surveillance on the cells? What about the desk sergeant?"

"They already thought of that. The camera was on the fritz and the desk sergeant is away on his honeymoon."

"There has to be someone. What about the patrolman that put them in the cells?"

"Fortunately I thought of them and some of them were taking pictures of me which may have the kids in the frame. For once I am very happy about the skin tight suit. If not for that, they might not have been taking pictures."

Pulling her in tighter, he said, "I love you in that suit. Frankly, though, I love you better ... out of it."

Smiling, she tilted her head up and kissed him, then she sighed and said, "You always say the sweetest things."

While this was going on, the lawyer was talking to the Kyle family, "You said this would be a sure thing."

Bud replied, "It should have been. I noticed the out of order sign on the camera. I knew it would take Pop a while to get there. In that time they were sure to have a shift change so the same guy wouldn't be on the desk. I threatened Mike until he hit me a few times, hard enough to make bruises. I forgot about those cops takin' pictures of Ultra Woman."

"All right then, the only thing to do is say it was all a mistake."

Bud's father stopped him and said, "Nothin' doin'. I hired you to keep my kid out of juvie and to keep me from havin' to pay that fine and make some money in the deal. You're gonna go in there and convince that judge that she done it. Then we all get a big payday."

"That is going to be impossible if those pictures show him unblemished."

"Maybe they won't. We're just gonna have to wait and see."

When the hour had elapsed they had all returned to the courtroom. The judge addressed Ultra Woman, "Please resume your place in the witness box."

After she had resumed her seat, he said, "I just received the pictures." He pulled them up on his laptop and said, "It is hard to tell. The pictures are rather small."

Ultra Woman zoomed in with her microscopic vision and in her anxiety went too far, seeing a field of dots spaced wide apart without seeing a picture. She backed off on the magnification and scanned the pictures. Pointing to two of them, she said, "If you have these two enlarged and printed, I believe it will show that Bud was unblemished at the time the pictures were taken. From the angles I would say that these were taken by two different individuals."

The judge checked the original emails and saw that her supposition was correct. He looked at the lawyer with a stern expression, "Well, councilor, what do you have to say?"

The layer was in a panic and chose to throw his clients under the bus, "I didn't know anything about that, your honor. They came to me with the pictures and told me that Ultra Woman had done it. That's all I know."

Bud’s father responded with a loud snort.

Hearing that, the judge replied, "Councilor, if there was any way I could prove that you willingly participated in this attempted fraud, I'd have you disbarred. As it is, all I can say is - get out of my courtroom and thank your lucky stars that I can't prove it."

The lawyer hastily grabbed his bag and left. As the door closed behind him, the judge muttered, "I hate ambulance chasers," then turned his attention back to Ultra Woman, "I want to apologize for doubting you and taking your time this way. You are excused."

"Thank you, your honor, but might I ask what is to be done here?"

"I have to say, I don't like what has happened here. First, there was the incident that brought this young man in, in the first place, but complicating that is what they tried to do to you. I don't know if I should blame the child or the parents. I think it is apparent that the parents had some level of involvement."

"May I speak on their behalf?"

"You want to speak for them, after what they tried to do to you?"

"Yes, your honor. The attempt has failed. They paid for a lawyer unless he was working on commission. I think there is a fine for littering. Let that be the end of it, unless you feel that family counseling would help."

“I am inclined to agree with you.” He turned so that he was facing the Kyles and said, “The fine for the littering will be fifty dollars and I agree with Ultra Woman, I think that family counseling is needed and it is so ordered.” He brought his gavel down with a loud thwack. “Pay the bailiff. Court dismissed.”

As Ultra Woman was leaving, she could hear Bud’s father grumbling and muttering indistinctly. She couldn’t make out the words, but the tone was a threatening one.

As soon as Lois was back at the Planet, she sat on the corner of Clark’s desk and looked at what was on his computer screen. It was a write-up of a recent Superman rescue.

He asked, “How did it go?”

“I’ll never complain about my uniform being too tight again.”

“The pictures showed that he was uninjured.”

“Sure did. Their lawyer threw them under the bus, claiming he had nothing to do with the attempted fraud, but I think the judge knew better.”

“All’s well that ends well.”

“Yes, all’s well that ends well and this ended well. They’ve been ordered into family counseling.”

“It just might do some good.”

“To borrow a phrase from Herb, ‘Only time will tell.’”

They didn’t hear anything further from the court system which was not unusual in cases like this the records are normally sealed.

Jon did report to them that after the winter holiday, Bud did not return to school immediately. There was a period of close to two months that he was absent from school. Speculation was that his family had moved, but suddenly, in March, he reappeared.

After he returned, Jon noticed that he gave him a wide burth.

TBC

comments go here

Last edited by KenJ; 09/21/16 07:17 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj