Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Blogger
Blogger
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Hello YantyChen,

Welcome to the message board and thank you for posting. You make some good points about Borneo.

Please don't apologize about your English; it is quite good. (It is certainly better than Clark's Portuguese appears to be. ;-) )

Joy,
Lynn

Thank you Lynn

Originally Posted by NostalgiaKick
Welcome, YantyChen! smile

As Lynn said, your points about Borneo are very good. We're assembling an interesting mix of languages here.

He brought French cheese, Belgian chocolate, Andean snow, and a Japanese pearl.
Thanks Lynn, I could not for the life of me remember what he brought. You're right, I'd imagine he found the pearl rather than bought it.

Originally Posted by Christina
To clarify on Chinese, He can definitely order food from Beijing, so Mandarin is a definite.
Okay, I'm wondering if there's a difference here in the version of the pilot that's distributed in Australia, as mine shows Clark going to Shanghai rather than Beijing. Anyone able to clarify this?
If he goes to Shanghai, then the Shanghainese dialect is more common than Mandarin.
Thank you NostalgiaKick

He can use Standard Mandarin everywhere in China big cities, it eliminates several problems caused by dialect differences..with the exception of Hong Kong, Cantonese is a must
Where did they say they visited in AKA Superman? I remember them talking about the Metropolis restaurant compared to a place they visited. That definitely would be a canonical language he'd know.

I tried to hear Penny ordering dinner in Mandarin,wew...that was horrible except the last 2 words whick i thought should be pronounced as "xie xie"

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally Posted by YantyChen
Hello YantyChen,

Welcome to the message board and thank you for posting. You make some good points about Borneo.

Please don't apologize about your English; it is quite good. (It is certainly better than Clark's Portuguese appears to be. ;-) )

Joy,
Lynn

Thank you Lynn

Originally Posted by NostalgiaKick
Welcome, YantyChen! smile

As Lynn said, your points about Borneo are very good. We're assembling an interesting mix of languages here.

Thanks Lynn, I could not for the life of me remember what he brought. You're right, I'd imagine he found the pearl rather than bought it.

To clarify on Chinese, He can definitely order food from Beijing, so Mandarin is a definite.
Okay, I'm wondering if there's a difference here in the version of the pilot that's distributed in Australia, as mine shows Clark going to Shanghai rather than Beijing. Anyone able to clarify this?
If he goes to Shanghai, then the Shanghainese dialect is more common than Mandarin.
Thank you NostalgiaKick

He can use Standard Mandarin everywhere in China big cities, it eliminates several problems caused by dialect differences..with the exception of Hong Kong, Cantonese is a must
Where did they say they visited in AKA Superman? I remember them talking about the Metropolis restaurant compared to a place they visited. That definitely would be a canonical language he'd know.

I tried to hear Penny ordering dinner in Mandarin,wew...that was horrible except the last 2 words whick i thought should be pronounced as "xie xie"
Thank you for the information. To be specific about which scene I'm talking about, Lois is tries to get Clark to come upstairs to the bullpen and they're talking about the restaurant they just ate at. He talks about the food, but the accent of the server being terribly inauthentic.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Features Writer
Features Writer
I think you're looking for the opening scene.

From the online script :

CLARK: "The chef's recipes may have been authentic -- but our waiter's _accent_..."

LOIS: "I think the closest he's come to Italy was watching 'The Godfather Part II.' "
Sounds as though it's an Italian restaurant but not in Italy. Probably in Metropolis or somewhere else in the U.S.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
His friend in Chi of Steel speaks in Cantonese which is the dialect that most immigrant Chinese speak. I did find it funny that in the pilot that he went to Shanghai to order the food that he did because the dumplings that he brought back are traditional yum cha dishes yum cha originates from Canton and not Shanghai.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Kerth
Kerth

Actually, according to the script he brought Swiss chocolate. I know it's Swiss chocolate in the german translation of the show. That would prove his knowledge of either German, Italian, French or Rhaeto-Romanic, which is only spoken by a minority. If he was in the German speaking part, he might have needed to understand the local dialect, which is barely understandable to someone speaking standard German.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Thanks for the correction, Bakasi. I don't know how I made that error. I actually had checked the script for the snow and pearl before I posted. I had thought I had checked for the chocolate as well, but I must not have done. Sorry about that... blush

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
He diverted the lava from a volcano eruption in...It's A Small Word After All. I would venture to bet that he speaks Native Hawaiian.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard