Print Thread
#271491 08/29/16 07:59 AM
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Feedback folder.

This one ended up much more pain-filled and sad than I originally intended.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, how sad! mecry You really feel the pain that Lois is putting Clark through. Yes, partially it is his own fault (we all know that even if Clark can't see it clearly through his own disguise).

Maybe she’s right. I love her; I am completely head-over-heels in love with Lois Lane. But if she doesn’t return them, then my feelings are moot. I know I’m inexperienced when it comes to romantic relationships, but if she wanted to be with me, why would she go out with Scardino?
I totally agree with Clark, here. I know Lois is just hedging her bets, and that's how some people date. She doesn't consider them exclusive (although, how she couldn't be exclusive with someone she works so closely with, I don't know), and of course, we know that Clark has eyes for nobody but her. As I say, the irony here is the lack of communication between two professionals in the communication field.

Still... You can feel Clark's pain. He loves her. He wants her to be happy, but to allow his own soul to survive I can't see how he would be able to stick around if she chose yet another man over him.

But by all that’s holy, I wanted her to be happy with me.
I love that there's a tiny part of him that's still optimistic. So Clark!

Can they kiss and make up now? mecry

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Is that how she sees me? I’ve always tried not to stand out from the crowd; too much attention is bad news when you’re hiding a secret as big as Superman. I’ve done my best to blend in, and up until now my success has been my advantage. But has it also worked against me?

The man is trying so hard to be low-key. Of course he's going to do his best to blend in and not make waves. Sometimes the most exciting people in the world do the same thing.

How could Lois think that Clark is boring? Dan is a sugarplum, but he is no Clark. Hopefully she will see the light of day and give her partner more than a passing glance.

The tone of this ficlet was just right! thumbsup

Last edited by Morgana; 08/29/16 09:48 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Morning.

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
She doesn't consider them exclusive (although, how she couldn't be exclusive with someone she works so closely with, I don't know), and of course, we know that Clark has eyes for nobody but her.
You've hit the nail on the head there, Virginia. Lois may not have considered them exclusive (which I do kind of get, considering they'd only had one date), but for Clark, it was a foregone conclusion. He'd finally managed to get a date with the woman of his dreams and now there was someone else in the picture. Add in the fact that it wasn't the first time she'd rejected him for someone else, and it's no wonder he reacted as badly as he did!

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
He wants her to be happy, but to allow his own soul to survive I can't see how he would be able to stick around if she chose yet another man over him.
I couldn't agree more!

Originally Posted by Morgana
How could Lois think that Clark is boring? Dan is a sugarplum, but he is no Clark.
I know right! Even discounting the powers, he's far from boring. I never really saw the appeal of Scardino, personally. I don't think he was a bad guy, just not my cup of tea. Of course, part of that is probably because I'm biased towards Clark lol.

I'm glad the both of you are still reading these. After 40, it would be so easy to lose interest! So thank you for that, and for your continual encouragement smile

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm glad the both of you are still reading these. After 40, it would be so easy to lose interest! So thank you for that, and for your continual encouragement smile
Don't worry. They might be part of a series, but they totally stand on their own. clap Keep at it!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I'm definitely still reading these super-shorts. smile This one caught me a bit off guard though. I'm sure it's because of the story I wrote that featured Sarah (Harmonicity...it's on the other side of the boards and absolutely belongs there!), but I immediately recognized this:

Sarah Longely compared me to a rowboat.

Which made me go back and re-read the author's note. So it's clear from all of these clues that the story is based on the script for T:JO and not the episode that aired. Most of the scripts posted here are quite consistent with the episodes, but this one is an exception. There were some rewrites that I feel changed the tone of the interactions between the characters. I always believed that Sarah in the script was providing a cautionary tale with her rowboat analogy, but others interpreted her rocky road analogy as her pushing Lois towards Dan. I don't think Lois believes Clark is boring - she admits she'd miss chocolate if she couldn't have it, and earlier she smiles as she describes covering chocolate with whipped cream and nuts. wink But by the end of the episode, she is frustrated that Clark keeps disappearing instead of having an honest conversation with her, so she throws Dan a bone. Clark never saw this - he was out on a rescue.

So the question then becomes does Clark think Lois thinks he is boring? I don't think so - again, he acknowledges to her that he knows how she's feeling about his disappearing act. If Clark deems himself boring, it's because he deems Dan exciting in comparison. And I don't think Clark's in the frame of mind to think any charitable thoughts about Dan in this episode. But in the script...I just re-read that ending. Geez, Clark! Man up! Lois says she'd going to give Dan a chance, and Clark says, "Okay"??!!! That's awful. No wonder that got a rewrite.

Anyway, you gave me an excuse to re-watch T:JO tonight. Gosh, I love Sarah. She and Jimmy are wonderfully adorkable together. love And since the next episode is IR, you have the chance to write about that 7pm date and pull Clark out of his sad funk. grin Boring Clark needs to prove to both himself and to Lois that he is anything but boring. devil

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wonderful job, Feli clap clap clap !

Please keep this series up. I really enjoy them and look forward to seeing what you take from each episode--and from that, what we learn from the characters. You've done a fantastic job hyper.

I've never liked Dan--probably because I resented him (like Clark) for getting in the way of Lois and Clark's potential budding relationship. Again siding with Clark grin--probably because I was so excited that they went out on a date love --I pegged Lois and Clark as 'exclusive' pretty much immediately. But thinking on it now, I can totally see why Lois would not. She's cautious about dating someone, has been burned before, and then she has Clark and his bad excuses continually running out on her. Dan would seem like a breath of fresh air when she's hurting and confused by Clark's actions.

Clark could have handled things better--maybe that's why it's so amazingly wonderful (finally) to see him fight for them at the end of IR and score a date. (Thanks for bringing up that scene, Susan...one of my all-time favorites love. So romantic! ).

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Late to my own party, but...

Originally Posted by groobie
So it's clear from all of these clues that the story is based on the script for T:JO and not the episode that aired.

Ah... you got me blush A combination of a manufacturing fault that makes part of my copy of S2 unplayable and my iTunes playing up meant I wrote this one from my recollection of the episode. I checked a couple of points against the script, which as you've pointed out, apparently don't match up with the episode that aired.

How embarrassing.

Kerth
Kerth
Oh, no, don't be "embarrassed" by working off the script vs. the aired episode. You're more than welcome to use any source material (or none! see any next-gen fic). I was just pointing out the reasoning behind my interpretation of Lois and Clark's behaviors in this episode and how that interpretation can change based on what's in the posted version of the script vs. what ultimately aired. And also, my ready defense of Sarah...because I fell in love with her while writing Harmonicity. laugh

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard