Part Five

Lex Luthor walked down the grand staircase and entered the ballroom, scrutinizing the beautifully decorated space with a discerning eye. The months and weeks of preparation had borne superb results, everything was as it should be; silverware gleaming, wait staff impeccably dressed and the orchestra played classical jazz with effortless skill.

He moved about the ballroom like a sultan surveying his palatial tents, underneath the massive crystal chandelier, opulently attired guests swirled about on the dance floor or stood by watching the dancers and sipping flutes of chilled champagne. The night promised to be an unequivocal success, all that remained was for him to make the announcement.

Unexpectedly, his eyes caught sight of a beautiful woman with skin the color of deep amber, her white gown flowed effortlessly about her tall, shapely frame as he observed her. There was something about this woman which enraptured him. He was no stranger to stunning women; fashion models, actresses and singers all at one time or another approached him, but there was more here than beauty. This delectable, mysterious creature seemed to reach out from across the room and capture his heart.

He smiled with pleasure in anticipation of meeting her and immediately picked up two glasses of sparkling champagne and with the skill borne of many such encounters approached.

“Good evening, a woman as beautiful as you should sip this champagne. I promise you it will quench your thirst.” He graciously handed her the flute of sparkling wine.

Her smile was open and warm as she accepted the glass, raised it to her lips and drank delicately. A pair of intelligent hazel eyes studied him over the rim of the glass. “Thank you kind sir, my throat is a little parched. If I may be so bold Mr. Luthor, I must tell you this… event quite takes my breath away.”

“Boldness is a quality I find very attractive in a woman. Especially one as striking as you … Miss…?”

“Mrs. Aykira Milan-Klein. My husband Bernard and I are part of the S.T.A.R. Labs Space Probe Science Team.”

Lex was briefly taken aback, but he swiftly rallied. “You surprised me … Mrs. Klein and I am not often surprised.”

A firm, strong masculine voice from behind Lex said, “My wife’s ability to surprise was one of the many qualities which attracted me to her.” Bernard Klein spoke as he stepped around Luthor and gently took his wife’s hand. “I’m truly sorry Darling, last minute paperwork for the launch. You weren’t lonely without me?”

Aykira shook her head, the gold and diamond drop earrings tinkled, gently reflecting the light, like tiny twin prisms. Lex observed how the couple’s eyes met, each comfortable to be with the other. For a brief, aching instant, he wished a similar rapport existed between himself and Arianna.

“Ah yes, paperwork, the bane of a scientist’s life. But no Bern, not lonely, Mr. Luthor is a sparkling conversationalist.”

Lex’s smile did the job of hiding his disappointment that the object of his desire was smitten by her husband. He knew from experience that such women never strayed from their mates. “Sadly, paperwork is the lifeblood of corporations as well; we are all trapped by it. But please, the night is just beginning, eat, drink and enjoy our earthbound fare…”

“…for in a few days we shall fly?” Aykira finished his sentence, her smile displayed perfect white teeth.

“Yes indeed you shall fly. More is the pity, may your team reap bounteous scientific benefits from the next three months.” Taking Aykira’s hand, he bowed low, kissed it and then held on, perhaps longer than is considered polite - especially with the lady’s husband standing by.

He released her hand and after exchanging a few banal pleasantries watched with dark, envious eyes as Bernard Klein lightly placed a protective arm around her waist and gently propelled her away from Lex.

“Incredible.” Lex whispered, openly envious, “’She walks in beauty and sets off my heart.’ I hope that fool Klein realizes what a treasure he has.”

“What who has Lex?” said a familiar and extremely cool voice from behind him.

Lex turned around, his public masque firmly in place once more. “Ah, no one to concern yourself with my dear, you are the most beautiful woman in the room.” Lex said to Arianna as he bent to lay a kiss on her cheek. He said and did this, all the time keeping a watchful eye on the retreating couple.

Standing not too far from the Luthors by one of the buffet tables was Preston Carpenter and his girlfriend, the exquisitely dressed Linda King. They carefully scrutinized the exchange taking place between Arianna and her husband.

Preston lit up a cigar and said, “Ah Linda, all is not well in the house of Luthor. Their little tiff would make a succulent sidebar to the ‘About Town’ page!”

“I know it!” She said with a nasty gleam in her eye. “I’ll find out the particulars of that other couple and phone it into the night staff. The Daily Planet wouldn’t have anything like this to report. I don’t see Lois Lane or her buddy Catherine Grant around. The new gossip columnist, Peggy Becker, is worthless.”

“Careful my pretty,” Preston spoke breathless into her ear, “Your rivalry with that reporter, is not our reason for being here tonight.”

“Daae wanted us here for some reason, besides picking up bits of information and networking. Where is that ‘Salamander from Zurich’ anyway?” Linda responded boldly.

Preston looked around guardedly, “Don’t worry, he’s bound to slitter out from whatever boulder he’s hiding under sooner or later.”

On the opposite side of the ballroom stood a young man who had witnessed countless elegant affairs in many different countries. Nonetheless the grand sophistication of the White Orchid Ball could be considered as nothing less than magical.

Clark watched Lois enter the ballroom in a stunning burgundy gown; her hair swept up and held in place with a single pearl studded comb, adorning her ears were a pair of pearl earrings with a matching strand around her long sensuous neck.

Absorbing the magnificent sight of his lovely partner nearly thrust all thought of Lana out of his head. He thought, <She is absolutely dazzling this evening!> At that moment something almost primal stirred within him, nibbling frantically at his very essence. He wanted to say something to her, possibly changing his entire existence she noticed him and approached with smooth, ballerina like steps, her mouth twitched into a smile and she spoke, while hitting him on the shoulder with her purse.

“Good, you’re here! The tuxedo looks great, black really becomes you! See, taking my advice works! Come on, it’s time we get to work.” Standing on tiptoe and glancing over his shoulder she said, “*Where* is Jack?”

The delicate imagery shattered like a soap bubble as Clark set his mind back to the job of being a reporter. But he mused to himself. <She likes the tux? That’s a step in the right direction!>

“I’m over here!” The younger man said as he walked towards them. Jack was tugging on his collar. “Working these kinds of gigs is always a problem. Maxim’s can’t ever seem to find a tux shirt that fits my neck.”

With a dismissive wave of the hand, Lois ignored him and turned her attention to the room and its dazzling occupants. “You’ll be fine. What’s going on in this place?”

“Nothing really,” Jack shrugged, “just a group of society snobs walking around, drinking wine and trying to sound important. This ain’t exactly my idea of a photojournalist’s dream. Oh yeah, The Metropolis Star is represented by the owner and publisher Preston Carpenter …”

Lois sighed and shook her head. “…and his ‘star’ reporter Linda King she said, finishing his sentence. Neither one of them could find a story with a flashlight and a laser pointer! How do you expect to learn the trade of photojournalism without *observing* your subjects? Right now my target is the Luthors. Everything that has been written about them since getting married five years ago is totally superficial. Better news could be found on the bottom of a birdcage! I want the definitive story on those two … starting tonight!”
She opened her clutch and nestled between a metallic tube of lipstick and silver compact was a small recorder; she pulled the device out and brandished it in front of them like it was a weapon.

“Uh, shouldn’t that be a small notepad and pencil?” Clark asked.

“Get with the times Kansas, I don’t want to fumble around with that stuff on a night like this! As long as the person I’m talking to knows I have the device, its fine. Stand back gentlemen and watch a professional in action!”

Lois moved with fluid gracefulness, yet her mind was anything but calm and peaceful. <*He* makes that tuxedo not the other way around. That is a fantastic physique he has been hiding under those boxy jackets and out-of date pants? No wonder Miss Dairy Queen sticks so close! If he were my boyfriend, I wouldn’t let him out of my sight either!>

A tiny mental voice whispered, <Don’t think about Kent right now. You have work to do!>

Lois proceeded to work the room, holding up the miniature recorder and fearlessly asking questions of several of the more prominent guests.

“Senator Wilcox, the city of Metropolis is anxiously awaiting the completion of the new underground line. Will it be completed by the proposed deadline?”

“Ambassador T’Quay, how are your people dealing with the drought situation – especially now that the food and medical supplies have been pouring in from nations all over the world?”

“Congresswoman Brackett, any indication as to which way you’ll vote on the solar energy bill?”

And so it went. Lois continued garnering tips and ideas for at least three or more articles that would be of interest to the citizens of Metropolis. Clark now understood just why they had been asked to cover the event. It was a goldmine for enterprising reporters to network with international powerbrokers and cultivate those relationships. He realized with a great sense of humility he was watching a skilled mistress of the game, working hard at her craft.
He heard Jack say with admiration, “She’s impressive.”

“She most certainly is impressive. It’s a miracle I’m able to work on the same level with somebody like that.” He said respectfully.

“Hey Clark, don’t sweat it. If there was any indication you couldn’t cut it over the past six months, Lois would have found some way to ease you out of working the city desk.” He looked Clark over and said, “Great tux!”

Clark nodded; despite the change of clothing, Lois still didn’t completely respect him. He wondered if his relationship with Lana had anything to do with that?

Lois, totally oblivious to the conversation between her colleagues, zeroed in on the Luthors, she noticed that they were having a discussion and from the appearance of their body language, it wasn’t a cheerful one.

<Hmmm trouble is paradise? I’ll leave the gossip to our new columnist Peggy Becker, she could use the material.>

She was about to approach the couple when the environment in the Lexor’s ballroom seemed to shift, almost as if it crackled with a electricity that had previously been absent.

Gregory Daae walked down the staircase shaking hands and greeting different guests as if he were a long standing member of the Metropolis society scene. His graceful confidence put many of the party goers at ease while some athletic men half his age openly envied him and no wonder. A number of the most attractive women in the room could not tear their eyes away from him. It was rumored that several society matrons had tried to ensnare him for their daughters. So far none had been even remotely successful.

The man was the embodiment of charismatic charm and physical prowess - a latter day Cary Grant. There was something different about his eyes, the way he looked right at a person and for those few brief drops of time, that person was the center of Daae’s universe. The side of his personality which terrified Preston Carpenter, Linda King and countless others was, for the time being, nowhere to be found.
Ordinarily it was a rare thing for Daae to be in the states, much less make a public appearance at such an event as the White Orchid Ball. With the Age of Napoleon exhibit at the Metropolis museum now moving from the planning stages to actual construction, he was becoming a fixture in Metropolis. A number of pieces from his own private Napoleon collection were being displayed as well. It was said that Daae made several phone calls to Professor Lang on a weekly basis to discuss numerous aspects of the display.

He walked towards the Luthors and Lois could have sworn that for the barest of seconds Arianna gazed at Daae with open desire and then the look vanished.

Watching Daae, Lois drew her eyebrows together, noting the man’s confident, even arrogant expression as his eyes swept over the room and then settled on the couple. He seemed to be slightly amused by Arianna and wary of Lex. She wondered thoughtfully, who truly was the master of the White Orchid Ball now that the Swiss businessman had arrived. He looked so smug in his Saville Row tuxedo. <Be patient Mr. Daae, I have a whole series of articles just waiting to be written up telling all about you!>

“Lois! Lois!”

Startled she turned to find Jack, with camera in hand. “Yes, what is it!” She hissed.

Taken aback by the anger in her words Jack looked at her with a slightly hurt expression. “I was hoping you knew where CK was.”

Lois bit her lip and took a calming breath. “Look, please accept my apology, that guy Daae brings out the worst in me. I thought Kent was with you?”

“Nope, I’ve been taking pictures. Got some really good shots of Daae walking downstairs, from the way he acts, anyone would think this was *his* event, not Luthor’s. I’ll bet CK gets an earful from his girlfriend about this guy. From what I understand he’s very demanding of Professor Lang and all his staff.”

“Well, I’m glad to see somebody is giving *her* grief for a change! Now where is Kent? Has he pulled another one of his disappearing acts?”

As if on cue, Clark appeared holding a small plate of finger food. “I’m right here.”

“Fine. We have to split up, you need to speak with Lex and I’m going after Arianna.”

“Still trying to get that interview?” Clark asked with a small teasing smile

Totally misreading his intention Lois shot back. “Why else would I spend good money on *this* dress *and* get my hair and nails done by the best stylist in town … to dance the cornhusk two-step with you? It’s to land a thirty minute interview with the most talked about couple in Metropolis!”

Clark, properly rebuked, wisely kept his mouth closed. He watched as Lois turned her back on him and plunged into the glittering sequined fray once more.

After nearly an hour trying to speak with Arianna, Lois finally managed to buttonhole the better half of the Luthor duo. But Arianna, aware of whom she was talking to slipped into banal social chit chat. “Miss Lane, are you enjoying the evening?”

Hearing the boring cliché, Lois silently and very quickly counted to ten and responded in kind, “Very much, each year the White Orchid Ball is an event I look forward to attending. The next day it is always the talk of Metropolis.”

“We have an *excellent* staff that puts together these gatherings. Perhaps you would care to talk with them?”

“Actually, I want to conduct an interview with both you and your husband.”

The other woman tilted her head slightly as if measuring Lois’ determination. “Ah, as you are well aware we are rather busy people. Getting one of us to sit down for an interview is hard enough, but of us…?” Arianna shook her head. “No, I am sorry, currently that is quite impossible.”

Seeing that Arianna’s attention was on the wane Lois continued, “But it has been a long time since a reputable newspaper like the Daily Planet had an interview with the Luthors. I want to ask a few questions.” Lois hastily reached into her clutch and pulled out the recorder.

Arianna’s social masque slipped ever so slightly, she gently reprimanded Lois by saying, “Please put away that vulgar machine. I am enjoying a pleasant evening, now is certainly *not* the time for interviews.” With those words, Arianna walked away, leaving Lois standing alone holding the unused recording device in her hand.

Realizing it would be foolish and completely unprofessional to chase after Arianna. Lois stuffed the recorder back into her bag. She had made an awful mistake going after her like that, but her competitive streak had really come out this evening and she was making a mess of things not only with Arianna, but with her fellow reporters as well.

Clark had observed the entire exchange and shook his head, sometimes it takes more than just being “Mad Dog Lane” to catch a story. But then he realized if a seasoned veteran like Lois failed, he did not have a chance to convince Lex Luthor to have a one-on-one interview. Feeling the pressure of the situation, he took a glass of champagne, more to have something to hold in his hand rather than drink and began strolling around the ballroom. He was mentally looking to create an angle on which to write an article about this evening’s event.
Being a Daily Planet reporter for the past six months he had built up a small, but creditable network of contacts. Some of them were present. He had just finished chatting with Neal Jenson, head of Electric General Corp., when Mrs. Luthor bumped into him, spilling champagne over his tuxedo.

“Oh, I beg your pardon, how clumsy of me! Please excuse me Mr.…?”

“Kent. Clark Kent. No problem Mrs. Luthor, my dry cleaners will get this out.”

She looked up at him, her dark brown eyes briefly acknowledging how handsome her companion was. “No, I insist on paying. My personal cleaning service shall take care of it. Before leaving tonight, give the jacket to the concierge.”

Clark smiled shyly. “Thank you Ma’am, but the Daily Planet will cover it.”
He noticed Arianna’s eyes narrow slightly, she was probably not happy about being pigeon holed by yet another reporter from the Planet. Before she could excuse herself, Clark stammered out, “Th…this is certainly a wonderful gala. I remember attending an event in the Louvre held by Madame Javier …”

The name seemed to mean something to Arianna, she said, “Excuse me, Alexandria Javier?”

“Yes. Do you know her?”

“Of course! We attended the same school in Oxford. How do *you* know her?”

“My former dance instructor, Abrihet Sensai was able to get some of her students into the Ball. It was quite a memorable evening.”

She smiled and her eyes brightened, “The idea for this event was inspired by Alexandria’s own ball. She is a brilliant scholar, the Louvre is fortunate to have her on their staff. There were three such events.” Obviously Arianna was doing a little digging of her own she queried. “Which one was graced with your presence?”

There was a challenge in the question, Clark felt his ears redden; he almost put both hands in his pockets when he remembered the glass. Quickly he rushed to recover from the blunder and said “I believe it was 1988…” Clark said, searching his memory. “The theme was …”

“… Napoleon and Josephine! I was there!” she said with genuine delight, then a slight cloud passed over her face and she whispered so low only Clark could hear. “Lex and I were just engaged.”
Wisely, he let the comment go. It was not meant for him to hear. Arianna’s social face was firmly back in place when she spoke again,
“Do you remember each woman was asked to wear a shawl?”

“Ah yes. In honor of Empress Josephine, it was rumored she owned well over a thousand shawls. She was the undisputed Queen of Regency fashions. Poor Napoleon, he had to approve of her shopping bills!” He smiled thinking of a sea of lacy shawls in colorful fabric being tried on by the Empress.

Arianna continued asking Clark questions about the ball, which led to other discussions. Finally he said to her, “I really would like to conduct an interview between yourself and Mr. Luthor. The residents of Metropolis are not very familiar with you. For instance, it was never discussed what led up to the decision to sell part of your Picasso collection and give the proceeds to several area orphanages.”

The muscles underneath her skin pulled the lips into an imitation of a smile which did not quite reach her large brown eyes. “Lex and I thought the buildings and gymnasiums in those facilities were desperately in need of updating. Nothing more involved than that. Still, that happened quite awhile ago Mr. Kent. I congratulate you on good research skills.”

Again, the Midwestern appeal came into play. “Not research skills, I like to know the movers and shakers in this city. After all, it is my home now.”

The expression on her face was one of genuine amusement. “A good newspaperman is to be respected, especially one who is as smart and charming as you.” She paused for a moment and then spoke again, weighing her words. “Getting both Lex and myself together for an interview might be difficult, but perhaps we can conduct them separately? If you contact my assistant, Mr. Kane, he may be able to fit you into my schedule for a few minutes.” She looked over his shoulder and smiled. “It appears your associate Miss Lane wants to join us. If you wish, bring her along on *my* interview, but not Lex’s. Enjoy the rest of the ball Mr. Kent.” She extended her hand and he bowed over it, just short of giving it a courtly kiss.

Clark watched as Arianna melted into the throng and walked towards Lex and Gregory Daae. His self-confidence soared as if he were flying! All too quickly he was slammed back to Earth when he heard a familiar heartbeat pounding in fury and then Lois’ voice spoke with frigid sharpness.

“Why you self-serving rat! That was *my* interview! It’s taken me months to get close to either one of them and you manage to get it in a few minutes!”

He put up his hands in a slight defensive gesture. “I’m sorry, Lois, but it’s all about timing … and the proper approach …”

“Approach? She spilled champagne all over you! That’s not an approach, that’s being clumsy!”

“If it makes you feel any better, Arianna said you could partner with me on her interview.”

That got her attention. Her brown eyes fixed him with a laser-like stare and said, “What about Lex?”

“Nope, you are only allowed to accompany me on her interview.”

“Figures! No thanks, I’m not going to hang around like you’re my big brother and I get to be chaperone.”

Clark couldn’t help but grin, “Well, from what I could see, you were a little abrasive with Arianna. Honestly, Lois, this just fell into my lap.”

She rolled her eyes and snapped, “Great! During the interview, try not to let *Mrs. Luthor* fall into your lap!” She looked over to the bar and growled, “I hope that bartender knows how to make a chocolate martini!” With those words she stormed over to the bar
Catherine chose that moment to come over. “I saw you talking with Mrs. Luthor. Was she sorry after spilling champagne all over your tux?”

He nodded, his eyes following Lois. “Yes, she was. Apparently we have a mutual acquaintance in common. She granted me an interview. Huh, Lois will come with me of course.” He added hastily.
His friend looked at him and then gazed over to the bar where Lois was trying to catch the bartender’s attention. She sighed and said, “Let me guess, Lois is asking him to make her a chocolate martini?”

Surprised, Clark said, “Yeah, how did you know?”

She patted his shoulder and smiled, “Women talk. Catch you later Clark.” With that Catherine walked over to the bar in hopes of consoling her friend.

"Go easy on Clark. He is not Claude." Her friend said without preamble.

Lois sighed. If there was anyone she would listen to it was Catherine Grant. After all, she had quietly warned her about Claude and she hadn't paid heed to the advice and it lead to a lot of pain. "Your right. But to lose out to Kansas? He's got such a touchy-feely writing style. The article will turn into just another puff-piece."

"Not with you being there to ask the right questions at the right time. Clark is a good reporter. I trust and respect him. You need to do more of the same."

The bartender placed the martini in front of her and moved off. Lois took a quick sip and smacked her lips. "Perfection." she said. "You are right. I will to be nicer to him ... after this Arianna interview is over."

While Lois was enjoying her chocolate martini and talking to Catherine, Gregory spoke with Lex and his wife.

“Is everything ready for the announcement?” Daae asked.

Lex’s social facade was perfectly in place so he did not react when hearing the demanding tone in Daae’s voice; he smiled and then said, “Of course! LexCorp is not the nervous board of directors for the Metropolis Museum. I have the best people working for me. Relax Gregory!” Luthor effortlessly picked up a flute of champagne from a passing waiter and pressed it into the other man’s hand. “Drink up; the night will be a triumph for all of us.”

The older man brought the glass to his lips and looked at Luthor than rested his piercing blue eyes on Arianna for a moment. When he brought the empty flute down he said, “Oui, a definite triumph.”

Around midnight when the big band orchestra was at full swing playing Count Basie’s One O’clock Jump and the guests were heating up the floor, a loud gong was heard and Lex’s amplified voice rang out.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, please accept my apology for interrupting your fun on the dance floor, but could I have your attention please!”

All eyes turned to Lex, standing at the top of the grand staircase, to his right, not surprisingly stood Arianna and curiously Gregory Daae on his left.

“My friends, we have a momentous announcement to make, please look above you.”

Suddenly the lights dimmed and just below the ceiling, a large holographic display of what could only be a space station turned slowly above their heads. Like some latter day P.T. Barnum, Lex allowed the astonished audience to gape up at the sight before making his explanation.

“Above our heads, is a startling glimpse of the next step of mankind’s exploration of space! EPRAD and Luthor Technologies have joined together and are in the process of constructing a space station which shall give the children of Earth a platform to the stars. Construction plans began over three years ago. The first five modules lifted off successfully and will soon be joined by many others.”

The room exploded into a loud dissonance of excited voices. The newsmen present were in a frenzy; all fighting to ask questions. The loudest among them was Ian Nansen of news channel 12, a strong competitor to LNN. Lex acknowledged him with a curt nod.

“Excuse me Mr. Luthor, but this is fantastic! How was your company able to launch a series of satellites in secret?”

“I … and my colleagues are men of vision Mr. Nansen. We, as a species, need to progress beyond the confines of our little planet. There are worlds beyond this one. Worlds for us to explore, colonize and shape into our own. It is impossible to do that without the cooperation and blessings of our government which is why this is a joint venture.” His dark eyes sparkled with a brilliant light as he emphasized those last two words.

More voices shouted to be heard, some in amazement and others in protest. Catherine Grant, waving her arms to get Lex’s attention asked another question.

“What is the name of this ‘venture’ Mr. Luthor?”

Lex turned to Arianna, took her hand, kissed it and smiled serenely.

“Care to tell them the name of the station my love?”

She looked at him and smiled as well, her genteel British accent rang out over the audience. “The name is Space Station Archimedes!”

A low swell of voices filled the room as the journalists started writing the information down, some quickly exited the ballroom to find a phone. But a single voice - a woman’s – cut through the hubbub and was heard loud and clear. All heads turned to Lois Lane as she spoke.

“What is Gregory Daae doing up there with you and Arianna? Does his media empire have a stake in this ‘joint venture’?” She asked sarcastically.

Lex leaned forward and was about to answer when Gregory cut him off.

“Lex, my friend, let me answer this impertinent young woman’s question. It should be amusing.” With those few words, he had managed to insult and belittle Lois while at the same time upstaging Lex Luthor. He looked out over the crowd, waiting until everyone had quieted down and he had their undivided attention. The Archimedes hologram continued to turn silently above them. “Miss Lane, you and your fellow journalists should know DMG and LNN will be working in concert to provide *primary coverage* of the space station’s construction and gathering of its first group of colonists.” A low murmur could be heard from other reporters, the idea of being cut out of a story of note; much less a historic one was an attack on freedom of the press. “I assure you Miss Lane all other news organizations the world over shall be provided with material as well as sending their own people to the observation platform to gather information. DMG in Europe, Asia and Africa and LNN in the Americas will have a separate channel devoted to covering the progress of construction, 24/7 from beginning to completion of construction.”

This was stunning news indeed.

“EPRAD and the government allowed this special channel to be created?” Lois was in such shock she almost squeaked.

“Yes,” he smiled, “it was part of the joint venture package.” Lois wanted to ask more questions, but Daae ignored her, continuing to speak. “This is the first of many stories to be covered by our corporations. DMG and LNN will work together reporting on stories throughout the globe and now in space.” He graced Lois with his attention once more and said, “I hope that has answered all your questions Mademoiselle Lane?”

“That only leads to several more. Perhaps we can discuss this at length further?”

“No, Mademoiselle. What I say to you will be heard by everyone. No reason to have my words, misquoted or taken out of context. A press kit will be given to yourself and other members of the media in attendance tonight.” He addressed the crowd saying, “Please continue enjoying the evening.”

Preston looked at Linda, who was now quietly tearing to tiny bits the information she had gathered on the Kleins during the evening. The *last* thing The Metropolis Star needed was to create a scandal involving the Luthors. LexCorp was partners with DMG which put them firmly within Daae’s sphere of influence which meant ‘hands off’.

Clark and Jack came up to her at the same time. “Wow! Check out the nerve of that guy! He didn’t even give you a chance to speak!” Jack said.

“Nothing, new there Jimmy, it’s the Daae style. Step on anything or anyone that gets in his way.” She tried hard to keep a brave face, but the word, ‘impertinent’ stung.

Perry arrived, with Alice by his side holding a thick purple folder, “Great shades of Elvis, I grabbed a press kit! Let’s get back to the Planet! I want to personally make sure the early edition gets put to bed with this announcement! Well don’t just sit there people let’s move! Jack, find Catherine and meet us in the lobby!”

After the dual announcements, the orchestra struck up Duke Ellington’s, Take the A Train and many of the guests enthusiastically returned to the dance floor. As soon as Catherine joined them Lois, Clark and Jack dutifully followed the chief out of the building and onto the street. Perry with the aplomb of a seasoned city dweller hailed a cab immediately.

“Clark, Alice and I can take Catherine in our cab. Follow us as soon as you can.” Perry said

“Right Chief! Come on, there’s another cab behind theirs.” Clark said as a yellow checkered Metro cab pulled up. They piled in, Jack was fiddling with his equipment, Clark looked over his notes and Lois sat between them, her voluminous gown wrapped around her legs. She was looking out the window, seeing nothing, her mouth set in a thin, hard line. <So much for looks and old-fashioned manners.> she thought venomously, <Once again a story I’ve worked on for months has been snatched away. This guy may be from Kansas, but he’s in some ways he’s just another Claude!>
&#8195;

Last edited by Morgana; 04/17/24 07:22 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.