Part Three

A tall man with expertly clipped white hair dressed in a perfectly tailored black suit emerged from his private jet shortly after it touched down in Metropolis’ Larkin Airport. He walked purposefully down the stairs and stepped lightly onto the tarmac. Around him, the busy airport ground crew mingled with his own staff as they prepared to taxi the Legend 100XP into its private hanger.

Nordic blue eyes watched through expensive wire rimmed glasses with cool detachment as the sleek craft rolled away until it was engulfed in the inky darkness of the hanger. His long angular body seemed to be in motion even though he remained perfectly still. In another time and place, the name Daae would have ranked first among the world’s great male ballet dancers.

Another man, not as tall, wearing a dark chauffer’s uniform approached this other man cautiously; he too waited until the plane was out of sight and then spoke in apprehensive tones.

“Sir, everything is arranged. If you will follow me this way; I can take you to the car.”

Gregory Daae turned as if he noticed the chauffer for the first time. With a brusque nod, he fell into step beside him as they walked towards the Silver Shadow Rolls Royce.

“Was your trip satisfactory, sir?” The Chauffer asked cautiously.

“Yes, Duncan, as a matter of fact it was. Now we can proceed with the next part of my plan. I trust all is arranged and Mr. Preston Carpenter will meet me at his office tomorrow?”

“Yes sir. He’s awaiting your call to confirm.”

“Good, let him wait. What about the meeting with Mr. Luthor and his associates?”

“Mrs. Aronnax has confirmed the series of meetings with Sheldon Bender, Mr. Luthor’s attorney.”

“Excellent. As always your services are impeccable.”

Duncan tipped his shiny black chauffeur’s hat while holding open the car’s heavy door. Upon hearing those words, his powerful wrestler’s body relaxed, visibly relieved, it had taken the better part of the day to discover the answers to these simple questions. Gregory Daae paid a great deal of money for him to find out answers such as these and was not a man to take failure lightly.

Ignorant of his driver’s concerns, Daae settled gratefully into the luxurious supple leather seating, he had departed Rome several hours ago and had worked almost the entire time as the sleek plane crossed the Atlantic. No one – not even his enemies - could call him a procrastinator. He gave aggressive attention to the projects which required it. For the ones that did not, he hired the right people to attend to such manners.

“Head to my Townhouse on Baylor Square. The sooner we conclude our business in this village, the sooner I can return to Zurich. Do you have the latest reports that were faxed in from Hong Kong and Madrid?”

“Yes Mr. Daae, they are inside the car.”

“Excellent. Thank you Duncan.”

Daae opened the thick red file folder and began writing notes for business appointments. He wanted to survey the Asian and European markets, specifically the movements of DMG’s media stocks. Within minutes he was deeply engrossed and paid no attention to the nighttime cityscape as Duncan drove through the darkness.

The traffic was almost nonexistent at that late hour. Soon, Duncan drove the shiny black rolls into the garage behind the turn of the century, 3,000 square foot brick townhouse. Without a word to his driver, who held the car door open for him, Daae climbed out of the vehicle and let himself into the lower level of the building. He walked briskly upstairs, used a key to open the heavy oak door, than stepped inside. His housekeeper and cook Cozette Faure, was not due until tomorrow, so Daae hesitated for a moment, breathed in the air of the room, and then his voice rang out.

“I know you are here! Come out of hiding at once!” With that he switched on the overhead pot lights, bathing the expansive high-ceiling living room with its gleaming Brazilian hardwood floors and leather furniture into life under the sharp illumination.

A slim feminine form stirred on the long, red leather couch. Arianna Carlin-Luthor blinked, her eyes adjusting to the bright lights as she stood up and glided towards him. She must have been waiting for only a short time, the navy and cream pantsuit she wore was barely creased.

“Gregory, what gave me away?” Her puzzled expression indicated she was genuinely surprised. “I took every precaution. No one saw me enter the building.”

He walked past her towards the bar and poured himself a drink of twelve-year-old bourbon into a heavy cut-glass tumbler. “Really Arianna, we had this discussion years ago. That fragrance was designed for you by one of the leading perfumers in Paris. It is unique to your body chemistry and since we were once lovers, it is therefore familiar to me. The rest was a reasonable deduction.” Daae held out a glass of white wine which she took gratefully.

“Touché. Tell me, why are you here in Metropolis?” she asked.

“Considering the fact you broke into my townhouse. Shouldn’t I be the one asking that particular question?”

“Don’t be tiresome Gregory. You gave me a key… remember? We were seeing each other at the time.”

He nodded, “Oui, during our last rendezvous you informed me of your intention to accept Luthor’s proposal of marriage. Not taking the key back was one of my few oversights; still considering my mood at the time that oversight should be forgiven.” His disposition changed from displeasure to tired irritation. “Short flights are exhilarating at times, but Atlantic crossings are exhausting. State your purpose here and then please leave.”

She took a sip of her wine, savoring the delicate notes of flavor as it swirled around her tongue. She took a shallow breath and said, “I…I wanted to say my marriage to Lex was a mistake.”

It was Daae’s turn to be surprised. “Five years is a long time. What made you finally arrive at that foregone conclusion?”

She shrugged her shoulders with studied carelessness and walked back to the couch, “Let’s just say sitting on countless charity and museum committees without my husband around is not my idea of a life or a marriage. Lex gets… distracted. I thought since you were here… ”

Daae looked down at her. There were rumors that one of those ‘distractions’ was Mindy Church, widow of the late Bill Church. He wondered if Arianna had anything to do with the contemptible blonde’s hasty departure from Metropolis. “It is one thing to acquire a man’s company and all his financial holdings, it is quite another to crawl into bed with his wife. My scruples are not numerous, but I have never stooped to that. Arianna…Mrs. Luthor, as I said before, it is time for you to return to your own home.”

But his visitor had no intention of leaving quite yet. “Perhaps the information I bear is worth something. I know for a fact the reason why you are visiting Metropolis is to meet with Lex regarding a partnership of sorts with LNN? According to my dear husband, there have been a number of backchannel conversations between both of you for months. The meeting you are going to have with him tomorrow is the first in a series, this time the lawyers and accountants are getting involved. It’s supposed to be very hush-hush. Any wind of such a partnership might create a backlash in the international stock markets. The last thing you and Lex want is for the media financial talking heads to make comments that will cause LNN and DMG’s stocks to trend downwards.”

Any fatigue Daae might have felt, evaporated upon hearing those words. He appreciated Arianna’s manipulative abilities, which made it essential to proceed cautiously. “I congratulate you on cultivating such an efficient network of spies within his company and the fact that he was willing to trust you. Apparently, charity work isn’t the only thing occupying your time. If memory serves me correctly, generosity was never one of your strongest qualities. No doubt there will be a heavy price to be paid for this information?”

Arianna smiled and leaned back into the cushions making herself perfectly at ease. Daae noted the look of calculation in her eyes as she spoke.

“My husband dreams of expanding LNN’s news coverage, despite its brand of being the premier television news outlet in this country, he wishes to go international. Unfortunately, DMG’s own powerful network in Europe and Asia stands in his way, hence this ‘partnership’. He’s obsessed with making LNN the foremost news service in the world. In the process, he’s ignoring me. I can fight another woman, but not a man’s obsession. So that is where you come in.”

Daae thought, <As always, Arianna was skillful in getting what she wanted. But perhaps the material she offered might prove helpful in his negotiations with Luthor tomorrow.>

“Very well, I accept this information and should it prove useful I’ll pay your price.”

She reached into a slender brown croco embossed satchel by her feet and pulled out two red and black colored diskettes, each stamped with the LNN logo.

“On the first diskette are spreadsheets with LNN’s cost run projections for this fiscal year, including overruns which won’t be seen on the report Lex will provide you with tomorrow. Those figures will be inaccurate, but not enough to be noticed at first examination. He will offer a program for information exchange with DMG – a limited partnership …in regards to the space station.” She paused looked into his wintry blues eyes and said, “According to my sources you want to purchase LNN outright. Don’t tell me you haven’t considered it. On diskette two is deep background material on all the key reporters, producers and directors. This kind of leverage material can be very helpful should you succeed in buying the network, having the best people in place already will save time and money.” She smiled, pleased with the fruits of her labors.

“Very impressive detective work, Madame, but you still have not revealed what your goal is.”

She smiled seductively, “My goal is to let you take ownership of LNN and eventually LexCorp itself. DMG has several small businesses here in the states, but as yet, has failed to gain a foothold with any serious media outlets.”

“Ah, there is an unambiguous flaw in this scheme; I am not a U.S. citizen. Being Swiss puts any ownership of an American media organization or a corporation like LexCorp out of my grasp.”

She laughed and said, “How many shell companies would it take? Nothing has ever prevented you from taking chances before.”

“Oui. Acquiring a small chain of failing radio stations in the early eighties is one thing. Taking over an internationally known cable news network that is owned by the third richest man in the world is something else entirely.”

Her tight lips moved into a rapier thin smile. “Thanks to a drastic programming revamp that failing radio station chain, Daromax, is now one of the most successful in the country. I have an… acquaintance who might be of some assistance, perhaps even a very workable Trojan horse. His name is Jasper Templar.”

“Ah, that name is not unfamiliar to me. He owns a second-rate string of cable TV stations in the Midwest, known by the unlikely name of ‘ZeroM’ Communications. I understand they produce shows about food and home improvement projects. There might be something beneficial to catering to such a niche market. Are you suggesting I use him as a front?”

She took a delicate sip of wine before answering, “Why not? In my dealings with Mr. Templar he has mentioned moving out of his small pond and into a much larger arena. You could be of assistance to each other. Who knows how many standing shares of LexCorp are out there. If Templar purchases several large blocks of shares carrying at least thirty-eight percent of the stock, than you will have three seats on the board. With two seats you can influence the other members and forge a blocking position on matters of importance.”

He sipped his drink, the smoky liquid played smoothly over his tongue. He was tried and in no condition to discuss such a deal at the moment, he needed to end this conversation. “Appealing proposal Arianna, but shall we stop dancing around the question of your fee to broker this under-the-table partnership to bring down your husband?”

Arianna slowly removed her black Gucci leather pumps, tucked her legs under her derriere and relaxed on the couch, as if to prepare for a long stay. This time when her red lips formed a smile they revealed two rows of brilliant white teeth. Her British accent, hinting at Mayfair and Oxford sounded invitingly flirtatious.

“It’s quite simple really. I want to be in the room when he learns LNN and LexCorp are no longer his. I want to be there to watch him fall to pieces. At that point I will be free to pursue… other desires.”

He smiled to himself. There was much more to Arianna’s actions then merely witnessing Lex’s day of reckoning. Sooner or later the prize she really wanted would be revealed. He drained the last of his drink and carefully set the heavy glass tumbler down on the bar. Now that she had explained her point, it was time to put an end to this ‘meeting’.

“Building Mr. Templar into my Trojan horse shall require time. Do you have the patience to wait?”

She pulled one golden earring off and rolled it between her hands. She spoke in a soft, yet firm voice, “You know I do.”

He looked her up and down and thought. <Yes, like a hungry Black Widow spider lying in the center of her web, waiting to ensnare her prey. Still, we were not discussing insects, but who shall be the master at playing corporate games.> Then he said, “Contact Mr. Templar. The terms of our agreement are these: The same shell companies which acquired Daromax will purchase his cable stations. It is essential there will be no public record of these transactions. The private arrangement will allow him access to capital so he can slowly buy stock in LNN. There will be no room for negotiations.”

“I suspect discussions for the partnership between DMG and LNN should proceed very smoothly now that I have these in my possession.” He said waving the diskettes. “You understand of course, this material must be examined by my own forensic accountants?”

Arianna stood and gracefully walked towards him. She reached up, loosened his burgundy silk tie and let her fingers sensuously caress his chest with easy, practiced motions. This time her smile was openly seductive she whispered. “The business half of my visit is complete. Perhaps we can… revisit old memories?”

He reached up and firmly, but gently removed her hands. Arianna’s scarlet lips parted to protest, but Daae cut her off. “You did say this visit was strictly of a business nature. Let us keep it that way. Besides, you do need to contact Mr. Templar and discuss the terms presented by the future owner of ZeroM Communications. Please inform him my team of accountants will be flying to Omaha, Nebraska to scrutinize his business and if there are any serious inconsistencies the deal is off.”

“Gregory, if you didn’t have his books looked over I would think you were going soft.”

He did not respond to her jab but said, “The hour is very late. I am tired and tired minds do not think well. Please, see yourself out. Good-night Mrs. Luthor,” he walked over to the couch and picked up her discarded items. “Don’t forget your shoes, bag and earring. Please leave the key here. Considering the very delicate game we are about to play, there will be no more ‘business visits’.”

Her facial expression was flush with embarrassment and suppressed rage; she reached into the satchel, pulled out the key and slapped it into his hand.

Moments later he was alone in the townhouse.

As Gregory prepared for bed, he thought about the false excuse he would bandy about town as to why he was here. He owned a magnificently restored townhouse, in a fashionable part of the city, but it was no secret Metropolis was not his favorite place in the world.

Metropolis Museum of History was in the process of creating an exhibit displaying different events of Napoleon Bonaparte’s life, he was an icon of sorts to Daae. While in school he had studied the late Emperor’s tactics and applied some of them in his own life. The results had in some cases been nothing short of spectacular.

Since he was on the board of directors and a major contributor to the museum’s coffers he was quite keen on seeing the exhibit for himself. He had every intention of attending the museum gala event before it was opened to the public. Professor Bertram Lang had helmed the project from the beginning; it was emerging from the planning stages into a physical reality. Perhaps today – tomorrow - he could stop by the good professor’s office and see how matters were progressing...

But before he did anything, he needed to have his assistant Mrs.
Aronnax contact a trusted locksmith to come by and alter all the locks to his townhouse.

“Gregory, it’s a pleasure to see you again.” Preston Carpenter said as he came around his desk to welcome his guest.

The tall man with the blue eyes looked down unemotionally at the publisher and pointedly did not take his hand. “I hope to be able to say the same. Were your resources able to fulfill my request?”

Preston looked at his hand hanging in mid-air and then put it in his pocket. “Huh, Gregory, I only got the call this morning. It takes time to dig up that kind of information, especially on LNN. Luthor’s people are pretty closed mouth.”

Gregory sat down in one of the overstuffed muddy brown leather chairs; he could immediately tell by the coarseness of the material and the slight squeak of the metal coils, the seat had been made of inferior substances. For someone of Preston’s wealth, such cheapness spoke volumes about the man’s personality. If he was willing to surround himself with shoddy furnishings despite the fact that he could well afford some comforts for his work environment, what else would he skimp on?

“Preston, we have an arrangement, when I come to Metropolis and take the time out of my demanding schedule to visit your ‘newspaper’ it is with the singular goal of acquiring information. Last night I received valuable information about LNN which needs verification. If The Metropolis Star’s researchers and journalists are not up to the task, I can take my business elsewhere - all of my business.”

The skin around Preston’s eyes narrowed with undisguised irritation, he swallowed and was about to speak, when there was a firm knock at the door. A second later a rather attractive redhead wearing a green business suit entered the room. Gregory Daae stood up from the squeaking chair and smiled.

“Ah, Press, I see Mr. Daae is here.” Linda King smiled prettily at Gregory.

“Good morning, Mademoiselle King, how pleasant to see you again.”
Linda extended her hand, “The pleasure is all mine Mr. Daae.”

He gazed into her blue eyes as he bent to kiss her hand and they exchanged a silent communication which Preston observed carefully. Linda tore her gaze away from Daae and looked at her employer and boyfriend. She spoke with the smooth cadence of a woman who knows she has succeeded in accomplishing a near impossible task.

“Preston,” she said, “Here are the materials you requested this morning.”

He accepted the manila folder from her and quickly scanned the papers within. After a moment he smiled in triumph, stood up and handed the file to Daae. “I believe this is all the backup material you requested.”

Daae sat down once more in the squeaky leather chair and began perusing the papers within the file. The reading took him longer than Preston expected, but when he was finished, the suggestion of a smile came to his thin lips. “It seems your lady is accomplished as more than just a columnist. My thanks and gratitude Mademoiselle King, I appreciate your providing this valuable information. It will make my meeting this afternoon with Mr. Luthor… enjoyable. May I ask how this was acquired?”

Linda looked at him, shrugged indifferently and said, “A confidential source within LNN who is well paid for their information.”

“Of course,” he said, “the reporter’s number one coin-in-trade, the protection of their resources. Now if you will please excuse us, I need to speak with Mr. Carpenter.”

She gazed at Preston who nodded his head and taking that as a dismissal departed the office.

“That is a very intelligent and extremely ambitious young woman. I could use someone like her on my staff. Keep supplying me with material like this and I won’t hire her away from The Metropolis Star. I will see you at the White Orchid Ball in six months time.”

Preston’s head shot up, last year he had been snubbed and was not invited, the pointed insult still rankled. “How do you know the Luthors will send me an invitation?”

“Preston you are dating a very influential and needless to say beautiful journalist. It stands to reason she will be invited. Go with her. It should be amusing to see all of Metropolis’ media leaders in one location. Thank you again for providing this information. Make sure Miss King is well rewarded. Good day.”

Five minutes after Daae departed, Linda returned, Preston could see she was visibly shaken.

“Every time that man smiles at me I want to take a bath from the inside out! Press, he scares me.”

The publisher sat upright in his chair and grimaced. “The feeling is mutual, but don’t let him know; right now the paper needs all the advertisers he brings in. By the way, thanks for getting that information on such short notice. He was pleased.”

“It wasn’t a pleasant task; I had to pay my best contact at LNN, Claude Debarre, over two grand to get this information on such short notice. He was a little too quick with gathering the information on his co-workers. I have the uncomfortable feeling he has a dossier on everyone of importance at the network. Was that the only thing you two discussed?”

“People like DeBarre are a necessary evil in our business. If he proves too greedy, remove him from your rolodex. He cannot say anything about your association without implicating himself.”

“Believe me I intend to.”

Preston made a grandiose show of opening a high gloss, dark wood finished humidor, with chrome plated hardware, removing a fat brown cigar and lighting it. Linda also made a show of being supremely patient, but inside she was screaming for him to answer. In regards to your question, no, that is not the only matter we talked about. Daae wants to hire you.”

“I’d rather go back to writing obituaries for the Miami Gazette before working for that arrogant former peasant.” There was heat and determination in her voice, with a touch of fear.

He looked up at her and answered. “I don’t want you to. For now, we stay firmly in the background and do whatever he says. Sooner or later he’s bound to slip up. When that great day takes place, my precious Linda, we are escaping his grasp.”

She came around the large wooden desk, took his hand and whispered,
“Oh God, I hope it’s soon.”

Gregory exited The Metropolis Star’s building, indeed in reality it was his own, especially since he quietly owned thirty percent of the newspaper and held the proxy for another thirty percent. But it entertained him to have Preston think the paper belonged to him. Arianna would probably have been surprised to know that.

The file Preston or rather Linda King had provided served as back-up for the personnel information Arianna had given him last night. He could now proceed into his meeting with Lex Luthor even more confident he would come out the winner.

Thus far, his trip to Metropolis was proving to be very successful …

Last edited by Morgana; 08/14/16 07:45 PM. Reason: Additional comments

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.