Next Thread
Print Thread
#271311 08/13/16 06:05 AM
Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Greetings!

It's been a real scorcher for the past few weeks. I was in the supermarket and purchased a watermelon to share with my family. Memories of summers past filled my mind. As children we used to eat chilled watermelon on the back porch on warm summer evenings. It was fun, relaxing and afterwards we would jump in the sprinklers. What a great way to cool off!

Anyhow, I got to wondering how the Kents might spend a summer evening on the porch ...

As always comments are welcomed. wave

Last edited by Morgana; 08/13/16 06:06 AM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Nice story! I always love it when Martha gets involved in Clark's love life, when Jonathan gets involved it gets even better. I would have never thought about an Ice Cream Social but Lois did enjoy the Corn Festival once she got into it in GGGOH so why not an Ice Cream Social especially with the heat and all.

As usual the extreme detail you put into the story just grabs you and puts you right there with them.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
MikeM

Nice story! I always love it when Martha gets involved in Clark's love life, when Jonathan gets involved it gets even better. I would have never thought about an Ice Cream Social but Lois did enjoy the Corn Festival once she got into it in GGGOH so why not an Ice Cream Social especially with the heat and all.

As usual the extreme detail you put into the story just grabs you and puts you right there with them.

Hello Mike!

When Martha gets involved with Clark's love life it can have some pretty funny results. One of my favorite stories is Date By Arrangement by Wendy Richards. Imagine Lois teaching Clark how to dress to impress! If you haven't already read it, please do so. One of Ms. Richards best!

The goal was to give us a glimpse of Martha and Jonathan's lives both past and present without going into a lot of detail. I always wanted to know why Jonathan was rude to Martha's mother and where she got her education. Perhaps this short story explains these matters just a little.

Doing the research on this story I discovered that Ice Cream Socials are still popular and there are a variety of ways to throw such a party. Hmmm, the temperature isn't abating here and we have nothing planned for the weekend ....

Last edited by Morgana; 12/03/16 11:31 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Awww--this was really, really great clap clap clap!

I loved the feel of the piece. So nice, relaxed. A quiet, wonderful night at home. The dialogue between everyone was really spot on, too, by the way.

I've got to agree...I've always also really enjoyed when Martha (and even Jonathan) get involved with Clark's love life smile. And I think they are on the right track--by setting up a situation where it's away from work, work friends...by having a get-together where Lois only knows Clark, where she's not in a work environment, and where other couples are around, would be great for their friendship. Oh--and Jonathan is onto something, too. If Clark is worried about Lois getting closer to Superman, he really does need to put some distance between them. It makes a lot of sense, and is a lot less confusing (for both of them).

Great job!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 08/26/16 04:34 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
LMA

And I think they are on the right track--by setting up a situation where it's away from work, work friends...by having a get-together where Lois only knows Clark, where she's not in a work environment, and where other couples are around, would be great for their friendship. Oh--and Jonathan is onto something, too. If Clark is worried about Lois getting closer to Superman, he really does need to put some distance between them. It makes a lot of sense, and is a lot less confusing (for both of them).

Thank you! Your comments mean a lot! thumbsup

Yes. Having a party without work friends along is a great way to widen out and meet new people. There will be no pressure on Lois or Clark.

I always thought it was actually mean of Clark to visit Lois as the Man of Steel. No wonder she was mad at him when she finally found out!

Morgana

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've been absent (real life getting in the way), sad but I'm back to comment in this wonderful story. blush

As Mike said it, the details pull you into the story. You feel as if you were there with them. Imagining the watermelon... I want to be there! drool

I understand Jonathan enjoying the view of the sky. I love looking at the stars! I'm always showing my daughter the planets that are visible. It's so beautiful!

The backstory about Martha makes sense. She always seemed more educated and refined than Jonathan. She never resembled a farmer's daughter. They were very different, but they completed each other, and it was what made their marriage so strong. love

But Metropolis is like no place else. The rhythm of the city’s streets just hum with life and the pace suits me. I can see myself living there for quite awhile. It is home.”

An impish grin tugged at his mother’s lips when she asked. “How is Lois?”

Wise Martha. She always reads between the lines. wink

“Now, Clark, I don’t want to be a nosy parker, but may I make a suggestion … or two?”

The young man shrugged his shoulders and said, “Sure Dad.”

It's a good thing that Clark listen to his parents. They always have good advice. Jonathan is very right about Clark needing to distance Superman from Lois. If Clark had done it since the beginning he could have avoided a lot of trouble. And the ice cream idea is perfect! Who doesn't love ice cream? hyper

you introduced us that couple who just moved to Metropolis from North Dakota, Victor and Alma Sandusky.

Are they someone that I should recognize? confused

“With the way our boy is talking make sure it’s a King size, not a Queen.”
Hehe... smart Jonathan! whistle grin

Thanks for this delightful story!

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Top Banana
Top Banana
I like this story. You describe things so well that I can almost feel the warmth of a summer night, smell the citronella candles, and taste the watermelon and iced tea.

I like the ice cream social idea, too ... I don't think I've seen that scenario before, but it works as a way for Lois and Clark to get together without the awkwardness of dating.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Morgana!

This is set during the first season six months after Clark arrived in Metropolis, which considering the clothes Clark wore might have been late winter or early spring.
During Super Mann, the date was given as May smile

One hour after sunset, all three planets would reach their peak performance in the sky and start to set. Fortunately for them the lengthening nights helped slow their departure somewhat.
/heads off googling the night sky/

The ugly words had stung his pride and so he reacted in an uncharacteristic manner; he told the inflexible woman to stuff it.
So, Clark gets his diplomatic skills from his mother’s side?

“Yeah, but does your apartment get decent air-conditioning? That landlord was more interested in making a fast buck than seeing to your comfort. How you and Pete live in the big city is beyond me.” Jonathan shook his head in disgust.
Oh, Clark’s living with Pete?
LOIS: Why I get along with Clark so much. He’s buff enough to ward off the crazies but he still prefers guys so he’s perfectly safe to hang out with smile1

“No, Lois is not about destroying me or us as a family. She will realize that as soon as I tell her. In my heart that keeping this secret from her is wrong. Superman has been around for five months. The longer I wait to tell her, the madder she’ll be when I do.”
LOIS: So…you’re Superman? [Linked Image] And you are in love with me? [Linked Image] Superman is in love with me? [Linked Image]
CLARK: [Linked Image]

How about granting in-depth interviews to other newspapers such as the Washington Post or New York Times or our own Kansas City Star? She, and by extension the Daily Planet, will be less of a target for crooks.”
Yeah, that should go over well with Lois. Maybe he could also try to talk with the prettiest reporter for each of those papers?

“Martha, didn’t you mention something about knitting a new blanket for Clark’s bed?”

“Yes, the last one I made when was in college. Why?”

“With the way our boy is talking make sure it’s a King size, not a Queen.”
rotflol

“I wonder how they will behave towards each other after the party? Do you think they will share their first real kiss that evening?”
Yes…maybe they could even invite this nice perfumer? Miranda, isn’t it?

It’s a cute one!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Ultra Woman

Hooray! Andreia is back for a visit! party

I understand Jonathan enjoying the view of the sky. I love looking at the stars! I'm always showing my daughter the planets that are visible. It's so beautiful!

The skies at night in Kansas most be beautiful no pollution to disturb the 'seeing'. When my nieces were small they loved to look at the stars as well. Lovely to share that hobby with your daughter.

The backstory about Martha makes sense. She always seemed more educated and refined than Jonathan. She never resembled a farmer's daughter. They were very different, but they completed each other, and it was what made their marriage so strong. love

We know so little about Clark's adoptive parents! This story allows us to focus on their history in a very small way. When Martha worked for a company while Jonathan was ill, she went to work and shortly had two assistants working for her! That did not happen by accident. So I thought adding a line or two about her education might explain a little about that. grin

Quote:
you introduced us that couple who just moved to Metropolis from North Dakota, Victor and Alma Sandusky.

Are they someone that I should recognize? confused

Quote:

No, the Sanduskys are not people anyone should recognize, they are for this story only. But, hey you never know!

Morgana

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
AnnieB

I like this story. You describe things so well that I can almost feel the warmth of a summer night, smell the citronella candles, and taste the watermelon and iced tea.

I like the ice cream social idea, too ... I don't think I've seen that scenario before, but it works as a way for Lois and Clark to get together without the awkwardness of dating.

A lot of this story is based on my own memories and family history. Before my childhood home was air conditioned, it was quite normal for us to sit on the front porch and enjoy the evening breezes. With either watermelon, ice cream, lemonade and iced tea to keep us cool when there was no breeze.

It was common for my Grandmother to make ice cream on Saturday night and the neighbors would come over to visit and chat. So that's where this lovely story comes from. Thanks so much for the kind words. smile1

Morgana

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Darth Michael

So, Clark gets his diplomatic skills from his mother’s side?

Of course he gets those skills from Martha, but on the other hand, Jonathan doesn't talk unless he has something important to say. A lot of times those words are rather powerful.

Quote:
How about granting in-depth interviews to other newspapers such as the Washington Post or New York Times or our own Kansas City Star? She, and by extension the Daily Planet, will be less of a target for crooks.”
Yeah, that should go over well with Lois. Maybe he could also try to talk with the prettiest reporter for each of those papers?

Nyahh! Clark would be diplomatic and talk with the most experienced reporter. Besides he is doing this for Lois'own protection!

Thanks for the comment! smile1

Morgana

Features Writer
Features Writer
A sweet, calming story. You always do such a good job of pulling out the small things that make the story feel more grounded while also highlighting Superman's powers -- I love the touch about him getting queasy when he smells a certain scent due to him having a terrible moment while still adjusting to his improved senses, as well as the basket Martha uses for her projects having come from Peru.

Clark's relationship with his parents is one of the first things about the show that drew me in and made me love him, so I love that you highlighted just how much he relies on them and comes to see them.

Great characterization here!

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Anti-Kryptonite

A sweet, calming story. You always do such a good job of pulling out the small things that make the story feel more grounded while also highlighting Superman's powers -- I love the touch about him getting queasy when he smells a certain scent due to him having a terrible moment while still adjusting to his improved senses, as well as the basket Martha uses for her projects having come from Peru.

Clark's relationship with his parents is one of the first things about the show that drew me in and made me love him, so I love that you highlighted just how much he relies on them and comes to see them.

Great characterization here!

Anti-K! clap It has been so long since you commented on a story of mine. Opening the boards and seeing your name next to feedback on Summer was a special treat!

Small touches to a story really help to create and set the environment our heroes live in. Summers on any farm must be filled with days of plenty of hard work as well as being fun and relaxing. So what better way for the Kent clan to enjoy the quiet of an evening than on the front porch watching the stars and eating some cool dessert?

I can just imaging how difficult it must have been growing up with super senses and learning to control them. Having the ability to smell all kinds of things could not have been easy on Clark.

Of course Martha's basket came from Peru, during his world tramping days, her son probably picked up a number of useful items.

Deborah Joy Levine said she wanted his parents around in order for him to have stability, it made him more of a whole person and not someone who was alone in the world. Besides can you imagine Clark being raised by anyone else?

Morgana

Features Writer
Features Writer
What a lovely story! I love the detail about Martha's knitting basket coming from Peru.[Linked Image]

And your story is timely after we had the longest and hottest summer on record this year.

While I grew up without ice cream socials, we did make homemade ice cream in the summer. Your story was wonderful and brought back fond memories of my dad sharing stories of cranking ice cream by hand. He had 6 brothers, and they'd start with the youngest. As the ice cream crank got harder to turn, they'd gradually move up to the strongest one. I imagine if the Kents did that, by junior high it would have been Clark who finished the cranking. Of course, that's assuming no one else was visiting at the time! laugh

Thanks for sharing this delightful story!

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Cuidadora

What a lovely story! I love the detail about Martha's knitting basket coming from Peru.

Ooh! So many PM's and comments about Martha's knitting basket! What can I say, Clark is a good son who knows what his Mom likes.

And your story is timely after we had the longest and hottest summer on record this year.

Yup, it was crazy hot this year!

While I grew up without ice cream socials, we did make homemade ice cream in the summer. Your story was wonderful and brought back fond memories of my dad sharing stories of cranking ice cream by hand. He had 6 brothers, and they'd start with the youngest. As the ice cream crank got harder to turn, they'd gradually move up to the strongest one. I imagine if the Kents did that, by junior high it would have been Clark who finished the cranking. Of course, that's assuming no one else was visiting at the time!

Sounds like your family really appreciated the fun of making ice cream! Imagine getting all the brothers to crank the machine in order of birth! At the Kent household they just had to ask Clark to do it. A better, and more fun, job than taking out the garbage. Thank you for sharing your family's summer memories! That's what this little story was all about returning to a quiet time when fireflies flickered gently over the front lawn. smile1

Morgana

Morgana Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Greetings one and all!

This story will be continued next year. It will be entitled: Autumn.

Morgana

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard