Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#271137 07/31/16 10:55 PM
CLeuch Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
I don't know how many people around these parts pay much attention to the comics, but something interesting is going on there. Lois and Clark got married in the comics around the same time they did on the show, then they had around 20 years of childless adventures until DC pushed the reset button on their entire continuity with the New 52 (I think in 2011). BUT they didn't throw out everything, and about a year ago they revealed that the pre-reset Lois and Clark showed up in the New 52 universe...with their son, Jonathan. There are at least 2 currently ongoing story arcs dealing with Lois and Clark and Jon - Clark showing his son how to use his powers, teaching him lessons on responsibility and morality. It got me thinking - these stories aren't exactly new to those of us who have been around FoLC-dom for a while. There are some excellent stories out there that go down similar paths (though they all take place in the same universe where LnC met and fell in love, as far as I'm aware). So without further ado, I thought I'd set up a thread to make recommendations on next gen fanfic for those of us who can't get enough of those stories.

My recommendations:

- My stuff, of course. The first post of my most recent chapter has links to old stories, to get you started. Link is here

- Hearts and Diamonds, by Shayne Terry. A darker fic but very good (and it has a very sweet ending).

- Navigating Denial by Zoomway

- Nan Smith's Dagger series. See the series guide here

- Irene Dutch's series. Start with Firestorm , then Starfire and Sunstorm , There are a few more after this - check them out at the archive.

Those are my favorites - anyone else have recommendations?

"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."
CLeuch #271143 08/01/16 08:07 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I loved Susan Stone's Aliens And Strangers and its sequel Laney and the Giant Killers. Both on the Archive. Sorry, no links as my iPad won't bring up the code option to do those. :P

Sure there are more. If my memory kicks in, I'll add them.

Oh, and Next Generation is a search option in the Archive Database. (Click on the link from the options list on the left hand side of the Archive homepage). So if you do a global search for it you should come up with more.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
CLeuch #271144 08/01/16 09:38 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hello.

Never been a fan of next gen stories, but I might check these out. Thanks for the links!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
CLeuch #271145 08/01/16 09:43 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Nan Smith's Home Series could probably be considered a Next Generation series also in addition to her Dagger series. In Home, Clark remarries a few decades after Lois' death at (IIRC) 108. He is surrounded by all of his and Lois' children, grand-children, and great-grand-children. Some have powers, some do not I guess due to which genetic markers were dominant in the offspring.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

CLeuch #271147 08/01/16 10:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I had forgotten about Jenni Debbage Kent Family Series. She also wrote the excellent Universal Union series.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard