True to his word, Clark was ready to depart by dawn the next morning. It was overcast and cold, with a stiff breeze blowing, but Clark didn't think it would snow. At least, he hoped it wouldn't. He wanted to get this trip over and done with as soon as possible. Lord Lane met him in the stable as promised.

Lois didn't see him off. He'd told her of his plans the night before, when she'd come to his room for their nightly reading lesson. She'd immediately expressed an interest in seeing him off, but he had begged her not to. What was the point in dragging her out of bed so early in the morning, just to watch as he mounted up on Merlin and rode out into the countryside? Reluctantly, she'd agreed, though Clark had secretly wondered if she just might come out to the stable anyway, despite his wishes. He was glad to see that she'd respected his request.

They'd managed to finish King Arthur that night and Lois had promised to pick out something new and different when he returned. Lois had thought that perhaps Clark might enjoy a book about the ancient gods worshipped by the Romans and Greeks. He had agreed that it could be interesting. He'd also wound up telling Lois about his conversation with her father. She was less than thrilled to find out that Samuel knew of her love for Clark, but she seemed relieved at the same time, knowing that Samuel wasn't going to punish Clark for their shared feelings. Some lords, she had said, would kill or sell a servant who dared to fall in love with one of their family members.

Clark's mind and heart stayed with Lois the entire time he and Merlin led the other horses to Lord Luthor's manor. It was slower going than he would have liked, but all things considered, the journey went smoothly. He reached Luthor Manor without incident, stopping a couple of times to eat or to let the horses drink from frigid little streams that they came across. It helped that the horses now responded to Clark's language of whistles. He had but to whistle and they did exactly what he wanted. He stopped just before Luthor's home and took a deep, steadying breath.

"Ready for this, Merlin?" he asked, his breath white in the cold air. Merlin snorted. "Me neither, buddy," Clark replied. "Let's get this over with, shall we?"

He urged the horse forward, with Apollo and Maximus trailing behind. Two guards opened the gates as he approached. He identified himself and his reason for visiting and was permitted entrance to the manor. He immediately brought the horses to the stable, where a skinny, freckle-faced young man greeted him.

"Hello!" the man said pleasantly. "I'm Jude, the stable master."

Clark inclined his head in respect. "My name is Clark. I am the stable master of Lord and Lady Lane."

"Nice to meet you," Jude said. "What can I do for you today?"

"Lord Lane sends these two horses as gifts to your master," Clark said, nodding in the direction of Apollo and Maximus. "The golden one is Apollo. The black and silver is Maximus."

"Apollo? Lord Luthor will like that," Jude replied with a smile. "Almost all of his animals bear the name of some ancient god or another." He pointed down the row of stalls. "Zeus, Athena, Osiris, Horus, Odin, Loki, Ares, Pluto, Juno...well, you get the point."

Clark vaguely recognized some of the names. But it made sense to him on a very visceral level that Lord Luthor and his extraordinary ego would name his animals after some of the most powerful beings that human minds had ever conjured up. He wondered briefly if Luthor considered himself to be a god.

"What's that one's name?" he asked, pointing to a silver colored mare. His mind was telling him not to demonstrate his ability to read, though each stall bore the name of the animal within in gold.

"Oh, the silver? That's Freya. She's one of our newest horses," Jude said dismissively. It was clear he wasn't all that interested in making small talk about the horses' names.

"She's beautiful," Clark complimented.

She's mine, he thought to himself. That's Aurora, I'm sure of it.

He craned his neck a little, searching for the brand on her hindquarters. He tried to keep the motion looking natural. The horse shifted just a little as he pretended to admire her. There it was! The shooting star of his family.

What are you up to, Luthor? Clark asked himself as he wandered away from the stall, sudden fear drenching him. That's two of my horses that you have. How many more?

"Would you mind if I looked at the rest of the horses?" he asked Jude, working hard to keep his voice steady. "Breeding is one of my interests, and these are some fine animals."

"Sure, sure," Jude replied, waving Clark off as he went to fill some water troughs.

Clark took a quick, but thorough look around as he gave Jude a quick rundown of the whistled commands that the he'd taught the horses. As he looked around, Clark found two more of his horses - a coal black stallion named Ronin and a light brown mare named Butterscotch. Both of them bore his family's mark on their flanks. Clark felt more and more uneasy as the minutes passed. He saw to Merlin, making sure that the horse was well taken care of, as well as the two animals he'd been told to bring to Luthor Manor.

"It's cold out today. If you'd like, I'm sure the kitchen would get you something hot to eat," Jude offered as he approached Clark, wiping his hands on an old rag.

Despite his aversion to Luthor Manor, something in Clark told him to stay. He nodded.

"That would be great," he said.

"Come on. I'll take you there. I was just about to get something to eat myself."

"Thank you," Clark replied. His stomach rumbled as if to prove that he was solely interested in the food, and not the reason why his stolen horses were the property of Lord Luthor now.

"Right this way," Jude said.

They made idle talk about the animals as they walked. Clark feigned interest in Luthor's quest to find only the best horses available. Although, he had to admit to himself, it did feel good, knowing that Luthor thought of his horses as some of the best, no matter how he came into possession of them. He even had to force down a satisfied smirk at the thought.

"August? Fix our visitor up with some food and drink, please," Jude said as they walked into the kitchen. "He's just brought the master two fine horses to add to his collection."

"Aye," the one-eyed chef replied.

"I must return to my duties," Jude told Clark as he grabbed one of the meals the cook had set aside, apparently for the servants to grab on the run. "Rest assured your horse will be ready for you when you return."

"I appreciate that," Clark said with a nod. "I won't be long. I have to get back to my own master."

"Until later then."

Jude turned on his heel and walked off. With a series of grunts and half-formed sounds, August heated up some chicken and vegetable soup for Clark and gave him a small loaf of warm, flaky breath. A draught of cold water washed everything down. Clark was surprised at the meager meal. He was, of course, grateful for any offer of food, but perhaps he was getting too used to life under Lord Lane's rule. At Lane Manor, Francois would have made sure that the meal included butter for the bread, some cheese, perhaps a piece of fruit, and as many helpings as a person required to fill their bellies. Good conversation would have been provided as well, but Luthor's chef was a man of few words it seemed, and he barely spared any for Clark.

Clark ate in silence, preferring to spend the time with his own thoughts. Everything kept spiraling back to his horses out in Luthor's stable. But no matter how hard he thought about it, no matter what angle he tried to see, nothing made any sense to him. Still, he would report this new, disturbing development to Samuel when he returned. Surely Lord Lane would know what to do with the information, or so Clark hoped. Finishing his meal, Clark thanked the cook, who acknowledged him with a guttural grunt.

Clark made his way back to the stables, eager to be on his way. He felt grimy and greasy for having even stepped on the grounds of Luthor Manor, let alone for having partaken of food on the premises. He wanted nothing more than to be back at Lane Manor, to have a hot bath, and to pass the evening with whatever book Lois had chosen for him to learn from next. With a quickened step, he hurried back to Merlin, thinking of how much faster he would travel, now that he wasn't leading other horses.

When he got to the stable, he could hear voices coming from beyond the door, which was slightly ajar. Neither of the voices belonged to Jude, and Clark immediately felt like an intruder. Still, he felt something compelling him to stay.

"You are late," said a snooty male voice.

"I came as fast as I could," replied the other, younger voice.

"What message do you bring?" the first man asked, getting straight to the point.

"Lord Tempos would like..."

Lord Tempos?! Clark thought, momentarily losing the thread of conversation. What does Lord Tempos have to do with Luthor?

"...the horses are acceptable?" the messenger was asking when Clark pulled himself out of his thoughts.

"Very," the snooty voice said. Clark thought hard about the voice, knowing he'd heard it once before.

"My master will be glad to hear it."

"Lord Luthor has a message for your master," the first voice said again.

Nigel! Clark had only met the man once, when he'd been dragged to Luthor Manor as a terrified prisoner, but he could never forget Luthor's right hand man.

Clark peeked through the open crack of the door, just in time to see Nigel hand a sealed letter to Lord Tempos' young messenger. The man slipped it into his saddle bag and patted it for good measure, as if to prove that it was safe and secure. Nigel nodded and Clark pulled back from the door, just in case they happened to look his way.

"Make sure that gets to Lord Tempos with all haste," Nigel instructed.

"You can trust me," said the other.

"Good. Lord Luthor is away at the moment, but he expects an answer by the time he returns. He will send a messenger for your lord's response, so tell your master to be prepared."

"Understood."

"Good. Now then, August will see to giving you a meal, and then I expect you to be on your way."

Clark's heart skipped a beat as he turned, frantically looking for a hiding place. He made do with ducking behind a thick, tall, evergreen bush, and not a moment too soon. Both men exited the stable together, though they both took to going in different directions once outside. It was only through pure luck that neither of them turned in Clark's direction. Still, Clark's blood ran cold with the fear of discovery until they were both well out of sight. Then he grew confident enough to release the breath he'd been holding and to leave the facade of safety that the bushes had provided. He went into the stable and checked on Merlin. The horse was still there, looking rested and ready to be on his way.

"Are you as eager to get back home as I am?" he asked Merlin, giving the animal a pat on his neck. "Me too, buddy. Me too," he said as the horse made a low whinny and nuzzled Clark's chest. "Now, where's your saddle?"

He looked around and spotted it hanging up near the back of the stable. He gave Merlin one more pat and then went to retrieve the saddle. But as he got near the place where it was, something on the floor caught his eye. Clark bent to retrieve it. The message for Lord Tempos! The messenger must have had a tear in his bag and it had slipped out, unnoticed as they'd exited the stable. Clark straightened up, the note in his hand. He felt torn as to what to do. If he was caught with the note, he would be punished, possibly killed. But if he knew what it said, he could report back to Lord Lane, and possibly do something to uncover the mysterious relationship between Luthor and Tempos. He could possibly find a way to stop the raids and give Lois a reason to break off the engagement.

Making a sudden decision, he broke the wax seal. He read as fast as he could, more grateful now for Lois' reading lessons than ever before. But his hands shook in nervousness and his heart was pounding, making it hard to read. His stomach felt queasy and heavy, and despite the cold weather, beads of sweat popped up on his brow.

He felt worse as soon as he began reading.

"Come on, Merlin, we need to go," Clark said, stuffing the letter into his pocket.

He did it not a moment too soon. As he began lifting the saddle from its hook, Jude the stable master returned. Clark heard him coming as the doors creaked ever so slightly. He forced himself to act natural. Getting the letter to Lois' family was everything.

"Leaving so soon?" Jude asked, seeing Clark with Merlin's saddle.

"Unfortunately, yes. You know how it is, having all of the responsibilities of the stable waiting for you," Clark replied, pleased at how normal he sounded.

Jude nodded thoughtfully. "I do, only all too well. But, it's rewarding work, isn't it?"

"Absolutely," Clark replied, walking by the stable master. "I've always loved horses, for as long as I can remember. I love the bond I have with them. Especially with Merlin here. He was the first horse I ever truly raised on my own."

Jude nodded again. "Oh, I understand that. I have the same thing with Odin over there. I saw him being born and raised him myself when his mother died."

Clark put the saddle on Merlin's back. "They are incredible creatures, huh?"

"Absolutely." Jude looked around for a moment. "Is there anything else I can assist you with?"

Clark shook his head. "No, thanks. I was just sent to make sure the horses got here. I wasn't told to...pick up anything in return, or anything like that."

"Did August give you enough to eat? He can sometimes be a little...stingy with the servants and low-ranking visitors."

"Yes, thank you," Clark said, mildly impressed that the man seemed less than starry-eyed with life in Luthor Manor, a place so opulent it made Lane Manor look like a beggar's shack.

"Well, that's good," Jude said, more to himself, it seemed, than to Clark.

"Look, Jude, thank you for looking after Merlin. But we really do need to get on our way. I'm not liking the look of the sky. I think we'll get rain before night. I'd like to get as close to home as I can before that happens." He began to lead Merlin out of the stall.

"I was just saying the same thing to my wife," Jude said. "I think you're right. Rain is on the way. Godspeed on your journey."

"Thanks," Clark said, mounting up. "Merlin, lets go home."

Clark forced himself to maintain a nonchalant posture and speed until he was sure he was out of sight of anyone at Luthor Manor. Then he goaded Merlin into a run. The flew over the land at a ground-eating pace. Neither man nor beast was in control over their direction or speed. They simply tore over the countryside, enjoying the feel of the cold air rushing at them and the pretense of true freedom.

They made good time, but not good enough. The storm broke, fast and furious just as the last rays of sunlight would have been fading from the sky, had the cloud coverage not been so dark and thick. The freezing drops of water forced Clark to seek shelter in the inn located in the town where he and his family had always sold their crops. It was a bittersweet moment for him. For the first time in his life, he had money to spend on a night at the inn and on a full, hot meal. For the first time, he would be leaving the town and not returning to his farm and his parents.

Not many people were in the inn when he arrived, which suited him just fine. He wasn't in the mood to pass the time with meaningless chatter. There were too many thoughts in his head. He brought Merlin to the stable and tipped the stable boy well, knowing that the money would ensure that Merlin was well taken care of. He promised the animal that they would be leaving first thing in the morning. Then he went inside and secured a room for the night. His stomach was growling, but he forced himself to go to the room first and change into a spare, dry set of clothing that he'd carried in his saddle bag. Feeling better, he went back downstairs to the dining room.

Roasted venison with small red potatoes, with diced carrots and peas was the night's fare. The innkeeper also brought him a loaf of crunchy, hot bread, straight from the oven with butter and a mug of steaming tea. Ale had been offered, but Clark neither liked the taste nor the effect it had on his mind. And right now, clarity of mind was of the utmost importance. When the food was placed before him, steam curling lazily in the air, Clark began to eat with gusto. His appetite should have been diminished, given the information he'd found in the letter he'd taken, but the meager lunch he'd been supplied with hadn't really been enough to carry him through the day.

The food was good, Clark found to his delight. The venison was perfectly seasoned, even a little on the spicy side. He normally didn't like spicy food, but it somehow worked well on the meat, even whetting his appetite further. The vegetables were perfectly cooked - neither too raw nor too mushy - and simply seasoned with a little salt and pepper. The bread, though crunchy on the outside, practically melted in his mouth. All in all, he couldn't have wished for a more filling or more satisfying meal. He left the dining room with a full stomach and a warm feeling radiating through his body from the hot food and the cozy fire he'd sat beside.

On a normal night, he would have felt inspired to work on his reading or his carvings. Or he would have climbed into bed and fallen into a deep, refreshing sleep. But not tonight. Clark locked the door as soon as he was back in his room. For a while, he paced, restless and wishing he could ride through the night to get back to Lane Manor. But the incessant drumming of the torrential rain on the roof of the inn mocked his agitation and kept him bound to the inn. As he paced, he kept looking back at the bed, where he'd hidden the letter beneath the mattress when he'd changed out of his wet clothing. Finally, he gave in and retrieved it.

He sat on the bed and opened the letter carefully. Really taking his time, now that he was safe and not in danger of being discovered, he read the contents of the message again. He read it not once, but three times, still in disbelief. It was clear as day. Lord Luthor and Lord Tempos were in a twisted alliance with one another. Tempos' men raided and looted at will. And Luthor not only encouraged it, he was actually aiding the other lord, in exchange for a cut of the profits.

Which means, even if Lois marries Luthor, the attacks will never stop. Luthor will ensure that Lord Lane's men are defeated out in the field if it comes to battle. And if that happens, who is to stop Luthor from taking over Lord Lane's lands, under the guise of protection? he thought to himself.

"Profit can't be the only reason those two are allied," he whispered to himself, staring at the letter without really seeing it. "There's a bigger picture I'm not seeing here."

He put the letter away again, for safe-keeping, then crawled beneath the thin, but adequate blankets. For a long time, he lay awake in the dark, trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

To Be Continued...

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon