Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#271070 07/25/16 06:58 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
We are getting to the lowest point -- don't give up yet! Brighter things are coming! Hope you all enjoy!

Kerth
Kerth
Oh, my heart is breaking for both of them! I'm holding out hope that Lois can't go through with hurting Clark and will be honest about the mystery source so they can work through the situation together. If Lois is getting these migraines, if the secret she's holding onto is hurting her, maybe she'll think the pain is a sign that she's doing something wrong. On the other hand, she's so sure of her source, so trusting of it, that is seems difficult to believe she'll go against his wishes. Such a quandary! Waiting for the next part. smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Be still my breaking heart! And yet, for all the emotional hell you are putting L&C through (and us, I might add!!!), this was a beautiful chapter. I love Clark using his powers to help Lois feel better. I haven't often seen that - where he's tending to a sick Lois and using his powers to alleviate her pain.

Interesting thoughts are swirling around in my head over Lois' migraines. It reminds me A LOT of the thing Leslie Luckabee was doing to her, and they way he gave her pain to make her do things she didn't want to - like telling Clark she wanted a divorce. Could it be that mystery villain is doing something similar? Could she have resolved to tell Clark the truth about what's going on, and they found out and caused her migraine?

As usual, you have a TON of gorgeous phrases and imagery going on in this chapter. I'd quote them all, but that would take too long (plus, I had to read this in sections over the course of the day - no more naps in this house to give Mommy some reading time!).

I'm glad to see Clark finally realizing that something isn't quite right. I just hope he knows that something is ACTUALLY wrong, and it's not Lois getting cold feet on him. And when he DOES find out that someone is using Lois, I'm both fearful of and excited for his righteous anger over it.

Holding my breath for the next part.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
While cruel, Lois is teaching Clark a valuable lesson that if their relationship (and Lois's health) survive this insurmountable test, could make it stronger in the long run. It'll be good for Clark (eventually) to know how it feels (from Lois's POV) when he leaves for a weak reason, or is constantly late, etc. I could see it make him more forthcoming with her.

Clark's tardiness made Lois head into one of her addictive future dreams. The migraines will continue to get worse as long as Lois continues to live in the future and not in the present. I fear what will happen to Lois's memories once she's changed the future and they are no longer available to her. Will she slip into the bottle as her mother did?

Interesting hypothesis Clark has created on why Lois decided to date him and now has started to slip away. I wonder if Lois deliberately did this (started slipping away once the Daily Planet was resurrected). Perhaps it is best that Lois and Clark didn't start dating when Lois was at the bottom of her Luthor black hole.

I'm glad they were able to have that moment where they could be honest with each other. Hopefully, it will give Clark the strength to make it through Lois's test. How much of Clark's reassurances did Lois hear and remember though? Oh, this is so painful, Lois's indifference to Clark's feelings, I just want it to be over and them to be on the road to recovery.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
The reward for finishing up cleaning the house tonight? Chapter 9 smile. Woo-hoo! hyper

I really enjoyed the intimacy of this chapter--even for all the confusion and misguided everything going on between them. As a reader, it was really nice to see Lois and Clark connect...even in the midst of Lois medicated/sick and Clark in ever-growing concern. They needed that, and IMO, it showed a lot of truth to what they really are (despite how crazy of a situation they are in).

"I wish this was real,” she finally murmurs, and Clark shivers when her lips ghost against the skin under his jaw. “I wish…I wish you could really be mine.”

Wow...powerful. And so honest. If only Clark knew the true context. But I love that it shows where Lois is--that she's not just play-acting. That it isn't just make believe. She fell for Clark, she has feelings for him. She wants them to be together.

So, bottom line, we have two people that really want a relationship. That care about each other. Very positive dance clap love. Now...to just figure out how exactly that can happen.

Thinking now, it HAS to be through Lois. I don't think that Clark can even begin to decipher all of what is happening--to him everything is veiled in a relationship context. No time travel, no plot to save Utopia. Why would he suspect any of the sort? Lois seems to be unraveling...she's not handling things and getting more desperate as the ties seem closer to being cut with Clark. I'm hoping sheer desperation pushes her to finally open up to Clark? She loves him, knows accutely how much she needs him, and maybe will be forced into some sort of reality check as things get worse?

I can't wait to find out out! Awesome! notworthy

Laura (who is very determined for this Lois and Clark to live happily ever after grovel )

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Blogger
Blogger
This isn't nearly as bad as I worried it would be!

You're on fire with Clark. I love his thought processes--he knows people have other priorities, and that they're busy, and that Lois is probably overexcited about getting the Planet back. But he also has his reservations; he knows Lois, and he knows the circumstances she came to him under. I like that he gets frustrated with himself and with the situation as a whole. Clark is really holding his own here, which makes him seem like less of a victim. He feels important, like he's going to have a very active part in all of this. 

You’re so good, Clark, and I can’t get in the way of that.

When you’re already dreading a situation like this, everything good and vulnerable is going to pop out of the other person. It’d be hard to do this to anyone, let alone Clark.

I just needed something good, so I… It doesn’t matter, obviously it was a bad idea.

Poor Lois! Her pain makes me cringe. I was a fairly severe migraine sufferer as a little kid, so I can sympathize. Though if Clark will do anything to relieve Lois of her pain, maybe this is a good thing. The more pain Lois has, the more Clark searches for the source of it; the more he finds out, the closer we are to getting out of this mess. 

Was she letting the memories in because she was about to send the final blow, or was she just needing the comfort before she told him the truth? She probably should have just told him whatever it was anyway, but looks like she got too sick too quickly for that. I can't really pin blame on someone who's out of it almost as soon as Clark steps in the door. 

Is Lois keeping things slow because her source wants her to, or because she's dreading giving Clark up?

His dad had told him and his mom once that when the migraine is at its worst, it makes him careless of anything but the pain, heedless of anything but the nausea (makes him say and think things he might not any time else).

I'm glad Lois is letting some things slip. Hopefully Clark will realize that here, with Lois so vulnerable, there are truths. 

Truthfully, Lois, you make me so much better. It’s hard to know what to do, sometimes, but you have such a clear-eyed way of looking at the world, that it makes things so much clearer for me. I know you think you’re cynical and jaded, but I think you’re idealistic--I think you believe in the best of things--and that makes me want to live up to those ideals.

I know Lois is nearly unconscious, but please, please let her remember that. Let her realize that she's doing exactly the wrong thing.

Lois has this compulsive need to make everything work. To get every story. To help everyone. If her source was merely asking to give up her own future, she would be able to struggle through it just as much as she and Clark do in the NK arc. This time, it's different because Clark can’t know what’s going on. Because she has to make sure he hurts. And since she loves him, that task becomes even more difficult. 
In that light, I don't know that Lois is going to make it to the end of this deception, which I like. I like seeing a persevering Lois, but I also think it’s important that she fall just as much as anyone else. She’s strong, but she’s also fallible. She can't always be resilient--she has a breaking point like everyone else. I fear she’s somewhere on the path to having a nervous breakdown, at least eventually.

One of my favorite aspects of the relationship between these two is that they draw from each other's strengths. This situation gives a lot of potential for them to grow, and in that light I think Lois and Clark will be equally dependent once this all ends. Clark is going to need Lois's persistence and faith in Superman, and Lois is going to need Clark's hope and optimism. Hopefully they’ll be able to use those things to bring down the source and slowly redefine their relationship.

That’s all just speculation, of course. Whatever happens, I hope Clark gets to be as important/as much of the hero as Lois is. That would make this epic.

She smiles against his throat, and then she lets out a deep sigh, and her eyes flutter closed, her lashes butterfly-kissing his skin. Her body relaxes completely against him as she slips into sleep, her hands still fisted in his shirt, keeping him near.

This was a great chapter. I was expecting something really, really painful, but it had a very tender feeling to it. Thank you!

"I really do believe that we're all put here on this earth, or whatever planet we're put on, to do better than we think we can. To be kind, helpful, generous, and forgiving."
"You know something, CK? She's a class act."
"I've always thought so."
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
peep Please don't hate me, but I'm finally back! It took forever to sell our house, but then when it finally happened, everything had to be done immediately! Still, I'm finally here, moved in, unpacked, started a new job, and have several new chapters of Ghost written. So, if anyone's still willing to take a chance on a disappearing author... blush

It's been so long no one probably remembers even leaving feedback, but thank you anyway to everyone who commented!

Honestly, groobie, when I came up with this premise, I fell in love with the plot, not with making Lois and Clark suffer. But somehow, they always seem to go hand in hand with me. huh

Ooh, I actually like those episodes with Luckabee, DC, though I know it's probably unpopular to admit that! The migraines are definitely important, though we'll have to see if Lois lets them influence her. Clark helping Lois with her migraine is one of my favorite parts -- and very welcome to write instead of hurting Clark some more (really, I DO like the guy happy, I swear!)

I've always felt that a relationship started in Season 1 was going to be fraught with lots of one step forward, two steps back kind of situations, Virginia (not that I don't love reading, or writing, about them anyway!). And with the Planet opening, Lois does feel like she has some kind of fallback plan at least. It is interesting to write Clark being the one left behind!

I needed poor L&C to connect, too, LMA! This story is almost as brutal, in some ways, as Newsworthy! It would be quite the miracle if Clark figured out what was happening, and he does have his own problems to contend with, of course...

Thank you, AnnieL! I love writing Clark, but this whole story is a bit outside my comfort zone, so I'm glad his pov is working for you! He definitely does have an important part to play! I still suffer migraines at times, so I know how awful they are (in fact, this chapter was incredibly easy to write for more than one reason), and they certainly do take a lot out of you! I absolutely lov how Lois and Clark balance each other out, which is one of the things I love playing with in all my AU stories, how that might change according to context, or how they always, no matter the situation, find ways to help each other out.

Thank you, everyone, for the feedback! Sorry again for the long absence!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard