Clark had been living at Lane Manor for just over a month when his worst nightmare came true.

It started out like any other day. He woke up early, got dressed, and enjoyed a hearty, hot, and somewhat rushed breakfast before heading out to the stable. It had snowed the night before, and the world glistened and gleamed with a sheen of white ice crystals. Clark thought it beautiful as he made his careful way across the icy courtyard to the stable.

He greeted the horses, as he usually did, and tended to their needs. Sundrop - Lord Samuel and Lady Ellen had loved the name Lois had given the little filly - was getting bigger and stronger every day. Already she knew Clark - by sight, by scent, and by sound. He had but to whistle and the little foal would come prancing over to where he was. In fact, he was teaching all of the horses in the stable to respond to a series of whistles. He'd been developing the technique since he was a child, having found that sometimes, a sharp whistle could carry further and be better understood by the horses than spoken words across a distance. Most of the horses were beginning to learn and respond to his whistled cues, especially since he had Merlin to act as an example to them.

He went about his usual tasks of mucking out the stalls, laying fresh hay, filling water troughs, topping off food troughs, and setting aside the manure for the gardeners to use as fertilizer. Clark was in a good mood, humming to himself as he worked. Just last night, he'd managed to read most of a chapter from King Arthur, with little guidance from Lois, even if it was sometimes slow going and he sometimes stumbled over some of the unfamiliar words. His writing was getting better too. Lois now furnished him with paper and a quill and ink when they had their lessons. He could now write all the letters of the alphabet in a mostly legible script.

All in all, he was feeling on top of the world.

He should have known better.

About mid-morning, riders approached the manor. Clark instinctively knew that it was a lord, solely based on how large the retinue was that came along as well. He could see them from a long way off, once he heard rumor that riders were heading their way. Until they actually made it to the manor, they weren't Clark's concern. He went about his business as he normally would, though he dropped everything once the riders actually stepped foot on the property.

Clark went out to greet the visitors and to take care of their horses. That's when he saw him.

Lord Alexander Luthor.

Clark felt his blood turn to ice and his stomach turn to lead. Lex Luthor. The man who'd barely spared a glance at him before condemning him to be sold as a slave. The man who'd only spared Clark's life because he felt like a public execution wouldn't be enough of a shock to the people he lorded over. The man who would likely take Lois for his wife.

Clark fought the urge to be sick. He carefully affixed a neutral expression to his features as he strode forward, out into the courtyard. Lord Lane was already outside, enthusiastically greeting Lord Luthor. Clark said nothing as Luthor handed him the reins without so much as a flicker of recognition in his eyes. For that, Clark was oddly glad. He didn't want the man to recognize him, though he couldn't quite pinpoint an exact reason why.

"Lex! Good to see you!" Lord Lane said, smiling widely.

"And you, Samuel."

"I'm glad you could visit us. My daughter, Lois, is looking forward to meeting you. It's a shame you two haven't had a chance to cross paths yet," Samuel said, easily lying about Lois' level of enthusiasm.

Luthor grinned, like a hunter closing in on his prey. "And I cannot wait to meet her. From all I've heard about her, she is someone special to behold."

Samuel nodded. "She is. Now then, tell me what news you bring."

"I'm afraid Lord Tempos has struck again. His men have destroyed three villages to the southwest."

"Isn't that Lord Percival White's lands?"

Luthor nodded. "Yes. I thought the recent snows would slow or halt his advances, but..." He shrugged, letting the statement hang in the air.

"If only we could predict his next move. His men seem to attack at random," Samuel lamented.

"Perhaps it is time we speak more seriously about combining our forces," Luthor suggested.

Samuel nodded. "I agree. Come. Let us go inside and get you and your men something hot to fill your bellies and warm you up."

"I would be most appreciative."

Clark overheard it all as he went about his work. He forced himself not to scowl. He'd never hated anyone in his life - except for Lord Luthor. Just the thought of him made Clark's blood boil. Aside from the obvious reasons to despise the man, there was something about Luthor - some quality Clark couldn't rightly identify - that gave him an uneasy feeling and made the hairs on the back of his neck stand at worried attention.

"Be careful, Lois," he whispered to himself in the empty stable.

"Ah, there she is! My oldest daughter, Lois," Lois heard her father say as she stepped into the library, where he was sitting with a man she didn't know.

"Father? You called for me?" she asked.

Samuel nodded. "Yes. Lois, this is Lord Luthor."

I should have known, she chided herself.

"A pleasure to meet you," she said instead.

"The pleasure is all mine," Lord Luthor replied, kissing her hand. "Please, call me Lex."

"Lex," she forced herself to say, trying to avoid any awkward gaps in the conversation.

Funny, she thought to herself. I'm usually fairly comfortable talking with new people. But with Lex, I already feel awkward.

"Isn't she beautiful?" Samuel said, grinning happily.

"Exquisitely so," Lex agreed.

"What brings you to our home?" Lois politely inquired.

"There have been more attacks," Samuel supplied. "Lex and I were going to discuss combining our forces in earnest."

"Together, we stand a chance of eliminating the threat to not only our own people, but to all the neighboring lands," Lex said amiably. He spread his upturned palms as if encompassing all of the lands around. "Lord Tempos must be stopped. Not only does he steal and destroy whatever his troops come across, there have now been several people who have been slain, simply, I would imagine, for being in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Lois nodded thoughtfully. "I can imagine."

Like Clark's father, she thought sadly.

It must have shown on her face as well. Lex took a step forward and took her hand.

"My lady, I did not mean to upset you by speaking of the killings."

"Oh, it's not that," she said with a brief shake of her head. "It's just...I feel bad for those who have lost family members due to Tempos' raids."

She purposefully didn't mention Clark or his father. Some part of her told her not to say a word about them. Chances were, Lex didn't remember the poor young farmer he'd sentenced to slavery, simply for trying to survive in the wake of Tempos' raid. And on the off chance that he did remember Clark, it wasn't likely to be a fond memory of the supposed tax evader and poacher.

"Yes. It's a tragedy beyond words," Lex said coolly, his voice showing no real emotion. "But, come, let us talk of more pleasant things, my lady."

"Oh...of course," Lois stammered.

It was hard to read Lex. Was he simply not comfortable talking of the horrors of Lord Tempos' raids? Or did he deem her too fragile and not intelligent enough to discuss such matters because she was a woman? There was no way to know just yet.

A knock on the door shattered her thoughts. She turned and saw Paulette, one of the maids, standing there with a tray of tea and warm biscuits.

"Begging your pardon, milady," Paulette said, curtsying a little, the tray still in her hands, "but I was told to bring this in here."

"Yes, yes. Come right in," Lois said, inclining her head a bit.

Paulette came and set the tray on the table. With practiced hands, she swiftly poured the tea and set everything down in front of Lois, Samuel, and Lex. Silently, she took her leave when she was finished. Lois sat in a chair next to Samuel and across from Lex. From there, she could easily observe the man her father was pushing for her to marry.

There wasn't much to gather about him while they sipped at their tea. Lex and her father spent the better part of the time making small talk - the weather, rumors they'd heard of other lords and ladies, and other such inconsequential things. Lois said very little. She felt like she had nothing to add and preferred to be in an observatory role anyway.

"My dear lady, would you be interested in taking a walk outside with me?" Lex offered after the tea was gone and the last of the biscuits had grown cold. "After such a long ride this morning, I would love to stretch my legs."

Samuel shot her a pleading look over Lex's shoulder as he tended to the fire that was blazing in the hearth. Lois sighed inwardly and resigned herself to what was to come.

"Of course. Let me get into my winter boots and grab a cloak."

She didn't wait for an answer. Instead, she breezed out of the room and to her own chambers. Her heart was hammering in her chest. Alone with Lex Luthor! She'd only just met him and now she was expected to carry on a prolonged conversation with that same perfect stranger.

Try to give him a chance, her mind told her in the voice of her mother. Don't judge him too quickly.

She let out a frustrated sigh. The advice her mother had given her just before she'd joined Lex and her father in the library made sense. Lex deserved a chance just like any other person. She needed to put aside the rumors she'd heard about Lex and the things Clark had told her, in order to give Lex a fair chance. After all, Clark didn't know the man personally. He'd only met the lord once, and only for a few minutes at best. Perhaps Lex had been having a bad day or he'd been distracted. Maybe that had contributed to his dismissive attitude to the poor homeless farmer. Could it be that he was usually more forgiving and warm?

Doubtful, sneered her gut instinct.

Hush now, her mind shot back as she tugged on her boots. We have no choice but to try to get to know the man he really is.

"You can do this," she whispered to herself as she tried to steel herself for what was to come. "You can do this, Lois."

"Ah, my lady, there you are," Lex said, his face visibly brightening once she returned. "Are you ready for our walk?"

Lois nodded and allowed him to take her hand. "Yes. Are you?"

"I've never been readier for anything in my life, my lady."

"Please, Lex, call me Lois."

His constant use of "my lady" was starting to grate on her nerves. It was likely that he was trying to be polite, but it almost felt like a refusal to call her by her name.

"Of course, Lois. Shall we?"

Lois nodded and let him take the lead. Lex didn't speak again until they were outside in the cold, bright daylight.

"I was just telling your father what a lovely home he has," Lex began.

"I've always thought our home was beautiful," Lois agreed. "As a girl, I thought there was no more beautiful place in all the world."

Lex smiled. "And now, Lois?"

Lois shook her head. "Now I know there is more to the world that I ever could have imagined as a child. I still love this place, don't get me wrong, Lex. But part of me wonders what else is out there."

"Perhaps we can both find out. Together," he replied, giving her a shy smile.

Lois smiled in return. "Perhaps," she agreed in a non-committal way.

"I just love the snow, don't you?" Lex asked after a few moments. "See how pristine and clean it makes the world? And the ice! It gives everything such a wonderful sheen to it, like the world has been coated in a layer of pure diamond."

"It is very beautiful," Lois agreed. She brushed her fingertip over an iced over section of hedges that had long since lost their leaves. "But I've always preferred the summer. The long days, the warmth, how everything is green and growing." She couldn't help the genuine smile that crossed her lips as she spoke.

"I'd have to agree with you. Summer is a wonderful time of the year. At my own manor, I have sprawling gardens with every type of flower you can imagine. I can spend entire days out there and never get bored." He snapped his fingers as a thought occurred to him. "I know, I'll commission a painting for you, if you'd like."

Commission a painting. Such a stark contrast from Clark, who painstakingly carved his little wooden animal figurines with such love and care. Lois knew that not everyone had artistic talent and that she couldn't condemn the man for his lack of ability, but she still couldn't help the mental comparison between Lex and Clark from being made. She politely shook her head.

"That's a generous offer, but I prefer actually seeing flowers in person than looking at paintings of them. We have quite the gardens here as well. My mother takes great pride in her tulips, in particular."

"Well, I'd love to see them sometime."

Lois merely smiled in response. Then, changing the subject, "So, Lex. What kinds of hobbies do you enjoy?"

"I love books. I have a vast collection of them on every subject you could imagine. The mind is like a knife. You have to keep it sharp. Books are the whetstones that do the job."

Lois brightened. Books were important to her, too. "Really? I love a good book myself."

"Well then, I shall have to give you a tour of my library sometime."

"I'd like that," she admitted.

"I also have an extensive collection of exotic animals," Lex continued. "I have creatures from all over the world. Lions from Africa. Tigers from the jungles of India. Birds of every size and color. Monkeys. Bears. Even a black and white one from the depths of the Chinese forests."

"That sounds...quite intriguing," she managed. Was it her imagination, or was Lex beginning to brag?

"There's more, of course, but it's better to show you in person."

"I suppose it would be."

"There are days when I spend all day out amongst those animals. I've always been interested in animals. Predators, in particular. There's something about watching them stalk and hunt. It's fascinating."

"Oh? Do you often let them out to stalk and hunt?" Lois asked, concern blossoming in her heart.

Lex chuckled. "No. Of course not. I watch from the safety of outside their enclosures. But I'll admit, I do enjoy a bit of falconry. Watching my birds soar, dive, and twist through the air...it's fascinating, like a splendid, moving piece of artwork. They are extremely graceful and intelligent birds, you know."

"So I've heard. I've never seen it in person."

"Oh? You simply must. It changed my life, the first time I saw it. I must have been...oh, seven or eight years old at the time."

"How so?" Lois asked, trying to keep the conversation going. The fact was, she couldn't care less about falconry.

"It showed me that no goal is unattainable. It taught me the beauty of the birds. It inspired me to reach out and seize opportunities, because you never know when it might slip away, like a prey animal escaping the falcon's talons. And if that has made more a bit more...aggressive in my approach to life, well, it's worked out well so far."

"And by aggressive you mean...?" Lois pressed, giving Lex the chance to describe his style of ruling in his own words.

"I'll admit that I've been a little ruthless in the past," he said, shrugging a little. "I've had to make some tough decisions. I've never taken them lightly. Oh, it's true that I've made some unpopular decisions and laws, but everything I've done has been in an effort to bring peace and stability to my lands. I'm no different from any other lord in that respect. Even your father has had to make some difficult decisions, I'm sure. Things he may not have wanted to do. Laws he was loathe to pass."

"Yes..." Lois said, hesitantly. She hated to admit it, but Samuel had done some things that no one in the family had been comfortable with, but which had ultimately been the best course of action to retain peace in their lands.

"There, you see!" Lex said with a sudden smile, seemingly pleased by her admission.

But Father has never enslaved anyone, Lois thought to herself bitterly.

The knowledge that Lex Luthor had sold Clark off to the slave market burned at the back of her mind and left a bad taste on her tongue. She couldn't imagine deciding that someone's life should be traded away like that. Sure, she'd seen her father order executions before. But those times had been few and far between, and had always been reserved for the worst of offenses, like rapes and murders. Never once had Lord Lane condemned a person who was unable to pay their taxes to death.

"Sometimes, the hardest decision to make is to grant someone mercy," she heard herself saying aloud before she was even aware she was speaking.

"Perhaps," Lex said neutrally. "But I've found that leniency and mercy often spawn regrets."

Lois frowned. "Oh?"

Lex nodded, looking off into the distance, as if sorting through memories locked away long ago. "Unfortunately, it's true. When I was young, after my parents passed away and I found myself as lord of Luthor Manor, I was naive enough to grant several people second chances. Two of them went on to steal again. A third murdered the local priest. Yet another one burned several houses to the ground. That's when I learned that second chances are not always the best course of action."

"Because a couple of people took advantage?" Lois asked, aghast.

Lex shook his head regretfully. "It wasn't just them, Lois. There were others as well. More than I care to admit."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Lois offered.

And so the day passed. Lois and Lex toured Lane Manor's sprawling grounds together for a time, until the wind picked up and began to chill them down to their bones. They ate lunch together, just the two of them, though dinner was spent with the entire Lane family. Lois could see that both James and Lucy seemed charmed by Lex, despite the fact that they had shared her misgivings at first.

As the hours passed, Lois found her doubts slowly fading. Lex was fairly charming. He was well spoken and very intelligent. He was easy on the eyes too, though less than Clark. Clark had a natural beauty to him, Lois thought, whereas Lex's handsomeness seemed more...worked at. It was clear he took great pains to maintain a certain appearance. His shirt collar always had to be perfectly straight. He was constantly smoothing out any wrinkles in his clothing - both real and imagined. His hair had to be kept a specific way - any wayward strand were immediately set back into place.

He was a very flattering man, always complimenting her. But at the same time, Lois sensed that he was holding back in some ways, as if he deemed her not worthy or capable of discussing certain topics. It was insulting, but Lois wondered if she might be able to somehow use it to her advantage. She still hated that she was being pushed to marry Lex, if he proposed. It was true that she could have done worse for a husband. Actually, she hated to admit it to herself, but Lex wouldn't be the worst choice in a husband at all. But she wanted to be free to marry for love. And Clark was the only man she could ever see herself giving her heart to.

There's a chance I'll have to give my body over to Lex, if I'm forced to marry him, she thought to herself that night after she managed to slip off to her own chambers while the rest of the family sat in the main living space with Lex. But that doesn't mean I won't work to get myself out of the arrangement. And he'll never have my heart. Clark alone holds that.

Clark.

If only he'd been born a lord.

To Be Continued...

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon