Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#270803 07/02/16 03:24 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I know, I know, it's shorter than my usual chapters, but it is pretty pivotal in its own way and this was the right stopping point. Hope you all enjoy anyway! Thanks for your continued patience!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, God, my heart is aching for Clark. He loves her. Always has. And think she loves him. And she does, only she's still part of the "destroy Clark" plot.

I don't blame Clark for his panic over the mysterious voice. How creepy! It's following him, implying (at least to me) some kind of magic, powers, time travel, or telepathy. Not your run of the mill villain. Or even good guy, on the off chance that the voice is a warning.

As usual, Jonathan and Martha are just what the doctor has ordered. Unconditional support. And, of course, the voice of reason. Love those two!

You've spun another thought-provoking, gut-wrenching chapter, my friend. Please update soon. Pretty please with a Clarkie doll on top?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
It's been a month and we have a new part. I now can break into my happy dance. party

You keep on writing, I'll keep on reading.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Poor Clark. That voice is certainly scaring him and making him paranoid. It would scare me too. I can't see him wanting to leave Metropolis though. If he's heard that voice in Louisiana, Superman leaving Metropolis isn't going to do him any good. I'm glad that his folks pointed this out to him.

Poor Clark. He loves Lois so much. She's the one positive aspect of his life at the moment and yet, he knows there's something off. He can sense her nervousness. I only wish they would be able to confide in one another.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Blogger
Blogger
Originally, I thought that Clark's stalker was there to reinforce Lois's belief that she's distracting him, making her think he was ignoring a call for help. It does sound like she did notice his anxiety last chapter, but I'm wondering now if there's more to it.

Lois smiles at him, and when her eyes open, he can see the pain in them. “I just… I don’t want to hurt you, Clark. You’re my best friend, and my partner, and…and I think you’re the most important person in my life. And I don’t want to hurt you anymore.”

I love Lois's almost childlike honesty here. But at the same time, there's depth to it. An apology, maybe? A suppressed plea for understanding? For help?

It is his turn to draw patterns on her dusky skin, to trace the curve of her cheek, paintings that release some of the thrill he feels at her words (the relief that she is not about to break his heart again). “I love you,” he whispers. “And so, yes, that implies a certain vulnerability. But it makes me strong, too. You and I are stronger together, Lois.”

You just had to put that aside in there, didn't you?
This made me cringe. I can deal with a hurting Lois, but seeing Clark so trusting and vulnerable and so happy hurts when I know it's about to crumble. cry Lois needed to hear this, though. I'm sure it won't change her mind, but I hope it comes back to her when she figures out what's really going on.

When he finally dares to open his eyes, he finds Lois staring up at him, her expression one he’s never seen before (so tender, so soft, so fond, that he feels his heart stutter and ricochet against his breastbone). She frames his face with her hands, stares and stares and stares as if she has never seen him before and will never see him again. And the words slip from his mouth before he can stop them.

“I love you, Lois.”

This is the most beautiful passage you've written so far. It perfectly encapsulates their relationship as it stands just now. Lois seeing Clark for the first time, finally in love, but drinking him in because she knows she doesn't have a lot of time left. I love that Lois is enough for Clark despite whatever anxiety is filling the rest of his life. As others have said, poor Clark. I do feel for Lois, but Clark didn't have any idea what he was getting into. frown

Clark might not make sense as a culprit, but Alt. Clark has more of a motive to carry something like this out. Lois certainly disrupted his life enough. Did he feel some resentment towards our Lois and Clark after living most of his life without his Lois (which, admittedly, would probably be worse for him due to his lack of a proper support system)? In that way, I could see the memories Lois has as both an accident and an intentional cruelty, since she is seeing exactly the life she's missing. Did something happen to his world that he is now showing her? Or is he truly trying to protect this Clark for some unknown reason? Not only does he have round glasses, but there's also an excellent reason why he would feel regret: he still feels bonded to Lois, even if she isn't his.
(That's not to say I believe my own theory, but he's the only person with round glasses I can think of who could potentially fit your description.)

This is the calm before the storm, isn't it? I'll keep my tissues handy as I impatiently wait for your next update. Great job!

"I really do believe that we're all put here on this earth, or whatever planet we're put on, to do better than we think we can. To be kind, helpful, generous, and forgiving."
"You know something, CK? She's a class act."
"I've always thought so."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lois smiles at him, and when her eyes open, he can see the pain in them. “I just… I don’t want to hurt you, Clark. You’re my best friend, and my partner, and…and I think you’re the most important person in my life. And I don’t want to hurt you anymore.”

Gotta tell you, this is really killing me! mecry

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow--what a chapter! clap

Martha and Jonathan were brilliantly perfect, as always. I'm glad for Clark--with all that he has going on that is so confusing and worrisome--that they could be a voice of reason. Metropolis is Clark's home, he can't just up and leave like he did when traveling around the world. And with Superman now around, they both can't be seen heading to a new location permanently. I'm glad they explained this to him.

The creepy voice is superbly nerve wracking, Anti-K notworthy. The fact that Clark has heard it now around Metropolis, but also NOT in Metropolis, definitely elevates the situation. But how do you track down a voice? I don't know how Clark could even make a dent in investigating this...unless to just act immediately as his name is spoken again.

The moments between Lois and Clark at the end of the chapter were amazing. You weaved so much unspoken into their spoken words. So much feeling, so much love (cause even for not saying it, I truely believe that Lois has completely fallen for Clark), so much uncertainty, so much question. You could tell that they both care about each other very much, but that they are walking a tightrope around each other, too.

I just really hope that Lois tells Clark what is going on. Telling him is going to be so much better than letting him find out and get even more hurt in the long run. Yes, Clark is going to be crushed by how their relationship started, but hopefully, if Lois can (somehow? grovel ) explain to Clark the situation, he can see her true heart/feelings.

Pins and needles till the next posting hyper...

Awesome job!!!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Kerth
Kerth
Happy to see another part! The voice is driving your readers insane, too, not just Clark. wink I've officially given up on guessing...I have no idea what's going on! But I'm absolutely in for the ride. laugh Come back soon!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hey, I'm actually doing this on time for once! Wonders never cease! smile

Thanks, DC, I'm glad the voice is effective! When I first started writing it, I suddenly realized that a disembodied voice isn't the easiest thing to write as an effective 'scary tool' (I always realize these things after it's too late to re-plan them laugh ). And I think I should get that Clarkie doll! wink

Thanks for being so faithful, SupesFan! I feel so guilty posting late, but it's nice to know that you're willing to wait -- now I just hope it's worth it!

Lois and Clark able to confide in each other, Virginia? We are only on Season 1! grin They really are so much stronger together than apart, though, so it would be great if they could combine their resources! The voice certainly does seem to get around, doesn't it...

Thank you, AnnieL! You always have such great, well-thought-out theories in your feedback, which is great because it helps keep me on my toes -- when your readers are smart, you can't just slack off! smile The voice does have more than one purpose (that's probably too much to admit already, anyway!)... I do feel bad for both Lois and Clark, but like you pointed out, he has no idea what he's gotten into whereas she had something of a choice. And yeah, the calm before the storm MIGHT be the appropriate description. I'd lend you some tissues, but I think I've blown through mine by now. cool

Sorry, Morgana! I do like to torture you, don't I -- but only because it's what best allows the characters to shine through. whistle

I do love Jonathan and Martha, LMA, so they always seem to show up in my stories somewhere (we have to take advantage of the fact that this is one of the only incarnations of Superman who has a strong support system, after all). I'm glad you pointed out how hard it would be to track down a voice -- because I have definitely run into that problem on my end! I'll admit to some relief that the last scene didn't run into any problems; this is the most 'explicit' that I've written (and me calling it that probably goes far to prove how little I know about writing it!), so I was a bit worried about how it would come through. And yeah, always so much better for someone to TELL a secret than for them to find out on their own (now when will characters on television shows learn this?)

Thanks, groobie! I'm glad you're still reading even if you're not guessing anymore! Believe me, if you guessed what was going on, I'd be very disappointed with myself, so this was a nice note to get! laugh

Thank you, everyone! Hope you enjoy the next part!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard