Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#270645 06/19/16 12:39 PM
Nan Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I haven't posted for a while, and it looks as if I may not for another while.

In April, I discovered a lump in my right breast. My doctor checked it and didn't think it was anything. We couldn't do much more because my insurance only covers a prophylactic mammogram every two years, and my last was in November of 2014.

Friday before last, I noticed it was sore all day, and Monday I called my doctor for another check. She said it seemed thicker, and scheduled me for a diagnostic mammogram the following day.

They found a suspicious mass about the size of a peanut. They told me that because of my age they had to assume that it might be malignant. Ultrasound over the whole area showed that whatever it was, it was still localized, and they were going to schedule me for a biopsy the following Monday. I managed to talk them into a biopsy the same day. You can get very determined when you are scared, which I was.

The results came back the next morning. It is invasive ductal carcinoma -- breast cancer, grade two. Further analysis is still pending to determine the stage.

80% of breast cancers are this kind, especially in women in my age group. I'm 68. They don't think it has gone beyond the localized area, but it requires immediate treatment, for obvious reasons. I see a breast surgeon on Thursday, which is, as far as I am concerned, a long time.

I've spent a lot of time crying since Wednesday. No matter how well or ill this turns out, the next year is going to be a very hard one for me. I hope anyone who knows my writing will wish me luck, and those who believe in it, please pray for me. I have never been so scared in my life.

Nan Smith

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Nan #270646 06/19/16 01:40 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, Nan, my heart goes out to you. I wish you the best. This is some scary news indeed, but please don't lose your hope. Keep fighting!

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Nan #270647 06/19/16 02:04 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello Nan,

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I'm glad, though, that you were able to catch it before it spread. You will definitely be in my prayers.

Please keep us posted and know that there are people throughout the world sending their thoughts and prayers your way.

Hugs,
Lynn

Nan #270649 06/19/16 02:49 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Very sorry to hear that, hope the treatment goes well. It's supposed to have improved a lot in recent years, so hopefully you'll be OK. Best wishes anyway.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Nan #270650 06/19/16 03:42 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm so sorry to hear this Nan. I have personally been through equally serious illness myself in the last 2 years, so I know what feelings and anxieties you are currently facing.

I have plenty I want to say to encourage you on your particular situation too. My mum was diagnosed 4 years ago and has been clear since finishing her treatment 4 months later, and a friend at church has just finished her radiotherapy. If you want some more personal encouragement I will message you, but please be assured that breast cancer is not as scary as it used to be decades ago. Even if it looks terrifying now, you will find the strength to get through this.

I'm not sure how much the treatment will differ in the USA to here in the UK but I cannot believe the differences will be anything but minor. The process was over for my mum within 4 months. There are continual follow ups, and medication, as aftercare, but the literal treating of the cancer was over very quickly. I expected a long and arduous fight for my mum, but - looking back - it was actually a realitively simple process. That's not to lessen the worry and the tension at many points along the way, and the inconvencience of travelling to a hospital 1 hour away every day for three weeks to have radiotherapy which took only 30 minutes. My mum was very strong, and did have a scare earlier this year that the cancer had returned, but it turned out to be nothing.

Please be reasured that, while everything looks terrifying at the moment, you can come through this - quickly - and also that many people will be praying for you during this time.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Nan #270653 06/19/16 04:54 PM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Praying for you, Nan, and thinking positively.

And please keep us posted--they'll be a lot of people here wanting to know how you are doing.

Cancer has touched my family more than ever in the last couple of years. While I haven't personally been effected, multiple people that I love deeply have been.

You can do it--know we are all rooting for you!!!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nan #270654 06/19/16 05:56 PM
Nan Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I will. Right now I'm gulping tranquilizers and chewing my fingernails to the quick. And telling myself that it isn't as bad as it sounds.

If I can get myself to believe that, it will be a miracle. Thursday seems a long way off.

Nan #270656 06/19/16 06:18 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I wish you the best of luck, Nan. My thoughts are with you during this trying time. (My anger at your insurance company, I'll try to keep under control and off the boards.)

I find comfort in seeing adversity in my life as a way to strengthen my writing skills, such as the depth of my characters through my own experiences. Not that you need any help in that department as your stories are wonderful and inspiration to us all. However, wacky person that I am, that's how I look for the positives when life pours lemonade on my wounds.

"Well, that sucks," I say to myself. "But at least I know how Lois / Clark feels when life spirals out of control."

I know my words might not be as inspiring as others, so feel free to ignore my advice, but I've always found writing as a great escape from the realities of life. Writing gives me control (as I keep *trying* to remind my muse) in situations where I otherwise feel powerless.

So, don't let life force you to put down your pen (or put away your keyboard), because it might be the stress relief you need. Don't let this diagnosis change you, who you are, and want to be. I know it's sometimes hard to write or find joy in anything when you're feeling lousy, but when you're having a good day (and hard that it is to think that it's possible, there will be good days), it might be the breath of fresh air that keeps you from turning into couch potato (basing this analogy on my life, BTW) or worse.

I'm wishing you and your family the best of luck! Know that we love you and will be thinking of you here on the boards. Take care!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nan #270658 06/19/16 08:16 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hi Nan,

I'm sorry to hear your news. Praying for you and sending positive energy.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Nan #270667 06/19/16 11:45 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Nan,

So sorry to hear the news. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this trying and scary time.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nan #270703 06/21/16 12:11 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Good luck, Nan. I hope everything works out well for you.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nan #270730 06/24/16 04:36 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Cancer covers a wide variety of levels. Common ones have really good success rates now a days. So remember things are hopeful. Good luck.

Nan #270731 06/24/16 07:09 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Nan,

How did the meeting with the surgeon go? I hope it relieved a lot of your concerns.

Take care,
Lynn

Nan #270732 06/24/16 11:58 AM
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Nan,

Just came across your post today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. FarmerBabe and I will be praying for a good diagnosis and a quick recovery.

Best regards,
David

Shallowford
Nan #270733 06/24/16 12:01 PM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Nan!

I just read this and can only echo the sentiments already shared!

Get well!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nan #270737 06/24/16 08:24 PM
Nan Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
The meeting with the surgeon went well. I will be scheduled for an MRI in the next two weeks, and a probable lumpectomy followed by radiation, some time after that. Then there will be breast reconstruction to repair the piece they have to take out, and hormone therapy to suppress estrogen and progesterone, which can feed a tumor's growth, for several years.

My doctor, who comes highly recommended, tells me that this kind of tumor is the most common kind in women who have no family history of the disease (which I do not) and has a 95% cure rate, barring unlikely surprises.

This can all change, of course, depending on any further discoveries, but the growth is small yet. She told me to relax, that I wasn't going to die of this thing. I hope she is right.

Life isn't fair, as I have always known, but, good grief! I have no relatives on either side of the family, back as far as my great grandmothers, who have had breast cancer. I nursed 7 babies -- and I drew the short straw. I'd swear if I didn't make a point of not putting bad language in print. And in my job I had the unenviable opportunity to learn a lot of pretty colorful language that I probably should never have heard. I've used a lot of it to myself and my hubby in the last week, when I wasn't indulging in sheer panic.

Nan #270738 06/24/16 10:49 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sounds like you got some good news! Glad to see the extremely high cure rate!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nan #270739 06/24/16 11:50 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Relieved to hear this positive report from the doctor. Sending good thoughts your way. smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nan #270740 06/25/16 12:05 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Here's to hoping that your treatment goes smoothly and as painless as possible. Positive vibes coming your way from a long-time lurker. Sarah

Nan #270744 06/25/16 07:16 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Glad to hear the good news. Thanks for sharing.

Joy,
Lynn

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard