Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
This one introduced us to yet another comic book villain. You can really tell the show went out of its way to use more comic book villains during the second season.

We also saw Lucy again for the first time since the early episodes of season one. I always thought it was a little odd how she seemingly just disappeared after a few episodes, so I was glad to see her back again, even if they did use a different actress. I liked the plot of seeing Lois in the role of protective big sister to Lucy.

Metallo made for a good villain for Superman to face. There aren’t many that actually pose a threat to Superman in a fight, but Metallo is one of them that can. It’s too bad we didn’t see him in several episodes instead of just this one.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Really, no fics involving Metallo came to mind, so I checked the database. And there aren't a lot of fics listed there with the keyword "Episode-Related: Metallo" either.

Katie Sizer has Calling Clark , a 30-minute episode extension challenge, where she talks about what happens if Lois gets hold of Clark instead of his answering machine.

Rhen Brink had the same topic - Lois lets the phone ring an extra time before hanging it up - in her If Only... .

Jana Officer also visits what happens *after* the episode in Starless Night . There seems to be a common theme here - everybody wants to write what happened afterwards. Nobody wants to write about Clark being kidnapped. Although Alisha Knight, in her fine fic The Game , does show what Lois is thinking when Clark gets captured.

I have watched "Superman: The Animated Series" and they used Metallo a lot more. Metallo was menacingly voiced by Malcolm McDowell, and he comes close to defeating Superman several times.

[Linked Image]

One thing - didn't Clark, in effect, kill Johnny Corbin by melting his legs? Is there a moral dilemma here? Does Corbin lose his humanity because he became a cyborg?

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
I have watched "Superman: The Animated Series" and they used Metallo a lot more. Metallo was menacingly voiced by Malcolm McDowell, and he comes close to defeating Superman several times.
I remember watching a few of those episodes back when they first aired, but I haven't seen them in years. I did buy the complete series on DVD a while back, though, and I plan on watching it once I'm through with "Lois and Clark."

One thing - didn't Clark, in effect, kill Johnny Corbin by melting his legs? Is there a moral dilemma here? Does Corbin lose his humanity because he became a cyborg?
I think he was a bit rougher on Corbin than he would have been with a regular villain, but I don’t think Superman killed him. I can’t really blame Superman too much, though, since Corbin was a tougher opponent to face than most of the villains he went up against. What I think killed him was Rollie stealing his Kryptonite heart. Had he not taken it, I believe Corbin would have been fine other than the fact that he was missing his legs.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Somewhere there is a fic where Mayson Drake is prosecuting Superman on this very issue. I don;t remember what it was called though.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
If I remember correctly this is the episode where we get one of the best interaction between Lois and Clark. I think it occurs when Clark is trying to tell Lois why Superman did not come to her.

Lois then goes to explain that Superman is not just wonderful because of what he can do but because of his values and beliefs. She says the line to Clark "he is a lot like you".

If I remember correctly this is the last time we ever see Lucy in the series.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Bakasi just posted a "Metallo"-related fic - Deserving To Know . Don't miss this fine fic.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Somewhere there is a fic where Mayson Drake is prosecuting Superman on this very issue. I don;t remember what it was called though.
I believe that is Yesterday, Upon The Stair by CCMalo.

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Recently, I re-watched this episode for the first time in years and noticed (remembered) many things I hadn't before. Johnny Corbin actually *hurt* Clark. The next day, after their original fight, Clark came to work achy and in pain, despite being able to fly away from the fight directly afterwards. It meant that even though he had super-healing, he still could feel residual pain. He even refused Lois's offer of aspirin.

This episode let's us know what happened to Lucy (kind of, sort of, not really). She explains to Lois that she had been in L.A. and that she returned to Metropolis to finish her degree (because clearly there aren't any schools in L.A. [Linked Image]). She's actually had been studying, which is why she hadn't heard of Metallo stalking the city (although, we know from earlier dealings with Lucy that she's not always up on the news front.)

I love the light in Lois's eyes when she realizes after stating all of Superman's wonderful qualities that he reminds her of Clark.

I've always pictured Superman (well, mostly Clark) as being quite modest in the fact that he'd be embarrassed if he accidentally flew into Lois's apartment to find her in the bath. But in this episode, he does just that. Not only does he fly unannounced into her apartment, he flies into her BEDROOM and he doesn't look away when she steps out of the bath! Clark! No wonder she thought Superman was making a pass at her.

Why *does* Clark have his answering machine set to answer after the first ring? I know the rest of us take 10 rings to actually get to the phone, and he doesn't, but still... What would Lois have said to Clark if he HAD answered the phone? It's kind of awkward how she goes to call him directly after being rejected by Superman.

Has anyone ever explored Clark's reaction if Metallo had been powered by red Kryptonite instead of green K?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Has anyone ever explored Clark's reaction if Metallo had been powered by red Kryptonite instead of green K?

You should put that in the challenge topic.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by dcarson
Originally Posted by Virginia
You should put that in the challenge topic.
I guess I shall have to. Iolanthealias mentioned that Metallo wasn't a popular episode for FanFic writers to use, which probably answers that question better than anything else.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard