A/N: I am so, so, so, SO sorry this is so late. frown In order to keep it from being any later, here is the tiny fragment I've got done so far. I'm still working on the rest. Please know that I haven't abandoned this fic or forgotten it.
Part Nine

Part Ten-A

----------

It was late afternoon, and Clark still wasn't home. Michel set the bag of chamonix down by the apartment door, near where he'd tossed his hilariously unnecessary coat, and leaned against the wall, worrying. He knew that "Superman" wasn't at the courthouse anymore, but where could he possibly--?

"Ah! There he is!"

Michel's head snapped up just as a car pulled into view. An older man sat behind the wheel, with Clark in full Superman regalia riding in the passenger seat. Clark's eyes widened in surprise as they locked with Michel's, but the driver merely smiled and parked a few feet away from him.

"Kent!" the older man saluted him once they were out of the vehicle. "When's the rest of that article coming, son?"

"Er..." Michel looked at Clark beseechingly, trying to figure out what he should do. Clark jerked his head toward the other man several times and made a few faces, none of which were enlightening. "Actually, Sir," he began, "I'm not--" he broke off when Clark started waving frantically at him. "Er, I mean, yes!" Michel said.

The man frowned, his forehead scrunching in confusion. "What?" he asked.

"Yes, everything is going good!" Michel ammended, giving the stranger his best smile.

"Well, uh, glad to hear it," the older man gruffly replied, still frowning. He suddenly put an arm around Michel's shoulders. "Anyway, listen: Superman here needs a place to stay for the night while all this legal mumbo jumbo gets resolved. Do you mind if he bunks with you?"

Michel looked to Clark again. Clark seemed to be fighting a headache, the way he was rubbing his temples. At one point, the older fellow turned around, and Clark quickly lowered his hands and pretended to be interested in a passing airplane. Finally, Michel caught a motion by Clark's hip, and saw Clark surruptitiously making the hand-gesture for "zero". "Oh! Er, that's a terrible idea," Michel replied. The older man frowned. Behind him, Clark started shaking his head. "Absolutely no," Michel continued, until he saw Clark slap his own forehead. "Er, I mean no problem! Absolutely no problem!"

The man gave a relieved smile. "Good!" he said. "Well, I guess I'd best be heading back to the Planet. Make sure to send that article over ASAP."

Clark nodded slightly.

"Yes," Michel replied.

Clark reached a hand up and pretended to cough. "Chief," came the barely audible word.

"Chief," Michel added.

The chief got back into his car and drove away, leaving Clark and Michel standing outside of Clark's door.

"Hi," Michel offered, tentatively.

Clark's mouth twitched at the corner, then bloomed into a full-blown smile. "Hi," he responded. "Want to come in?"

TBC...

~•~