Next part here, turned into a bit of a chaotic weekend for me between the holiday and making 'friends' with a yellow jacket (at least I'm not allergic), so there won't be a powers story this week.

Beyond the External
by Lieta

Disclaimer: This is a fan work based on “Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.” All rights to the characters belong to DC Comics and Warner Bros. No profit was made off this work.

Chapter 6

Lois and Clark sat at a coffee shop a few blocks from the Planet. Clark wasn’t quite sure why they’d stopped here, but Lois had wanted to discuss something with him before they attempted to start their research on Luthor. Clark was still having some trouble controlling his thoughts as his beautiful partner sat across from him.

However, now that they were here, Lois seemed content to silently sip her coffee. Clark found himself hyper aware of nearly every movement she made and it was starting to drive him crazy. Finally, he decided to prod her on. “Lois?” he asked, “what was that development you wanted to talk to me about?”

Lois let out a long sigh, then pursed her lips in a slight pout. Clark found himself almost mesmerized by the expression and forced himself to pay attention as she started to speak.

“You know I’ve been having occasional dinners with Lex?” she asked. Clark nodded, fighting the feelings of pained disappointment that erupted in him with the thought. “Well, I forgot I had agreed to one this Friday. They’ve usually been more spur of the moment, but he was so tied up with business lately that we actually scheduled this in advance.” She made a little sound of disgust. “Although knowing what I know now, this dinner might have been meant to… console me after Superman was run out of town.”

Clark forced himself to concentrate on Lois’ dilemma. It was taking all his willpower not to be distracted by his beautiful partner. “What do you want to do, partner? I’m sure we could invent a reason for you to cancel or, at the very least, reschedule.”

Lois tapped a finger against her lips and Clark flushed as he suddenly found himself squirming in his seat, fighting the urge to kiss her. “I don’t want to tip him off,” Lois said thoughtfully, “but I’m not sure I can be convincing enough for someone as shrewd at reading people as him to not notice anything-“ She suddenly cut herself off. “Clark,” she demanded in a dangerous tone, “what are you *doing*?”

Clark froze and stared at her in confusion. Then he realized that his hand had, without his permission, wandered over and was now caressing her knee under the table. Clark whipped his hand back and stumbled to his feet, rushing out of the cafe and ignoring Lois calling after him. Once outside, Clark forced himself to take long, calming breaths as he slumped against an alley wall. What was *happening* to him? He *never* lost control of himself like this. He couldn’t afford to.

Cool hands brushed over his forehead. “Clark?” Lois asked softly, “are you okay?”

Clark met her concerned gaze and was helpless to resist pulling her to him, his lips finding hers insistently. For a moment, she stiffened, then she melted into him as their kiss quickly turned passionate. However, when he felt Lois’ hands brushing the buttons on his shirt, Clark snapped out of the spell that had fallen over them.

“Lois,” he said hoarsely, “what are we doing?”

Lois gazed at him with slightly dilated eyes, “I’ve got a better question: why weren’t we doing that already?” She gave him a dazed smile and leaned in to kiss him again.

Clark found himself unable to resist for a moment but then it was as if a fog had lifted and he pulled himself away from his partner, ignoring her whimper of protest. A slight pressure nudged him from behind his temples as Clark shook his head to clear it, carefully holding Lois at bay.

“Lois,” he started, catching her hands as she tried to pull him to her again, “Lois! Snap out of it!” his voice was turning desperate. “I think something drugged us…”

Lois managed to squeeze herself closer to him, despite his attempts to fend her off. Then, she nuzzled against his neck, and he was immediately distracted again. She seemed to sense his distraction and pressed closer, plastering her body to his.

Clark let out a sharp gasp and pleaded, “Lois, get a grip-“

Lois beamed at him, “I’d love to!” She pulled her hands from his suddenly slack grasp and ran them down his sides, causing Clark to shiver.

“Lois, please,” he begged, “not like this… I know you don’t really want this. Not now, not with me…” He caught her shoulders and forced her to step back from him. The pressure at his temples exploded into pain so sharp he let out a cry and doubled over, hands bracing his forehead.

“Clark?” Lois’ worried voice barely registered. “Clark, are you okay?” She knelt in the dirty alley without care for her pantyhose or skirt. At least, Clark thought caustically, his pain had distracted her from whatever was affecting her enough to stop her attempts to throw herself at him.

Clark took several deep breaths as the pain began to rapidly fade. “I’ll be fine, Lois. But we’ve got to get back to the Planet.” He captured her hands again and gave them a reassuring squeeze as he straightened.

Lois looked up at him, tears gathering in her eyes. She looked absolutely devastated and Clark steeled his heart against it. “What about us?” Lois whispered, her voice laced with a pain that broke Clark’s heart even though he knew it wasn’t real.

Clark took a deep breath and pulled her to her feet before wrapping her in a tight hug. “Ask me that again when you’re… sober,” he whispered into her hair. As her hands started to wander again, he pulled away and started herding her back to the Planet.

Lois pouted and dragged her feet like a reluctant child the entire way. Clark considered this a fortunate turn of events since the childish act made it much easier to fight his attraction to her than it would have been if she’d still been in full seductress mode.

In the elevator, Lois leaned against a corner with her arms folded tightly, obviously in a huff.

Nothing could have prepared either of them for the sight that met their eyes in the bullpen.

Sara "Lieta"