Next Thread
Print Thread
#270417 05/29/16 03:05 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Comments?

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Kerth
Kerth
I'm so happy you've started writing this story again! I think it fits in seamlessly with the Hunger Games universe. Great idea to include a young Finnick in this part. I can't wait for Clark to get to District 3. smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by groobie
I'm so happy you've started writing this story again! I think it fits in seamlessly with the Hunger Games universe. Great idea to include a young Finnick in this part. I can't wait for Clark to get to District 3. smile
I always liked the character of Finnick (especially as played by Sam Claflin in the movies). In this story, he's close in age to Clark (a little less than three years younger), and they have a fair amount in common, so they are becoming friends.

Clark reaches District 3 in the next chapter. He is definitely not looking forward to it.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Instead of asking endless questions while Marcius is around, Clark is now relying on the powers of observation in order to learn about the larger world that is Panem. What he discovers so far is that the teachers and schools are lying to those outside of the Capitol.

Clark kept his eyes and ears open as he visited each district, trying to learn as much as he could without asking questions. Soon, he realized that much of what he’d learned in school about Panem was wrong.

This is a thoughtful part. Clark is also discovering there is more to the Avoxes than he had previously imaged - they have their own unusual form of communication. He wants them to be comfortable around him, but they are afraid ...and rightfully so.

“You won because you knew how to use a trident and make nets.”

“Yeah, some people in the Capitol decided they liked me. That trident was expensive, especially late in the Game. It cost over a million dollars.”

“A million dollars!” Clark tried to imagine that much money and couldn’t quite do it. As a victor, he was one of the wealthiest people in District 9, but his winnings weren’t anywhere close to that.

I didn't see any of the movies, so could you explain how a trident could cost a million dollars? Did it shoot lasers?

Poor Yannick. Hopefully Clark will be left alone.

Onto District 3. Is Lois alive?

Last edited by Morgana; 05/31/16 08:48 PM. Reason: Additional comments

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Morgana
Instead of asking endless questions while Marcius is around, Clark is now relying on the powers of observation in order to learn about the larger world that is Panem. What he discovers so far is that the teachers and schools are lying to those outside of the Capitol.

The schools are given particular curriculums, depending upon the district. Some of the teachers might know more than they let on, but they don't dare to speak up. Doing so could cost them their jobs, their tongues, and even their lives.

Clark kept his eyes and ears open as he visited each district, trying to learn as much as he could without asking questions. Soon, he realized that much of what he’d learned in school about Panem was wrong.

This is a thoughtful part. Clark is also discovering there is more to the Avoxes than he had previously imaged - they have their own unusual form of communication. He wants them to be comfortable around him, but they are afraid ...and rightfully so.[/quote]
Yes, he has far more power than them (though he's not really aware of it), and they're afraid of him learning their secret ways of communicating. In Panem, secrets are powerful -- and deadly.

“You won because you knew how to use a trident and make nets.”

“Yeah, some people in the Capitol decided they liked me. That trident was expensive, especially late in the Game. It cost over a million dollars.”

“A million dollars!” Clark tried to imagine that much money and couldn’t quite do it. As a victor, he was one of the wealthiest people in District 9, but his winnings weren’t anywhere close to that.

I didn't see any of the movies, so could you explain how a trident could cost a million dollars? Did it shoot lasers?[/quote]
In the books, Katniss explains that gifts sent to the tributes are very expensive, and grow more expensive as the Games go on. She thinks that the trident might have been the most expensive gift in the history of the Games. I came up with the million-dollar price tag -- only the wealthiest people could afford to contribute to such a gift, and the recipient would be beholden to them.

Poor Yannick. Hopefully Clark will be left alone.
What Snow wants Clark to do is ... (Keep reading. I'll reveal it soon.)

Onto District 3. Is Lois alive?
Hmm ... is Lois alive? Is Lois dead? Keep reading.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard