Next Thread
Print Thread
#270274 05/21/16 06:17 PM
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Complete vignette

Thanks to those of you who chose to read this story. Feel free to move right along without comment if it's not for you. And, fear not, I have some WAFFier fare in the works.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
That was an incredibly powerful story. I've talked to a number of teenage girls who have been the victim of rape, and judging from what they've told me, your story is very accurate.

Good job writing about a tough subject.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yikes! I, too, have wondered what other negative consequences there were from the NK invasion of Smallville. I cannot imagine that the ideal community returned to business as usual.

I love the image of fireflies being fairies. At first, I thought this first person piece was from the view of Clark. I'm sure you wrote it in this manner, partially, to make us think that. It definitely made me do a double-take when I read that Clark was pregnant.

It would be a horrible experience to deal with normally, but then to also have to live with a daily reminder of what happened and learn to love that reminder must be difficult for even the strongest of women. However, to know that such a child should not be adopted off lightly, or could also grow up to be the next Superman makes this choice triply difficult at 18, and shows a lot of forethought and consideration of others some women in this position might not give. I hope that she writes Superman a letter, informing him that he may no longer be the only one of Kryptonian descent living on Earth, but I understand if she doesn't... mainly due to the same fears that Jonathan instilled in Clark. The people of Smallville also recall the Jason Trask's of the world better than most.

I'm hoping that the boyfriend will grow a conscience, but I'm sure his reaction can be listed as one of the typical ones, even in situations not as unique as this. How horrible it must be to live with not only the memories of being tortured (which is how women see rape), but also with others blaming her for having suffered in this manner.

I kept reading "1 of 5" wondering if there were 4 other girls in the same predicament in Smallville... would they make the same choice?

Deep and heavy material, groobie. Hugs to you for tackling such a hard subject so well.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Well done, very well done.

Framework4
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
This was great. Thanks!

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Bravo notworthy...

I am so glad, and so proud, that you posted this. Not an easy subject to write about, to post about, or to talk about, but one that needs to be brought up and recognized regardless.

The NK Arch has so many different aspects to it, with so much relating always to Lois, to Clark, to the Kents. But having something of this magnitude happen on Earth, especially and obviously IN Smallville, would create all sorts of situations for the people in town. I can see this, unfortunately, as a possibility happening.

And I so admire how you took this story from L&C, took this situation, and rooted it in a real life situation that happens way too much to women, to girls. How you gave these females a voice.

I love your vast ability--to write something so amazingly raw and real...but then also (cause yeah, lucky me, I have the inside scoop on that 'WAFFier fare in the works' hyper clap grin--get excited guys, it's awesome!!!) can turn around and write the romantic, sassy banter between Lois and Clark that we all are so familiar with and love.

Great job sloppy
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks, everyone, for the positive feedback. I know this is far different from the usual fare, but I felt it was a story that needed to be told. Studies have reported that 1 of 5 women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetimes. Certainly, with the depiction of the patriarchal nature of New Kryptonian society and their treatment of women, it is all to easy to believe that a story like this could have occurred during their subjugation of Smallville.

As I have said in the past, I am 1 of 5. While the narrator's story is not my own story (in particular, I never had to confront the choice she has to make), I am happy to hear your feedback that it felt powerful and authentic and am proud to have successfully given voice to this subject.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This truly is an awesome story, one that needed to be told. This kind of situation is heart-wrenching and yet, so true in many parts of the world where rape still is a weapon and a military strategy. Realistically, it HAD to happen... Even in Smallville.

You did great and very tastefully, tackling such difficult issues (keeping the child or not, and the physical and psychological traumas).

And it's so beautifully written. (Sentences like "The Milky Way is a ribbon of possibilities, daring our world to imagine what lies beyond." are sooo evocative, contrasting with down-to earth memories like "The occasional kids who shoplift candy from the general store or get caught in cow-tipping pranks inevitably serve their community sentences with bowed heads and guilt-ridden shame. Petty offenses, really, but well-timed disapproving looks from people with long memories are enough to keep most folks in check.")

I'm not surprised, though. Before registering here, I've been a reader of yours for years I cannot remember how many, but I've been watching the show since it first aired in France, found the lcfanfic archives not so very long after it was launched, and kept reading...), and I know what to expect from the incredible author you are.

I eagerly await the 4 other vignettes.

Thank you.
A 50-something French happily married female.

groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Oh, wow! Thank you, Millefeuilles, for coming out of lurkdom to leave that beautiful message. A real piece of my soul went into this story, and it's powerful and gratifying to know that it was so well-received. And thank you for your support of my other stories as well - positive feedback is truly appreciated.

This was never intended to be a series; certainly, I believe other women in Smallville would have similar stories to tell, but the title refers to the statistic, to the label affixed to me when I was fourteen years old. I have spent my life determined to be more than a tragic number, to transform my experience into something other than a nightmare that even thirty years later can be recalled in horrifying detail. I use my voice to speak for those who can't ; I use myself as an example for my fourteen-year old students. Never let your worst day define you. Reclaim your power, rise above, and you win in the end.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Never let your worst day define you. Reclaim your power, rise above, and you win in the end.
Truly words to live by. I'm sorry you had to pay such a horrible price to gain that wisdom.

It took a lot of courage to make yourself vulnerable again by writing and sharing this story.

Thank you,
Lynn

Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow. Very beautiful, powerful story. The courage you showed in writing this story is awe-inspiring. While you may never know how many lives this story touches, I believe that it is helping those touched by incidents like this, and those who have other struggles. notworthy

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Early in my career, one of the school counselors came to me. A student had revealed in an anonymous survey that she had been sexually assaulted and felt afraid every day. The counselors could only determine that the survey came from someone in my class, and asked if I could help find the girl. That day, I told my story to every one of my classes, (glossing over the graphic details). Over the course of that year, students came to me and talked about their own issues, knowing they had someone who would listen and care.

Ten years later, a woman came to my classroom after school, and I instantly recognized her with a sinking feeling of certainty. She asked if I had remembered that day and the survey, and revealed that she had written it. But then she told me that I was her hero. That she had spoken about me with her personal counselor throughout that year. That I had inspired her with the hope that she could grow into someone bold and confident and successful. That she didn't need to end her life, because life would get better.

Sometimes you don't know all the ways your life touches the people around you. But I know that I reclaimed the power that was stolen from me at 14 and gave it to a girl the same age who needed it. That my life has a meaning and purpose that can never be taken away.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This was never intended to be a series; certainly, I believe other women in Smallville would have similar stories to tell, but the title refers to the statistic, to the label affixed to me when I was fourteen years old.

Oops. I posted my FDK before reading the thread, so I didn't know that beforehand.
Indeed, the title emphasizes the depth of your story.

I'd be curious to learn what happened to them, the mother and the child...

I have spent my life determined to be more than a tragic number, to transform my experience into something other than a nightmare that even thirty years later can be recalled in horrifying detail. I use my voice to speak for those who can't ; I use myself as an example for my fourteen-year old students. Never let your worst day define you. Reclaim your power, rise above, and you win in the end.

Amen to that!
And you do it so beautifully, here, with that story, and in RL too, judging on what you achieved. You can be quite proud of being the human being that you are.

I guess this is one of the reason you write such a great Clark Kent: many of his qualities find their roots in the author.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The aftermath...

Seeing the news today and the riots that break out...

This story touches home pretty well. What happens after the battle? You captured the one, the statistic very well in this story. Very powerful and very moving.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard