Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#269459 03/20/16 05:56 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I just saw a preview for the new cartoon show aimed at girls from DC Comics: Super Hero Girls. (Yes, that's literally it's name. [Linked Image] )

I'm curious what you guys think.

My first thoughts were that it was another patronizing nitch show set in high school with the same old, same old plot lines (i.e. ala Monster High, Ever After High, Barbie High, Lego Friends... get the picture). From some reason, Hollywood thinks girls only want to watch shows set in high school with adjusting to teen angst.

When I showed this (or another similar one, showing less guys) preview to my 11 y.o. daughter and asked her opinion, she said that it looked good. I asked her if it didn't her remind her of other shows (mentioned above) and she commented that she liked super heroes (we're still waiting for Netflix to download the second or is it 3rd season of Young Justice to the Instant List) and not monsters or princesses, so wasn't interested in watching the other shows.

I, personally, would like another type of show available for kids. One that had equal amounts of girls and guys, and less teen angst, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Have you seen this show (or it's preview)? What are your thoughts?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I read the synopsis on the back of the comic book that ties in with the show, and I wasn't overly impressed. I'm pretty annoyed that several of the headlining "super hero" girls are villains. I know that Harley Quinn is more popular than is reasonable right now, but there are plenty of actual super heroes that are ignored. (I'm glad that they're using Bumble Bee and some of the others that we don't usually see, though.) What about Big Barda? Fire and Ice? Flamebird? Is Raven in it? I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't use Wonder Girl since Wonder Woman is still in high school, but there are a bunch of other girls from the Teen Titans that they could use.

I also find the trend towards setting girl-aimed shows in high school strange. Take My Little Pony, for example. The ponies are young-ish adults. They're young enough that their little sisters are still in school, but they live independently and have jobs. Then they travel to another dimension and turn human, and suddenly they're all high school students. Why are they suddenly teenagers worried about going to the dance and winning the school talent competition, when as ponies they were saving entire kingdoms in between spazzy song and dance numbers?

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Took a look at the trailer. Nothing new here.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard